Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,956 members, 7,863,399 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 05:06 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7838) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11946571 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7835) (7836) (7837) (7838) (7839) (7840) (7841) ... (16359) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:17pm On Dec 01, 2019
charlesemeka85:
are you expecting me hype and make noise of a player i haven't watched play before?

Until u see a player play, never say nothing about him. Don't rate him at all, by that I mean don't hype him and don't down play his exploits.

U claimed u haven't seen Dessers play then what right av u to berate him the way u doing now? U can only rate(high or low) a player after assessing him. Until u do dat, nwoke m keep kwayeeti!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:21pm On Dec 01, 2019
NBC Sports. hahaha Ivorian

Man of the Match: Wilfred Ndidi was everywhere, even shuttling the ball to Iheanacho in the run-up to Vardy’s equalizer. He passed well, and won balls left, right, and center. With apologies to Richarlison, the honor goes to the Ivorian.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 01, 2019
komekn:

3 seasons in the EPL 50+ games and 5 goal.
Wow !!! How market for top Beast striker.

5??

I think you wrong Sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:22pm On Dec 01, 2019
charlesemeka85:
what about solanke? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

LINUS

Kikikikiki wicked somebody grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:22pm On Dec 01, 2019
ALL I SAID IS THAT I SEE NOTHING SPECIAL IN HIS GAME WHICH I HAD A GLIMPSE OF HIS BEST MOMENTS IN YOUTUBE. IF YOU CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT THEN GO SLEEP
ChrisKels:

Until u see a player play, never say nothing about him. Don't rate him at all, by that I mean don't hype him and don't down play his exploits.

U claimed u haven't seen Dessers play then what right av u to berate him the way u doing now? U can only rate(high or low) a player after assessing him. Until u do dat, nwoke m keep kwayeeti!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:23pm On Dec 01, 2019
In my opinion, the player who should be second to Osimhen at the moment is Dessers. It is an easy choice. Much better than Onuachu and offers a lot of similar strengths to Osimhen.

If Iheanacho starts to get more minutes, he is back in the picture.

I agree with Chriskels, Osimhen, Dessers and Iheanacho

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 9:23pm On Dec 01, 2019
fabyom:
Onachu! Ona what? If I hear!
Nacho is baccckkk!
Looks slimmer, faster, skillful and more ambitious!
Thank you Rohr, Oshimen Kolo Toure and Rodgers!
I could see it was Kolo Toure that asked Rodgers to put him on.

My thought exactly while watching the match and kolo reaction

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:26pm On Dec 01, 2019
charlesemeka85:
ALL I SAID IS THAT I SEE NOTHING SPECIAL IN HIS GAME WHICH I HAD A GLIMPSE OF HIS BEST MOMENTS IN YOUTUBE. IF YOU CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT THEN GO SLEEP

Basing ur judgement on mere GLIMPSE? Wow u would make a great scout oo grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:26pm On Dec 01, 2019
charlesemeka85:
nacho is a lovely,patient and humble soul

And Iheanacho has a very good attitude. His behaviour is baffling. Even when he is not playing, whether on the bench, stands or at home, he celebrates with all his heart and wishes the team well.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:27pm On Dec 01, 2019
Leicester’s Kelechi Iheanacho turns the screw on Everton’s Marco Silva
Paul Doyle at the King Power Stadium
Sun 1 Dec 2019 13.42 EST
Last modified on Sun 1 Dec 2019 15.20 EST

Kelechi Iheanacho is mobbed by teammates after scoring Leicester’s injury-time winner against Everton. Photograph: Adrian Dennis/AFP via Getty Images

They think it’s all over – but it’s not yet. Leicester struck a stoppage-time winning goal to keep the Premier League title race alive, Kelechi Iheanacho’s goal keeping Brendan Rodgers’ side within striking distance of Liverpool. Yes, eight points is within striking distance for this impressive Leicester side.

As for Marco Silva’s reign at Everton, maybe that will be over soon. But if the Portuguese is sacked soon, it will not be because of this performance: Everton played well, forcing Leicester to show all of their impressive resourcefulness to dig out a win.

