Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,411 members, 7,853,810 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:33 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5862) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11889663 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5859) (5860) (5861) (5862) (5863) (5864) (5865) ... (16274) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 11:52am On May 02, 2019
forgiveness:

Atleast, the whole world agreed Liverpool dominated Barcelona. The scores didn't tell the the whole story.

Barca 3 vs Farmers league Liverpool 0

EOD

tongue

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:18pm On May 02, 2019
Earthquake3:

Laporte was signed from Valverde's Bilbao means Valverde is brilliant

What logic!!!

Can you tell me the style of football Barca plays, their pressing style and defensive shape

If you watched Liverpool yesterday, they dominated Barca at Camp Nou,(an aberration!) It was Messi's magic that turned the tie in Barca's favour

The same template has been repeated in Barca 's league matches

Laporte came in and fitted into City like a glove. Which means the strategy and tactics was not far from what we get at City. How you can refer to that as a coach who knows nothing about coaching is baffling.

Being dominated by Liverpool does not mean the coach is not good or knows nothing about coaching. He did not get to where he is by being a block head.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 12:23pm On May 02, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Laporte came in and fitted into City like a glove. Which means the strategy and tactics was not far from what we get at City. How you can refer to that as a coach who knows nothing about coaching is baffling.

Being dominated by Liverpool does not mean the coach is not good or knows nothing about coaching. He did not get to where he is by being a block head.

Laporte was a good player that's why Guardiola bought him, Valverde had nothing to do with it

For Liverpool coming to Barca to dominate Barca(A club that is revered for its domination of possession) at Camp Nou means the Coach is not getting his tactics right, Barca would have lost that match without Messi's brilliance
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 12:47pm On May 02, 2019
Earthquake3:

Laporte was a good player that's why Guardiola bought him, Valverde had nothing to do with it

For Liverpool coming to Barca to dominate Barca(A club that is revered for its domination of possession) at Camp Nou means the Coach is not getting his tactics right, Barca would have lost that match without Messi's brilliance

Point of correction, based on your logic, then there is no place for a coach na, since the players on the pitch can do the job.

During the match yesterday, wilnajum(or whatever is his name), Mane and Milner had a field day through Roberto's wing. Rakitic and Vidal were playing free roles but they never provided enough support for Busqets. Countinho was surplus in the attack, anytime there was a move, he was an extra body not needed. Valverde noticed this in the first half and which even continued in the second half.

Tactically, he removed countinho for semedo, switched the formation to 4-4-2. Roberto paired busqets in a double 4, Arturo Vidal and Rakitic could now play their free roles with less stress - heck! They could then play higher forward without fear. Messi who had been played wide all night then had a more central role.

And bang, Liverpool gengen pressing stopped and within few minutes a goal came. The goal looked like it came from nowhere but we all know it was from the masterclass substitution.

Liverpool was beaten fair and square. Forget about what ifs and what nots and focus on the end result.

As football fans, we must learn not to dwell on what would have happened if so so and so didn't happen rather we should be more concerned about what happened and how the match ended and give credit to who deserves it.

If Valverde didn't make that change, Messi would never had gotten the opportunity to score that second goal as the ongoing match sequence with Liverpool pressing earlier on would not have been altered.

Simples

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:20pm On May 02, 2019
do4luv14:
I dont know what's going on here,

I had wanted to share a post, about yesterdays game tactics

but some of us here discourage me with their posts, and comments,

and its making me to lose interest in this thread,

tbaba1234, and Icon4s,
you two are truly, the ones who keep this thread in shape,

others are just pretenders,

that being said,

this thread is all about Nigerians, and for Nigeria, so lets keep it so....
. thanks one love all

Chairman, I don invite you to CHS Old Students Association Group before.
Emma Amuneke and some other ex-footballers are there. We among other things discuss football a lot.

