Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,263 members, 7,864,375 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 05:05 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5692) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11952359 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5689) (5690) (5691) (5692) (5693) (5694) (5695) ... (16370) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by opes: 8:56pm On Mar 29, 2019
Alfryd:

don't forget that keshi Substituted Martin @51minute he didn't even give him opportunity to show himself

I can't forget the look on Martin face that day after the Sub

He was substituted after 61 minutes rather and Ahmed that replaced him provided the assist for Oduamadi..Martins himself apologized after the match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 8:59pm On Mar 29, 2019
Earthquake2:
Agbolanhor has retired from football at 32 years
if he was Naija born they'll say his real age is 42yrs

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Alfryd: 9:06pm On Mar 29, 2019
opes:

He was substituted after 61 minutes rather and Ahmed that replaced him provided the assist for Oduamadi..Martins himself apologized after the match
apologize for what bros
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 9:23pm On Mar 29, 2019
wayodude:

Ranieri and Pellegrini have won the premier League. Will you pick them over Klopp and Pochettino who have never won anything?

Not belittling Keshi's achievement but winning 1 title does not make one better than other who haven't. Keshi was good enough to achieve more save for his selections wahala.

Oliseh was good enough to achieve more save for his short temper, poor man management (fighting with enyeama etc) and unprofessionalism (Twitter manager grin)

Siasia was good enough to achieve more save for him thinking he is better than he actually is and bias towards certain players who no other managers in the same job EVER gave a look in, with good reason.

Rohr can achieve more if he is braver in his setup against stronger opposition.

We shall see...

I ended by saying "let us wait for Rohr"
You ended by saying ''We shall see..."

June is coming....may be the future might be for him in this forum like the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3MtznDeqg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:43pm On Mar 29, 2019
If VAR existed during the 2014 World Cup, we wouldn’t have advanced to the 2nd round.

We did not play well and drew to Iran. We got lucky against Bosnia.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:50pm On Mar 29, 2019
Between Rohr, Oliseh and Keshi's teams, which team played the best football?

Remove their number of wins, qualification for tourneys etc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 9:56pm On Mar 29, 2019
Taliban:

You have your points no doubt. Can you remind me of those several players dropped? And it was Congo that qualified instead of us not Sudan. By the way even with those crappy players and a player strike he made it to the 2nd round of the WC. And note we didnt cower before any team even with the carpenters and mechos we took. The person who took better players, no player strike, no injuries to a key midfield player what did they achieve?

I was referring to the away game against Sudan which was a must win and we ended up losing. Keshi called on Sunday Emmanuel from the bench to try to rescue the game grin

I think the 2014 team was very poor due to terrible selections. Joel Obi should have been in the team for Rueben Gabriel, Brown Ideye for Shola Ameobi, Sone Aluko for Uchebo, and personally I would have also expected Ike Uche have been there in place of young Nwofor. Shola had no business in the team even if we were naming 10 strikers!

Look at our bench against France again and you will realise just how bad the selections were. After Onazi went off injured we were left with no choice but to play the unfit Gabriel Ruben and promptly got destroyed by PogBA, Cabaye and Matuidi.

I expected the 2014 team in spite of all this to beat Iran, draw Bosnia and lose to Argentina. With this we had a chance of making the next round in which I expected us to lose with respect and head back home....and that was how it happened.

In 2018 I expected us to draw Croatia, beat Iceland and lose to Argentina. With a bit of luck make it to the next round and improve our game and with a good draw get to the quarters and then lose.

That didn't happen because Croatia were the revelation of the tournament and deservedly beat us and that was already game set match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 9:58pm On Mar 29, 2019
iSlayer2:

Between Rohr, Oliseh and Keshi's teams, which team played the best football?

Remove their number of wins, qualification for tourneys etc

You are saying to remove the success or lack of and simply judge on certain philosophy even when that philosophy was incompatible with the playing personnel selected and the team objectives?

I can't do that, that's ridiculous in my view sorry.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:58pm On Mar 29, 2019
Make una hear ighalo oo grin grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 10:13pm On Mar 29, 2019
elyte89:
I saw this a few days ago. Dude was clearly not thinking straight. Why not go on loan and prove yourself first before all this talk? He could always return to China if things don't work out.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:19pm On Mar 29, 2019
edi287:

I saw this a few days ago. Dude was clearly not thinking straight. Why not go on loan and prove yourself first before all this talk? He could always return to China if things don't work out.

