Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,161 members, 7,811,351 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6687) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11605467 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6684) (6685) (6686) (6687) (6688) (6689) (6690) ... (16124) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:10pm On Jul 21, 2019
MetalJigsaw:
The Six Strikers Who Can Replace Physical Ighalo As Super Eagles Number 9

allnigeriasoccer.com Jul 21, 2019 1:00 PM

The Six Strikers Who Can Replace Physical Ighalo As Super Eagles Number 9

Following Nigeria's third place finish at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, striker Jude Odion Ighalo shocked Nigerian football faithful by announcing his international retirement after team captain John Mikel Obi announced his own expected retirement after 14 years service to the country.

Izuchukwu Okosi in this piece examines the best candidates from a lot to take up the role as the Eagles target another AFCON qualification in 2021 and the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

1. Victor Osimhen

Osimhen was only in action for 45 minutes at the just concluded AFCON, the third place final against Tunisia.

He will be a threat for defences especially in aerial duels.

Perhaps the record top scorer at the FIFA U-17 World Cup with 10 goals needs to add some more physicality to his game as alluded to by Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr.

2. Stephen Odey

The former MFM striker who has moved to Belgian Pro League champions KRC Genk from Swiss side FC Zurich scored 10 goals in 32 matches for his former club last season.

Odey is technically good, has got lethal shots in his arsenal and can offer some physical presence that Ighalo did.

3. Anthony Nwakaeme

The popular cliché in football that a player/team is as good as their last match continues to be a feature of this piece.

Trabzonspor of Turkey striker Anthony Nwakaeme scored 10 league goals in 27 matches last season and played against tough strikers in the competitive Turkish top flight.

Nwakaeme's strength and experience could be vital in the Eagles going forward.

4. Simy Nwankwo

Scoring 14 goals in 33 Serie B matches should not be scorned at and Nwankwo will be an invaluable part of the Super Eagles if Rohr trusts him enough.

The beanpole striker was in Nigeria's 2018 World Cup squad after showing great qualities in friendlies prior to the tournament but he has not played for the team afterwards.

5. Paul Onuachu

The FC Midtjylland of Denmark striker scored a memorable goal, a wonder strike within a minute against Egypt in an international friendly in March and perhaps sealed his place in Nigeria's AFCON squad.

The striker wasn't at his predatory best when he got his chance at the Nations Cup but nonetheless the talent is obvious. He scored 17 league goals in 30 league games last season.

6. Taiwo Awoniyi

The Liverpool-owned striker Taiwo Awoniyi is one of coach Imama Amapokobo's key players in the U-23 Eagles but he could also be an important member of the Super Eagles in few years time.

Verdict: The Super Eagles may have top strikers in their fold when the next AFCON hold in Cameroon in 2021 or at the FIFA World Cup in 2022 in Qatar.

However at the moment, in few months time when qualifiers begin before those big tournaments, our top picks in the absence of Ighalo would be the aforementioned for either their experience, goals return or physical attributes.

We are by no means saying other Nigerian players do not deserve a place in the team.

Next season could present us a player who takes the world by storm.

Who wrote this junk?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:12pm On Jul 21, 2019
forgiveness:

Rohr took Gabon to AFCON quarter finals. Rohr qualified Niger for the AFCON.

Stop giving false informations.

Thanks for this price of info.

Some of us wouldn't have known that Rohr did quite well with teams of such lowly calibre

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:14pm On Jul 21, 2019
MetalJigsaw:
Oga forget am, them no go give us host las las, just watch and see.

Oga them don give us d hosting bid tey tey...na inspection remain grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:14pm On Jul 21, 2019
breezy147:

What is he learning in Villarreal? He has spent a full season an still does no know how to properly cross into the 18 box.

I say move if the opportunity comes. He is the exact tool coaches like klopps or Guardiola need to turn into a Messi-like monster.

To play under such coaches you just mentioned, you need to show consistency. They ate bidding their time especially with African talents who could be one-season wonders.

If he does better in the new season, I see no reason why he won't catch the eyes of such coaches

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:15pm On Jul 21, 2019
ChrisKels:
Dont know if this has been posted here before now. Valentine Ozornwafor made his debut for Galatasary versus RB Lepzig on Friday...
Coming in midway in the second-half, after the Gala defence had already let in 3 goals in a 2-3 loss.

That's a good one for our league.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:17pm On Jul 21, 2019
Odunayaw:
grin all this bloggers creating big decisions for themselves

Just imagine grin grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:19pm On Jul 21, 2019
breezy147:

What is he learning in Villarreal? He has spent a full season an still does no know how to properly cross into the 18 box.

I say move if the opportunity comes. He is the exact tool coaches like klopps or Guardiola need to turn into a Messi-like monster.

