Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,225 members, 7,849,804 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:59 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7489) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11860986 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7486) (7487) (7488) (7489) (7490) (7491) (7492) ... (16249) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chucs: 1:07pm On Oct 30, 2019
safarigirl:

Academicians are academicians, what do you mean by 1000 local academicians? The igbos tout themselves as the enterpreneurial ethnic group in Nigeria, but we know who is on Forbes list and who is a 'local businessman', does that take anything away from their industriousness?

You can dispute the academicians part, but you're fine with the rest. Hail yourself sir
Hehehehehe! I guess u don't know that there are people who doesn't appear on Forbes but are worth more than some who are on the list.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:10pm On Oct 30, 2019
you are right, yekini was the first nigerian to win CAF APOY award in 93 while pele won france football awards which is similar to bbc APOY award
tglobal:

Oga , Yekini won the inaugural CAF African Footballer of the Year in 1993. What Abedi Pele won was the France Football awards. If you don;'t recognize the CAF awards, how come you stated earler that Amunike was once an APOTY winnder. At least be consistent
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 1:13pm On Oct 30, 2019
Kalapizim:
How many footballers have you seen from the North

My brother ask them oh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:16pm On Oct 30, 2019
Lol pple wey u knw say truth dey heavy for their mouth
Curtisaxel7:

My brother ask them oh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:22pm On Oct 30, 2019
chucs:
Hehehehehe! I guess u don't know that there are people who doesn't appear on Forbes but are worth more than some who are on the list.

Forbes deals with verifiable and traceable funds, not funds that may or may not be illegally acquired.

The same way there are those who may have high intellectual capabilities, but you call them local because they did not get the international recognition that your Chinua Achebe and co got.

You see? Your businessmen are local and cannot be compared to Dangote or Adenuga.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 30, 2019
Humility017:

Dude should remain at Leicester please arsenal has become an average team and moreover they are not doing better than Leicester at the moment
Average team indeed... Let Arsenal approach him today, he will jump at the offer...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 1:26pm On Oct 30, 2019
chidi1:

I would be careful the way you word that statement with regards to the Americans. Opportunity, talent and a "genuinely" well run honest system based on merit almost always creates immeasurable heights in any endeavour. You may be right that football (or soccer as it is called here), as a culture, is not popular in the United States. However, never assume that the United States does not have the talent as seen in Argentina or Brazil. Stereotypically, soccer is generally viewed as a "white man" sport played by those in affluent neighborhoods ("soccer mom" comes to mind) or by immigrants. This perception is not common with the women for obvious reasons.There are no professional female"American" football or baseball leagues in the United States. Their women dominate basketball and soccer in the world because those sports have professional leagues in the United States. Hence, their girls aspire to become like thier superstar mentors seen in those leagues. On the other hand, a typical "everyday American" boy would rather aspire to become a superstar American footballer, basketballer or baseballer. To them, especially at such a young age, they ascribe success to the prestige and financial remuneration that comes with playing in thier most prevalent sport, and understandably so. I sincerely believe that any time, "Soccer" becomes the predominant sport in the United States, and is seen by their male youths (especially those from economically disadvantaged background) as a means out of poverty, you would see another world dominance, as seen in the other sports.
It's thesame thing we are saying sir. Now ask your self where the culture is more pronouced in Nigeria. Who plays football the most?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:27pm On Oct 30, 2019
Dreamswayne:

Average team indeed... Let Arsenal approach him today, he will jump at the offer...
I hope he isn't quick to jump at the offer

Leicester is currently in a better position for UCL football next season than Arsenal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chucs: 1:30pm On Oct 30, 2019
safarigirl:

Forbes deals with verifiable and traceable funds, not funds that may or may not be illegally acquired.

The same way there are those who may have high intellectual capabilities, but you call them local because they did not get the international recognition that your Chinua Achebe and co got.

