Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,824 members, 7,851,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:22 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7358) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11876469 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7355) (7356) (7357) (7358) (7359) (7360) (7361) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 8:14pm On Oct 13, 2019
If only Iheanacho can start getting games again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:15pm On Oct 13, 2019
If only Baba T.... If only. He could be the right man to back Osimhen up. I can think of no one better at this point... But he is currently non-playing.

Hope to see Okereke and the rest improve.

tbaba12345:
If only Iheanacho can start getting games again.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by slegend(m): 8:16pm On Oct 13, 2019
Eartquake1:
#
If you had watched Naija made yesterday,you will know we don't have to worry about this. Imagine the CEO of the league management company saying the ball is in our court,if TV stations fail to pay for games we have no choice than to remain where we are.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
#BRANGA: Interesting Fact

William Troost Ekong is yet to lose a game as Super Eagles captain.

Vs Poland, Nigeria won 1-0

Vs Egypt, Nigeria won 1-0

Vs Ukraine, it was 2-2

Vs Brazil, it was 1-1.

#Omen #Leader

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
Odunayaw:
or after the sub they play as a flat three
Ndidi-Azeez-Aribo

Jesus Christ!

Have you seen anybody play a flat three midfield in football?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:24pm On Oct 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
If there are people here who didn't see the importance of Ndidi in this game, my take is that you think football is only about what you do with it.

Ndidi cut out many passing lanes and was a wall too tough to break through for the Brazilians. He acquitted himself brilliantly positionally and was the pivot on which our defensive balance and tactical discipline hung. His first half display was world class. Only keen analysts will spot the way he shielded the back four by always blocking off passing options for Brazil's advanced midfielders and tracking them with good pressings.

Yes, he did venture forward a few times and gave the ball away twice but his overall defensive discipline and ability to keep the passes simple was key to our transition as Aribo always took over from plays thereon.

Ndidi was one of our top players today. Not Top 3. But he certainly was a reason we shut out the Brazilians.

Truth is had the KOC been complete today... with Samuel Kalu on show.. I have no doubt in my mind that we would have witnessed an easy win for Nigeria. No hypes.

You have a point but I still think Iwobi's ineffectiveness today may have rendered them stoic. If we had a better AM, we would have won today
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 8:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
Isaac Success should be invited. He is strong and can also dribble.
I do also think both him and Etebo should return to Spain and Nacho to France.
We need both of them urgently in this current set up.
We have lost Musa Yahaya. We cannot allow Success and Nacho to waste.
For me Onachu does not fit our system. We need a very mobile forward like Success and Nacho!

Well played Super Eagles!
I was just imagining, what might have happened, having both Kalu and Etebo in this game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 8:42pm On Oct 13, 2019
andrewbaba44:

Moses Simon did better at gent than kalu

I have followed kalu from trencin days ,I have once met him before his move to gent

You tried to discredit Moses Simon who I said was the hazard of gent

You are so good in talking down of players you don’t like ,and you can’t even back up anything you say

The other day you said awaziem was naija most constitent player for the past few seasons ,I have to tell you that awaziem was match rusty for months before he joined rizespor ,and I had to remind you of how Ekong have been the man and you kept mute

You are a comedian bro

Judge football and be sincere and stop using your favoritism

Fake Enugu Marcelo

Nnaa, wetin Awaziem do you naa...lmao
The thing about Ekong is that I have always know him to be blunder prone same with Omeruo but Awaziem is that untested player that showed up and stole our heart with his old school styled right back. For me, Awaziem and Ekong are our most improved defender and maybe Omeruo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tarokboy: 8:43pm On Oct 13, 2019
Great performance by the boys.

Uwaziem
Uwaziem has reiterate my believe in him for a first team shirt after a splendid Nations cup performance where he was only dribbled pass just once.
As for me,he is currently our best defender,confident and intelligent.
He got good cover from Chukwueze who came back to assist.
Only minus with him is that he does not over lap to support attack but again who needed an overlap with the caliber of Brazilian attackers.How I wish he can be tried in the Central defensive role. 8/10

AJAYI.
Nigeria has discovered another solid defender who despite his height is nimble footed,intelligent and sharp.His arial prowess is superb.A good attribute about him is that he is not a "defend and kick" defender like ekong and Omeruo.He can ball.Hardly do you see him make those silly defensive miss of the ball Ekong and Omeruo are now synonymous with occasionally.He needs more playtime with the Eagles though.My dream 5 and 6 should be Uwaziem/Ajayi 7.5/10 for AJAYI

Chukwueze
The kid sensation.No doubt presently our best attacking player.Intelligent,fast,great stamina and control.Only minus is his finishing which needs fine tunning.You could hear the gasp of anticipation from the spectators whenever the ball gets to him.He was never afraid to "forge"ahead whenever he gets hold of the ball just like he plays for Villarreal.He made the Brazilian left wing back who was equally good look ordinary.He was also coming back to support defence.No doubt he covered the grounds most for Nigeria in the match.
Alas,we are going to get a first World class player in this boy(bookmark this)8.5/10

ARIBOR.
2 goals in 2 matches for this exciting left footed player for Nigeria.Did you guys see the leg work that heralded his goal?He is not afraid to put forth his leg to get the goals(same in Ukraine's match)He can score,one attribute we are missing in our midfielders lately.His performance was good in the first half and final 3rd.He deserves a starting position in the Eagles. 7.5/10

UZOHO.

