Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,399 members, 7,846,687 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (719) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11839948 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) ... (16240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:22am On Mar 27, 2017
I’m glad my son has chosen Nigeria – Ebuehi’s dad

Marvin , the father of Holland - based defender Tyronne Ebuehi, says he is happy that his son has finally committed his international future to Nigeria .

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr named Ebuehi in the Super Eagles ’ squad to face Algeria in a Russia 2018 World Cup qualifier in November last year in Uyo , but the 21 - year - old rejected the invite on the ground that the time was not right .

The ADO Den Haag right - back , who has a Dutch mother , was favoured to choose Holland ahead of Nigeria before he honoured Rohr ’s call - up for the friendly games against Senegal and Burkina Faso, which has been called off.

“ I must confess to you that I am glad that he has finally committed to Nigeria . I am very proud as a father . The first call - up , there was a misunderstanding and things went the way they did , unfortunately , ” the Nigeria Football Federation ’s official website quoted Amsterdam- based businessman Marvin as saying on Sunday .

“ I apologise for that misunderstanding . I have always said that he would have to play for Nigeria at senior level , because I am proud of my country. ”

He added , “ Tyronne has always been crazy about football from an early age . I put him in an academy at the age of six and I ’m not surprised that he’s on the way to living his dream . ”

Tyronne ’s sister Tyvanne is a UK - based model and brother Trevin is a student in Holland .

“ I am praying that Tyronne fulfils his ambition of playing for a big club in Europe , and also become an important player for the Super Eagles of Nigeria ,” Marvin said .

Meanwhile, Ogenyi Onazi said the Eagles ’ 1 - 1 draw against Senegal in London on Thursday had ignited a burning desire for World Cup qualification .

“ I am always delighted anytime I look at the faces of everyone in camp . The determination is real and infectious . It is a young and focused group ; we all want to qualify for the World Cup 2018 and the next Africa Cup of Nations .”

Source: http://punchng.com/im-glad-my-son-has-chosen-nigeria-ebuehis-dad/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 5:23am On Mar 27, 2017
komekn:

This is a comment I posted weeks ago in which I considered there individual attributes. Aluko has played in the hard physicality of both the EPL and the championship and excelled even with carpenters all around him.

Consider both players, from an individual perspective not just team set up.

How well will Iwobi perform in a kick and rush team with less emphasis on connective passing is open to debate. In this regard Aluko has done it seen it and passed the exam.

What I am saying it's easy to look skillful and knit and thread your passes in an Arsenal team. So judge the individual not just the settings in which he strives to perform.

I should have been more indepth in my meaning as opposed to being suggestive. The question should have been how would Iwobi perform in a blood and guts, brute strength football brawl That question has been largely answered from the comments made about him in the Senegal game. He simply went missing and couldn't cope with the physicality. A warning about what we can expect from Cameroon but only a lot more as there is so much more at stake.

In this regard considering who we have in the team Success and Ogu could prove essential as our options are limited.

Youre a wonderful character. You believe the reports about Iwobi but say those who praise Success in the same match have ulterior motives. Alas, the reports of both players came from the same people. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:23am On Mar 27, 2017
Just watched an interview with Rohr. It appears, the second match will be Nigeria vs Nigeria. He has invited Nigeria young players in Europe like Aina and Co to make up the second team. More like a training game but he gets a closer look at some of the prospects.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:27am On Mar 27, 2017

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:28am On Mar 27, 2017
Burkina Faso cancelled the Nigerian game because they could not get Visas, only 7 players had visas.. Rohr confirmed it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:35am On Mar 27, 2017

Wilfred Ndidi © Getty Images

Ndidi explains Leicester's revival

Nigerian midfielder Wilfred Ndidi believes that the recent improvement by English champions Leicester City has been down to mental strength.

Leicester City have put together four games without a loss since Claudio Ranieri was sacked and Ndidi believes that he has not seen any changes in the team except that the side "developed a new mindset."