Our Old boy dey Coach Tanzania, come let's give him moral support and tactical ideas. wink

Just give me a mention on any other thread giving me ur phone number and u will be added within minutes. smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:02pm On May 02, 2019
do4luv14:
I dont know what's going on here,

I had wanted to share a post, about yesterdays game tactics

but some of us here discourage me with their posts, and comments,

and its making me to lose interest in this thread,

tbaba1234, and Icon4s,
you two are truly, the ones who keep this thread in shape,

others are just pretenders,

that being said,

this thread is all about Nigerians, and for Nigeria, so lets keep it so....
. thanks one love all

Share what is on your mind always. Do not let words or verbal attacks discourage you from expressing your mind.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:06pm On May 02, 2019
Earthquake3:

The coach chose to play the way he wants to, that does not make him any less a good tactician. Liverpool did not score, so how would they have won without Messi? Heck, Suarez scored before Messi. Without Messi's goals, it would have ended 1-0.

Bernardo Silva was a good player but he needed time to adapt to Guardiola's tactics. Same with Sane and others. However, tactically, Laporte was ready and walked into the starting line up. That is way beyond good players because the earlier mentioned are good players.

Valverde is a sound tactician.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:16pm On May 02, 2019
The only thing in that match that relates to this thread was Keita getting injured. Rakitic might have sealed 9 points for us grin

Btw wetin Mane dey vex for sef? As a Senegalese isn't he used to coming up short when it matters most? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:19pm On May 02, 2019
Earthquake3:

Oga the players that played at Afcon are below par, if he takes them to world cup he is not serious

Besides how can you expect to do well at world stage when you are whitewashed by African opponents

Losing in penalties now equals whitewashed to you?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:23pm On May 02, 2019
Earthquake3:

It seems Guardiola does your thinking for you

“I believe that Valverde is one of the best new coaches in Spain,” he told the press conference during the official presentation of the Spanish tactician. “He was our target due to the style of football that his teams were playing in Spain. We want Olympiacos to play modern, fast and beautiful football and I believe that he is capable of making that happen.”... Olympiacos owner, Sokratis Kokkalis

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/02/21/how-ernesto-valverde-remodelled-greek-football-during-his-defining-stints-at-olympiakos/

This was said just before Valverde started coaching Olympiakos
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:28pm On May 02, 2019
Icon4s:

Horrendous? Tell me which team dominated them in all 5 games they played. They even outplayed Mali (eventual winners) that we lost to in the semi-final.

Like I said before what the team needs is creativity in the Midfield and in the more advanced positions.

That team is not as bad as some of guys are tagging them to be. Remember also the terrible pitches in Niger.

Mark my words, some of those Foreign based Players will not be able to break into that team. And some of the foreign based/foreign borns that may make it through may not break into the team's starting 11.

If you tell me the Nigerian league lacks quality players who are 24/25 and above of course I will agree. But not U20 players.

Most of our quality at under 20 play in local academies or are already abroad. Many of who we parade from the NPFL are 24-25 year olds playing as under 20. Not all but many.

I think some of Aigbigun's invites are good quality, Dele-Bashiru for instance is highly rated at Man city even though contract renewal talks broke down. He is expected to join Atalanta in the summer. From the reports of their last friendly, his introduction changed the game. He looks like a proper steal for us.

I also think some of the foreign based are poor or average. Henry Offia is a poor player and Ash Kigbu can not displace the CBs.

It is a mixed bag.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:30pm On May 02, 2019
Icon4s:

Chairman, I don invite you to CHS Old Students Association Group before.
Emma Amuneke and some other ex-footballers are there. We among other things discuss football a lot.

Our Old boy dey Coach Tanzania, come let's give him moral support and tactical ideas. wink

Just give me a mention on any other thread giving me ur phone number and u will be added within minutes. smiley

ya,
am there already, you had added me before

nice one about the group,
have been trying to make mine own set of old school work,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:31pm On May 02, 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:31pm On May 02, 2019
Earthquake3:
Valverde is going to be the first coach to win Champions league without knowing anything about coaching

“In his first term, Valverde put his seal on Olympiacos and that’s why he is treated as a god in Greece,” said striker Darko Kovačević years later to praise his former coach. “He taught me many things and made me see football from a different perspective.”

Does this sound like a coach who knows nothing about football?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:38pm On May 02, 2019
tbaba1234:

Apart from Ozornwafor and Ogbu, which other player was impressive in the AFCON??

