Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,753 members, 7,862,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (576) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11940604 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (16352) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 12:51am On Feb 17, 2017
I hope you're joking. I mean, you can't be serious!

Listen, I would rather that we play against a team with a brand new coach who doesn't even know his best team and/or his best tactics yet. Rather than go against a coach who has proven that he could perform wonders. This is just like saying that you'd rather take on Antonio Conte's Chelsea right now rather than to play against Chelsea in the first month of the league.

O pari

AIG07:

I hope he(H. Broos) stay on the job.

I do believe that preparation is 'a' step to success n
A known enemy is far better than unknown friend.

A reshuffling of the the camerounians coaching crew 'may' be our undoing as complacency will set in and will affect our preparation.

Remember the new coach will bring new, tactics, approach and players who will want to impress their fans...thereby making them hardnut to crack.

We should not be carried away with what happened wit the Algerians-this is Cameroun.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:29am On Feb 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I am waiting. Explain how Ighalo lost form despite regular playing time. If Playing time guarantees top form and confidence.
you always paint a picture of no bothering about match time, your training does it all. Meanwhile plaayers train hard, go on loan or change club because they want to get match time not to spend all their career on the training pitch.

How do you tell as a fan if a player has lost form or gained form if he never play any match.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:41am On Feb 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Also explain to me how Caballero's (Manchester City's goalkeeper) passing improved without playing much games.
Players trained with the aim of playing and not the other way round.
You talk as if Caballero was the only one training and Bravo don't attend training sessions.
The case of Caballero and Bravo is what we say "wetin you dey find for sokoto, e dey for your shokoto"

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:42am On Feb 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I am waiting. Explain how Ighalo lost form despite regular playing time. If Playing time guarantees top form and confidence.

He also lost his father.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 2:13pm On Feb 17, 2017
tbaba1234:
An associate of Iheanacho has said "enquiries have come in already" for Kelechi and that he could leave "on loan or permanently." [ESPN]
he shall leave permanently
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 2:37pm On Feb 17, 2017

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:38pm On Feb 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The cold hard truth is that it is easy to pass a low quality defender into a top team than a more advance player. That is why players like Jones, Evans, Smalling and Callum Chambers landed deals in big clubs.

When Villas-Boas played John Terry in a high line, he was reminiscent of the John Terryble we used to know. Very poor but that is a player who is one of the tops in the history of the EPL. Stay deep, kick and puff. That was why Mancini dropped Lescott for Nastastic.

Our defenders are better on the ball than some of these players in the so called big leagues and clubs. They find it difficult to break in because of the amount of room for wack players to shine.

Cream always rises to the top, eventually top players will get noticed and will be recognised with a move to a top club.

Callum Chambers is a product of the manipulation and packaging of average players marketed as exceptional.
However, I don't think that Smalling and Jones are mediocre. Defenders in England are expected to defend first and the play second.

Your proposition is not entirely true. We still find the best CB defenders in the top clubs. Yes, a few lemons do get through but the quality CB's are still predominantly in the top clubs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:05pm On Feb 17, 2017
komekn:

Cream always rises to the top, eventually top players will get noticed and will be recognised with a move to a top club.

Callum Chambers is a product of the manipulation and packaging of average players marketed as exceptional.
However, I don't think that Smalling and Jones are mediocre. Defenders in England are expected to defend first and the play second.

Your proposition is not entirely true. We still find the best CB defenders in the top clubs. Yes, a few lemons do get through but the quality CB's are still predominantly in the top clubs.

U nailed it,we don't need to generalise issues when we are talking of quality CB or defenders in general.

As u have said,quality defenders are still predominantly in d top clubs.I don't think we have defenders who are better than Chris Smalling and Jones Evans though i don't rate d duo but we need to be candid.

Apart from Leon Balogun that is showing d class and with injury free is a defender to d top,pls watch Algeria match and u notice what am saying.

The present Super Eagle defenders need to raise their game so that they can attract top clubs coz we need it in our national team but having our defenders struggling in smaller clubs is out of it.

I remember Eagles produced top class defenders like Taribo West(Inter Milan,Ac Milan)Celestine Babayaro(Chelsea,Anderlecht,Newcastle)Joseph Yobo(Marseille,Everton)Stephen Keshi(Anderlecht)Chidi Nwanu(Anderlecht)Taiye Taiwo(Merseile,Ac Milan)Uche Okechucwu(Fernabache)Chidi Odiah(CSKA Moscow)Godwin Opara(PSG)just to mention a few.

My man i love your analysis,no matter what we still have largest percentage of top quality defenders at d top clubs though we still have average ones who find their way to d top but this is not peculiar to defenders alone.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:12pm On Feb 17, 2017
enomakos:
he shall leave permanently

Cosigning!