Ndidi also spoke about the style of new Leicester manager Craig Shakespeare.

“Nothing much has changed, only the fact that the coach was sacked and we developed a new mindset. Our mind is focused on winning, avoiding the same mistakes we made in the past and to keep fighting to get the necessary points.

“The new manager combines a great knowledge of the team, lessons picked up from previous matches and has his own ideas on how to set us up for the challenges we face,” Ndidi was quoted as saying by English newspaper, The Sun.

The former Genk man then doused claims that players of Leicester influenced the sacking of Ranieri.

“It hurts to think people could say that. The players continued to fight to get results.

“Unfortunately we couldn’t manage to do it. But I doubt there are footballers who don’t care about winning.

“Claudio had a special effect on everyone and to suddenly hear about his sack was shocking,” said Ndidi.

Ndidi has made eight league appearances for the English champions and provided an assist.

Source: http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/170326/Ndidi_explains_Leicesters_revival

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:44am On Mar 27, 2017
Interesting Interview...... smiley
So it will be Super Eagles main vs Nigerian Euro-based prospects XI including the likes of Aina, Maja etc.... ? grin

I only have a little problem with one of the questions the interviewer asked....

he asked... "Why do you keep changing the defence? what is wrong with the defence?"

Is he for real? I mean haven't this guy been following??

Rohr hardly touches the oyibo wall and Echiejile....

And for the last two games now, Omeruo have played Rightback.... so wetin the guy come dey ask sef??

His question may be linked to the change from Musa Mohammed (vs Tanzania) to Ndidi (vs Zambia) to Omeruo (vs Algeria and now Senegal) all at right back... but his question was kinda off joor.... him no try for that one.... he wasted the chance to ask a proper info-seeking question... looollll

tbaba1234:
Rohr's interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMXxcAjPpKo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:49am On Mar 27, 2017
One technical area that needs to be changed in the Super Eagles is the goalkeeping department. I am sure that I am not the only one seeing Akpeyi shaking and jittery... He flopped a ball again leading to the Senegalese goal. Emmanuel Daniel was much better than him in the Olympics and I am sure can do a better job if given a shot.

Just like Rohr is exploring for better players, so should the goalkeeping coaches. Ezenwa is not even the best in Nigeria. Akpeyi can still be on the team but not as second choice. This friendlies would have offered us a chance to see one new keeper. Ikeme is injury - prone and Enyeama is not ready to come back.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:59am On Mar 27, 2017
I agree that of all the goalkeeping options we have in Ikeme's absence outside Akpeyi and Ezenwa.... Emma Daniel tops based on his experience with the U-23 side at 2015's U-23 Afcon and the Rio 2016 Olympics.

But the problem is this.... Rohr won't give Daniel or any new good Goalie their debut in a crucial World Cup qualifier except that goalie is Neuer himself or Buffon. It will be so difficult to see Rohr make such a decision. In fact, almost impossible....

Ofcos Ezenwa isn't the best in The NPFL... and Akpeyi doesn't inspire much confidence but Akpeyi especially has caps...... and have manned the post in two competitive games already (one under Siasia and one under Rohr)..... do you see Rohr giving a debut to a goalie in the games against Cameroon?

tbaba1234:
One technical area that needs to be changed in the Super Eagles is the goalkeeping department. I am sure that I am not the only one seeing Akpeyi shaking and jittery... He flopped a ball again leading to the Senegalese goal. Emmanuel Daniel was much better than him in the Olympics and I am sure can do a better job if given a shot.

Just like Rohr is exploring for better players, so should the goalkeeping coaches. Ezenwa is not even the best in Nigeria. Akpeyi can still be on the team but not as second choice. This friendlies would have offered us a chance to see one new keeper. Ikeme is injury - prone and Enyeama is not ready to come back.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:12am On Mar 27, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I was talking about our league, at least half the clubs have a foriegn player on their roster. The most common are from Benin but we also have Ghana, Togo, DR Congo, Ivory Coast and even Brasil. A few of them even play for their national teams.
i doubt most of those guys are good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:16am On Mar 27, 2017
komekn:

I remember some years ago inviting A Nigerian origin midfield player, who was playing in the premiership too come to the Nigerian camp in Abuja.

