Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,235 members, 7,846,105 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (638) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11837867 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) (641) ... (16237) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:23pm On Mar 14, 2017
tbaba1234:
I will like to see a midfield of Onazi, Ndidi and Etebo for the friendlies.

Please do a field representation of how d set-up would be.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:27pm On Mar 14, 2017
Nobody is talking abt OMATSONE ALUKO

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:35pm On Mar 14, 2017
Icon4s:

Please do a field representation of how d set-up would be.

Onazi Ndidi

Etebo

Double pivot by Onazi/Ndidi... Or Etebo/Ndidi with Onazi in front..

Iwobi and Simon on the wings (I think V. Moses will pull out), Bazee should come in later.

Iheanacho up front. Kayode replaces him later.

Ikeme

Musa Troost balogun Uwa

Onazi Ndidi

Etebo

S.Moses Iheanacho Iwobi

Subs: Kayode, Ebuehi, Bazee, Omeruo, Agbo, I.success
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unak78: 11:42pm On Mar 14, 2017
Is Success confirmed to join the team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:42pm On Mar 14, 2017
tbaba1234:

Onazi Ndidi

Etebo

Iwobi and Simon on the wings (I think Moses will pull out), Bazee should come in later.

Ikeme

Musa Troost balogun Uwa

Onazi Ndidi

Etebo

Moses Iheanacho Iwobi

Subs: Kayode, Ebuehi, Bazee, Omeruo, Agbo,

Hmmmmm but I thought Iwobi has been ruled out.

Seems it looks difficult putting one of Onazi and Ndidi on the bench.

The question is do u think Onazi is creative enough to play d box to box midfield role?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 11:46pm On Mar 14, 2017
do4luv14:
somebody has already said that he score now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 11:51pm On Mar 14, 2017
tbaba1234:

Onazi Ndidi

Etebo

Iwobi and Simon on the wings (I think V. Moses will pull out), Bazee should come in later.

Ikeme

Musa Troost balogun Uwa

Onazi Ndidi

Etebo

S.Moses Iheanacho Iwobi

Subs: Kayode, Ebuehi, Bazee, Omeruo, Agbo, I.success

is this 4-4-3 what about 4-2-4-1?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:51pm On Mar 14, 2017
Icon4s:

Hmmmmm but I thought Iwobi has been ruled out.

Seems it looks difficult putting one of Onazi and Ndidi on the bench.

The question is do u think Onazi is creative enough to play d box to box midfield role?

Iwobi is back...

I am looking more at a solid midfield. The creativity can come from the wings.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:59pm On Mar 14, 2017
tbaba1234:

Iwobi is back...

Iwobi is back really?
Cool then.

Talking about creativity from d wings, if we'll have Iwobi and Moses no wahala. But for d other wingers? undecided
tbaba1234:

Iwobi is back...

Iwobi is back really?
Cool then.

Talking about creativity from d wings, if we'll have Iwobi and Moses no wahala. But for d other wingers?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:02am On Mar 15, 2017
do4luv14:

Ok. Initiate the talk na.

What do you have to say about his recent form?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:12am On Mar 15, 2017
maidaboi:
somebody has already said that he score now
jst day?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 12:29am On Mar 15, 2017
do4luv14:
jst day?
what?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by whizola: 1:26am On Mar 15, 2017
ChrisKels:

Musa has always been Musa. He is a rope of sand. His performance against Argentina remains the highlight of his career with Eagles till date, to me, Musa flattered to deceive. I never rated him because rating him would be glorifying mediocrity. Simon Moses ain't no less different, he keeps trying same thing over and again, expecting a different result. Neither of the two is inventive. These guys to me aint worth a starting berth with the Eagles, they can be there to add depth but definitely not as first teamers unless they up their ante.

Have you seen Onyekuru or Kalu play before? These guys plus injury-free Bazee(on his day) and Ademola are what we call cerebral wingers. I would pick Imoh Ezekiel ahead of the Musas of this world.
what do u ave against the guy, even if messi comes to the kings power today he we surely stay on the bench.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by whizola: 1:30am On Mar 15, 2017
ChrisKels:

Musa has always been Musa. He is a rope of sand. His performance against Argentina remains the highlight of his career with Eagles till date, to me, Musa flattered to deceive. I never rated him because rating him would be glorifying mediocrity. Simon Moses ain't no less different, he keeps trying same thing over and again, expecting a different result. Neither of the two is inventive. These guys to me aint worth a starting berth with the Eagles, they can be there to add depth but definitely not as first teamers unless they up their ante.