O pari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2017
robosky02:
Make the guardian of experience catch you first grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:24pm On Feb 17, 2017
komekn:

Smalling and Jones are in no way to quality midfielders. Their success and reign can only stay in the EPL, where kick and push is the other of the day. You can not find these type of players in teams that express themselves during play. Can you see Jones and Smalling playing in teams like Juventus and Roma? These guys will not thrive in a high line pattern. Just defend. That makes it easy to push this kind of players.

How many English defenders today do you know can hold the ball like Stones? Meanwhile, Stones is not up there with some of the best in the game today. So, it is easier to drop a quality defending talent and push the likes Stones but difficult to push the many quality defending talents in Nigeria.

It is harder. Then add the English work permit rule to that.

I am talking of English clubs. Not top clubs. Very hard for most English defenders to become stars at Barcelona but Evans kept Pique on the bench at Manchester United.
cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:26pm On Feb 17, 2017
zicky:
Players trained with the aim of playing and not the other way round.
You talk as if Caballero was the only one training and Bravo don't attend training sessions.
The case of Caballero and Bravo is what we say "wetin you dey find for sokoto, e dey for your shokoto"

You did not answer the question and just rambled. Caballero has improved in his passing massively. His long balls are not crisp but his short passing is very impressive. He improved on the training pitch.

Look at your first sentence and you see the hole in it. Players train to IMPROVE to get playing time. Not playing time to improve. The training comes first. A big important factor.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 6:55pm On Feb 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You did not answer the question and just rambled. Caballero has improved in his passing massively. His long balls are not crisp but his short passing is very impressive. He improved on the training pitch.

Look at your first sentence and you see the hole in it. Players train to IMPROVE to get playing time. Not playing time to improve. The training comes first. A big important factor.
Caballero trained to improve, then what was Bravo doing, did he stop training

Training come first but Playing time the ultimate

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:37pm On Feb 17, 2017
Guardiola hails Iheanacho's for professionalism

[img]https://3.bp..com/-MuoVUJuqixg/WKc_neN_p5I/AAAAAAAADC4/tKr9sk2xTH4hSQPgeHHrW4SItzInHsFhQCLcB/s1600/Pep-Guardiola-kelechi-Iheanacho.jpg[/img]

Nigeria international Kelechi Iheanacho has gotten a pat on the back for his professionalism despite failing to get the much-craved playing time in recent times.

City Coach, Pep Guardiola told journalists on Friday that he knows that it is not easy for players to be happy when consistently being left out of action but the way Iheanacho and his teammates have taken the development is quite encouraging for the Spaniard.

“It’s not easy for the players who do not play and be out for a long, long time in many cases, like Kelechi Iheanacho, Nolito or the other players. Their behaviour has been more than professional, it was perfect, and Sergio too."

Meanwhile as reports suggest that Gabriel Jesus is out of the season, Guardiola says he believes all the other players can deliver in their own right.

He said: "I am not expecting Gabriel to do what Sergio does and I am not going to ask Sergio to do what Gabriel did.

“Every player has his quality. Just go there,play as best as possible and that’s all. Gabriel has his own qualities and Sergio has his own qualities.

“With both we are a stronger team. Now we've had an unlucky situation with Gabriel like we had with Gundogan and with the other players we are going to fight.”

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/02/guardiola-hails-iheanachos-for.html

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:58pm On Feb 17, 2017
zicky:

Now you are getting to the point. Bravo had playing time but did not work hard to improve his saving skills. Caballero worked very hard in training to improve. So the whole playing time as the ultimate is not true. The training is what makes the difference and the playing time is where you show your improvement, like what Caballero is doing. He is showing his improvements, not improving. He needs to keep working on his long balls in training.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:04pm On Feb 17, 2017
“Every player has his quality. Just go there,play as best as possible and that’s all."...Pep Guardiola (Manchester City coach)

No Coach keeps surprising me as Guardiola. What I see is that he is expecting Sergio and Nacho to bring on the goals.

If I am to give Iheanacho an advice, drop deep, move fast and avoid the defenders. Become the ultimate FALSE NINE.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:07pm On Feb 17, 2017
zicky:

Playing time is the Ultimate what?

Please, we are talking with respect to players improving. Note, Young player in question in this debate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:10pm On Feb 17, 2017
Kog45:
U nailed it,we don't need to generalise issues when we are talking of quality CB or defenders in general.

As u have said,quality defenders are still predominantly in d top clubs.I don't think we have defenders who are better than Chris Smalling and Jones Evans though i don't rate d duo but we need to be candid.

Apart from Leon Balogun that is showing d class and with injury free is a defender to d top,pls watch Algeria match and u notice what am saying.

The present Super Eagle defenders need to raise their game so that they can attract top clubs coz we need it in our national team but having our defenders struggling in smaller clubs is out of it.

