Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,686 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6712) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11608171 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6709) (6710) (6711) (6712) (6713) (6714) (6715) ... (16125) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:58pm On Jul 26, 2019
gustav25:
Countries don't need impotent bang wingers . They need one Mahrez ( same guy one drunk here said isn't intelligent and Onyekuru will bench him at Mancity) to make you shed blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPloPt16k2g

Onye Igbo. How far?? grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 8:00pm On Jul 26, 2019
darkelf:

Onye Igbo. How far?? grin cheesy

Kpachumarichupako

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:09pm On Jul 26, 2019
gustav25:

Kpachumarichupako

grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

This guy you're a clown
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:16pm On Jul 26, 2019
komekn:

Aribo for me is a battler and hard man in the midfield similar to Ndidi not the most skilful and technically gifted he reminds me of a certain Etuhu that played for Nigeria.

Onomah and Eze are technicial gifted players with Onomah the better of the two for now, who can play as AM. Also you have Ovie who can not be ignored excelled in Glasgow Rangers in a league that's not as good as the Championship by a considerable stretch.

The dark horse that is going to suprise all of you this season in my speculative opinion is Chuks Aneke now at Charlton.

Let's just hope the duo of onomah and aribo plays for the super super eagles so all can evaluate their performances to ascertain who is better. Onomah seem like a player whose development hv stunted while aribo is on the trajectory and already winning the hearts of rangers fans.

You may argue that the Scottish league is not as strong as the championship but if onomah was as good as you portray him here always I see no reason pochettino who loves giving youngsters a chance in spurs team won't want to take him with the team for preseason let alone given him a chance this season.

On aribo's path, I will say he is a late blommer judging by the case that at the age of 17-18 he was playing non league football, got signed by charlton and in the space of a few months was promoted to their first team. His development have been tremendous and have been one of the best players in league 2 prior to his move to Scotland.

Few weeks after joining rangers he is already turning heads in the Scottish club with a lot of positives reviews from the clubs faithfuls.

Onomah is a good talent but inconsistency have been his ban. I will even rate ovie ejaria ahead of him just that he needs to bulk up a bit.

In aribo I see an unpolished young left footed Yaya toure. He is tall, very mobile, versatile, skillful with good passing range and a goal scorer as well. Some may say I hype this kid alot but I see something special in him and I bet he will be the toast of every member of this forum once the season kicks off.

Between him ovie, Eze and onomah I think he has what it takes to succeed in African football for now more than the other trio
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:22pm On Jul 26, 2019
Earthquake2:

Barca 5 champions league, Most valuable club

Chelsea - 1 champions league and somebody is comparing them grin

No mind am
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:32pm On Jul 26, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Do you really think he cried to his coach? His wife is his confidant and you wouldn't expect him to tell others the things he tells her.

Is his wife the coach or fitness trainer?

The bolded is really becoming a problem in the national team..players coming to camp while carrying injuries just so they can get to play .. Ebuehi did it during the March pre world cup friendlies and it almost made him miss the world cup... Simon also did it before the world cup list were released he regretted it.. Shehu too did it during the AFCONQ against Libya..
I understand that they are being patriotic, but a fully fit player is more useful than a half fit one....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:36pm On Jul 26, 2019
darkelf:

Yes, I'll go with a CM first and not really an AM.

Even a competent GK and GK coach is more critical than an AM at this moment

If Rohr can allow the team play more offensively, we can thrive without an AM..Last season Liverpool had no recognised AM in the team (Wijnaldum doesn't play as an AM at all). .In fact the midfield created less chance than most EPL team midfield .The bulk of the team's goals were created by Robertson and TAA who had the licence to bomb forward at will... We have good wingers in the team but Rohr is making them do defensive duties....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 8:39pm On Jul 26, 2019
Danielnino00:

If Rohr can allow the team play more offensively, we can thrive without an AM..Last season Liverpool had no recognised AM in the team (Wijnaldum doesn't play as an AM at all). .In fact the midfield created less chance than most EPL team midfield .The bulk of the team's goals were created by Robertson and TAA who had the licence to bomb forward at will... We have good wingers in the team but Rohr is making them do defensive duties....

How can we play offensively when none of our midfielders Ndidi, Etebo and Iwobi can hold the ball

Na only counter attack fit us with the players we have

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:46pm On Jul 26, 2019
Earthquake2:

How can we play offensively when none of our midfielders Ndidi, Etebo and Iwobi can hold the ball

Na only counter attack fit us with the players we have
Ndidi can hold the ball..his distribution rate is the issue . Iwobi own problem is inconsistency..