You see? Your businessmen are local and cannot be compared to Dangote or Adenuga.
I hope that those who are on the list as a result of our national cake(oil money) are not part of those with verifiable wealth?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 1:33pm On Oct 30, 2019
Afobear:
Mugus fighting for Averaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggeeeeeeeeeeeeeee players again . Tribal warlords
This is really funny grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:33pm On Oct 30, 2019
charlesemeka85:
i saw the game and he played very well. you don hear iheanacho u jump come out lolz

Nobody has JUMPED UP but you and quite a few others that proposition makes many of you hypocritical with double standard.

There are hundred of Nigerian players across Europe when the score a goal literally nothing us heard. That's double standard.

The minute KC scores there is FIREWORK DISPLAY and euphoric celebrations here . This is guy that has scored how many in three seasons.

So my comment is tongue in cheek to highlight that blatant favoritism and preference. Bit it's not based on performance.

If any Nigerian player scores a goal in league one there will be no mention here. And if you do, the league will be castigated and denigrated as being too poor

Meanwhile Joe Aribo has come essentially from the league one so many have dismissed here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:35pm On Oct 30, 2019
komekn:

Nobody has JUMPED UP that proposition makes you a hypocritical with double standard.

There are hundred of Nigerian players across Europe when the score a goal literally nothing us heard.

The minute KC scores there is FIREWORK DISPLAY and euphoric celebrations here . This is guy that has scored how many in three seasons.

So my comment is tongue in cheek yo highlight that blatant favoritism and preference. Bit it's not based on performance.

If any Nigerian player scores a goal in league one there will be no mention here. And if you do, the league will be castigated and denigrated as being too poor

Meanwhile Joe Aribo has come essentially from the league one so many have dismissed here.

So because aribo came from league 1 we should rate it abi?

Ogbeni the english league 1 is a nonsense league

Simple

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:35pm On Oct 30, 2019
shocked bros no vex oooo, hope all is well with you today?
komekn:

Nobody has JUMPED UP that proposition makes you a hypocritical with double standard.

There are hundred of Nigerian players across Europe when the score a goal literally nothing us heard.

So my comment is tongue in cheek yo highlight that blatant favoritism and preference. Bit it's not based on performance.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:35pm On Oct 30, 2019
Alex Iwobi was among three Everton players singled out for praise by manager Marco Silva following the Toffees 2-0 win against Watford in the League Cup on Tuesday night.

The Nigeria international had struggled in the first half but improved in the second half with the introduction of former Arsenal teammate Theo Walcott.

Sixty-six minutes into the contest, Iwobi was unlucky not to break the deadlock when his shot from the edge of the area cannoned off the woodwork and away with Gomes stranded.

Speaking post-match to Everton's official website, Silva stated : ''Theo had a big impact again, the change we made [Walcott for Kean] had a big impact on our second half.

''Theo was always a really important player for me, he knows that. He is in a good moment and will help us in the next games as well.

''The way we built our attacks [after half-time] was faster and the gaps were clearer. We found the spaces more easily''.

The Portuguese gaffer added : ''Alex Iwobi was different in the second half, he found the spaces and created more between the lines and was more decisive.

“Richarlison did not do enough in the first half but the second half was completely different''.

Yesterday's Carabao Cup fourth-round tie at Goodison Park was Iwobi's 11th appearance of the season in all competitions.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:36pm On Oct 30, 2019

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:36pm On Oct 30, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Adebayo is a Togolese and Yekini NEVER won the African Footballer of the Year....lmao....YEKINI NEVER WON AFOY!!

Adebayor is a confirmed Nigerian from Osun State. Because of people like you, he was forced to play for Togo when he was denied the opportunity to play for Nigeria.

Yes Yekini never won Omanbala Republic award of the year. Clown.

If only you sabi read. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:37pm On Oct 30, 2019
safarigirl:
I hope he isn't quick to jump at the offer

Leicester is currently in a better position for UCL football next season than Arsenal.
Early season boost...