You mean a bench tool?? U think Klopp and Guardiola will sign a player that played his first season of professional football last year and rush him into their lineup ?
He will be a bench warmer there and it could stall his progress.
You don't necessary have to be playing under a Klopp or Guardiola before u know some basic skills like crossing into the 18 yard box...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 6:19pm On Jul 21, 2019
forgiveness:

Rohr took Gabon to AFCON quarter finals. Rohr qualified Niger for the AFCON.

Stop giving false informations.

Don't mind those people giving misinformation just to make Rohr look bad.

Infact Gabon were so good in that tournament that they topped their group with 9 points ( a group that had Tunisia and Morroco) and lost narrowly in the quarter finals after extra time in Penalty shoot out to Mali

The first time I heard about Aubameyang was during that particular tourney

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:21pm On Jul 21, 2019
Odunayaw:
These stadium have too large a capacity for an U20 women cup ke. Quota must enter, no be the mumurisky people we get grin

Kaduna, Lagos** , Uyo , Bayelsa

**can TBS be fixed on time?
My problem with TBS is the astro pitch...

Alternatively, Liberty stadium Ibadan can replace Lagos. I think it's natural grass and has d capacity to host the tournament...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:26pm On Jul 21, 2019
darkelf:

Some of us wouldn't have known that Rohr did quite well with teams of such lowly calibre

No mind dat guy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:28pm On Jul 21, 2019
''No one surprised me, I knew them all very well. The progress made by Samuel Chimerenka Chukwueze is quite remarkable, a young player from Villarreal. The left-footer was also the man of the game against South Africa,'' Rohr said to German television Sport1.

''We also liked our midfield with Etebo, Iwobi and Ndidi so far. That works fine. But it is not really a surprise, it is the confirmation of the work done.''

-- Rohr
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:28pm On Jul 21, 2019
timay:

Infact Gabon were so good in that tournament that they topped their group with 9 points ( a group that had Tunisia and Morroco) and lost narrowly in the quarter finals after extra time in Penalty shoot out to Mali

Correct! Gabon played beautiful football. Aubameyang was unplayable in that tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 6:31pm On Jul 21, 2019
forgiveness:

Correct! Gabon played beautiful football. Aubameyang was unplayable in that tournament.

Of course bro. They were like the Madagascar of that tournament if not better. cos, they victory were convincing and they matched both Tunisia and Morroco for strength
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 6:35pm On Jul 21, 2019
timay:

Wow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:44pm On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

You mean a bench tool?? U think Klopp and Guardiola will sign a player that played his first season of professional football last year and rush him into their lineup ?
He will be a bench warmer there and it could stall his progress.
You don't necessary have to be playing under a Klopp or Guardiola before u know some basic skills like crossing into the 18 yard box...

Klopp and guardiola can do that but just say its not on chukwueze

joao felix just played his first season in europe, but i can bet that he will start for Athletic Madrid, if na real madrid he go start self,the only team felix wont start is mancity barca liverpool, not that i have watch him play, but i am going by the hype

If Klopp had met ousmane dembele in dortumund there is no way he will be benched, because dembele also played his first european season before he joined dortumond

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:58pm On Jul 21, 2019
andrew444:

Klopp and guardiola can do that but just say its not on chukwueze

joao felix just played his first season in europe, but i can bet that he will start for Athletic Madrid, if na real madrid he go start self,the only team felix wont start is mancity barca liverpool, not that i have watch him play, but i am going by the hype

If Klopp had met ousmane dembele in dortumund there is no way he will be benched, because dembele also played his first european season before he joined dortumond

Oga this ur post is confusing oo.. each paragraph contradicts the other...

Klopp and Guardiola already have regular players who lead their attack...Signing Chukwueze to their team at this time would mean he would serve as a back up player not a regular . that's my point
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:01pm On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

Klopp and Guardiola already have regular players who lead their attack...Signing Chukwueze to their team at this time would mean he would serve as a back up player not a regular . that's my point

I said klop and guardiola can play a player who have only play one season in Europe but not chuks nah ,wetin you no understand there nah

Who chuks go bench for Liverpool or city ,none Na

Na the same thing I dey talk nah

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:03pm On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

Oga them don give us d hosting bid tey tey...na inspection remain grin
LOL
.. I hope so sha.. but I don high so take this.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:08pm On Jul 21, 2019
forgiveness:

Who wrote this junk?
Scooped from all Nigeriansoccer.com... What do you think?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:09pm On Jul 21, 2019
Earthquake2:

Hmm
Even before the WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:09pm On Jul 21, 2019
darkelf:

Sotey him win group without losing with Tunisia and Morocco present in the group

Chriskels go just yarn sometimes you go shake head
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:13pm On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

My problem with TBS is the astro pitch...