Many atimes,I seat back and wonder why he was not our first choice in Nations cup.
Confident,great height,hardly beaten on arial goal bound targets.Has improved on saving low bound targets.only flaws are dead balls(corner kicks, penalties and free kick) positioning and timing.which unfortunately resulted to his injury today.
Wishing him quick recovery. 7/10

OSIMEMHIN
The next best thing after slice bread.He has been prolific upfront for club this season.strong,fast and passionate.Coincidentally,his form and limelight picked up with the exit of Odion Ighallo.In the 6 goals attempt on goals against Brazil today he had 3 and also contributed in our goal build up.As long as he remains passionate and hardworking,since the talent is there,he will definitely go places.8/10

Collins : 6/10
Ekong: 6.5/10
Ndidi: 6.5/10
Iwobi: 5. 5/10 (disappointing)
Simon Moses: 6/10
Azeez (no much playtime):5/10
Bonaventure(no much playtime):5/10
OnuchusadNMPT)4/10
Reserve gollie(NMPT):5/10
Coach:7/10

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 8:44pm On Oct 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
#BRANGA: Interesting Fact

William Troost Ekong is yet to lose a game as Super Eagles captain.

Vs Poland, Nigeria won 1-0

Vs Egypt, Nigeria won 1-0

Vs Ukraine, it was 2-2

Vs Brazil, it was 1-1.

#Omen #Leader

I like Ekong but I will keep looking out for those sloppy passes...lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:57pm On Oct 13, 2019
andrewbaba44:

I wish I can

At least you won’t be bias with your analysis like others

No worries. Make I dey until I see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:57pm On Oct 13, 2019
tbaba12345:
This is the first time, we are playing an elite team in a long time
This Brazilian side trashed everyone to win Copa America without Neymar. No draws, no losses.

We had the right balance in the first half but invited pressure by conceding early in the second.

Trashed everyone?
which copa are you talking about?
The one they played on their home soil right?

before today, they have gone 3-4 games without a win

Not really a strong brazil but we did well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 9:00pm On Oct 13, 2019
Eartquake1:
Guess who this is grin
Petr Cech
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 9:06pm On Oct 13, 2019
somehow:

Trashed everyone?
which copa are you talking about?
The one they played on their home soil right?

before today, they have gone 3-4 games without a win

Not really a strong brazil but we did well

What do you mean not a strong brazilian team?? Who is missing from the side that played Copa America?

Yes, they are off form but it is a strong team.

Copa America is not an easy tournament to win home or Away. Did Egypt win AFCON this year?

They were really good in winning the tournament even without Neymar.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:07pm On Oct 13, 2019
tbaba12345:

All from under 17/academies
We are not producing anything from the league.
Foreign academies?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chidi1: 9:11pm On Oct 13, 2019
My impression after this match may be simple but unpopular. We need 2 good alternatives to our current crop of players for the following positions:

1) We need another number 9 to compliment Osimhen. I would go with Isaac success ( for speed, strength and hold up play). Onuachu is just too static for the kind of young players we have now. Currently our attack is centered on speed and mobility.

2) I also believe Iwobi needs competition in number 10. Ihenacho can be converted to an attacking midfielder for us (imagine ihenacho and Osimhen combination). Eberechi Ezeh is another name being floated. Azeez was not bad today but would need to be evaluated more.

In my opinion, we have a good compliment of players for the other positions. With good management we could become world beaters

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:11pm On Oct 13, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Nnaa, wetin Awaziem do you naa...lmao
The thing about Ekong is that I have always know him to be blunder prone same with Omeruo but Awaziem is that untested player that showed up and stole our heart with his old school styled right back. For me, Awaziem and Ekong are our most improved defender and maybe Omeruo.

Am a sincere guy

Remember I was the one who prefer awaziem to shehu or any other options
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:15pm On Oct 13, 2019
tbaba12345:

What do you mean not a strong brazilian team?? Who is missing from the side that played Copa America?

Yes, they are off form but it is a strong team.

Copa America is not an easy tournament to win home or Away. Did Egypt win AFCON this year?

They were really good in winning the tournament even without Neymar.

I'm not discussing names here but performance

Brazil have not won any match for the past 4 games
They even lost to Peru last month

They are currently low on morale

On a good day, those clear cut chances would have been buried by them

They had 20 goal scoring chances but only scored one

they are low on morale

We did well but not against a solid Brazil (forget name). Morale means alot.

Check their recent games
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jubilantagida: 9:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
elyte89:

Ur number bro?...ur preferred network?

Wow!! Saw this late.

