Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,809 members, 7,862,680 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:13 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6853) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11942126 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6850) (6851) (6852) (6853) (6854) (6855) (6856) ... (16354) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:56am On Aug 12, 2019
Joebie:
This is my take on the Best SE HOPEFULS XI (Formation 4-2-3-1) so far, considering all league/UEFA competitions this 2019/2020 season:

REASONS:
1. David Okereke makes the cut as the undisputed best forward, scoring 4 goals after 4 games (Champions League qualifier inclusive) for Club Brugge. Chuba Akpom was in contention for the sole center-forward position scoring against Ajax in UEFA Champions League qualification.

2. Samuel Eduok, Ebere Eze and Abduljalil Ajagun all make the cut in the advanced midfield position. All three players have recorded at least a goal and an assist in their campaign so far, except Eze who added an MOTM performance this week, to the goal he scored in the previous round. Sheyi Ojo gets joint mention with Eduok. Although it can be argued that Eduok has been more impressive with stats of 2 goals and 2 assists in only 2 games, other may counter with reason that the Scottish League is rated higher than the Croatian league based on UEFA's coefficient for season 2018/2019. Hence, I have smuggled Ojo's name in as a joint mention, considering his goals in UEFA qualification against clubs from lowly Gibraltar and Luxembourg, and not forgetting his more important goal for Rangers in the weekend.
Dennis Bonaventure, Osayi-Samuel, and Chidera Ejuke were also in contention.

3. Joe Aribo makes the team as the best CM so far. He beat Aneke to it despite the fact that the latter scored a goal in his only game so far this season. Aribo has more games under his belt so far this season and has been more impressive as a CM scoring 3 goals in UEFA qualifiers against teams from Gibraltar, Luxembourg and Denmark. However, if Aneke gets more minutes and impressive stats in the Championship he could knock Aribo off in subsequent rounds. Let's wait and see.

4. Anderson Esiti gets my nod as the stand-alone DM. Although playing in a league ranked 20 according to UEFA, his only game so far this season was the 2-2 draw recorded against a big weight team, Ajax, in a UEFA Champions league qualifier. Luke Amos, who has started all games for QPR in the Championship so far, was in contention for the DM role.

5. Chima Okoroji (LB clocked 180 mins), Tosin Adarabioyo (clocked 90 mins), and Felix Agu (clocked 180 mins with 1 assist), and Junior Pius completes the back-line. Pius, who only played a 25 minutes part Antwerp's 1-0 win over Czech's Plzn in Europa League qualification, no thanks to a knee injury he picked up, edged out Fikayo Tomori for the other CB role. Tomori only made the bench in Chelsea's loss to ManU. Despite the fact that Moses Odubajo (RB) has clocked 180 mins for Sheffield Wednesday, he was edged out by Felix Agu who has an assist to his credit. Gorica's Musa Muhammed (RB) was also in contention.

6. My best XI is lacking a keeper for obvious reasons. David Nwokolor has only made Rijeka's bench once after 5 games this season. Sabastian Osigwe has allowed 8 goals after 4 starts, playing in the Swiss second tier. He has 2 shut-outs though, but still not worthy to be named here. Alampasu is with Feirense U23 (lack of data). Any home based we can recommend?

Feel free to debate my post or make suggestions.

Not bad based on their current performance but....

Why is Osimhen not in contention for the Striker position?

Samuel Eduok played as a LW not RW. Sheyi Ojo has scored 3 goals with 2 assist in 6 matches.

Is there any site that indicates that a player won MOTM in the Belgium Pro League?

What position did Semi Ajayi play this season?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:59am On Aug 12, 2019
Eartquake1:

Wolfsburg should not get a kobo from his sales, they freezed him out of the team at one point for God's sake

Wolfsburg is the club where he signed his first professional contract. I think they are entitled to a share of his transfer fee if he leaves lille for a huge fee .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:04am On Aug 12, 2019
bossto:
Walai watching him play reminds me of drogba!

Someone who doesn't know him says he's lightweight.....I laugh in Swahili

I was surprised to read some comments on goal.com
some British Chelsea fans already fantasizing a partnership between him and Tammy Abraham at Chelsea...
one arsenal fan...already hoping they sign him next summer...

one asked...how does this small clubs get this good unknown players to sign?