This was a sixth league victory in a row for Leicester, their best run since the 1962-63 season. They finished fourth back then and are a good bet to do much better this term; the champions back then, by the way, were Everton. A repeat of that is not on the cards any time soon, even if they did play well here, even taking the lead through Richarlison before Jamie Vardy and Iheanacho hit back for a side that never stop believing.

In less than 10 months in the job Brendan Rodgers has made Leicester such a slick machine that they seem to function almost on automatic. That is why it was an obvious decision for the manager to redeploy the same lineup for the sixth game in a row here and had every reason to be confident of another win.

Everton arrived as the flabby embodiment of the opposite of Leicester, an infuriatingly erratic team riven by inefficiency and uncertainty. Given the respective form of the sides going into this game, it seemed like an away win would require something close to miraculous. One could have been forgiven for thinking that Silva’s strategy, with a new three-man central defence, smacked of a Hail Mary. But in fairness to the beleaguered manager, it turned out to have been immaculately conceived.

Leicester struggled to find openings in the visitors’ defence. Everton’s players certainly did not lie down to sacrifice their manager. They played with dynamism and discipline. And they carried a serious threat on the counterattack. They showed that as early as the third minute, when Dominic Calvert-Lewin ran beyond the home defence and clipped the ball from the left wing to Richarlison, who would have had a clear shot from 16 yards if his control had not betrayed him.

Five minutes later Silva could take satisfaction from seeing his wing-backs combine in attack, with Lucas Digne crossing from the left for Djibril Sidibé, whose shot on the run from the edge of the box whizzed just over the bar.

Leicester have not been accustomed to being blunted and outgunned this season. They started to pass and move faster in an effort to unhinge Everton. Ayoze Pérez registered their first shot on target in the 10th minute but it was a weak effort. Pérez did better moments later, skedaddling between Michael Keane and Yerry Mina before squirting a shot just past the far post from 10 yards.

Richarlison heads beyond Kasper Schmeichel to give Everton the half-time lead. Photograph: Adrian Dennis/AFP via Getty Images
For the most part, though, Everton absorbed the home team’s pressure well and, with the extra player in central defence, they continually blocked passes and shots at critical moments. Then they took the lead with a fine attack.

It began with a throw-in in their own half. Richarlison received it on the left, flipping the ball off to a teammate and scampering forward. When Alex Iwobi slided it out to Sidibé on the other flank, the Frenchman delivered a splendid cross and Richarlison darted in front of Ricardo Pereira and angled his body to direct a terrific header beyond Kasper Schmeichel from 10 yards.

In the following minutes Mina made two excellent blocks to prevent an equaliser, denying first Pérez and then Jonny Evans. But Leicester kept coming and in the 33rd minute they thought they had won the perfect opportunity to draw level when the referee pointed to the spot after Ben Chilwell went down following a wild swing by Mason Holgate. The defender missed the ball by some distance and forced Chilwell to take evasive action – but apparently that did not justify a penalty according to the VAR official, who advised the referee to overturn the original decision.

By half-time the onus was on Rodgers to inspire his players to find a way of counteracting Silva’s plan.

But Everton were the first to threaten after the resumption, Keane going close from a corner by Gylfii Sigurdsson in the 50th minute.

That drew a sharp retort from Leicester, Wilfred Ndidi winning the ball in midfield before offloading to Pereira, who charged forward before drilling a low shot goalward. Pickford did well to tip it wide.

Rodgers adjusted his team’s approach just after the hour, replacing Pérez with Iheanacho, who was instructed to play closer to Vardy. Within six minutes the changed paid off, as Iheanacho collected a pass from the excellent Ndidi and crossed low for Vardy to tap in from close range.

That was the sixth league game in a row in which Vardy has scored, his best run since he netted in a record 11 successive Premier League games in 2015. But with half an hour left, could Leicester go on to claim their six straight win?

Everton were certainly going to have to batten down the hatches. Pickford made another good save in the 73rd minute to deny James Maddison. Two minutes later Vardy headed over from seven yards after a dainty cross by Youri Tielemans.