Like I said,even without an AM, we can still thrive with our wingers... Aina is a full back that's better offensively than defensively but Rohr with his conservative nature will prefer Shehu and Collins to him...
At the AFCON we don't commit many men forward when attacking... Our midfield isn't really incompetent like u think

Those guys put in a better performance at their club side than they do in the GWG..

Liverpool's midfield was actually one of the worst among the top6 teams in the EPL last season but given Klopp' style of offensive football, the attackers weren't starved of the ball...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:47pm On Jul 26, 2019
Uzoho has cut short his holiday to team up with his club in Cyprus for pre season...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:50pm On Jul 26, 2019
Sunday Faleye has joined Austrian Club FC Wacker Insbruck on a two year deal...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:52pm On Jul 26, 2019
Brila FM are reporting that Anderlecht have made a $5m bid for Onuachu

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:56pm On Jul 26, 2019
Danielnino00:

Ndidi can hold the ball..his distribution rate is the issue . Iwobi own problem is inconsistency..

Like I said,even without an AM, we can still thrive with our wingers... Aina is a full back that's better offensively than defensively but Rohr with his conservative nature will prefer Shehu and Collins to him...
At the AFCON we don't commit many men forward when attacking... Our midfield isn't really incompetent like u think

Those guys put in a better performance at their club side than they do in the GWG..

You sef think this thing, will you risk running forward (as a defender) when you know your midfield may just give up possession before you even get to a good position to receive the ball.
Our Midfield is only good at side passes. Its a one thing to have the ball & another to not lose it when you're executing your idea.
We don't hurriedly need an AM truly, just a good CM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:17pm On Jul 26, 2019
Odunayaw:
You sef think this thing, will you risk running forward (as a defender) when you know your midfield may just give up possession before you even get to a good position to receive the ball.
Our Midfield is only good at side passes. Its a one thing to have the ball & another to not lose it when you're executing your idea.
We don't hurriedly need an AM truly, just a good CM

It's risky yes, so is playing conservative football all the time.. Against Algeria, our wingers were totally caged and the full backs couldn't offer any support .our attack was blunt. .. If we must play defensively it should be from the middle not the flanks... We have enough firepower on the flank! The midfield may be crap but not the wing bro!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:21pm On Jul 26, 2019
Danielnino00:

It's risky yes, so is playing conservative football all the time.. Against Algeria, our wingers were totally caged and the full backs couldn't offer any support .our attack was blunt. .. If we must play defensively it should be from the middle not the flanks... We have enough firepower on the flank! The midfield may be crap but not the wing bro!!
Agreed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:38pm On Jul 26, 2019
charlesemeka85:

Let's just hope the duo of onomah and aribo plays for the super super eagles so all can evaluate their performances to ascertain who is better. Onomah seem like a player whose development hv stunted while aribo is on the trajectory and already winning the hearts of rangers fans.

You may argue that the Scottish league is not as strong as the championship but if onomah was as good as you portray him here always I see no reason pochettino who loves giving youngsters a chance in spurs team won't want to take him with the team for preseason let alone given him a chance this season.

On aribo's path, I will say he is a late blommer judging by the case that at the age of 17-18 he was playing non league football, got signed by charlton and in the space of a few months was promoted to their first team. His development have been tremendous and have been one of the best players in league 2 prior to his move to Scotland.

Few weeks after joining rangers he is already turning heads in the Scottish club with a lot of positives reviews from the clubs faithfuls.

Onomah is a good talent but inconsistency have been his ban. I will even rate ovie ejaria ahead of him just that he needs to bulk up a bit.

In aribo I see an unpolished young left footed Yaya toure. He is tall, very mobile, versatile, skillful with good passing range and a goal scorer as well. Some may say I hype this kid alot but I see something special in him and I bet he will be the toast of every member of this forum once the season kicks off.

Between him ovie, Eze and onomah I think he has what it takes to succeed in African football for now more than the other trio

I am not an advocate of video clips as the main tool to asses players it is too easily contrived and manipulated to make players look better than they actually are. When i submit video clips i only submit 5-7 minute clips of individual games not merge 5/6 games into one clip to make you look like Neymar when you are more like Phil Neville.

