Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,776 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:59 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6626) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11874901 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6623) (6624) (6625) (6626) (6627) (6628) (6629) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2019
Everybody should chill

Change the topic to " THE NEW ERA AND 2020 OLYMPICS FOOTBALL" or "

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

I don't know where I stand on the coaching situation yet but I think it is a conversation worth having at this point. Rohr is not a spring chicken anymore and we naturally should be searching for a replacement although I don't think it should be rash.
no matter where we stand we can't affect nothing. We both saw how the supposed better coaches fell to Rohr just as we fell to Algeria.
What was Seedorf's reaction to the see-saw game we had, what did Baxter do all game? Do we then say they are even poorer than Rohr? (I remember Goodjoe preferring him before this tourney).
I have said this before, all tactics get nullified & when it does even the best of teams look average. Every dog has its day

Any rash decision will prove fatal and we'd be 5 steps back the discovery road.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:27pm On Jul 15, 2019
darkelf:

Okay, you may have a point there. We will wait till after his recovery.

I apologize for the no-sane-person comment made earlier

Good man wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 2:30pm On Jul 15, 2019
Rohr should continue but...we need to dig deep for more CREATIVE footballers...defenders,midfielders and attackers....creativity is what we lack and clear leader...w need MORE COMPETITION...

For me the following should go...All the goalkeepers,Shehu,Ogu,Onuachu--he did not bring anything to the party this Onuachu

Kalu should join the Olympic team...

Collins well...he came up against a better player that Percy Tau....i hope Bundesliga 1 toughens him more...

As always,we had the youngest team...we need more experience...we are becoming battle-tested. It took Westerhof four years to have a winning team. And Rohr[though limited] is in the right track..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 2:32pm On Jul 15, 2019
EEGA:
Musa is not a winger he is a false 9.

He was poor for Leicester City as a winger.

We seem to have forgotten that against Iceland, we played a 3-5-2 with Musa as false 9 on the left.

Musa has the pace but lacks trickery which is essential.It's this trickery that gets you out of tight situations.

If he can't get out of tight situations as a winger how can he get out of tight situations as a 9?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 2:33pm On Jul 15, 2019
Odunayaw:
Its not any nonsense de ja vu

Why did Ndidi give such a daft foul away, why did the GK position himself and react terribly. This are the questions a neutral mind asks

Self inflicted pressure courtesy... you know who
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:33pm On Jul 15, 2019
forgiveness:

I still wonder who does the selection in the national team.

We need to reinforce the mildfield with fresh players. The likes of Eberechi Eze, Tega Onomah, Ovie, Semi Ajayi (if he moves away from league one), Joe Aribo (if his team gets to play in Europa League and he performs), Ramon Azeez (if he gets to play in the la Liga this season), Abdul Ajagun (if he gets to play in the Belgium Pro League or a better league this season), Azubike Okechukwu (if he gets to play), Nnamdi Ofoborh (if he gets game time in EPL), Dele Bashiru (if he gets to play in a decent league), Aniekeme Okon (he should be given the chance), Kingsley Michael etc.

We should draft in more players in the attack to make it competitive.

Lookman Ademola, Issac Success and Noah Bazee should slog it out for the wings position.

We should watch out for Sheyi Ojo (fc Rangers) and Bobby Adekanye (Lazio). They can be a good addition for the RW position alongside with Noah Bazee and Isaac Success. Chukwueze should be given the competition to bring out the best in him.

Lookman Ademola can slog it out with Simon Moses and Henry Onyekuru on the LW. Enough of makeshift players.

Ahmed Musa should be moved to SS or S position.

In the striker position, Olanrewaju Kayode, Taiwo Awoniyi and Sunday Odey should be given the chance to prove themselves. They should slog it out with Osimhen and Ighalo.

We can watch out Josh Maja and David Okereke.

Onuachu!?

In the defence, we need to bring back Idowu to slog it out with Collins on the LB.

Ebuehi and Aina should slog it out for the RB position. Then, Tomori should be chased after to represent us. Uduokhia should be added into the team.

The goalkeeper department is one the problems we have. The goalkeeper trainer should be sacked and replaced with a more competent one. Then, we are good to go.