He compared the framework to the English set up that is highly formalised. And refused to come down to Abuja feeling he would be snubbed.

Unless the players have someone who is an insider or linked in with the NFF nobody will just turn up like that. This is England no be Naija.
Guess Charlton Cole who was later capped by England
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:51am On Mar 27, 2017
tbaba1234:

It is too early to worry about Cameroon, we have games against South Africa first.. Cameroon is not that much stronger than Senegal and we coped well without our strongest team. The only goal scored was off a goalkeeping error
Truly Cameroon is not that much stronger but they are Africa champion and we must give them that respect.

I did not watched d match so i cannot say much but try to read a lot of comments here regards to d team performance and even technical crew.

On goal scored by Senegal,i want to say error should not be used to justify our performance,apart from Daniel Akpeyi's error,Iheanacho missed some chances from what i read here,sometimes it happened,all we need is to correct d mistakes and prepare d boys for d task ahead.

The question we should be asking is do we achieve our aims and objectives in this friendly match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unak78: 7:59am On Mar 27, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I agree that of all the goalkeeping options we have in Ikeme's absence outside Akpeyi and Ezenwa.... Emma Daniel tops based on his experience with the U-23 side at 2015's U-23 Afcon and the Rio 2016 Olympics.

But the problem is this.... Rohr won't give Daniel or any new good Goalie their debut in a crucial World Cup qualifier except that goalie is Neuer himself or Buffon. It will be so difficult to see Rohr make such a decision. In fact, almost impossible....

Ofcos Ezenwa isn't the best in The NPFL... and Akpeyi doesn't inspire much confidence but Akpeyi especially has caps...... and have manned the post in two competitive games already (one under Siasia and one under Rohr)..... do you see Rohr giving a debut to a goalie in the games against Cameroon?

The efforts are surely being made; had Enyeama been able to be convinced to returned, then between Iheme and him, Naija would have a more than serviceable pair of keepers barring the extreme unlikelihood of losing both within a single competition. As it stands, without Iheme, Nigeria is greatly exposed and risks defeat every time they chose not to protect their keeper's shortcomings. That said, Akpeyi's biggest flaws were his ball distribution and handling. He made some serviceable saves though. His handling skilled can be carefully managed with specific instructions on how he should manage the game. Or perhaps a single one; punt long every time...

Perhaps, had Nigeria been able to participate in the AfCoN with a strong showing, then the space could be made in these friendlies to explore goalkeeping options, but Rohr is in a tough position here. With Cameroon's AfCoN win, it becomes important for Rohr to re-establish some momentum going into the Cameroon matchup. That means at least going unbeaten until that pair of matches. Experimentation now, could sap all the mental advantages of late last year, he could begin to lose the cohesiveness he enjoyed with the squad and they could revolt and stop playing for him. So he has less incentive to play a new keeper when the one he has been playing has a win under his belt already. Burkina Faso could be the matchup to try a new keeper, being not on the level of Senegal though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:07am On Mar 27, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Looollll.... don't mind Sir Forgiveness..... wink

I watched the whole game.... and I see more positives than negatives.

His analysis on iheanacho is so flawed.... Nacho was a baller in that game apart from his missed chances. In fact, it was Nacho who set up His own first missed chance... he flicked a ball cleverly to Ndidi who spread nicely to the wings for Simon moses and Nacho somehow got there on time but failed to convert.... Nacho's Skill move on the left also got us our first cornerkick.... na wa oooo.... lemme stop here abeg.... Coz Nacho had several bright moments in that game.