Have you seen Onyekuru or Kalu play before? These guys plus injury-free Bazee(on his day) and Ademola are what we call cerebral wingers. I would pick Imoh Ezekiel ahead of the Musas of this world.
do u mean the only high point u see in musa career was the brace against Argentina. An afcon winner, a former most caf promising player if the year, 4 Russian league cup. pls free the guy. not any body can cut into the leceister team. ndidi was able to cut in because there was already a gap left by kante.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:07am On Mar 15, 2017
shocked
whizola:
what do u ave against the guy, even if messi comes to the kings power today he we surely stay on the bench.

whizola:

Really?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 15, 2017
whizola:
messi sit on bench in leicester? shocked
BLUFF OF THE CENTURY grin grin shocked

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:41am On Mar 15, 2017
do4luv14:

jst day?

maidaboi:
what?

I guess he meant "just that?"

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:49am On Mar 15, 2017
Opposition Watch

AF South Africa 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa South Africa.

SAFA promise to appoint new Bafana coach next week

Danny Jordaan, President of SAFA with Shakes Mashaba, coach of South Africa

by Austin Ditlhobolo

South African Football Association (SAFA) president Danny Jordaan has promised to announce the new Bafana Bafana head coach next week.

"Next week, this week is Caf week," Jordaan told The Citizen ahead of his journey to Ethiopia for the Confederation of African Football (CAF) executive committee elections.

Cameroon head coach Hugo Broos and Morocco head coach Herve Renard have both been heavily linked with the Bafana coaching job.

“Some coaches have existing contracts … they ask us to keep the process confidential until there is an understanding or an agreement with wherever they are," he said.

"Even our NEC (National Executive Committee) members don’t know who is leaking information and it is quite frustrating because we are in confidential discussions.

“When you discovered that Herve Renard was coach of Morocco, you saw him on the bench, there was nothing in the media," he added.

"When you discovered Hugo Broos was coach of Cameroon, you saw him on the bench. The coach we are pursuing is the one that we want.

"We are now at the stage where we have to deal with the termination of a contract, and the signing of a contract,” Jordaan concluded.

The Bafana coaching job became vacant last December following Ephraim 'Shakes' Mashaba's dismissal. Owen Da Gama is the stand-in Bafana coach.

africanfootball.com/news/695121/SAFA-promise-to-appoint-new-Bafana-coach-next-week
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:51am On Mar 15, 2017
whizola:
do u mean the only high point u see in musa career was the brace against Argentina. An afcon winner, a former most caf promising player if the year, 4 Russian league cup. pls free the guy. not any body can cut into the leceister team. ndidi was able to cut in because there was already a gap left by kante.

Lol what was his contribution in afcon? He came there to show off his blond hair style, nothing note worthy. He was simply overwhelmed by the stage. 4 Russian league cups u said? Wow! Where does his partner in crime (Doumbia) play today? He could neither cut it in Italy nor in England and now he is back to the backwater leagues. He was even better than Musa in Russia. A man who can't dislodge an overhyped waste pipe like Vardy who is doing nothing this season than riding on the crest of his exploits the past season, shouldn't command a starting berth in Eagles. These days he doesn't even make the match day squad though he is hale and hearty. When last did a striker score from Musa's cross? Mahrez who has been a shadow of himself until recently, never ceased to give fine deliveries unlike ur Tiery-esque.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:18am On Mar 15, 2017

Etim Esin: Time Up For Hayatou As CAF President

By James Agberebi:

Former Nigeria international Etim Esin says it is about time Confederation of Africa Football (CAF) President Issa Hayatou stepped down, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports..

Hayatou, 70, will go head-to-head with Madagascar's Football Federation president, 57-year-old Ahmad Ahmad, for the position of CAF president in Thursday's election in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Hayatou has been president of CAF since 1988, spending 29 years at the helm, and is seeking an eighth term.

"Can't someone who played football to the highest level take over CAF?" Outspoken former Super Eagles star midfielder Esin told Completesportsnigeria.com on Tuesday.

"Where is Abedi Pele? Where is Segun Odegbami? Where are all the African football greats?
"Hayatou has been there since 1988 so it is about time he let go.
"For me, Ahmad is not even the right candidate to face Hayatou. I would have expected legends of African football to come and contest for the position, that would have put pressure on Hayatou."

Nigeria Football Federation President Amaju Pinnick is also contesting for a seat on the powerful CAF executive committee.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/etim-esin-time-hayatou-caf-president/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:23am On Mar 15, 2017

Iheanacho In Man City Squad For Champions League Clash Vs Monaco

By James Agberebi:

Nigeria forward Kelechi Iheanacho was part of the Manchester City squad that travelled on Tuesday to France ahead of Wednesday's second leg, round of 16 UEFA Champions League clash against AS Monaco, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Manchester City hold a 5-3 first leg advantage against the French Ligue 1 leaders.