Yes, they got to the WC but they are not a strong size. The quality of the team was obvious in that tournament but we had time to boost quality.

Over the past few months, i expected the coach to look for more talents within the country but we are going to the final camp with the same bunch of players.

Now we are hoping that some foreign based boys might save the day.

The age thing is an open secret.. There is no need going into that. And the bribery story was from inside sources.

If there were many positives to concentrate on, i will do that.

Alhassan Ibrahim, Jamil Mohammed and the goalkeeper were impressive. Utin, Nazifi and the new Musa were not bums either. You add Samu, Kingsley Michael, a right back and Nnosiri to the team and I don't see why this should even be a conversation. The plan was always to improve the team. The coach was in contact with Samu before even you believed he would make it as a professional.

I am not saying the coach and team are all that but they should have done enough for you to at least give them your support. It just seems like you have something negative to post about this team every day.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 2:53pm On May 02, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Exclusive: Man City, Liverpool target Chukwueze 'really wants' England move

Read more at https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/exclusive-man-city-liverpool-target-chukwueze-really-wants-england-move-4279092#5FU8pVrzzQGGz1u4.99

The only club that fits him well is Liverpool, though he will start from the bench for one or two seasons, but city is never an option.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:56pm On May 02, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Exclusive: Man City, Liverpool target Chukwueze 'really wants' England move

Read more at https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/exclusive-man-city-liverpool-target-chukwueze-really-wants-england-move-4279092#5FU8pVrzzQGGz1u4.99

Garrett Bale is not wanted at Madrid. He doesn't want to go but Zidane has made it clear that he is not part of his plans going forward. They want Hazard but they need a left footer on the right wing.

I am not going to say any names but the Catalonia GOAT will be 35 in 2 seasons and in that time Villarreal have the quality to get back in the champions league. Now if Samu continues improving till then who says he won't be that big money buy that will help them turn a new chapter?

I am tempted by man city because Pep coached the player I pray Samu becomes but that is just a dream tbh. Pep can't make another Messi because he is not God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:01pm On May 02, 2019
do4luv14:

ya,
am there already, you had added me before

nice one about the group,
have been trying to make mine own set of old school work,

No that was the Facebook page. This one I am commenting about is the WhatsApp group. smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 3:04pm On May 02, 2019
forgiveness:

Atleast, the whole world agreed Liverpool dominated Barcelona. The scores didn't tell the the whole story.
they didn't dominate. checkout the stats. it was close

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:16pm On May 02, 2019
tbaba1234:

Most of our quality at under 20 play in local academies or are already abroad. Many of who we parade from the NPFL are 24-25 year olds playing as under 20. Not all but many.

I think some of Aigbigun's invites are good quality, Dele-Bashiru for instance is highly rated at Man city even though contract renewal talks broke down. He is expected to join Atalanta in the summer. From the reports of their last friendly, his introduction changed the game. He looks like a proper steal for us.

I also think some of the foreign based are poor or average. Henry Offia is a poor player and Ash Kigbu can not displace the CBs.

It is a mixed bag.

On ur first paragraph, most of those players who are 19 and 20 and are still in local academies are not good enough quality for the U20 national team. Period.

I am sure u know there are even 17 years olds already playing NPFL football. I know u may not agree with the age but not all NPFL players cheat with their age.

U can say our U20 NPFL players are
24-25 but that is just it a belief. U don't have any valid proof. Like i have said before, anyone with any valid proofs of age cheating should come up with them. If we had not seen Players like Success, Yahaya, Awoniyi, Uzoho, Iheanacho grow would u have believed they are 22 or less?

On the team selection, like I said before, not all the foreign players will bring quality. Any new players' inclusion must be justifiable. And not because he is foreign based or because u think a particular set of players are too old and so must be dropped.

I expect a very solid team when the 'best' of the foreign pros are infused.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 3:20pm On May 02, 2019
EmmGee:
they didn't dominate. checkout the stats. it was close
Stats don't tell the whole story

Liverpool had a huge chunk of possession in the opponents half
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 3:26pm On May 02, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Losing in penalties now equals whitewashed to you?