I remember Eagles produced top class defenders like Taribo West(Inter Milan,Ac Milan)Celestine Babayaro(Chelsea,Anderlecht,Newcastle)Joseph Yobo(Marseille,Everton)Stephen Keshi(Anderlecht)Chidi Nwanu(Anderlecht)Taiye Taiwo(Merseile,Ac Milan)Uche Okechucwu(Fernabache)Chidi Odiah(CSKA Moscow)Godwin Opara(PSG)just to mention a few.

My man i love your analysis,no matter what we still have largest percentage of top quality defenders at d top clubs though we still have average ones who find their way to d top but this is not peculiar to defenders alone.

Did you notice that your list cut through generations? grin

Should I give you the list of English defenders playing in the English Premier League?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 8:31pm On Feb 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Playing time is the Ultimate what?

Please, we are talking with respect to players improving. Note, Young player in question in this debate.
Not just young players, our national team players. It will be very hard to convince to accept a national team player sitting on the bench in the name of improving in training.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:34pm On Feb 17, 2017
zicky:
Not just young players, our national team players. It will be very hard to convince to accept a national team player sitting on the bench in the name of improving in training.

Are you saying Iheanacho is not young? In terms of development, a player, especially young players gain more on the training pitch than with playing time.

Sir Alex Ferguson revealed that CR7 took over a hundred freekicks in training every time he trained. Do you think a player can achieve the results of such training with just regular playing time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:36pm On Feb 17, 2017
zicky:

I am not convincing you. I am showing you life analogies. I am talking of young players in general. Even a senior player like Caballero could improve in training. Leroy Sane improved in training and you are talking convince you.

Not hard to convince me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:38pm On Feb 17, 2017
zicky:

You still did not answer. You used Ultimate to describe playing time. So tell me what you mean by Playing time is the Ultimate... .. .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Harvard13(m): 10:04pm On Feb 17, 2017
otezu5:
Lambert Hails Ikeme, Enobakhare’s Showings In Wolves Defeat To Wigan

Wolverhampton Wanderers coach, Paul Lambert, has again praised Nigerian goalkeeper Carl Ikeme and his compatriot, Bright Enobakhare, for their brilliant performance in Tuesday's 1-0 loss to Wigan Athletic in the Sky Bet Championship, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Ikeme conceded his 30th goal of the English Football League – Championship season after Jake Buxton leapt high to head home a late corner for Wigan to stun Wolves.

And Lambert admits his side didn't deserve to win the game and also concedes that letting in a late goal was ‘poor’.

"It was really disappointing and I’m angry as well in the manner that we’ve lost the game," he begins in his post match interview.

"In any football game, you've got to earn the right to win the game and we’ve never earned the right to win that game – that’s the disappointing thing.

"Again, Carl Ikeme had one save to make and then we end up losing the game.

"I’ve got no problem with playing the kids … and Bright (Enobakhare) was very good himself."

It was Wolves' 32nd defeat of the campaign which sees them dropping to 18th position in the EFL Championship table with 35 points from 31 games.

Ikeme has made 26 appearances, keeping seven clean sheets.

Lambert whose side face Chelsea in the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday, adds that the Wolves will have to play much better if they must get any chance of progressing to the next round of the Cup.

"If you don't know what you're going into on Saturday, you'll never know,” Lambert continues.

"They won’t need me to say what kind of game it’s going to be like or what kind of team they're going to come up against.

"It’s a game where we will do what we can to try and go through – we’re going to have to play incredibly well and they will have to have an off-day, but Cup football can happen."

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/lambert-hails-ikeme-enobakhares-showings-wolves-defeat-wigan/#LH8aou6Xr2vI6yiR.99

Abeg how does someone have 32 defeats from 31 games??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 10:50pm On Feb 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You still did not answer. You used Ultimate to describe playing time. So tell me what you mean by Playing time is the Ultimate... .. .
Training is what your coach see, playing time is what the world see. There's no player in the world that don't train, what stand top players is what they can do in match situation not what they do in training. You don't win accolades by being a training material Bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 11:27pm On Feb 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I am not convincing you. I am showing you life analogies. I am talking of young players in general. Even a senior player like Caballero could improve in training. Leroy Sane improved in training and you are talking convince you.

Not hard to convince me.
am not sure Guardiola watched any of Gabriels training session before buying him to mancity, Ndidi had just one training session with Leicester before playing his first match, I believe training is overhype
If Iheanacho like he should train and sweat blood, Gabriel will still be ahead of him

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrinkWater10: 12:00am On Feb 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Smalling and Jones are in no way to quality midfielders. Their success and reign can only stay in the EPL, where kick and push is the other of the day. You can not find these type of players in teams that express themselves during play. Can you see Jones and Smalling playing in teams like Juventus and Roma? These guys will not thrive in a high line pattern. Just defend. That makes it easy to push this kind of players.