The bolded was the reason u and andrew444 once tagged me a tribalist, bkus I said Musa was a shitty winger but would do better as an SS or S. I told u I would play my boys ahead of Musa on the wings buh u thought my assertions had tribal inclinations just bkus the said boys of mine happened to be Onyekuru and a fit Kalu. Now una eyes dun dey open grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:36pm On Jul 15, 2019
Odunayaw:
no matter where we stand we can't affect nothing. We both saw how the supposed better coaches fell to Rohr just as we fell to Algeria.
What was Seedorf's reaction to the see-saw game we had, what did Baxter do all game? Do we then say they are even poorer than Rohr? (I remember Goodjoe preferring him before this tourney).
I have said this before, all tactics get nullified & when it does even the best of teams look average. Every dog has its day

Yea you are right about everything you just said. I myself don't have any candidates to replace Rohr. Maybe the old white guy at Benin or the Madagascar coach.

Seedof was a bad hire by Cameroon. They have ex internationals they could have given that job to. He didn't have a good enough CV for someone to overlook their own coaches for him. I think it was more of the awe of having Seedof and Kluivert as coaches than anything else.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 2:37pm On Jul 15, 2019
Any new coach will start new and it will take years to gel...this team is in an embryo ...about to emerge...i remember the warning..HANDLE WITH CARE...we must show maturity and stick with it like Germany stuck with Low....it not yet time to win from saturday s match...the team needs a little pepper here...a little salt there...a little water over there... grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2019
ChrisKels:

The bolded was the reason u and andrew444 once tagged me a tribalist, bkus I said Musa was a shitty winger but would do better as an SS or S. I told u I would play my boys ahead of Musa on the wings buh u thought my assertions had tribal inclinations just bkus the said boys of mine happened to be Onyekuru and a fit Kalu. Now una eyes dun dey open grin

Which person eye open? I have always been a fan of onyekuru from day 1, i always support who the coach plays ,i am not like you who will critisize the coach from not playing his own boy

Oga my eyes no open okay, i am not confused as many of you guys always looking for who to blame when naija lost, abi you see me and una drag anything yesterday?

Everybody claiming to be Klopp and guardiola

Why wont you be called tribalist when you look for any opportunity to diss on ighalo and others players you dont like by calling them carpenter

My friend go and sit down if you have nothing to say
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:42pm On Jul 15, 2019
gamaliel9:
Any new coach will start new and it will take years to gel...this team is in an embryo ...about to emerge...i remember the warning..HANDLE WITH CARE...we must show maturity and stick with it like Germany stuck with Low....it not yet time to win from saturday s match...the team needs a little pepper here...a little salt there...a little water over there... grin

Rohr is 65. Where are we really going? At the very least we need to start planning for the future.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:44pm On Jul 15, 2019
komekn:

I would prefer local but the issue of Egunje and other sharp practices has continued to plague our local coaches ad infinitum.

I would not mind the Cameroon combination. Whatever foreign coach we get he must be black. I am sure Sol Campbell and Rio Ferdinand would take the job.

But l think we need to expand the scouting of our players and be more proactive. I don’t know why Ovie, Tega Onomah, Ebere Eze, Dominic Iorfa, Fikayo Tomori, we're not invited. I haven't included Ademola because k haven't spoken to him to know if he interested or heard anything to that effect.

There are others you could include there is no harm in trying them out.

All Francophone African countries are filled with French youth internationals and players born in France predominantly.

I haven't mentioned players in other parts of Europe not because they don't exist but we have overwhelming numbers of Nigerian at all levels of football in the UK. So that's why l haven't mentioned any from other parts if Europe. And I simply don't know them to be honest.

But in addition the England is a quality league and conversely will have more quality players.

Indeed the core of the SE quality players are playing in England or emanated from England.

Bro please tell me u spoke with the highlighted duo and they said they are interested. Thats gonna make my day footballicaly after yesterday's misfortune
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:47pm On Jul 15, 2019
andrew444:

Which person eye open? I have always been a fan of onyekuru from day 1, i always support who the coach plays ,i am not like you who will critisize the coach from not playing his own boy

Oga my eyes no open okay, i am not confused as many of you guys always looking for who to blame when naija lost, abi you see me and una drag anything yesterday?