By the end of the season when the other big teams pick form, Leicester would be languishing in 6th or 7th
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 1:39pm On Oct 30, 2019
Trash as usual
komekn:

Nobody has JUMPED UP but you and quite a few others that proposition makes many of you hypocritical with double standard.

There are hundred of Nigerian players across Europe when the score a goal literally nothing us heard. That's double standard.

So my comment is tongue in cheek to highlight that blatant favoritism and preference. Bit it's not based on performance.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:41pm On Oct 30, 2019
chucs:
I hope that those who are on the list as a result of our national cake(oil money) are not part of those with verifiable wealth?

Which oil are Dangote and Adenuga drilling?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:42pm On Oct 30, 2019
you well at all? which country did he represent in international football? cheesy
forgiveness:

Adebayor is a confirmed Nigerian from Osun State. Because of people like you, he was forced to play for Togo when he was denied the opportunity to play for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:42pm On Oct 30, 2019
forgiveness:

LOL

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:44pm On Oct 30, 2019
the guy reasoning too dey go left left i swear cheesy
safarigirl:
LOL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:46pm On Oct 30, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Uche okechukwu
Kanu nwankwo
JJ okocha
Sunday oliseh
Wilson oruma
Mikel obi
Alex iwobi
Troost ekong
Julius aghahowa
Stephen keshi
Kechi iheanacho
Victor oshimeh
Samuel Chukwueze
Kalu uche
Ikechukwu uche
Joseph yobo
Victor moses
Yakubu aiyegbeni
Finidi george
James obiora
Celestine babyaro
Victor ikpeba
Chidi nwanu
Ben iroha
Emmanuel emenike
Victor anichebe
Chinedu obasi
Onyekachi apam
Onyekachi okonkwo
Emma amuneke
Karibe ojigwe
Taribo west
Christian obodo
Henry onyekuru
Vincent enyeama
John utaka
Osaze odemwingie
Joel obi
Tyrone ebuehi
Francis uzoho
Kenneth omeruo
Chidozie awaziem
Isaac success
Chidera ejike
Jonathan akpoborie
Victor agali
Samuel kalu
Obinna nsofor
Wilfred ndidi

And lots more

So, this are the best talents? I even dey see bench warmers and unproven players there. Mtcheeeeeeeew
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:53pm On Oct 30, 2019
forgiveness open your eyes to facts and stop been delusional. can you name any player that your west produced that were more successful in europe as the great kanu and john obi mikel?

mention any CB from your region that can lace the boots of dreaded and tested CB as taribo west

name any dm in your region that was half as good as oliseh let alone upcoming ndidi?

name any that can displace the great magician jj okocha?

the 2 most capped players in the history of nigerian football are from what region?

the only true talent that emerged from the west in the last 2 decades is obafemi martins whom i have so much regard and respect for till date and nick named him the bomber during his inter days. open your mind to the truth and stop ridiculing yourself here as usual
forgiveness:

So, this are the best talents? I even dey see bench warmers and unproven players there. Mtcheeeeeeeew

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:57pm On Oct 30, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Ur comment shows u re a foetus in Nigerian sports lol

Which best talents comes from SE/SS in sports?

Tell us what they have won in Football, basketball, Table Tennis, Athletics, wrestling, martial art, boxing, weightlifting, para - sports, Chess, etc that buttress your point that they are better in sports.

You will be very disappointed that those two regions will be found wanton in sports compared to others.

Those less talented regions are currently the champions in most of those sports listed above. Abi you know know.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:59pm On Oct 30, 2019
Icon4s:

Oga, let's stop all these tribal accusations.

I don't think you guys know the weight of responsibility on these coaches. Why would they want to chose their tribes men as players at the expense of their jobs? Think about that.

Even though some of us expect a kind of balance in the ethnic composition of our national teams, sometimes they are balanced and at other times they are not.

Yes, a coach might chose a couple of players based on certain sentiments which could be ethnic, religious, political, economic etc. But be rest assured that the majority of players especially the key men in the team will be selected based on merit.