How many English defenders today do you know can hold the ball like Stones? Meanwhile, Stones is not up there with some of the best in the game today. So, it is easier to drop a quality defending talent and push the likes Stones but difficult to push the many quality defending talents in Nigeria.

I am talking of English clubs. Not top clubs. Very hard for most English defenders to become stars at Barcelona but Evans kept Pique on the bench at Manchester United.
cheesy
forget all this ball holding talk. Smalling and Jones Bally Rojo and even Blind are better defenders than stones.
Bally because of his experience in laliga alongside blind are much better ball players than john stones.
Go and watch Everton last season stones was consistently benched by Martinez because he couldnt do his basic duty which is defending.
man city were made to believe that there was competition for his signature among top sides in the league but the truth Is united, arsenal and chelsea secured better players at lower cost.
To think you thought that stones would make it in other leagues ahead of Jones nd smalling is even more surprising.
even Johny Evans is a better than john stones as on current form.
Aug 2016 https://www.reddit.com/r/MCFC/comments/4nzgxx/am_i_the_only_one_who_does_not_want_john_stones/
PS To say that Jones and Smalling will not start in As Roma is also quite laughable because John Fecking Stones would never get into the current Everton eleven.
If not that Eric Bally followed Didier Drogba's advice nd moved to united Stones would still be on Everton s bench who knows?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elrony(m): 12:31am On Feb 18, 2017
LMAOOOgrin grin grin

Wetin person no go see for here?

John "Fukcing" Stones, a defender,really?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PietroRico(m): 12:38am On Feb 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

cheesy
Smallling and Jones are different kind of defenders. While what you just said may be true for Smallling, it Is not for Jones.
Jones is not a ball shy defender, and has played in midfield several times, plus he's not slow..
There's absolutely no reason to suggest he will fail in a team like Roma.. lol or high defensive line system
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:46am On Feb 18, 2017
PietroRico:
Smallling and Jones are different kind of defenders. While what you just said may be true for Smallling, it Is not for Jones.
Jones is not a ball shy defender, and has played in midfield several times, plus he's not slow..
There's absolutely no reason to suggest he will fail in a team like Roma.. lol or high defensive line system

Watched Jones drift into midfield lots of games and watched him play in defensive midfield. However, he is very limited and does not have footballing abilities close to the likes of other quality defenders. He is not close to even Bailly, Rojo and Blind. Let alone Vertonghen, Alderweireld or Vermaelen.

He is limited.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:58am On Feb 18, 2017
DrinkWater10:

forget all this ball holding talk. Smalling and Jones Bally Rojo and even Blind are better defenders than stones.
Bally because of his experience in laliga alongside blind are much better ball players than john stones.
Go and watch Everton last season stones was consistently benched by Martinez because he couldnt do his basic duty which is defending.
man city were made to believe that there was competition for his signature among top sides in the league but the truth Is united, arsenal and chelsea secured better players at lower cost.
To think you thought that stones would make it in other leagues ahead of Jones nd smalling is even more surprising.
even Johny Evans is a better than john stones as on current form.
Aug 2016 https://www.reddit.com/r/MCFC/comments/4nzgxx/am_i_the_only_one_who_does_not_want_john_stones/
PS To say that Jones and Smalling will not start in As Roma is also quite laughable because John Fecking Stones would never get into the current Everton eleven.
If not that Eric Bally followed Didier Drogba's advice nd moved to united Stones would still be on Everton s bench who knows?

Na wa for you. You jumped in without even understanding the debate. grin grin

Rojo, Bailly and Blind are wonderful. I prefer them to Stones any day.

Coolu Temper. grin grin grin

I am talking of English defenders, compared to other defenders from other countries.

We are talking about why we do not have our defenders playing in top leagues and most especially the EPL.

I said, the English general style of defending makes it easy for a limited footballer like Evans to keep a quality player like Pique on the bench in Manchester United.

As for Stones and Everton, he will actually fit in because he has good ability on the ball. With a coach like Ronald Koeman who was brilliant on the ball as a defending footballer in his days, he would mould Stones to perform well. No doubt about that. Although, Koeman is doing a fantastic job with Ashley Williams. He really remoulded the guy into an outstanding player.

grin grin

Funny.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:00am On Feb 18, 2017
zicky:
Training is what your coach see, playing time is what the world see. There's no player in the world that don't train, what stand top players is what they can do in match situation not what they do in training. You don't win accolades by being a training material Bro

I am yet to see what this comment has to do with the development/improvement of a player. Does the World seeing a player make the player improve?

Major improvements come on the training pitch and not live games. You get the point. Daz all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (16352) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: typicalgamer(m), dijon, KpagoGIN(m), COOL10(m), MetalJigsaw(m), M7even(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.