Everybody claiming to be Klopp and guardiola

Why wont you be called tribalist when you look for any opportunity to diss on ighalo and others players you dont like by calling them carpenter

My friend go and sit down if you have nothing to say

Chai e dey pain u well well say I no be Ighalo fan ooo grin grin

Lol sorry no cry again bkus ur tears no dey touch me for heart. Ighalo na anywhere-bele-face striker grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 2:51pm On Jul 15, 2019
cc12:
Yeah, I was expecting Rohr to play Aina as a rightback even against South Africa

Awaziem played so well against Cameroon that Rohr persisted with him against South Africa

Na everything una dey complain sef?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 2:52pm On Jul 15, 2019
ChrisKels:

Chai e dey pain u well well say I no be Ighalo fan ooo grin grin

Lol sorry no cry again bkus ur tears no dey touch me for heart. Ighalo na anywhere-bele-face striker grin

Nothing to pain me , people can testify here

At least i am not a tribalist that have boys who he want to always play

I support whoever the coach uses

Your ranting will never have any opinion in the super eagles

Grow up KID

Please dont drink sniper if ighalo manages to get the AFCON golden boot

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 2:54pm On Jul 15, 2019
All these fair weather fans that wait five matches before shouting, Sack him! Sack him!

Algeria and Senegal are two of the most talented squads in this tournament, and they deserved to reach the finals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 2:56pm On Jul 15, 2019
Earthquake2:
All these fair weather fans that wait five matches before shouting, Sack him! Sack him!

Algeria and Senegal are two of the most talented squads in this tournament, and they deserved to reach the finals

You dey mind them?

I just dey look all of them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 2:57pm On Jul 15, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

You said that without backing. Amunike coached and did things that tacticians found mysterious. We are talking of quality coaches. Same can not be said of Imama and Siasia. Although I like Siasia's philosophy.

How did his tactics fare him to ship in goals in the group stages and lose to Kenya despite being two goals up

If you are criticizing Rohr based on Afcon performance, you dare not mention Amunike
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 2:59pm On Jul 15, 2019
I am not complaining, am just saying that I would have preferred to have a natural RB Aina in that position than a makeshift RB, am a big fan of Awaziem and also the person who posted when he made Sofascore team of the week twice in the Turkish Super Lig

Earthquake2:

Awaziem played so well against Cameroon that Rohr persisted with him against South Africa

Na everything una dey complain sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jubilantagida: 3:00pm On Jul 15, 2019
When are we closing this thread please?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 3:00pm On Jul 15, 2019
If Rohr handled Tanzania he wouldn't have done better

Earthquake2:

How did his tactics fare him to ship in goals in the group stages and lose to Kenya despite being two goals up

If you are criticizing Rohr based on Afcon performance, you dare not mention Amunike
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 3:01pm On Jul 15, 2019
cc12:
If Rohr handled Tanzania he wouldn't have done better

He would have done better than losing from two goals up

Don't think Amunike had a shitty squad, he had the highest goal scorer in Belgium
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by godspeed: 3:01pm On Jul 15, 2019
Painful as yesterday's match was, I dont think we should hurt so bad as we are doing now. The eagles gave their all and I can tell u the Algerians too were as apprehensive as we were.

I think fate has a little to do with this just like Zambia's success in 2012. From the start of the tournament, Algeria looked destined to win the cup and I hv no doubts they will.

The eagles were not as bad as we tot yesterday, the matched the Algerians pound for pound, in the end, it was mahrez's brilliance that was the difference.

Like somebody noted earlier, the difference btw this match and the on in uyo is victor moses, if we had him yesterday we would have hurt them real bad.

For those calling for rohr sack , I'll say take a chill pill. Westerhoff too was horrible in his first few matches and couldn't will the afcon in his first two attempts.
Rohr made the most of what we had yesterday and it was good remember this team has no effective creative midfielder but still he was still able to use what he got very well.

To the fellow saying we should go for Madagascar, Algeria and Mali coach, see, I was particularly mad when Nigeria went for rohr, I tot the best option at the time was herve rehard but see what he turned the Moroccan team to.

In 2010, we tinkered with the idea of getting shehata but what did he turn to.

Jo bonfrere won us the Olympics and took us to the finals of afcon 2000, after that we all saw what a disaster he turned out to be.

Let's keep rohr for now and I'm sure he will surely improve.

PS I wonder why we always perform better in second half of every match.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:05pm On Jul 15, 2019
godspeed:
Painful as yesterday's match was, I dont think we should hurt so bad as we are doing now. The eagles gave their all and I can tell u the Algerians too were as apprehensive as we were.