Sir Forgiveness' hype on Simon Moses is very funny. Simon did good but was not spectacular.... abeg... Simon was mostly confined to the left.... na from where he come play SS and AM abeg?? Simon and Musa that got some crosses wrong for all their speed and runnings... they hardly made impact. They just showed flashes of brilliance and speed here and there....

And talking about Defensive sides... yes Simon did contribute defensively but so also did Kelechi.... forgotten that dangerous cross nodded away within the first 15-20mins? who was that?

Also Musa tried defensively too... his speed helped us kinda on that right flank. He was always hassling the Senegalese. But when on the ball... Mehn... he was kinda ordinary... he needs to step up.... the Musa I know is better... far better than what I saw against Senegal.

Na wa oooo.... Sir Forgiveness... even with full video evidence, you still wanna raise some players up and put some down... it is not fair oooo.... just say it as it is... no painting abeg.

On success.... I was very impressed with Success for two reasons....

one... this is his very first game for The Super Eagles and he didn't look overwhelmed by the atmosphere.

two.... within the little time frame he had.... he showed power, skills, guts and dare.... Success became the newest menace on the pitch. He drew fouls and gave us a fighting chance. Highly rated Koulibaly couldn't cope with Success.... and someone isn't impressed?? Na wa oooo.....

Abeg... I think we have dwelt too much on this friendly.

But before I stop..... a couple of more points please...

I have to point out that Onazi was beautiful before he left the pitch.... he lost the ball just once I think but at other times, he marshalled the midfield quite good even when the Senegalese recovered (after our short foray into their half) and were pressing us within the first 25 mins... (in that time frame... about 5-8mins belongs to us.... the rest to Senegal).

Goodness me!.. did you see the way he (Onazi) turned Gueye (i think?) when under pressure from him in Nigeria's own half.... or the way he wriggled his way into keeping the passing going at one point in the first 15mins...?

Onazi did quite okay and even had two tall Senegalese midfielders on him most times.... they knew he was Nigeria's main midfield man.... Ndidi was also asserting himself.... Ndidi hardly put a foot wrong.....

But when Ogu came in.... well.... the heights and Size war in midfield became balanced... But like seriously... I will still pick Onazi over Ogu for now.... Ogu is needed when we are in possession and executing a passing/possessive game (which Onazi can do too but not better than Ogu)... But Onazi is really needed when we are under pressure and need to defend... he is calm and composed and also has 4 Lungs (Ndidi has 8.... Etebo has 20) grin...

You guys need to watch that first 25mins again.... Onazi is still relevant abeg.... but he should watch his back shaa... coz When Mikel returns... I don't wanna see Ndidi out of that midfield....

Etebo, who is super versatile, is also in the picture but is primarily an AMF and SS... Iwobi may not start against Cameroun unless....... *winks*

Well.... until then... it is rohr's call after all.... wink

On our defence.... Mehn! Echiejile is still a baller abeg.... Like Sir Forgiveness rightly said... he needs a very very good deputy. smiley

Omeruo was Hardly ruffled too...

Leon and Troost made a couple of mistakes during the opening 25mins but soon picked up.... during that tumultuous period, Senegal rocked the inside of the post to Akpeyi's left....

And yes.. Akpeyi in as much as he may keep goal if Ikeme isn't fit for Cameroon(God forbid to that abeg).... I must confess that he was quite jittery for most parts of the game against Senegal...

But yeah... he did pull off some nice/good saves/stops.

Abeg... may Akpeyi not be a time bomb for us oooo.... Amen!!!!!!! grin grin He can be good sometimes and then atrocious sometimes.... let's pray for more of the good if we are gonna be seeing more of him in goal for us.... coz we got serious goalkeeping crisis Mehn!!!!

All in all.... We have a rising force of a team on our hands here.... Just Mikel in that team would have seen us Beat those Senegalese.... Yes... just Mikel... (Victor Moses and Ikeme could even be rested and Mikel alone added to that team is more than enough). I am darn serious.