He was like they already got another pepe replacement after the cool cash just made from the sale of the Ivorian.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:07am On Aug 12, 2019
Tnks bro
simiife:

Happy birthday bro,long life and prosperity

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:28am On Aug 12, 2019
ChrisKels:

Sorry I didn’t clarify, place Agu on the left, and place Odubajo on the right while chima sits on the bench. Odubajo has been impressive for Sheffield Wednesday in the championship

Modified: Mandela Chinweizu Egbo is also killing it as a RB in Bundesliga2 for Darmstat

Hmm! Egbo don commot for Borussia Mönchengladbach. shocked

He is coming from the bench.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:34am On Aug 12, 2019
ChrisKels:

This flop that couldn't get a shirt at lowly Levante? Abeg this one no follow for news grin

How e go be news for.........? Finish am.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 10:36am On Aug 12, 2019
Joebie:
everything na upbringing.. The Nigerian environment does not encourage this. You can't expect them to just change mindset as soon as they land abroad
they are just lazy,can't even try and learns how to take common freekick for their club mates that are good at it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:51am On Aug 12, 2019
Nantes want to have the option of signing him permanently for €5m after his loan spell but Levante ‎want at least €8m with add ons which could see the fee rise to €10m.

Negotiations were paused for a while as Nantes had to get a coach in place first and that they did with the appointment of Christian Gourcuff in place of Vahid Halilhodzic who quit the club last week after a disagreement with the directors of the club.

For now Simon who is also courting interest from other teams in France, Spain and Germany will continue to train with Levante hoping a deal can be struck with Nantes or any other team unless he is assured of playing time with Levante.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 10:58am On Aug 12, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Hbd to me! grin
Happy Birthday, Emeka. You will prosper in every good way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 11:01am On Aug 12, 2019
Humility017:

I was surprised to read some comments on goal.com
some British Chelsea fans already fantasizing a partnership between him and Tammy Abraham at Chelsea...
one arsenal fan...already hoping they sign him next summer...

one asked...how does this small clubs get this good unknown players to sign?

He was like they already got another pepe replacement after the cool cash just made from the sale of the Ivorian.
Osimhen is good, that's all there is to it!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:33am On Aug 12, 2019
tbaba1234:
If Osimhen scores 15-20 goals, he would probably be valued at 50M upwards.

Wolfsburg would be the biggest losers.

With the way I am seeing he will score any of those figures

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:36am On Aug 12, 2019
Humility017:

I tell you...they made a mistake selling him to that Belgium club...he should be loaned and this season sell him to Lille and make x5 of the sum used to sign him...

they still made some cash though it wasn't a loss

Before he was loaned to Charleroi they have the option to buy which can be activated anytime ,after he did well Charleroi activated the option immediately

You think say Wolfsburg nah mumu,they have no power to stop it ,they wouldn't have sold to Charleroi but it was already out of their hands

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:39am On Aug 12, 2019
tbaba1234:
If Osimhen scores 15-20 goals, he would probably be valued at 50M upwards.

Wolfsburg would be the biggest losers.

I told you this
a year ago when they let him go in the first place.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:44am On Aug 12, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Hbd to me! grin

Happy birthday boss man. Long life and happiness to you.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:46am On Aug 12, 2019
andrew444:

Before he was loaned to Charleroi they have the option to buy which can be activated anytime ,after he did well Charleroi activated the option immediately

You think say Wolfsburg nah mumu,they have no power to stop it ,they wouldn't have sold to Charleroi but it was already out of their hands

They should have never loaned him in the first place. I was even expecting a big season before they proceeded to embarrass him before the football world. Well as they say the rest is history
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:49am On Aug 12, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

I told you this
a year ago when they let him go in the first place.

Yes, i remember you said so

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:56am On Aug 12, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

They should have never loaned him in the first place. I was even expecting a big season before they proceeded to embarrass him before the football world. Well as they say the rest is history

Such things do happens

Hope you know man united allowed pogba to join juventus for free ? But you know the story that they ended up buying him back for 100million

So many clubs have their mistakes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:11pm On Aug 12, 2019
To get the answers, you will need to slowly read my post that explains the logic behind the ratings, and this one you quoted.
If u are familiar with many best XI you would know that the formation can influence variations in player positions. It’s not always held strictly. And by the way didn’t I already say I had to sneak in Ojo’s name in there? Clear ur eye and read it again grin
forgiveness:

Samuel Eduok played as a LW not RW. Sheyi Ojo has scored 3 goals with 2 assist in 6 matches.