With Leicester pressing for the win, Silva made and one of the new arrivals, Moise Kean, came close to scoring on the counterattack, his chipped shot from 20 yards narrowly missing the target. Most of the action was at the other end, however, with Leicester attacking in waves. Their relentless was rewarded in stoppage time, when Pereira fed Iheanacho, who finished smartly.

The goal was originally disallowed for offside but this time VAR intervened in Leicester’ favour, ruling that Iheanacho was onside thanks to the position of Mina’s knee. Sometimes a match, a title race and a manager’s future can come down to fine margins.

--TheGuardian

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:27pm On Dec 01, 2019
Thunder go fire soon now worry grin grin
ChrisKels:

Basing ur judgement on mere GLIMPSE? Wow u would make a great scout oo grin grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:28pm On Dec 01, 2019
Humility017:

but komekn said playing for the super eagles does nothing and will do nothing positive to the careers of those innit guys
but if a German Nigeria can experience some positives how come those borough guys won't see same

Before you use conjecture to mislead and misrepresent my position.

First of all, if a pkayers is doing good things in the Championship and EPL and is outstanding. He absolutely does not need the SE to booster his career.

Playing for England youth and or senior team will add mucch value and bring in very lucrative endorsements from multiple sources in £ millions.

However, if you are unknown and not making any waves in your league and club. Then playing for the SE will get you noticed and give you a possible career boost. For example Iwobi never played one game for Arsenal first team before he was capped for the SE.

On the other hand if you are in Nigeria you ABSOLUTELY NEED the SE to give you access to Europe and the top leagues. Whether that's through the national youth teams or the SE.

In this regard players born and or with nationality status in Europe making waves in thier careers . Will play for thier national team out of desire and honour to thier Father land.

Players like Adekanya, Oviemuno, Ojo, Iorfa, Eberechi, do it out of love for the nation. And have made that very clear.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:28pm On Dec 01, 2019
tbaba1234:
In my opinion, the player who should be second to Osimhen at the moment is Dessers. It is an easy choice. Much better than Onuachu and offers a lot of similar strengths to Osimhen.

There is no two ways about that bro. This is facts, not feelings.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:29pm On Dec 01, 2019
Joebie:
NBC Sports. hahaha Ivorian

Man of the Match: Wilfred Ndidi was everywhere, even shuttling the ball to Iheanacho in the run-up to Vardy’s equalizer. He passed well, and won balls left, right, and center. With apologies to Richarlison, the honor goes to the Ivorian.

It seems the NTA commentator has gotten job at NBC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:30pm On Dec 01, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Thunder go fire soon now worry grin grin

Nwanne m talk true, if thunder fire ur brother now, no be u go cry pass?

I ga-egbuzi onye I so akwa? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 9:31pm On Dec 01, 2019
Attitude will take you farther ooo
Majority of players I think they love iheancho, everyone celebrated with him.
You can't hide emotions
If a coach does not like you and the board likes your energy on the pitch with the players trust me you can't be sold they will rather allow you sit on bench and collect salary than you leaving

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:31pm On Dec 01, 2019
Dannyxy:
You need to see the buzz in the Leicester dressing room, they are all celebrating iheanacho, they seem genuinely Happy with him..

Go to twitter..

Thats true, i saw that

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:32pm On Dec 01, 2019
tbaba1234:

To quote,
Prior to today's game against the Toffees, Iheanacho had not scored in the Premier League since September 22, 2018.

Over one year ago and that's your basis for saying a player has returned to form one goal in the EPL over a year ago.

He has to be playing regularly and showing consistency. And if can't get game he should move to where he can play.

January transfer window is coming good and cunning move by Leicester to get him in the shop window.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:32pm On Dec 01, 2019
Danielnino00:
Solanke this season in the EPL

12 games 573 minutes 0 goals, 0 assists

Iheanacho: 1 game, 30 minutes, 1 goal and 1 assist

Solanke EPL record '

43 games 1 goal and 2 assists

Iheanacho: 97 games ,16 goals and 12 assists

All time career stat:
Solanke:

83 games, 8 goals and 2 assists

Iheanacho: 129 games 33 goals and 16 assists
(excluding national team stat)

But Solanke is a better striker than Iheanacho ... grin cheesy

Lol

Why are you like this bro?

