Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,952 members, 7,835,175 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5706) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11778762 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5703) (5704) (5705) (5706) (5707) (5708) (5709) ... (16193) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:14pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

If Rodgers had Iheanacho in plans he would have been giving him gametime

Gabriel Jesus gets 15 to 20 minutes every match that does not mean he's better than Aguero

So to you, the situation of the game is the same at Manchester City.

Let me elucidate you a bit.

Manchester City scores loads in a lot of games. If we are 2 or 3 goals up, we can afford to bring in Gabriel Jesus earlier. If we have not scored, we can afford to bring Gabby earlier too.

Now with your straight and untwisted narrative, tell us the strategic reason why Leicester City who were a goal up and controlling the game should have brought in Iheanacho.

I will give you the two options.

Either they take off a midfielder or defender to bring in an extra striker or
Take off Vardy for Nacho. So tell us why.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:15pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

If that is what you are saying, it is not true. Especially playing under Shakespeare and Puel. Nah.

None would have benched Nacho and none will. You believe in two years they would have by being on the bench with little playing time. Come on.

Yet lots of you want Nacho crucified for being benched by one of the best in the English Premier league.

As I said, let's wait and see what Rogers does at the end of the season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:15pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

So to you, the situation of the game is the same at Manchester City.

Let me elucidate you a bit.

Manchester City scores loads in a lot of game. If we are 2 I'd 3 goals up, we can afford to bring in Gabriel Jesus earlier. If we have not scored, we can afford to bring Gabby earlier too.

Now with your straight and untwisted narrative, tell us the strategic reason why Leicester City who were a goal up and controlling the game should have brought in Iheanacho.

I will give you the two options.

Either they take off a midfielder or defender to bring in an extra striker or
Take off Vardy for Nacho. So tell us why.

You know they don't have to do that, stop getting extreme. Barnes and Gray are not pivotal parts of the team

A coach looking for an excuse to bring in an understudy striker would remove them in an instant
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:16pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

The two attackers are disposable, Barnes has hardly scored a goal this season, Gray is inconsistent

If Iheanacho does not get on the field it is not because of greatness of competition

Rodgers has said Nacho is a top striker and that is his role under him. So are you saying Rodgers should go against his assessment and play Nacho where he believes he will not get the best from Nacho?

They had Ghezzal who is brilliant playing the wide roles on the bench. If you are taking any of the wide players, Ghezzal gets picked and that is exactly what Rodgers did.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 01, 2019
OK, what's going on? Francis Uzoho, got a red card today. Shey e just return from ban?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:19pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Rodgers has said Nacho is a top striker and that is his role under him. So are you saying Rodgers should go against his assessment and play Nacho where he believes he will not get the best from Nacho?

We had Ghezzal who is brilliant playing the wide roles on the bench. If you are taking any of the wide players, Ghezzal get picked and that is exactly what Rodgers did.

You have not seen two strikers play together?

Rodgers used the 3-4-1-2 a lot in Liverpool not like he's new to it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:19pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

Barnes

It will be a tactical suicide, taking off Barnes from the midfield to bring a striker when Leicester City was leading and controlling the game.

Taking off a midfielder will reduce the numerical strength in the midfield and give Bournemouth an edge to control the game. Rodgers was not going to gamble with his team's control. So your take off Barnes for Iheanacho is totally invalid.

So please, give us a straight narrative why you feel Nacho should have come in early because your remove Barnes is wrong.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:21pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

You have not seen two strikers play together?

Rodgers used the 3-4-1-2 a lot in Liverpool not like he's new to it

You are talking of a different scenario. We are talking of the Bournemouth game on the 30th. Not Liverpool. Brendan Rodgers did not start with two strikers but one striker. He got the lead. So why should Nacho come in earlier than he did when Leicester City were leading and controlling the game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:22pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

It will be a tactical suicide, taking off Barnes from the midfield to bring a striker when Leicester City was leading and controlling the game.

Taking off a midfielder will reduce the numerical strength in the midfield and give Bournemouth an edge to control the game. Rodgers was not going to gamble with his team's control. So your take off Barnes for Iheanacho is totally invalid.

So please, give us a straight narrative why you feel Nacho should have come in early because your remove Barnes is wrong.