But hey.... we still have a long way to go shaa... but the good thing is... we are really becoming hard to beat and still play some beautiful football. Our Super Eagles can only get better and better.... smiley

***To be continued....

Three gbosa for u for this simple analysis.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unak78: 8:07am On Mar 27, 2017
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nigerias-friendly-monday-cancelled-seven-10103221
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/03/burkina-faso-nigeria-friendly-cancelled-uk-visas-170326075911828.html
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39393843

...well sh**. So much for preparation. Who's idea was it to schedule all of these friendlies in England anyway without preparing visas ahead of time? Nigeria's last prep match for Cameroon is now a AfCoN qualifier that they can scarcely afford to experiment in unless they get a big lead early...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:22am On Mar 27, 2017
Unak78:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nigerias-friendly-monday-cancelled-seven-10103221
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/03/burkina-faso-nigeria-friendly-cancelled-uk-visas-170326075911828.html
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39393843

...well sh**. So much for preparation. Who's idea was it to schedule all of these friendlies in England anyway without preparing visas ahead of time? Nigeria's last prep match for Cameroon is now a AfCoN qualifier that they can scarcely afford to experiment in unless they get a big lead early...
another friendly is being organised for today. This is old news

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:31am On Mar 27, 2017
Meanwhile, who is to bkanw fir thus oversight with the Burkina game? The NFF or the Burkina Federation?

They played their last game on Friday, couldn't these guys have started processing their visas earlier on? Or is it just black men being black men?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:30am On Mar 27, 2017
tbaba1234:

The team ended the game quite strongly and could have won... There are lots of positives.. Your breakdown looked at negatives which i do not necessarily agree with. With Mikel and Victor Moses, that is a completely different game.. Isaac Success looked very good.

Opponents will always focus at the negative to do the damages.

What are the negatives you don't agree with?

Of course, I never said Isaac Success was bad but I said people exaggerated his game.

What are the positives you saw?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:32am On Mar 27, 2017
safarigirl:
is onyedinma based in London?

I like to think Aina is there because he stays around as opposed to those who may have to travel from their residence. It's like expecting someone who plays in Kano to drop by a training in Lagos. A lot of logistics are involved, I doubt Aina sleeps at the hotel with them unless he dey follow Iwobi share bed

The transportation system in UK can't be compared with Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:35am On Mar 27, 2017
Joebie:
It's high time we started looking at the match ups versus Cameroon. E.g Vincent Abubakar is a bully striker who can create a chance out of nothing. I think we need to worry about our defense. We will need something near world class to ensure we come out unscathed after the double header. Can our 4 man defense withstand the pressure. The second half against Senegal makes me worry. I'm not talking about the end of the game.

Really, the defense gave cause to worry. Rohr should look for a better replacement for Omeruo else his wing will be the weakling for the Cameroonians to cause damages.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:58am On Mar 27, 2017
Napoleon55:
Let's disbanded the whole team then. ...

All these Just for one friendly match.

Did you watch the match?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:37am On Mar 27, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Looollll.... don't mind Sir Forgiveness..... wink

I watched the whole game.... and I see more positives than negatives.

His analysis on iheanacho is so flawed.... Nacho was a baller in that game apart from his missed chances. In fact, it was Nacho who set up His own first missed chance... he flicked a ball cleverly to Ndidi who spread nicely to the wings for Simon moses and Nacho somehow got there on time but failed to convert.... Nacho's Skill move on the left also got us our first cornerkick.... na wa oooo.... lemme stop here abeg.... Coz Nacho had several bright moments in that game.

Sir Forgiveness' hype on Simon Moses is very funny. Simon did good but was not spectacular.... abeg... Simon was mostly confined to the left.... na from where he come play SS and AM abeg?? Simon and Musa that got some crosses wrong for all their speed and runnings... they hardly made impact. They just showed flashes of brilliance and speed here and there....