Alternatively, Liberty stadium Ibadan can replace Lagos. I think it's natural grass and has d capacity to host the tournament...
I'd like Liberty Stadium to be used. I don miss National matches in Ibadan
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:13pm On Jul 21, 2019
Ah!! men I don Mezebu how make I handle this girl for this night now.... who dey here
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:19pm On Jul 21, 2019
Earthquake2:

Someone came up with an alternative to the 'bitterleaf jersey'

Very beautiful

Looks like Mali's jersey kind of.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:19pm On Jul 21, 2019
Joebie:
''No one surprised me, I knew them all very well. The progress made by Samuel Chimerenka Chukwueze is quite remarkable, a young player from Villarreal. The left-footer was also the man of the game against South Africa,'' Rohr said to German television Sport1.

''We also liked our midfield with Etebo, Iwobi and Ndidi so far. That works fine. But it is not really a surprise, it is the confirmation of the work done.''

-- Rohr
Oga stop feeling like Guardiola, you have alot to do to prove yourself. Get it into your head!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 7:25pm On Jul 21, 2019
MetalJigsaw:
Ah!! men I don Mezebu how make I handle this girl for this night now.... who dey here

Mr elyte89 over to you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:29pm On Jul 21, 2019
Transfer: Super Eagles star joins English club

Super Eagles defender, Semi Ajayi, has joined English Championship club West Brom, according to the club’s official website.

He signed a four-year deal with the Baggies after spending the last two and a half years of his career as a professional at relegated Rotherham United.

Ajayi, who can also play as a defensive midfielder will wear the number six jersey for the forthcoming season.

Commenting on the deal, the Super Eagles star told West Brom’s website, ”It’s a great opportunity for me. I want to play at the highest level and I have joined a club with the ambition to get there.

”I want to play my part in helping the team get promoted because that is definitely the target.”

The Nigerian star began his career at Charlton Athletic and lists Dartford, Cardiff City, AFC Wimbledon and Crewe Alexandra among his former clubs.

https://dailypost.ng/2019/07/21/transfer-super-eagles-star-joins-english-club/amp/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:52pm On Jul 21, 2019
Done Deal : Southampton Sign Highly-Rated Nigerian Striker From Anderlecht

allnigeriasoccer.com Jul 19, 2019 1:00 PM

Through a statement on their official website, Premier League side Southampton have announced the signing of Nigerian striker Kazeem Olaigbe.

The 2003-born player ended his association with Belgian giants Anderlecht after agreeing a scholarship with The Saints.

Olaigbe is considered one of the hottest young prospects in Belgium and the dual-eligible youngster has caps for the country's U15 and U16 national teams.

He was named Most Valuable Player of the International Youth Tournament 2016, having starred as Anderlecht reached the final where they lost to Tottenham Hotspur.

Southampton have handed Olaigbe and twelve teenagers two-year scholarships as part of their new intake of Academy scholars.

He will be hoping to make a name for himself in the upcoming season at Southampton U18s.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=32976

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:09pm On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

What they haven't talked about and added to the equation is the other players in the U23 and on loan who are knocking on the door for first football. They are looking at him in isolation and exclusion as if there are not any other quality players in the mix. So even the assumption of back up is not CERTAIN.

Most people think that quality is all about maverick dribbling without end product and or team cohesion.

His blistering pace may not be so blistering in the EPL and depending on how much they have paid for him it's quite probable he could end up in the U23's.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:27pm On Jul 21, 2019
Iwobi threatened to leave if arsenal sign zaha. thoughts?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:32pm On Jul 21, 2019
dem boiz....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:51pm On Jul 21, 2019
MetalJigsaw:

allnigeriasoccer.com Jul 19, 2019 1:00 PM

Through a statement on their official website, Premier League side Southampton have announced the signing of Nigerian striker Kazeem Olaigbe.

The 2003-born player ended his association with Belgian giants Anderlecht after agreeing a scholarship with The Saints.

Olaigbe is considered one of the hottest young prospects in Belgium and the dual-eligible youngster has caps for the country's U15 and U16 national teams.

He was named Most Valuable Player of the International Youth Tournament 2016, having starred as Anderlecht reached the final where they lost to Tottenham Hotspur.

Southampton have handed Olaigbe and twelve teenagers two-year scholarships as part of their new intake of Academy scholars.

He will be hoping to make a name for himself in the upcoming season at Southampton U18s.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=32976

Nice one

(1) (2) (3) ... (6684) (6685) (6686) (6687) (6688) (6689) (6690) ... (16124) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), Softbreastt, MetalJigsaw(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.