Iheanacho, who is included in the Super Eagles squad for friendlies against Burkina Faso and Senegal in late March, was an unused substitute for Manchester City against Monaco in the first leg.

Other players who made the trip included Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne, David Silva, Sergio Aguero, Leroy Sane, Bacary Sagna and Aleksandr Kolarov.

Iheanacho's last appearance for City in the Champions League was in their last group game against Monchengladbach where he scored City's only goal in a 1-1 draw at the Etihad.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-man-city-squad-champions-league-clash-vs-monaco/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:26am On Mar 15, 2017

Ogunjobi: Pinnick Shouldn’t Have Openly Supported Ahmad Against Hayatou

By Johnny Edward:

Osun United Chairman and former Nigeria Football Federation Secretary General, Taiwo Ogunjobi, believes the President of the Nigerian Football Federation Amaju Pinnick should not have openly declared his support for Madagascar's AhmadAhmad ahead of Thursday's Confederation of African Football elections, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Issa Hayatou, 70, is contesting for an eighth successive term as President of CAF, with Ahmad, 57, his only opponent.

"You don't come out openly to declare support for a candidate in an election at the level of CAF," Ogunjobi told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"Maybe youthful exhuberance, I don't know but I think it's a mistake to do that. It's going to be difficult for Ahmad Ahmad even if there's a chance for him. Hayatou has the experience and has been there for years.

"Pinnick would still have voted for a candidate of his choice if he didn't come out to publicly to declare support for Ahmad."

Ogunjobi added that Pinnick faces a tough candidate in Benin Republic’s Anjorin Moucharafou for the sole slot on the powerful CAF Executive Committee seat from West B zone.

Ogunjobi added that his club Osun United will be title contenders in the 2016/17 Nigeria National Football League season, which will kicks off this weekend.

Osun United are away to Bayelsa United in Yenagoa in their opening league game.

"We are ready for the NNL league opener,"Ogunjobi said.
"We have been in camp for over three months and I believe the coach (Duke Udi) has done his homework ahead of the game against Bayelsa United. I'm confident that we will gain promotion at the end of the season."

Ogunjobi also had his reservations on the Super Eagles squad list for the forthcoming friendlies against Senegal and Burkina Faso later this month in London.

He said: "The coach (Gernot Rohr) has been given a job and so far he was won games but if I feel some players in the squad shouldn't be there. The friendlies are good for the team and it will put them in good shape for the coming games in June and August."

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ogunjobi-pinnick-shouldnt-openly-supported-ahmad-hayatou/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:32am On Mar 15, 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bigblangston: 8:36am On Mar 15, 2017
whizola:
Jesus Christ
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:40am On Mar 15, 2017

Guardiola: City Won’t Be Defensive Vs Monaco; I’ll Never Return To Barca

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola says his team will go out to attack AS Monaco in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League second leg clash in France, while insisting he will never return to coach Barcelona.

City defeated Monaco 5-3 in the first leg two weeks ago at the Etihad and must avoid losing 2-0 to stand a chance of qualifying into the quarter-finals.

Speaking at the pre-match press conference on Tuesday night, Guardiola said: "It would be a huge mistake to think about what we have done and forget about what we have to do.

"I want to see my team from the first minute want to win the game. We have to score goals.

"Monaco are a fantastic team. I invite the people to come here and they will see a good game tomorrow.

"The best way (to defend) is score goals. When one team scores that many goals and you think about just defending, you kill yourself.

"The idea is to try and attack. We scored five goals when it’s not easy to score against them."

Guardiola played down his seven consecutive semi-final appearances (with Barcelona and Bayern Munich), instead stated he is focused in making sure City overcome Monaco and progress into the last eight of this year's Champions League.

He said:"I am not thinking about being in the semi-finals seven times in a row. I am here to help Manchester City reach the next round.

"What I want is tomorrow to make a good game. I want to be in the quarter-finals, it would be a dream for me."

When asked if he would one day return to Barcelona, where he won two Champions League titles, Guardiola said: “Never again. My career in Barcelona is done."

www.completesportsnigeria.com/guardiola-city-wont-defensive-vs-monaco-ill-never-return-barca/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:43am On Mar 15, 2017

Ndidi Sparkles As Leicester Reach UCL Q/Finals; Juventus Edge Porto

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Super Eagles midfielder Wilfred Ndidi was in action for 90 minutes on Tuesday night as Leicester City reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League at the King Power Stadium after their 2-0 win in the round of 16, second leg match of the competition, advancing 3-2 on aggregate.