And talking about Defensive sides... yes Simon did contribute defensively but so also did Kelechi.... forgotten that dangerous cross nodded away within the first 15-20mins? who was that?

Also Musa tried defensively too... his speed helped us kinda on that right flank. He was always hassling the Senegalese. But when on the ball... Mehn... he was kinda ordinary... he needs to step up.... the Musa I know is better... far better than what I saw against Senegal.

Na wa oooo.... Sir Forgiveness... even with full video evidence, you still wanna raise some players up and put some down... it is not fair oooo.... just say it as it is... no painting abeg.

On success.... I was very impressed with Success for two reasons....

one... this is his very first game for The Super Eagles and he didn't look overwhelmed by the atmosphere.

two.... within the little time frame he had.... he showed power, skills, guts and dare.... Success became the newest menace on the pitch. He drew fouls and gave us a fighting chance. Highly rated Koulibaly couldn't cope with Success.... and someone isn't impressed?? Na wa oooo.....

Abeg... I think we have dwelt too much on this friendly.

But before I stop..... a couple of more points please...

I have to point out that Onazi was beautiful before he left the pitch.... he lost the ball just once I think but at other times, he marshalled the midfield quite good even when the Senegalese recovered (after our short foray into their half) and were pressing us within the first 25 mins... (in that time frame... about 5-8mins belongs to us.... the rest to Senegal).

Goodness me!.. did you see the way he (Onazi) turned Gueye (i think?) when under pressure from him in Nigeria's own half.... or the way he wriggled his way into keeping the passing going at one point in the first 15mins...?

Onazi did quite okay and even had two tall Senegalese midfielders on him most times.... they knew he was Nigeria's main midfield man.... Ndidi was also asserting himself.... Ndidi hardly put a foot wrong.....

But when Ogu came in.... well.... the heights and Size war in midfield became balanced... But like seriously... I will still pick Onazi over Ogu for now.... Ogu is needed when we are in possession and executing a passing/possessive game (which Onazi can do too but not better than Ogu)... But Onazi is really needed when we are under pressure and need to defend... he is calm and composed and also has 4 Lungs (Ndidi has 8.... Etebo has 20) grin...

You guys need to watch that first 25mins again.... Onazi is still relevant abeg.... but he should watch his back shaa... coz When Mikel returns... I don't wanna see Ndidi out of that midfield....

Etebo, who is super versatile, is also in the picture but is primarily an AMF and SS... Iwobi may not start against Cameroun unless....... *winks*

Well.... until then... it is rohr's call after all.... wink

On our defence.... Mehn! Echiejile is still a baller abeg.... Like Sir Forgiveness rightly said... he needs a very very good deputy. smiley

Omeruo was Hardly ruffled too...

Leon and Troost made a couple of mistakes during the opening 25mins but soon picked up.... during that tumultuous period, Senegal rocked the inside of the post to Akpeyi's left....

And yes.. Akpeyi in as much as he may keep goal if Ikeme isn't fit for Cameroon(God forbid to that abeg).... I must confess that he was quite jittery for most parts of the game against Senegal...

But yeah... he did pull off some nice/good saves/stops.

Abeg... may Akpeyi not be a time bomb for us oooo.... Amen!!!!!!! grin grin He can be good sometimes and then atrocious sometimes.... let's pray for more of the good if we are gonna be seeing more of him in goal for us.... coz we got serious goalkeeping crisis Mehn!!!!

All in all.... We have a rising force of a team on our hands here.... Just Mikel in that team would have seen us Beat those Senegalese.... Yes... just Mikel... (Victor Moses and Ikeme could even be rested and Mikel alone added to that team is more than enough). I am darn serious.

But hey.... we still have a long way to go shaa... but the good thing is... we are really becoming hard to beat and still play some beautiful football. Our Super Eagles can only get better and better.... smiley

***To be continued....

Do you think our opponents are not aware of our positives?