I think fate has a little to do with this just like Zambia's success in 2012. From the start of the tournament, Algeria looked destined to win the cup and I hv no doubts they will.

The eagles were not as bad as we tot yesterday, the matched the Algerians pound for pound, in the end, it was mahrez's brilliance that was the difference.

Like somebody noted earlier, the difference btw this match and the on in uyo is victor moses, if we had him yesterday we would have hurt them real bad.

For those calling for rohr sack , I'll say take a chill pill. Westerhoff too was horrible in his first few matches and couldn't will the afcon in his first two attempts.
Rohr made the most of what we had yesterday and it was good remember this team has no effective creative midfielder but still he was still able to use what he got very well.

To the fellow saying we should go for Madagascar, Algeria and Mali coach, see, I was particularly mad when Nigeria went for rohr, I tot the best option at the time was herve rehard but see what he turned the Moroccan team to.

In 2010, we tinkered with the idea of getting shehata but what did he turn to.

Jo bonfrere won us the Olympics and took us to the finals of afcon 2000, after that we all saw what a disaster he turned out to be.

Let's keep rohr for now and I'm sure he will surely improve.

PS I wonder why we always perform better in second half of every match.

One of the few people that have made sense since
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2019
kennysville:

Self inflicted pressure courtesy... you know who
for a player that plays against some great players week in and out in EPL

Ba damuwa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:17pm On Jul 15, 2019
No, it doesn't take "years" to build a solid team. Just look at the Algerian team. How many years did it take their coach to simply transform the disjointed and the uncoordinated team we played during the World Cup qualifiers?

I agree that we should've let Rohr go immediately after the World Cup but I don't agree that it's already too late to hire a technically sound coach for the 2022 World Cup. Rohr has taken us as far as he can and I don't think he can do better than he had already done. And we won't achieve anything if we stick with him, because our opponents are not standing still … they are improving and we'd need to improve to keep up with them.

O pari

gamaliel9:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:19pm On Jul 15, 2019
Earthquake2:

Gbam Jare.

We need a sound tactical assistant. That's all.

We can't give what we don't have (creative juice). To me, Rohr did well. Got to the Semi-finals of a 24 team AFCON without a creative MF and made Algeria sweat. If this team keeps improving in all aspects, I forsee us winning the 2021 AFCON.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:21pm On Jul 15, 2019
gamaliel9:
Rohr should continue but...we need to dig deep for more CREATIVE footballers...defenders,midfielders and attackers....creativity is what we lack and clear leader...w need MORE COMPETITION...

For me the following should go...All the goalkeepers,Shehu,Ogu,Onuachu--he did not bring anything to the party this Onuachu

Kalu should join the Olympic team...

Collins well...he came up against a better player that Percy Tau....i hope Bundesliga 1 toughens him more...

As always,we had the youngest team...we need more experience...we are becoming battle-tested. It took Westerhof four years to have a winning team. And Rohr[though limited] is in the right track..

Collins will get better. He will be playing in the bundesliga. Better competition grooms a player
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Problemkid1: 3:22pm On Jul 15, 2019
What's the difference between tribalism and Nigeria embarassed

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:22pm On Jul 15, 2019
Odunayaw:

My criticism of Rohr has not changed. We have talents that can play with a high intensity but Rohr chose to keep us playing in a timid fashion.

In the South African game I criticized Rohr was also very simple. Why did we have to park the bus against South Africa when we could have blown them away. Keep in mind, I am talking with respect to the talents at our disposal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 3:25pm On Jul 15, 2019
Icon79:
No, it doesn't take "years" to build a solid team. Just look at the Algerian team. How many years did it take their coach to simply transform the disjointed and the uncoordinated team we played during the World Cup qualifiers?

I agree that we should've let Rohr go immediately after the World Cup but I don't agree that it's already too late to hire a technically sound coach for the 2022 World Cup. Rohr has taken us as far as he can and I don't think he can do better than he had already done. And we won't achieve anything if we stick with him, because our opponents are not standing still … they are improving and we'd need to improve to keep up with them.

O pari

And was this the same team that faced Algeria in Uyo? Do we have creative outlets? How do y'all keep missing that.
For the players we had on the field there was only way we could have played and it was seen & effectively nullified.

If you think it's beans, Renard says hi

(1) (2) (3) ... (6623) (6624) (6625) (6626) (6627) (6628) (6629) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: charlesemeka85(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.