For those accusing Manu of ethnic or religious biase look at his 2013 team. Is it not the team that produced likes of Iheanacho, Nwakali, Mathew, Ndidi, Ezeh, Nwobodo, Obasi, Uzoho, Okon, Just from off my head.

How can we come in 2019 and accuse same man of ethnic or regional biase?

And even for those accusing Amuneke of same in 2015, things like this happen where most of the best players that emerge will just spring up from a certain region which was the case in 2015 and now in 2019.

Do you know there was no Yoruba player in Fani Amun's 1993 Golden Eaglets team?

Do you also know there were not more than one or two Igbos in Yemi Tela's 2007 Golden Eaglets?

But sometimes too, we have a mix of ethnicities like the John Obu's era of U17 and U20s.

Things like these happen. It switches sides and then balances again. But the most important thing is that they are all representing Nigeria and we have to support every of our teams irrespective of the ethnic composition.

Na entitlement mentality dy worry some people..

How can somebody advocate for open screening in the selection of players for the team and still cry foul when the team is ethically mixed ?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:03pm On Oct 30, 2019
DrKlever:
Yes that's true. I never said the corruption is tribal but i only retaliated that if there was no corruption in the selection process it is impossible to see the list dominated by Yoruba and Hausa names considering the rich football culture of the SE and SS. That doesn't mean there are no good footballers from the west or north.

Which football culture is only in the SE and SS? Where dem discover Amunike? Na for East?

Go out of your region and see how passionate other regions takes football.

The only difference is, they din't take it as a career then but thinks are changing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:07pm On Oct 30, 2019
Dreamswayne:

Early season boost...

By the end of the season when the other big teams pick form, Leicester would be languishing in 6th or 7th

I hope man united is not among those teams you call big?

Because all the big teams are already on top apart from tottenham so i am wondering who are the big teams again

No dey give your self hope
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:08pm On Oct 30, 2019
DrKlever:
That's quite shocking sir. Corruption has been our bane in this country. The selection is obviously flawed. That doesn't mean Hausa and Yoruba can't play football, they can but not to the extent of having a list 90% dominated by then. Lai lai e no fit pure!

I agree corruption was at play in the selection of players but I vehemently disagree that best talents only comes from those two regions. That's a fat lie.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:10pm On Oct 30, 2019
i can only talk about football and athletics because these re sports which i can boast that the south east and south south have the talents in abundance.

the way nigeria have been set from the beginning made alot of your kind feel that only the best in sports emerge from the slums of lagos and environs but i bet that you will be marveled when you visit places like benin,warri,asaba,aba,umuahia,owerri,calabar,akwa ibom,onitsha,enugu to discover that they are footballing talents wasting in this places and yearning for support.

open your eyes and stop been delusional

forgiveness:

Which best talents comes from SE/SS in sports?

Tell us what they have won in Football, basketball, Table Tennis, Athletics, wrestling, martial art, boxing, weightlifting, para - sports, Chess, etc that buttress your point that they better in sports.

You will be very disappointed that that those regions will be found wanton in sports compared to others.

Those less talented regions are current champions in most of those sports listed above. Abi you know know.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:10pm On Oct 30, 2019
DrKlever:
If you were not born today sir, do yourself a favour and use google search if you dont know. I hope I'm not engaging a primary school pupil here

Google says otherwise, Mr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:13pm On Oct 30, 2019
so because man utd sit 8 in the table makes the likes of leicester and co bigger teams than the Manchester side? when you start to watch ball?

spurs have been faring better than arsenal for the past few years now but that doesnt make them bigger than arsenal.

napoli have been title contenders in serie A for over 5 seasons now but that doesnt make then half of what Ac milan is and have achieved in european club football history.
andrewbaba44:

I hope man united is not among those teams you call big?

Because all the big teams are already on top apart from tottenham so i am wondering who are the big teams again

No dey give your self hope

(1) (2) (3) ... (7486) (7487) (7488) (7489) (7490) (7491) (7492) ... (16249) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, CaptainStephen(m), Eawwal(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.