They already knew about that but I think they will focus more on the negatives which are too numerous for a team aiming to be among the top 5 in the world.

Maybe the Nacho you saw is different from the one I saw in that game.

The Nacho I know can spring passes, can split defense with a through pass and can score with half a chance but he obviously lacked all these attributes notable in his game.

His confidence level has definitely gone down and is about to crash if he continues to see limited game time in Manchester City.

He needs to move out of that team else I see no need of bringing a player who is not making his team to lead the Super Eagles attack.

Nigerians will not wait for him, we have other options readily available to take his place.

This my little piece of advice also goes to any player benched on a regularly bases in his team that has nothing to do with injury or lack of form but on the bases of surplus to requirement.

Really, I am not putting him down, I am just stating the obvious and I am really angry because Guardiola wants to flush him out of the team gradually with subtlety and evil craftiness.

I am not a dummy to have seen the hand written on the wall.

His advisers should not deceive him because of the mulla dey are making from him.

I am not hyping Simon. I am only debunking the false impression that he brings nothing to the team after seeing the match.

It is here I heard he his one way traffic and predictable when attacking.

Someone even said Samuel Kalu offers a lot to Gent than him when we know Kalu has done nothing for Gent so far, while Simon Moses single handedly led the team to win the league three seasons ago.

Even this season, he is one of the most important players for Gent. He is charged with the responsibilities of Wing back, taking set pieces, defending etc over all players in Gent.

Maybe that is why he was saddled with the responsibility of taking set pieces in that match against Senegal.

The last match I saw them played Moses and Kalu doesn't know what to do with the final balls though they got skills and trickery.

What makes a player specular is how he carries out his duties well in a game and I saw Moses did that very well.

I saw him in the middle, at the back and at the center.

Where did he give the pass to Iwobi? It was a the center.

It was Iwobi a saw exchanged passes with him on the left flank several times.

I no dey raise any player, I just told you what I saw.

Let another person who watched the match carefully and without bias confirm what I said. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:10am On Mar 27, 2017
SharpJoe:
Big thanks to Haruna Babangida for uploading this nice clip of his goals and assists. It shows how brilliant he was and it is still shocking one of our youngsters exported at such a young age did not make an impact in the Super Eagles.

cc: Icon4s, Kog45, TheSuperNerd, safarigirl, Joseph1013, lakesidepapa, goldfish80, Xzbit91, terzurum5, Bascovanvelli, lexyman, Humility017, ChrisKels, bigblangston, komekn.

Haruna Babangida Goals, assists and skills in Barcelona B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg4t-wEKAdo
Can someone tell Haruna to retitle the video.
Mennnn this Haruna was a class of its own.

Was it that he couldn't cut it in at the senior level or what.

Give us Haruna Babangida Lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:12am On Mar 27, 2017
otezu5:

See as you want make I laff fall off the Chair. I no gree shaaaa. Based on say this Kungfu wey TheGoodJoe de teach person no be for nothing. gringrin
Yea you were right. Now I am back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:24am On Mar 27, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I was talking about our league, at least half the clubs have a foriegn player on their roster. The most common are from Benin but we also have Ghana, Togo, DR Congo, Ivory Coast and even Brasil. A few of them even play for their national teams.
I remember as a kid there was this white guy who wanted to play us (think he was from Bosnia or something). Don't know the link he had with Nigeria, but it was surprising...can't remember his name.
Anyways, I doubt we have foreigners in the league good enough to make squad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 11:24am On Mar 27, 2017
plz what does under/over 2.5,2.25 and 2.75 mean
am kinda new into sports betting
plz oo help me na sad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:28am On Mar 27, 2017
NIGERIA TO PLAY NIGERIA IN LONDON AFTER BURKINA FASO RUNS INTO VISA PROBLEMS
BY TEDDY CUTLER

Nigeria will play Nigeria on Monday night in Barnet, north London, after its original opponent Burkina Faso failed to secure visas in time.