Aribo is tough battling midfielder who has fought his way against all odds to get to where he is, he hant been schooled in the technical niceties of the game but he is a warrior and he is somewhat similar to Gerrard in his style of play. Now that's the pertinent phrase STYLE OF PLAY.

So i am going to put three Youtube videos of these 4 players Aribo, Eze, Onomah,
and Chuks which gives a clear indication of thier STYLE OF PLAY then you can answer the question which most suites the 9ja way or if you like historical organisation delivery ethos of the SE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErDm8bpnHPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hMYD3xUATs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_0--DvJ0Ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xW1zhLD8bY

The choice is your, Akpoo, Amala, Starch or Pounded Yam tongue tongue tongue

Ovie does not need to bulk up AT ALL he is deceptively strong although he doesn't really like the physical side of football he is more intelligent and technical with his football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:41pm On Jul 26, 2019
Danielnino00:

Is his wife the coach or fitness trainer?

The bolded is really becoming a problem in the national team..players coming to camp while carrying injuries just so they can get to play .. Ebuehi did it during the March pre world cup friendlies and it almost made him miss the world cup... Simon also did it before the world cup list were released he regretted it.. Shehu too did it during the AFCONQ against Libya..
I understand that they are being patriotic, but a fully fit player is more useful than a half fit one....

Players hide injuries or the extent of all the time. This is a world wide practice. Remember when Jose had the spat with England because they gave Phil Jones pain killing injections before a FRIENDLY match.

Rohr has publicly objected to that practice (Onazi) but he is willing to see if the player is actually healthy enough to play.

Players play injured all the time. It is not every injury that will keep you out of a match and even the level of the match will force a player to play when doctors say they shouldn't.

I also disagree about the fully healthy part. Players come back injured just to help their teams all the time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 9:46pm On Jul 26, 2019
Danielnino00:

Liverpool's midfield was actually one of the worst among the top6 teams in the EPL last season but given Klopp' style of offensive football, the attackers weren't starved of the ball...

'Ndidi can hold the ball' very laughable

Liverpool play a counter attacking brand of football and most of their play come through the wing

As bland as their midfield is, Winaldium, Fabinho and Milner are ball players

In the case of the Super Eagles, Chukwueze is not a playmaker, Musa is not, the midfield of Ndidi, Etebo and Iwobi hardly complete 70% of their passes

Super Eagles best play is giving the ball to the opposition and hitting them on the counter

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 9:47pm On Jul 26, 2019
Danielnino00:
Uzoho has cut short his holiday to team up with his club in Cyprus for pre season...

... As advised by Rohr
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:52pm On Jul 26, 2019
Danielnino00:

Gbam
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:53pm On Jul 26, 2019
darkelf:

grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

This guy you're a clown

Lol

The guy na very mad man, i dont see him as a troll anymore because the mumu na igbo boy, him dey make me laff now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:54pm On Jul 26, 2019
komekn:

Aribo for me is a battler and hard man in the midfield similar to Ndidi not the most skilful and technically gifted he reminds me of a certain[b] Etuhu that played for Nigeria[/b].

Onomah and Eze are technicial gifted players with Onomah the better of the two for now, who can play as AM. Also you have Ovie who can not be ignored excelled in Glasgow Rangers in a league that's not as good as the Championship by a considerable stretch.

The dark horse that is going to suprise all of you this season in my speculative opinion is Chuks Aneke now at Charlton.

At the bolded, i like that player, dickson etuhu, he had a brother that also played football right?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:00pm On Jul 26, 2019
andrew444:

At the bolded, i like that player, dickson etuhu, he had a brother that also played football right?

That's right Kelvin he played for Man city a few games but lacked long term consistent quality and fizzled out to the lower leagues.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:01pm On Jul 26, 2019
komekn:

That's right Kelvin he played for Man city a few games but lacked long term consistent quality and fizzled out to the lower leagues.

Lol

But i think dickson has a decent career
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2019
andrew444:

Lol

But i think dickson has a decent career

Agreed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 26, 2019
Earthquake2:

Liverpool play a counter attacking brand of football and most of their play come through the wing

In the case of the Super Eagles, Chukwueze is not a playmaker, Musa is not, the midfield of Ndidi, Etebo and Iwobi hardly complete 70% of their passes

Super Eagles best play is giving the ball to the opposition and hitting them on the counter

Rohr is the problem. He ought to build the team around Iwobi and mandate Iwobi to distribute. Same thing Chelsea did with Hazard.