Nigeria star Ahmed Musa unlike his compatriot was however not listed to face the Portuguese giants. Musa played in four of Leicester’s six matches in the group stages and was in action for 58 minutes when the Foxes lost the first leg of the Round of 16 fixtures.

Captain Wes Morgan and Marc Albrighton got Leicester’s goals, while Samir Nasir was sent off for Sevilla.

Leicester were the underdogs but sensed a real opportunity to pull off a major upset on the night following their 2-1 away defeat in Seville, but it was Sevilla who first threatened.

Nasri received a precise pass in the fourth minute and was given time inside the box to send a promising strike towards the bottom right corner. Kasper Schmeichel guessed his intention and denied him with a fine save.

Nasri was booked in the 18th minute by referee Daniele Orsato for a cynical tackle on Ndidi before an altercation with Vardy led to the Frenchman’s dismissal.

Morgan scored in the 27th minute to make it 2-2 on aggregate. A cross from the freekick was whipped deep into the box by Riyad Mahrez and skipper Wes Morgan was available to shoot the ball into the bottom right corner.

Albrighton made it 2-0 in the 54th minute while Kasper Schmeichel saved Steven Nzozi’s penalty in the second half much to the delight of his father and Manchester United legend, Peter, who was in the crowd watching.

Ndidi, who was one of the best players on the night, was yellow-carded in the 84th minute for dangerous play with his elbow.

At the Juventus stadium in Turin, Maximiliano Allegri led Juventus to reach the quarter-finals with a 1-0 win. The Old Lady had won the first leg 2-0.

Porto had been victorious in just two of four away Champions League games this season but could not conjur the result away to qualify for the next round.

Paulo Dybala converted a 42nd minute penalty after Porto right-back Maxi Pereira controversially handled the ball in the box and was sent off.

Both sides did not score in the second half but created chances which were not converted.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ndidi-sparkles-leicester-reach-ucl-quarter-finals-juventus-edge-porto/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:46am On Mar 15, 2017

Aluko Scores In Fulham Draw As Ikeme Wins With Wolves

By James Agberebi:

Nigerian forward Sone Aluko was on target for Fulham but the London club missed the chance to climb into the English Championship play-offs spot as they were forced to a 2-2 draw at home by Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday night, Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

Aluko, who featured from the start, scored in the 45th minute to put Fulham 1-0 up.

Craig Conway equalised in the 79th minute before Gohi Bi Cyriac netted with four minutes left.

But on the stroke of 90 minutes, Lucas Joao snatched a late goal to make sure Blackburn avoided defeat.

Also on Tuesday night, Super Eagles goalkeeper Carl Ikeme was in goal for Wolverhampton Wanderers who secured their second straight victory with a 2-1 comeback win away to Brentford.

Maxime Colin gave Brentford the lead in the 31st minute but two late goals from Matt Doherty and Helder Costa in the 86th and 89th minutes respectively gave Wolves the win.

Wolves have now moved up to eighth in the 24-team league and are four points above the relegation zone.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/aluko-scores-fulham-draw-ikeme-wins-wolves/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:05am On Mar 15, 2017
whizola:
lol

what did u just say

they would rather build the team around messi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:12am On Mar 15, 2017
AllforJesus7:
Where is Musa Yahaya the u17 star?
Something must be bottling this player up.

In an age where we are having 19 year olds everywhere dazzling for naija; Samuel Kalu, Onyekuru, Chudozie awaziem, Lookman, kelechi nwakali etc where is musa yahaya?

Are these boys better than him? Or I guess we may just conclude that he is a flop. Since the coaches of his youth team may have a good reason for not playing him atall.

Yahaya played recently for Porto B against Man utd under 23. He had an outstanding game. I think, it is just a matter of time for him. He was younger than most in his set.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:22am On Mar 15, 2017
jotey:
lol

what did u just say

they would rather build the team around messi
i still don't know what's so special abt MESSI,
a player who hav refuse to leave his comfort zone to me is a baby who refuse to leave his mothers breast
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:03am On Mar 15, 2017
do4luv14:

i still don't know what's so special abt MESSI,
a player who hav refuse to leave his comfort zone to me is a baby who refuse to leave his mothers breast
No serious football fan will engage you on this topic.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:12am On Mar 15, 2017
joseph1013:
[color=#550000]No serious football fan will engage you on this topic. [/b]
ya , and i don't giv a blip,
thing is he had been in barca since birth if i might say,
he may av the skill, tricks and even drills of the football GOD,

but doing it only in one league till enternity, connote, jst one thing , FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN

(1) (2) (3) ... (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) (641) ... (16237) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, 100smile(m), dijon, soetanoreoluwa(m), akwesenana, Odunayaw(m), Subzerooo and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.