Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,779 members, 7,851,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:08 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11874966 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7359) (7360) (7361) (7362) (7363) (7364) (7365) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:48am On Oct 14, 2019
Olulong:

So you expected us to match them toe to toe abi??

Pls remember we played Brazil and not Somalia

With the right selection and offensive strategy, I have no doubt we would have caused Brazil problems. A flash back goes to the first half against Ukraine and the second. On the offensive, we caused them loads of problems and in the second half, we looked ordinary with negative play.

In this game against Brazil, we set up and played in a negative fashion all through the game. That is why Brazil looked like Eagle killers all game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 7:49am On Oct 14, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Which shell am I coming out of? We were poor in that game. It is not about me or you or what we like. It is a fact. We need to improve on our strategy and tactics. An overhaul of our philosophy because the conservative system does not favour us and makes us look mediocre.

I still believe we can cause lots of top teams problems if we adopt a more offensive strategy and build on it. Reduce the comfort of our opposition with the ball and attack spaces with pace when we win the ball.

You expect us not to be conservative against a Brazilian side with one of the best players in the world, so that they can hit us like 5 goals and you guys will come and gloat about Rohr being clueless.

Bravo grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 7:50am On Oct 14, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

With the right selection and offensive strategy, I have no doubt we would have caused Brazil problems. A flash back goes to the first half against Ukraine and the second. On the offensive, we caused them loads of problems and in the second half, we looked ordinary with negative play.

In this game against Brazil, we set up and played in a negative fashion all through the game. That is why Brazil looked like Eagle killers all game.

So Ukraine and Brazil are now mates.

Wonderful grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:52am On Oct 14, 2019
timay:

You expect us not to be conservative against a Brazilian side with one of the best players in the world, so that they can hit us like 5 goals and you guys will come and gloat about Rohr being clueless.

Bravo grin

Playing with intensity does not mean playing with out securing your back.

It takes selecting players to attack the opposition when they have the ball with pace and intensity. While, keeping a decent and tidy rigid set up at the back to reduce spaces for the opposition to take advantage.

No one says we should go in all guns blazing but have a strategy to reduce our opposition's time on the ball.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:54am On Oct 14, 2019
timay:

So Ukraine and Brazil are now mates.

Wonderful grin

No one said that. I was analysing how poor we are when we are conservative and how lethal we are when we are on the offensive.

The friendly game against Argentina was another good case study for how good we can be when we are set up to cause the opposition problems by not having time on the ball.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:56am On Oct 14, 2019
elyte89:

Yet if d guy is not invited, na everybody go dey shout for rohr head,

Aw can he drop a real Madrid destroyer and so on, yet he played nothing when brut in for simon

And otabor didn't get to play sef grin

Which everybody? I never liked the idea of Dennis, he has poor decision making and he dribbles aimlessly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 7:57am On Oct 14, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Playing with intensity does not mean playing with out securing your back.

It takes selecting players to attack the opposition when they have the ball with pace and intensity. While, keeping a decent and tidy rigid set up at the back to reduce spaces for the opposition to take advantage.

No one says we should go in all guns blazing but[b][/b] have a strategy to reduce our opposition's time on the ball.[b][/b]

I'm quite sure we were trying to press hard in our half, can't try pressing high up against Brazil. Who be you ?

Man for man they are much better than us, we need to accept this. When we do we can fairly evaluate the effort of our team.

If anyone thinks we can match the top teams player for player well all I can say is I admire your patriotism and leave it there.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 14, 2019
ChrisKels:

Which everybody? I never liked the idea of Dennis, he has poor decision making and he dribbles aimlessly
The Simon I know isn't better...

Very one dimensional kick and run type of winger... undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:00am On Oct 14, 2019
Onuachu won no aerial ball yesterday. You obviously didn't watch the match.
komekn:
Onuachu had a decent game to me, he has been slated left, right and center.

From my perspective it seems he came on to bring stability and create an outlet. The midfield later in the game was getting over run.

Onuachu became the outlet long balls sent to him, taking pressure off the midfield and allowing him to hold up play. l didn't see him going forward but sitting deep mostly to be an outlet.

In that restrictive role l thought he did satisfactory.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:08am On Oct 14, 2019
slegend:

They have all shifted their attentions from otabor,now dennis,iwobi,onuachu...is their new worries.Naija people.

Not so.

You see, Dennis played the way I expected him to. I didn't expect much from him really.

Otabor was a waste of player space. Why call up a non-performimg player and sit him on the bench? I expected at least 10 mins of game time to be given to Otabor so that we can see what he can do, at least to confirm or refute our opi ions of him.

Aribo tried. I expect that if he keeps this up, he will move to a better league by the end of the season.

Had Iwobi played to expectation, we would have seen more from our attackers.

Our defense put in a good shift. Yet I don't want us celebrating too early. I want us to get better so hat we can match these top teams in any competition; friendly or not
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:10am On Oct 14, 2019
ChrisKels:

What has Badji done professionally to get such recognition?

I wanted to ask same question. Perhaps I would go to transfermarkt and see for myself
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 14, 2019
Olulong:

Add shehu to that in case he has forgotten

For Awaziem to start ahead of a fit Shehu, that shows that he's no longer valued
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:13am On Oct 14, 2019
elyte89:

Yet if d guy is not invited, na everybody go dey shout for rohr head,

Aw can he drop a real Madrid destroyer and so on, yet he played nothing when brut in for simon

And otabor didn't get to play sef grin

Bros, you talk true jare.