Iwobi is the closest thing we have to a play maker. He may not be very reliable for now, but such project will help build his confidence.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:05pm On Jul 26, 2019
Earthquake2:

The point I'm making is if our midfield is crap why can't we switch to playing more from the flank?? Agreed neither Musa nor Chukwueze are playmakers but they are goalscorers. The modified doesn't necessarily have to be the one feeding them the ball..
Using Liverpool as an example,their midfield last season lacked creativity that was right after Coutinho left and Chamberlain got injured..Klopp improvised and switched to wing play... It worked! Robertson and Arnold contributed over 30 assists between them and created loads of chance maybe more than the midfield itself.. Salah and Mane played their own part too!!
Why can't Rohr try the same strategy? Give the wingers more freedom up front!! . Look at Onyekuru for instance, he has been playing as a wide forward most of his career.. that's how he thrive. he has scored load of goals from that position. Imagine Rohr asking him to be supporting the defence when he plays!! How can he thrive in that role??

I dunno why some of us find it easy to say we have crap players when the coach's fault are glaring..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:07pm On Jul 26, 2019
Danielnino00:
Sunday Faleye has joined Austrian Club FC Wacker Insbruck on a two year deal...

Coming from npfl, not a bad move

Na from those austria clubs many players dey use go bundesliga
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:08pm On Jul 26, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Do you really think he cried to his coach? His wife is his confidant and you wouldn't expect him to tell others the things he tells her.

You can say the coach missed it but a player that unfit should not be starting the game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:09pm On Jul 26, 2019
Danielnino00:

For good wingers to play they ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE Good quality Wing/Full backs or it is a waist of time and the team imbalance causes gaps across the field of play resulting in loss of team cohesion and connectivity.

Which cause panic and mistakes across the defense and pulls the midfield backwards and you loose attacking edge..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 10:11pm On Jul 26, 2019
breezy147:

Rohr is the problem. He ought to build the team around Iwobi and mandate Iwobi to distribute. Same thing Chelsea did with Hazard.

Iwobi is the closest thing we have to a play maker. He may not be very reliable for now, but such project will help build his confidence.

Building the team around Iwobi is like building your house on sand as he is inconsistent and not matured on the ball

The truth is the SE lack the player to build an attacking the team around

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:12pm On Jul 26, 2019
i don't also judge players by you-tube clips but have seen these guys in live matches. onomah's progression for now is stagnant and have been inconsistent for the past 2 seasons which is the reason why he is no longer considered for a call up to the English u21 team. pochettino is a coach who gives promising starlets a chance in spurs so if onomah is as good as you hype him here i see no reason why spurs wants to discard him.

he is still young and the room to bounce back to his best is still there but for now he is not among those to be considered for a possible call up to the super eagles. if he moves to the bundesliga or any championship team as rumored and performs better then i will be the first to sing his praises here but for now no!

chuks aneke is 26 and just signed for charlton but at that age i doubt if he will get a look in considering the fact that we have younger talented players playing in better leagues with good stats. i am not disputing the fact that he may get a call up but he has to be exceptional in the championship to attract that.

komekn:

I am not an advocate of video clips as the main tool to asses players it is too easily contrived and manipulated to make players look better than they actually are. When i submit video clips i only submit 5-7 minute clips of individual games not merge 5/6 games into one clip to make you look like Neymar when you are more like Phil Neville.

Aribo is tough battling midfielder who has fought his way against all odds to get to where he is, he hant been schooled in the technical niceties of the game but he is a warrior and he is somewhat similar to Gerrard in his style of play. Now that's the pertinent phrase STYLE OF PLAY.

So i am going to put three Youtube videos of these 4 players Aribo, Eze, Onomah,
and Chuks which gives a clear indication of thier STYLE OF PLAY then you can answer the question which most suites the 9ja way or if you like historical organisation delivery ethos of the SE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErDm8bpnHPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hMYD3xUATs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_0--DvJ0Ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xW1zhLD8bY

The choice is your, Akpoo, Amala, Starch or Pounded Yam tongue tongue tongue

Ovie does not need to bulk up AT ALL he is deceptively strong although he doesn't really like the physical side of football he is more intelligent and technical with his football.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6709) (6710) (6711) (6712) (6713) (6714) (6715) ... (16125) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mkrest(m), zicky(m), M7even(m), victornoah(m), mummyson26(m), KpagoGIN(m), Psittacus(m), Samueltemi337(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.