I'm about to Glo with pride.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 13, 2019
My man Zaha broke some ankles before setting up Pepe for a tap in

https://twitter.com/IlPhenomeno_/status/1183439646547763200?s=09

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 13, 2019
He broke another set of ankles before scoring the finishing goal

https://twitter.com/cpfcbailey/status/1183458860796915712?s=09

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 13, 2019
Arsenal took 72 million and bought Nathan Redmond grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:26pm On Oct 13, 2019
OMANBALA1:
Nigerians have very short memory...lol. Ndidi has underperformed since he started playing for the super eagles ,and , suddenly , he had a decent first half and all his failures turned success overnight. Very shocking! And , you want me to not speak my truth because your precious Ndidi plays for Leicester? Please, let's respect ourselves because we are grown here. Agu is million years ahead of carpenter Ndidi... Ndidi can play for your white masters for all I care but he is still a frigging carpenter. I blame the stupid NFF for running our local league aground if not I will hang anybody that utters a foreign club name....nonsense!

Why?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 9:26pm On Oct 13, 2019
somehow:

I'm not discussing names here but performance

Brazil have not won any match for the past 4 games
They even lost to Peru last month

They are currently low on morale

On a good day, those clear cut chances would have been buried by them

They had 20 goal scoring chances but only scored one

they are low on morale

We did well but not against a solid Brazil (forget name). Morale means alot.

Check their recent games

I am aware of their recent form but it is still strong team that will beat many sides easily. Make no mistake, it is still a strong side.

Speaking of form, Nigeria has also draw or lost its last few friendlies.

Brazil did not dominate throughout the game and that is credit to the boys. We managed them pretty well especially in the first half.

Many of those 20 shots were tame shots at the keeper or off target.

They had their chances and that is part of the game. We rode our luck sometimes but that is part of the game.

We did well to come out with a draw and we could possibly have nicked it at the end.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:30pm On Oct 13, 2019
chidi1:

Do you have any other number 9 that can play for Nigeria currently?

Olanrewaju Kayode. Gbam

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:30pm On Oct 13, 2019
jubilantagida:

Wow!! Saw this late.

I'm about to Glo with pride.

Thanks in anticipation.

Something sent thru text msg cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 9:32pm On Oct 13, 2019
forgiveness:

Why?

My observations. Ndidi is yet to impress me on GWG. Wetin again you wan hear. You want me to join the bandwagon and say what everybody is saying in spite of my own sincere observations ? This is not autocracy,uncle forgiveness.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:35pm On Oct 13, 2019
ChrisKels:

U were one of those people who called me a tribalist for clamoring for Kalu of Gent, just because I said he was a better winger than ur SiMoses. grin

There has never been a time Kalu was better than Simon in Gent. Even in Ligue 1, Simon Moses is still ahead of Kalu. Facts

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
It is a strong side going by name but by recent performance, they are not it. It showed in their performance during COPA, they couldn't beat some small names hands down. The final match was the only outstanding game all through COPA. (The stats are there).

More reason they have been playing friendlies for a while now just to work on their morale and performance but it's still not working.

Speaking of Nigeria, we're in ascension compared to Brazil bro!

Brazil had 68% possession against our 32%
Had 20 goal-scoring chances against our 10 but was found wanting converting all these chances to goals.

Yes, off-target but they created them! this is why I am saying they are very low on morale. They had no problem creating goal-scoring chances but just couldn't do anything with them. Some were due to bad luck. They would have won with like 4:1 scoreline today if not for the woodwork, on the line clearance and last-ditch blocks from our defenders. (You can go on youtube to catch the detail highlights sir).

I am not disputing the fact that we did well, I am just saying they are not really a strong side like some believe except for the names! Spain, Netherland or Belgium will surely destroy this Brazilian squad! Even Germany!

In fact, Croatia will finish them or even Russia with their current form.

tbaba12345:

I am aware of their recent form but it is still strong team that will beat many sides easily. Make no mistake, it is still a strong side.

Speaking of form, Nigeria has also draw or lost its last few friendlies.

Brazil did not dominate throughout the game and that is credit to the boys. We managed them pretty well especially in the first half.

Many of those 20 shots were tame shots at the keeper or off target.

They had their chances and that is part of the game. We rode our luck sometimes but that is part of the game.

We did well to come out with a draw and we could possibly have nicked it at the end.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
OMANBALA1:

My observations. Ndidi is yet to impress me on GWG. Wetin again you wan hear. You want me to join the bandwagon and say what everybody is saying in spite of my own sincere observations ? This is not autocracy,uncle forgiveness.

Well, your opinion and you are entitled to it. Facts still remains that Ndidi is among the best DMF in EPL. Can that be said of Agu in Portuguese Liga?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
in Badji , Senegal have got themselves their own 'OSIMHEN'

BTW. .Ghana should sort out their jersey before trying to compete with naija. jersey shorts be looking like diapers
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 9:47pm On Oct 13, 2019
Uzoho is a very good goalkeeper. He's got real potential! Unfortunately black goalkeepers are generally underrated. The guy needs a top class structure like a top club side to bring out the very best in him.

Every other person did their best.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7355) (7356) (7357) (7358) (7359) (7360) (7361) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), Promise47(m), cromz(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.