Reread my earlier statement and not that Barnes and Gray play either side of Vardy as wingers
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:22pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Reread my earlier statement and note that Barnes and Gray play either side of Vardy as wingers
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:25pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

You are talking of a different scenario. We are talking of the Bournemouth game on the 30th. Not Liverpool. Brendan Rodgers did not start with two strikers but one striker. He got the lead. So why should Nacho come in earlier than he did when Leicester City were leading and controlling the game.

I'm not talking about the Bournemouth game, I'm assessing Rodgers four matches as a whole

It seems like you're twisting narratives and bandying false facts in order to escape from this argument

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:25pm On Apr 01, 2019
Bolowolowo:

Breaking News: Hakimi sidelined for rest of the season and will most likely miss AFCON. This is a massive blow to Morocco.

Big blow for Morocco. but I think they will be fine as long as Ziyech is around... that guy is damn good...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:26pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

Reread my earlier statement and not that Barnes and Gray play either side of Vardy as wingers

They had Ghezzal on the bench. If you are taking Gray or Barnes off, then the person who comes in is a natural player who plays wide. That was Ghezzal and that was exactly what Rodgers did.

Are you saying Rodgers should be tactical naive and play his natural striker (Nacho) wide when he had a brilliant and creative wide player like Ghezzal on the bench?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:28pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

I'm not talking about the Bournemouth game, I'm assessing Rodgers four matches as a whole

It seems like you're twisting narratives and bandying false facts in order to escape from this argument

We are talking about yesterday after Brendan Rodgers spoke on Nacho's and improving him. By the way, Bournemouth game is one of the four matches.

Give us true facts and straight narrative. I am still waiting.

Why do you think Nacho should have come in earlier. Give us the untwisted narrative.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:29pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

If Rodgers had Iheanacho in plans he would have been giving him gametime

Gabriel Jesus gets 15 to 20 minutes every match that does not mean he's better than Aguero

Oga man city are going for 4 trophies, why wouldn't Gabriel get more time? Don't you think that is a little different from a team only facing the league and playing once a week?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:31pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

They had Ghezzal on the bench. If you are taking Gray or Barnes off, then the person who comes in is a natural player who plays wide. That was Ghezzal and that was exactly what Rodgers did.

Are you saying Rodgers should be tactical naive and play his natural striker (Nacho) wide when he had a brilliant and creative wide player like Ghezzal on the bench?

If Barnes is changed the person who gets in is the most important attacker on the bench the team would then be subjected to a formation change

You don't tell me Rodgers would be foolish enough to leave a striker who 'he believes' is a goal potential and puts in Ghezzal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:33pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

We are talking about yesterday after Brendan Rodgers spoke on Nacho's and improving him. By the way, Bournemouth game is one of the four matches.

Give us true facts and straight narrative. I am still waiting.

Why do you think Nacho should have come in earlier. Give us the untwisted narrative.

I'm talking about Rodgers situation with Iheanacho

If you're limiting it to the Bournemouth game maybe we are having different arguments
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:37pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

I'm talking about Rodgers situation with Iheanacho

If you're limiting it to the Bournemouth game maybe we are having different arguments

Which kind of limiting?

You are the one that said Nacho should be getting 15-20 minutes each game. I said, tell me about Bournemouth game. You can see you have no reason just that Rodgers should pull out game time out of his a**.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:39pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

If Barnes is changed the person who gets in is the most important attacker on the bench the team would then be subjected to a formation change

You don't tell me Rodgers would be foolish enough to leave a striker who 'he believes' is a goal potential and puts in Ghezzal

Hilarious. So when Guardiola wants to change Sterling when he needs a natural wide player, you will advice him to bring in Gabriel Jesus instead of Leroy Sane.

This one is tactical assassination. (sorry, could not let it pass.)

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:41pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Which kind of limiting?

You are the one that said Nacho should be getting 15-20 minutes each game. I said, tell me about Bournemouth game. You can see you have no reason just that Rodgers should pull out game time out of his a**.

I have given you the most fundamental reason

If you impress in training you get game time, and for Iheanacho to get 7mins out of a possible 380 that means the coach does not believe in him

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:44pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Hilarious. So when Guardiola wants to change Sterling when he needs a natural wide player, you will advice him to bring in Gabriel Jesus instead of Leroy Sane.