Are you joking? Who will give him the opportunity to prove himself. How much opportunity has KPB had to prove himself. Would he get selected if he was sitting on the bench in Barca?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:26pm On Mar 29, 2019
elyte89:

Hmmmmmm.......

I have mixed feelings about this.

1. He is very confident about his ability and feels he deserves a permanent move. He's also afraid of going on loan and ending up as a perpetual bench warmer.

2. He anticipates a permanent move to a top European club and thus doesn't want to rush into signing with barca on loan.

In both cases above, he has a big point. However, as a Nigerian that wants to brag about players, I feel Ighalo should make move to a top euro club in the next transfer window. He needs to prove a point to himself and his naysayers (I was one of them at a point).

All in all, its good news in the sense that if barca has started to notice, other clubs are also noticing too

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:27pm On Mar 29, 2019
Bolowolowo:
If VAR existed during the 2014 World Cup, we wouldn’t have advanced to the 2nd round.

We did not play well and drew to Iran. We got lucky against Bosnia.

Yes and if there was VAR at the 2000 AFCON we would be 4 time champions grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 29, 2019
wayodude:

You are saying to remove the success or lack of and simply judge on certain philosophy even when that philosophy was incompatible with the playing personnel selected and the team objectives?

I can't do that, that's ridiculous in my view sorry.

Bolded: I don't know what you're talking about. You're overdoing it.

What I asked is quite straightforward.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:04pm On Mar 29, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Are you joking? Who will give him the opportunity to prove himself. How much opportunity has KPB had to prove himself. Would he get selected if he was sitting on the bench in Barca?
KDB isn't getting selected because he played shit when he did.
Ighalo would've played a few times if he came.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:42pm On Mar 29, 2019
edi287:

KDB isn't getting selected because he played shit when he did.
Ighalo would've played a few times if he came.

Played poo how? I forgot where I am. Yes any player that doesn't score a goal must have played poo.

KDB is only there to give Suarez some rest. Nobody expected him to give him a run for his position. Why would Ighalo enter that kind of one chance?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:59pm On Mar 29, 2019
darkelf:

Shebi him talk say him name no be Ibe. He says its Aibe. Trying so hard to be English. That didn't still get him noticed by the national team

Unfortunately Jordan did not have the priveledge of being brought by his Father. He was absent from his life at a very early age.

He was essentially brought up by his Jamaican step Father. As a result he has very little affinity for anything Nigerian.

Who will you blame for that, the innocent child
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:01am On Mar 30, 2019
edi287:

Then why did he play Emenike as a CF in the WC? For me he messed up in inviting Ameobi over Brown Ideye. He said Ideye wasn't scoring yet he replaced him with Ameobi who was even poorer.

Emenike played a lot with his strength and was able to cover up with it. As for Ameobi, the game against Italy is a good enough answer.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:01am On Mar 30, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Played poo how? I forgot where I am. Yes any player that doesn't score a goal must have played poo.

KDB is only there to give Suarez some rest. Nobody expected him to give him a run for his position. Why would Ighalo enter that kind of one chance?

Sorry, are you talking about kevin Prince Boateng?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:03am On Mar 30, 2019
komekn:

Unfortunately Jordan did not have the priveledge of being brought by his Father. He was absent from his life at a very early age.

He was essentially brought up by his Jamaican step Father. As a result he has very little affinity for anything Nigerian.

Who will you blame for that, the innocent child

Okay. Now I get it

Thanks for the clarification
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:03am On Mar 30, 2019
darkelf:

I will remind you and oga forgiveness if either of the following happens:

Mikel refuses to play in the AFCON but we still play well and possibly win it

Mikel gets injured and is sidelined this missing the AFCON (a big IF ooo, please i am not praying for this) but we still play well and possibly win it

Mikel is selected but his impact isn't felt or is so minimal because others have stepped up to take the mantle.

Rohr chooses not to even look at Mikels direction when picking his team for AFCON (very unlikely but who knows) but we give an excellental showing at the tournament.

Please name one player not two that can currently replace Mikel.

My unit of measurement is selection is recognition of Consistent continous top class outstanding performances in your club and league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:07am On Mar 30, 2019
I don’t apply sentiments at all. If the team looks good to go just before the tourney I will throw my entire weight on them. Prior to the WC proper SE had lackluster performances in most of their friendlies. So how will that inspire my confidence? Do I want Naija to win the AFCON, yes. But if it doesn’t look likely, I will say it as it is.

kellycute:
I have notice your critical attitude toward the team each time we are going for a major tournament. You are fond of supporting the team when there ain't nothing at stake but the moment we are going for a tounament, you switch to negative rhetoric. You did the same thing prior to the world cup which Hella shocked the shi.t out of icon4s. You became so critical and negative to the extent some people be like.... "joebi na you be dis".
Nation cup is around the corner and you are free to switch to your default mode.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:08am On Mar 30, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

This Obagoal own was one I found funny. Keshi liked big strikers because he liked them drifting wide to become target men for the long balls. Then they hold up play and the other forwards and creative players join them there.