Eurodata Sport, the company in charge of organizing the match, told Newsweek that the Nigeria squad would stage a game amongst its own players at The Hive, home of English League Two team Barnet FC.

A statement published on the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) website Sunday stated seven Burkina Faso players had been refused entry into the United Kingdom, ensuring the country could not field a full team.

“There is no British Embassy in Ouagadougou, and officials of the Federation Burkinabe de Football had been shuttling between Accra and Ouagadougou for visa processing,” the NFF statement explained. “FBF [Burkinabe Football Federation] sources said the embassy in Accra told them last week to proceed to Morocco where the Etalons [Burkina Faso] played the Atlas Lions [Morocco] on Friday and that the visas would be issued there.

“However, the applications were still pending at the British embassy in Morocco as at close of work on Friday, the last working day before match day in London.

“The Burkinabe Football Federation on Friday, March 24 2017 by 7 p.m. U.K. time telephoned the match organizers to say some of their players and officials were unable to secure entry visas into the United Kingdom and therefore would not be able to honor the match.”

The match was meant as a warmup for Nigeria’s qualifying games this summer for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations and FIFA 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Nigeria is in London for a two-match tour. Gernot Rohr’s team drew 1-1 with Senegal at The Hive on Thursday evening, with the goal scored by Manchester City striker, Kelechi Iheanacho.

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/nigeria-burkina-faso-friendly-barnet-sport-574539

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:31am On Mar 27, 2017
You are back ba?? angry
So na you be Oga Otezu5 ? abi na your clone? angry
The only man with a hi-five..... oya confess.... angry

terzurum5:
Yea you were right. Now I am back.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:37am On Mar 27, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Nigerian Striker Adi Equals Portland Timbers Goals Record

Nigerian striker Fanendo Adi equalled Portland Timbers’ all-time goal-scoring record on Sunday by scoring his 45th goal for the club, who lost 3-2 to Columbus Crew in a Major League Soccer clash, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Adi scored his ninth MLS goal of the season (fourth in his last four games) with a cool finish, his 45th since joining the side, to equal John Bain at the top of Portland’s all-time scoring chart.

The strike restored parity for the Timbers at 2-2 after goals from Justin Meram and Ola Kamara had cancelled out an early goal from Portland’s Dairon Asprilla. Niko Hansen scored an 84th minute goal to seal the win for Columbus.

The 26-year-old Adi scored his 45 goals in 94 appearances for Timbers as against Bain who scored 45 goals in 148 games for Portland from 1978-82.

Adi was voted the man of the match. They face New England in their next game on the 2nd of April.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/60853-2/
45 goals in 94 matches is not a bad one. This guy is just so unlucky not to be called up to the national team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:38am On Mar 27, 2017
edi287:

I remember as a kid there was this white guy who wanted to play us (think he was from Bosnia or something). Don't know the link he had with Nigeria, but it was surprising...can't remember his name.
Anyways, I doubt we have foreigners in the league good enough to make squad.

They play week in week out so i am sure we have more than enough foreign players to make a great squad. We are talking Nana Bonsu(rangers), Guy Kuemean(rivers), Medrano(ifeanyiubah), Kojo Dodzie(Akwa United), Godbless Asamoah(Rivers) and many more. I am sure of at leasr 18 strong players especially since Ifeanyi Ubah has at least 8 of them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:39am On Mar 27, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
You are back ba?? angry

So na you be Oga Otezu5 ? abi na your clone? angry

The only man with a hi-five..... oya confess.... angry

I am the one. That was why I had asked you to ask Sir Icon4s. I had already made it clear that I was the one on several pages back at the beginning of the year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by neighy(m): 11:46am On Mar 27, 2017
Napoleon55:
Let's disbanded the whole team then. ...
All these Just for one friendly match.
lol seconded..

(1) (2) (3) ... (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) ... (16240) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Posh(m), gatecrash123, Hanibal(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.