When he scored those two goals against Madrid, I remember stating that a better GK and defence would've shut him out. He stumbled to both and I wondered why. Icon4s disagreed and said the goals matter more than how they were scored.

Anyways, this doesn't mean he has nothing to offer UA going forward. I just hope he learns and grows in the team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 14, 2019
We need to find a competition for Jamilu Collins, he was so disappointing yesterday

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:16am On Oct 14, 2019
Eartquake1:

I don't think Samuel Kalu is improving

He's the same Samuel Kalu from his early Bordeaux days, good dribbling but poor end product

I think one of Ejuke, Lookman or Sheyi Ojo would replace him in the upcoming months

Sheyi Ojo isn't even good enough for the U-23s.

I'll only pick Ejuke and not any of the others
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:17am On Oct 14, 2019
Eartquake1:
We need to find a competition for Jamilu Collins, he was so disappointing yesterday

He was also disappointing in the AFCON game he played. No be today.

We need competition in his position ASAP

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 14, 2019
darkelf:

He was also disappointing in the AFCON game he played. No be today.

We need competition in his position ASAP

He lacks pace which is poor for a left back

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by korlahwarleh: 8:31am On Oct 14, 2019
Why is it that it's after the match we always hear that our opponents did not play with full strength or potentials?

Please, for the next friendlies please tell us the seriousness level of the opponents before the match.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:43am On Oct 14, 2019
Anyone here saying Brazil didn't play to their best is talking absolute bollocks and need brain surgery. Seems their optic nerve is in very bad shape.

Ignore them. They are super liars and deeply hypocritical.

korlahwarleh:
Why is it that it's after the match we always hear that our opponents did not play with full strength or potentials?

Please, for the next friendlies please tell us the seriousness level of the opponents before the match.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:46am On Oct 14, 2019
Humility017:

I think you didn't watch the match...
please do so on YouTube....

you're good with words but your analysis of the game I nor understand at all....

For the last few minutes that he came on he did the job he was called too, IMO.

Take the pressure of the midfield, create an outlet for the long ball and hold up play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:46am On Oct 14, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Anyone here saying Brazil didn't play to their best is talking absolute bollocks and need brain surgery. Seems their optic nerve is in very bad shape.

No mind them jare

Brazil played to their best and wanted to win that game by all means

The both teams where very serious
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:47am On Oct 14, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

It's funny. They flew 23+ players most of whom are highly coveted by their club sides thousands of miles across mountains and seas ....only for them to not be serious abi. Especially considering they haven't won't any of their last 3 games.

Maybe they went to Singapore to sell popcorn. Na so.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:47am On Oct 14, 2019
Eartquake1:

What competition do you need for Collins apart from Aina ?

There is no better one than Aina
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jubilantagida: 8:50am On Oct 14, 2019
I predicted the score for yesterday's game and I got a reward from elyte89. Big ups to you bro.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:50am On Oct 14, 2019
Eartquake1:

He's the same Samuel Kalu from his early Bordeaux days, good dribbling but poor end product

I think one of Ejuke, Lookman or Sheyi Ojo would replace him in the upcoming months

Player wey dem never call ?

Lookman should start starting games at Leipzig

Samuel kalu is better than all this players you mentioned
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:51am On Oct 14, 2019
Eartquake1:

Kalu is not only one of our best in one on one duels he is also one of our best crossers of the ball.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 8:52am On Oct 14, 2019
korlahwarleh:

Those ones are the real enemy of state that we have in this thread. they don't see anything good in this super eagles

I wish we won this game it would have cover for those lapses gave out by the home eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:56am On Oct 14, 2019
komekn:

For the last few minutes that he came on he did the job he was called too, IMO.

Take the pressure of the midfield, create an outlet for the long ball and hold up play.

Shut up already! Onuachu lost more balls than anyone even with the few minutes he played. Lad couldn't run... Lad couldn't even win an aerial ball. Osimhen won much more when up against Silva and Marquinhos. Osimhen troubled and had the highest shots on target on the Nigerian side. He also played a big hand in and provided the second assist (assist before the assist) for the goal. Plus Osimhen held up plays brilliantly on a good number of occasions.

Onuachu an outlet?? He was bloody poor Biko! No balance and he even killed a counter when he tried to score from the middle of the pitch against Ederson. Such a poor decision to make. Look, Mr Man... You sound like one who saw the other game between Argentina and Ecuador and mistook it for Brazil Vs Nigeria. Just keep quiet because you dey talk off tangent. Merci.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:02am On Oct 14, 2019
Happy Birthday to Ahmed Musa.... Nigeria's World Cup legend.... Destroyer of the Northern "Sons" of Iceland... grin Super Speedster and Captain of the Super Eagles.

We will never forget how you made Halldorsson, the door of the North lie down in green pastures. Enjoy your day Skippo. wink

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 9:02am On Oct 14, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

We caused Brazil problems sometimes when we were on the counter. Generally, we were poor. We could not keep the ball, could not fight for it with intensity and relied a lot on individual performance to cause problems. We lacked team cohesion in our display too.

Tactically as a unit, we really had nothing to offer. I am not flattered by the result when we parked the bus. When it comes to team performance, we were non existent.
How can this be comming from you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 14, 2019
andrewbaba44:

What competition do you need for Collins apart from Aina ?

There is no better one than Aina

Rohr prefers left footed players in left back positions
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 14, 2019
wayodude:

Kalu is not only one of our best in one on one duels he is also one of our best crossers of the ball.

He's good on one on one but he's a poor crosser and he hardly looks to cross

(1) (2) (3) ... (7359) (7360) (7361) (7362) (7363) (7364) (7365) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1315MUSIK and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.