This is unfair
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:33pm On Dec 01, 2019
cheesy
ChrisKels:

Nwanne m talk true, if thunder fire ur brother now, no be u go cry pass?

I ga-egbuzi onye I so akwa? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:34pm On Dec 01, 2019
lol all those yeye American sportswriters when no sabi anything but American football.

Nicholas Mendola, I don mark that name.

TheGoodJoe:

It seems the NTA commentator has gotten job at NBC.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:35pm On Dec 01, 2019
komekn:

To quote,
Prior to today's game against the Toffees, Iheanacho had not scored in the Premier League since September 22, 2018.

Over one year ago and that's your basis for saying a player has returned to form one goal in the EPL over a year ago.

He has to be playing regularly and showing consistency. And if can't get game he should move to where he can play.

January transfer window is coming good and cunning move by Leicester to get him in the shop window.

Iheanacho has scored whenever he has been involved this season. He is definitely showing signs of a resurgence. He looked very sharp today.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:37pm On Dec 01, 2019
komekn:

Before you use conjecture to mislead and misrepresent my position.

First of all, if a pkayers is doing good things in the Championship and EPL and is outstanding. He absolutely does not need the SE to booster his career.

Playing for England youth and or senior team will add mucch value and bring in very lucrative endorsements from multiple sources in £ millions.

However, if you are unknown and not making any waves in your league and club. Then playing for the SE will get you noticed and give you a possible career boost. For example Iwobi never played one game for Arsenal first team before he was capped for the SE.

On the other hand if you are in Nigeria you ABSOLUTELY NEED the SE to give you access to Europe and the top leagues. Whether that's through the national youth teams or the SE.

In this regard players born and or with nationality status in Europe making waves in thier careers . Will play for thier national team out of desire and honour to thier Father land.

Players like Adekanya, Oviemuno, Ojo, Iorfa, Eberechi, do it out of love for the nation. And have made that very clear.

u dun change mouth, u never went into details like u just did now. Who u wan deceive by putting exceptions now? the line is still fresh in our memory "the foreign born players do not need the Nigerian national team to boost their career"

Lol finally I dun open people eyes to see u for who u are, Bkus diz days even those who seemed to be taking ur dungs before now call u a liar since I dun open ur yansh finish grin

Wizard of lies

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:38pm On Dec 01, 2019
he got game time today. Let's talk about the here and now. At least celeberate his wonderful performance and hope he continues to get game time.
That performance is enough to have him in a SE conversation. And the context here is he was a core member of Rorh's SE. Yesterday I talked about Dele Alli returning to England's side for the same reason.

komekn:

To quote,

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:38pm On Dec 01, 2019
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Chairman lying committee
ChrisKels:

u dun change mouth, u never went into details like u just did now. Who u wan deceive by putting exceptions now? the line is still fresh in our memory "the foreign born players do not need the Nigerian national team to boost their career"

Lol finally I dun open people eyes to see u for who u are, Bkus diz days even those who seemed to be taking ur dungs before now call u a liar since I dun open ur yansh finish grin

Wizard of lies
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 01, 2019
Ter Stegen is a wall
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:43pm On Dec 01, 2019
komekn:

To quote,

At the bolded, were U too blind to see this line from that post u quoted?

Wizard of lies

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:44pm On Dec 01, 2019
komekn this is KC's stats this season. He scored other goals against teams you don't rate poorly.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:47pm On Dec 01, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHqli0ZqTb4

Leicester City players celebrate Kelechi Iheanacho Man of the Match Award against Everton

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:47pm On Dec 01, 2019
Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona what a pulsating affair
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:49pm On Dec 01, 2019
Woow what is this I'm seeing/hearing... Nacho with an assist and winner after coming on as a sub?? More of this please!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:49pm On Dec 01, 2019

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7835) (7836) (7837) (7838) (7839) (7840) (7841) ... (16359) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: humility33(m), charlesemeka85(m), superbloke(m), M7even(m), DrYa, elyte89, Hanibal(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.