They were disgraceful at the Afcon, they never looked liked they would score any open goal at the tournament

If they cannot create any scoring chances against naive African opponents how do expect them to perform against well drilled European kids

I call it as I see it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 3:27pm On May 02, 2019
Earthquake3:

Stats don't tell the whole story

Liverpool had a huge chunk of possession in the opponents half
thats anothet way to look at it.

but i feel "dominated" should come into play with 65/70%-35/30 possesion. and shots in similar manner.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:31pm On May 02, 2019
Icon4s:

No that was the Facebook page. This one I am commenting about is the WhatsApp group. smiley

oh!!!!!
my phone doesn't. Support whatsapp,
its on of hose window phone, Lumia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:34pm On May 02, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Share what is on your mind always. Do not let words or verbal attacks discourage you from expressing your mind.

its about the tactics employed by Ernesto,

its a JOSE mourinho tactics,

he had been playing a double pivot, with two destroyers, hence packing the bus, and hitting on the counter with precision

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:36pm On May 02, 2019
Can you guys kindly create a Champions League thread and move over there? Its funny how Africans are obsessed about European league more than the Europeans....lmao

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:37pm On May 02, 2019
Earthquake3:

They were disgraceful at the Afcon, they never looked liked they would score any open goal at the tournament

If they cannot create any scoring chances against naive African opponents how do expect them to perform against well drilled European kids

I call it as I see it

Either you didn't see it or you are calling it all wrong. We scored goals in that tournament so your point already starts on a bow leg and they created chances but couldn't bury them. Then also the fact that new players will be carried along should tell you that you are way out of line here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:58pm On May 02, 2019
do4luv14:

its about the tactics employed by Ernesto,

its a JOSE mourinho tactics,

he had been playing a double pivot, with two destroyers, hence packing the bus, and hitting on the counter with precision

I think he is conservative due to the nature of players he is with and he is slowly building the team into an offensive weapon. Let us see what he does with De Jong when he arrives and he sets up the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:42pm On May 02, 2019
Earthquake3:

He is a good coach but not Barca quality

If so Only 2 coaches are Barca quality at the moment

And that's pep and klopp

Even allegri will not be considered as Barca quality
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:07pm On May 02, 2019
Icon4s:

On ur first paragraph, most of those players who are 19 and 20 and are still in local academies are not good enough quality for the U20 national team. Period.

I am sure u know there are even 17 years olds already playing NPFL football. I know u may not agree with the age but not all NPFL players cheat with their age.

U can say our U20 NPFL players are
24-25 but that is just it a belief. U don't have any valid proof. Like i have said before, anyone with any valid proofs of age cheating should come up with them. If we had not seen Players like Success, Yahaya, Awoniyi, Uzoho, Iheanacho grow would u have believed they are 22 or less?

On the team selection, like I said before, not all the foreign players will bring quality. Any new players' inclusion must be justifiable. And not because he is foreign based or because u think a particular set of players are too old and so must be dropped.

I expect a very solid team when the 'best' of the foreign pros are infused.

I never said all cheat. I made sure that distinction was made but it is rampant.

I agree with most of what you said, we need the best legs possible. If i state that a player is overaged, i usually have a basis.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:42pm On May 02, 2019
The foreign based players in the under 20 camp at the moment according to inside sources

Ogbu Igor (Rosenborg BK)
Henry Offia (IK Sirius)
Paschal Durugbor (Vaxjo United)
Jayden Bennetts ( Watford)
Tom Dele Bashiru (Man City)
Fisayo Dele Bashiru (Man City)
Daniel Toma (West Ham)
Jerome Akor (Sognal Football)
Hamdi Akujobi (Heerenveen)
Nwaorisa Miracle (FK Spartaks Jurmala)
Tijani Muhammed

Bournemouth are yet to release Ofoborh.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:52pm On May 02, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (5859) (5860) (5861) (5862) (5863) (5864) (5865) ... (16274) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: EEGA, Napoleon55(m), gustav25, AndSunGorilla and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.