Is there any site that indicates that a player won MOTM in the Belgium Pro League?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:13pm On Aug 12, 2019
andrew444:

Such things do happens

Hope you know man united allowed pogba to join juventus for free ? But you know the story that they ended up buying him back for 100million

So many clubs have their mistakes

Pogba was not forced out like Victor
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:14pm On Aug 12, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Pogba was not forced out like Victor

Victor was loaned

Pogba was allowed to go for free of charge ,they made no penny from him

If Wolfsburg knew victor will come out good they won't allow him leave

That's why I said such things do happen in football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:15pm On Aug 12, 2019
tbaba1234:

Yes, i remember you said so

I am not trying to do a told you so but I just want to reemphasize that these young boys need time to adapt when they get to Europe. They can have a bad season or two but they will come good in the end.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:21pm On Aug 12, 2019
Let me help you. For Sheyi Ojo, I considered the strength of the opppsitions. However I still gave him a joint mention in the team with reasons already stated if u cared to read it before replying. So no need for the argument.
Ajayi and Osimhen are integral parts of Rohr’s team, based on the last preliminary list Rohr released. They are not SE hopefuls.
forgiveness:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:28pm On Aug 12, 2019
andrew444:

Victor was loaned

Pogba was allowed to go for free of charge ,they made no penny from him

If Wolfsburg knew victor will come out good they won't allow him leave

That's why I said such things do happen in football

Pogba ran his contract down there was nothing Manchester could do. If Victor's loan didn't work out they would have released him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:29pm On Aug 12, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Pogba ran his contract down there was nothing Manchester could do. If Victor's loan didn't work out they would have released him.

That's true

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:39pm On Aug 12, 2019
Danielnino00:

I totally agree...our regular players need time to settle down at their club considering how much time they missed during pre season due to AFCON engagement..

But we know Rohr!!
*Rhor invites fresh players*, nairalanders: we talk am, this man is archaic does he want to change the whole team? So he doesn't want the team to gel well, blablabla. We know nairalanders

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:42pm On Aug 12, 2019
IMO David Okereke is vastly unappreciated. 4 goals and 2 assists in 170 club minutes for Brugge is not a fluke. I'm potentially visualizing a 4-4-2 attack with Osimhen and Okereke ahead.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:58pm On Aug 12, 2019
Danielnino00:

I totally agree...our regular players need time to settle down at their club considering how much time they missed during pre season due to AFCON engagement..

But we know Rohr!!

Even thou rohr do am you go still complain

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:59pm On Aug 12, 2019
jihday:
*Rhor invites fresh players*, nairalanders: we talk am, this man is archaic does he want to change the whole team? So he doesn't want the team to gel well, blablabla. We know nairalanders

No mind them

The person wey you just quote go still complain

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:10pm On Aug 12, 2019
andrew444:

No mind them

The person wey you just quote go still complain
Danny go complain na, I trust am

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:17pm On Aug 12, 2019
andrew444:

Even thou rohr do am you go still complain

I'm the one suggesting it now.. if I complain later on,come and stone me..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 1:19pm On Aug 12, 2019
I love the way wr hype our players to the heavens, i would rather wait till the end of a season or two so i can monitor their progress. Thats said, Osihmen is a decent who has to be consistent and i love his fighting spirit. He will get there but for now i will keep observing

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:20pm On Aug 12, 2019
jihday:
Danny go complain na, I trust am

Rohr has been in charge of the team for 3 years now yet he doesn't know his starting eleven.. he experimented at the world cup..experimented at the AFCON too!! We went to Egypt with 23 players and used all of them...very laughable .

the man is still stuck with the 1990s coaching idea. .
A coach that doesn't know how to utilize the players at his disposal..

(1) (2) (3) ... (6850) (6851) (6852) (6853) (6854) (6855) (6856) ... (16354) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: engineerboat(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.