If Guardiola wants to make an attacking change and Aguero is on the bench who does he bring?

Chelsea were losing against Cardiff and Hazard was on the bench guess who came on?

This is football 101 undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:48pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Sterling is a more important attacker than Jesus

An important attacker doesn't mean you have to be a CF
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:52pm On Apr 01, 2019
Tactical breakdown of the improvement we should expect from Ndidi in the coming weeks.

The former Liverpool manager admitted that Ndidi’s ability to read game and win tackles is crucial for Leicester City.

Rodgers is pleased, although he is still hoping to make Ndidi a better player.

My teams, I like them to defend forward,” said Rodgers. “The set-up was good, so we had a good base, and Ndidi nips in, anticipates and gets a touch on it.

“He’s good boy but he needs to tidy up his feet. He’s got good agility, he gets around the pitch, he breaks the game up, he does all the dirty work, but then when he has the ball, it’s just improving his ability to make the first pass.

“But I like him, he’s a good boy. He’s got a good mentality and he does a lot of the dirty work that people perhaps don’t see.”

https://www.today.ng/sport/football/brendan-rodgers-kelechi-iheanacho-great-talent-203316/amp

I think in the last game, we saw a vast improved Wilfred Ndidi. Especially when he had the ball. His passing has greatly improved, he even worked harder and was more confident on the ball. As for me, the most improved Leicester City player so far.

Brendan Rodgers talked about his team defending forward. Meaning when they lose the ball, they will fight for the ball by pressing, instead of sitting back. Meaning Ndidi will play a more active defending role with time to come.

Another big part Ndidi will play as the team transforms is in the build up play. Because he is going to win a lot of balls, the Leicester City team will explore a lot of spaces when they get the ball back. Rodgers will work on improving Ndidi's passing because when they win the ball, a lot of times Ndidi will have to pass the ball to an available player in space.

This will in turn make Ndidi a very improved player. Interesting time ahead for our players working with Rodgers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:52pm On Apr 01, 2019
Iwobi starts for Arsenal

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:53pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe, so what happens if Nacho never get to play in an offensive setup throughout his career?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:54pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

Brendan Rodgers stated clearly he is only playing Nacho in the nine role. Just like Vardy. He is never subbing Vardy or Nacho to play wide. He had Ghezzal on the bench and Ghezzal came in to play his natural role.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:00pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:
Iwobi starts for Arsenal

Iwobi burst my bubbles always

I once said Denis Suarez is better than him ,but sorry he is now a better player than Denis Suarez because Denis Suarez has been sitting on the bench since his arrival

Many of us here including my self thought the arrival of Denis Suarez will affect Iwobi but it's otherwise
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:03pm On Apr 01, 2019
junnyjake:
TheGoodJoe, so what happens if Nacho never get to play in an offensive setup throughout his career?

That is where the gain of knowledge comes in. Nacho will get to understand himself more and will know he needs to play in a side and system that suits him.

For now he is training under the right system and with a brilliant manager. Let us see how he fares when he gets limited chances.

Either way, players should study their transfers better. It can make or break them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:05pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

Nacho is only playing the striking role for Rodgers for now. He has made it clear. Just as you will not see him playing Vardy wide too. So expecting Rodgers to play Nacho wide is farfetched.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:06pm On Apr 01, 2019
Earthquake2:

If Guardiola wants to make an attacking change and Aguero is on the bench who does he bring?

Chelsea were losing against Cardiff and Hazard was on the bench guess who came on?

This is football 101 undecided

Leicester City were leading so your Chelsea analogy is totally off. Leicester City were in control and leading. They did not need to force a goal. They had to secure their goal first.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 8:07pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Nacho is only playing the striking role for Rodgers for now. He has made it clear. Just as you will not see him playing Vardy wide too. So expecting Rodgers to play Nacho wide is farfetched.

Nobody mentioned about Vardy or Nacho playing wide

I mentioned 3-4-1-2 20 times in this thread don't you get it?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 8:08pm On Apr 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Leicester City were leading so your Chelsea analogy is totally off. Leicester City were in control and leading. They did not need to force a goal. They had to secure their goal first.

Control, leading as if another goal would have been hurt Leicester grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5703) (5704) (5705) (5706) (5707) (5708) (5709) ... (16193) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: viciati(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.