That was why he did not want Martins, Uche and to a less extent, Osaze striking. However, the whole media was that he must play them when they did not fit into his tactical plans or ready to bend to fit in.

It's not always about size, do you know that Obagoal had a very high jump rate. Overcoming much taller defenders add to that all the other attributes he brings.

That's a very weak rational basis for his exclusion.

When you then looked at the no hoppers he selected in his place. It is simply incomprehensible and leaves him open to many unsavoury questions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:09am On Mar 30, 2019
andrew444:

Good cover up ,are we talking about footballing reason or money reason and who knows solanke and jordan are not rich ?

But why are you lying that any of them is earning 70k weekly ?

But I also hope you don't pity Isaac success who you called a waste man because he also have a good account balance and earning about 35k weekly

The subject is PITY not football.

And the context is there is nothing to pity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:14am On Mar 30, 2019
Fair enough. Foreigner or not.
mostob:
On Rohr....
he have tried even though he has shortcomings, that shows he is human. You see, I don't like blaming players or coaches simply because playing and coaching ain't easy as we see it or better still watch it on TV. majority of guys here blaming Rohr,if given the SE WC squad can't qualify from a group comprising crown FC ,Sunshine stars and Remo stars.
The only option now is for NFF to retire Salisu Yusuf and bring in Unknown but proven tactically astute coach maybe from our league. This will complement and strengthen Rohr's weakness.
o pari

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:38am On Mar 30, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Emenike played a lot with his strength and was able to cover up with it. As for Ameobi, the game against Italy is a good enough answer.
Honestly I don't think Emenike was that good as a lone striker. He was better playing alongside a target man or coming from wide positions like he did back at Fenerbache.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:40am On Mar 30, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Because he could get a better move if he performed well or even decently.
They'd always be Chinese clubs interested in him. He could even get an epl move if he played decently enough.
Oh and do you think KPB has done well since he arrived??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:44am On Mar 30, 2019
edi287:

Because he could get a better move if he performed well or even decently.
They'd always be Chinese clubs interested in him. He could even get an epl move if he played decently enough.
Oh and do you think KPB has done well since he arrived??

No European team will pay Ighalo what he is earning in China. I doubt, he is too keen on returning to Europe and if he does, he has to take a pay cut.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:53am On Mar 30, 2019
komekn:

Please name one player not two that can currently replace Mikel.

My unit of measurement is selection is recognition of Consistent continous top class outstanding performances in your club and league.

I am throwing the challenge back to you with respect to Mikel.

If he was that good, he would be playing in a premiership team and npt in the English Championship
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:37am On Mar 30, 2019
darkelf:

If he was that good, he would be playing in a premiership team and npt in the English Championship

Nah, Mikel is good enough for the premier league. In his short spell back, he has been the best midfielder in the championship.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:03am On Mar 30, 2019
wayodude:

Ranieri and Pellegrini have won the premier League. Will you pick them over Klopp and Pochettino who have never won anything?

Not belittling Keshi's achievement but winning 1 title does not make one better than other who haven't. Keshi was good enough to achieve more save for his selections wahala.

Oliseh was good enough to achieve more save for his short temper, poor man management (fighting with enyeama etc) and unprofessionalism (Twitter manager grin)

Siasia was good enough to achieve more save for him thinking he is better than he actually is and bias towards certain players who no other managers in the same job EVER gave a look in, with good reason.

Rohr can achieve more if he is braver in his setup against stronger opposition.

We shall see...

History will always never forget Ranieri's feat with Leicester. Poch will win laurels in due time, Klopp won titles in German. Finally they don't belittle their teams.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:16am On Mar 30, 2019
darkelf:

This is simple question,is there any good replacement for Mikel in SE.

I think at his age,playing in championship is not a bad idea but EPL would have been great deal.

Oh Mikel not good enough for EPL?He is good enough for EPL based on his performance in championship so far.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5689) (5690) (5691) (5692) (5693) (5694) (5695) ... (16370) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dijon, villagereporter(m), ddone, justvictor57(m), Ppogbae, Lawag3, gatecrash123, Theben(m), Odunayaw(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.