Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,785 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7875) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11669861 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7872) (7873) (7874) (7875) (7876) (7877) (7878) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:05am On Dec 05, 2019
Eartquake1:

How many individual trophies did Mane win to win the best player of the year award

This is not Liverpool vs Barcelona

all that will change after the end of this season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:06am On Dec 05, 2019
komekn:

You tell us.

I did not make that claim.

I asked a question. Please answer since you claim to be very knowledgeable about the English Championship
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:09am On Dec 05, 2019
andrewbaba44:

I am glad you got my point

Check everton squad make you see, Only vardy Ndidi and maybe 2 others are better players than what everton have

All of Leicester's defenders are better.... I think
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 05, 2019
Blueelf:

It isn't wise to argue with someone that will never admit he is wrong
True That
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:31am On Dec 05, 2019
Interesting Exclusive...

Lionel Messi's votes for his personal top 3 U-21 talents in the Ballon Dor's Kopa Trophy from the Top 10 U-21 players in world football list are as follows:

1st choice- Jadon Sancho

2nd Choice- Joao Felix

3rd Choice- Samuel Chukwueze.

Chuks have long caught Messi's eyes and attention. Why won't he after Chuks unleashed hell on Barca last season and gave them a strong run in their first game this season so far. Lol

A true gem! cool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:34am On Dec 05, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Look at Messi's insane La Liga stats. What this will not show is some of the magical goals and assists made in the process.

Question. Would he maintain these stats if he worked as hard for his team as Mane? Heck no
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:47am On Dec 05, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Question. Would he maintain these stats if he worked as hard for his team as Mane? Heck no
How then would he have got those stats if he is not working hard for his team? You forgot mane got salah and Firmino at Liverpool. Messi has practically and indirectly been carrying Barca forward all alone.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:59am On Dec 05, 2019
gamaliel9:
Drop your greatest eleven, Here is mine

1. Dino Zoff
2. Cafu
3. Roberto Carlos
4. Rui Costa
5 Franz Beckenbaur
6. Gentile
7. Finidi
8. Garrincha
9. Ronaldo de Lima
10. Pele
11. Ronaldinho

Here is mine

1. Casillas
2. Maldini
3. Cafu
4. Puyol
5. Costacurta
6. Andrea Pirlo
7. Ronaldo( Ororo)
8. Messi( Make Messi fans no vex say I give am no 8 cool
9. De Lima Ronaldo
10. Maradona
11. Zizou
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:03am On Dec 05, 2019
mostob:
How then would he have got those stats if he is not working hard for his team? You forgot mane got salah and Firmino at Liverpool. Messi has practically and indirectly been carrying Barca forward all alone.

Indirectly carrying a team that beat Madrid 5-1 without him? Without the hard work put in by world class Barcelona players Messi wouldn't get to do what he does. Football is a team sport. Can he get the ball from the keeper, not pass to anybody and score 50 a season?

If Luis Suarez goes to a team that lets him walk around doing nothing when they lose the ball I guarantee he will score no less than 50 for the next 3 seasons and he is not young.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:12am On Dec 05, 2019
Olulong:

Here is mine

1. Casillas
2. Maldini
3. Cafu
4. Puyol
5. Costacurta
6. Andrea Pirlo
7. Ronaldo( Ororo)
8. Messi( Make Messi fans no vex say I give am no 8 cool
9. De Lima Ronaldo
10. Maradona
11. Zizou

Nobody even mentioned PAVEL NEDVED. This guy was a monster midfielder

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peterd53(m): 11:17am On Dec 05, 2019
BascoVanVeli:
It is the biggest disgrace that Lionel Messi won that award over Sadio Mane. I will continue to say that football is the most racist sport on the planet. As an African it makes me feel worthless that a man can do so so much and not even make the top 3.

I am a Barcelona fan but Messi did not deserve that award. Mane defeated him in the biggest moment of the season. If Harry Kane did what Mane he would surely be the world best.

Mane snubbed for being African, claims Kouyate

Cheikhou Kouyate indicated he feels European and South American players are favoured in the Ballon d'Or voting - at Sadio Mane's expense.

AS.com

Liverpool forward Sadio Mane would have won the Ballon d'Or if he was European or Brazilian, claims his Senegal team-mate Cheikhou Kouyate.

Mane came fourth in the final standings with 347 votes from the panel of world football journalists, behind winner Lionel Messi (686 votes) of Barcelona, Liverpool team-mate Virgil van Dijk (679) and Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo (476).

As well as helping his team to Champions League glory in June, Mane has continually excelled in domestic action for the Premier League's runaway leaders and Kouyate, who was part of the Palace team that lost 2-1 to Mane's Liverpool in November, suggested the 27-year-old was overlooked due to an anti-African bias.

Cheikhou Kouyate: No doubt Mane should have won

"For me this Ballon d'Or is for Sadio Mane, there is no doubt about that," Kouyate told The Mirror.

"Listen, if Sadio was a Brazilian or a European there would not have been no debate.

"It would have been him for the award straight away and it's not because I play with him at international level, or because I know him; it's just what people who watch football feel.

"Just go back and watch what he did for both club and country and you will see in between the lines that no one has been better than him."

Mane was instrumental in Senegal's run to the final of the Africa Cup of Nations, scoring three goals in five appearances before they were beaten 1-0 by Algeria at the last hurdle.

Kouyate added: "We all know that Messi is really good, maybe the greatest player, but last season, come on.

"Maybe it's not just football that they look at because there is no way three people had a better season than him [Mane].

"It's just unbelievable how some people are judged but that is not fair."

© DIARIO AS, S.L. - Valentín Beato, 44 - 28037 Madrid [España]

You’re a Ronaldo asslicker bruh

Mane ko.......manage ni
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry2(m): 11:31am On Dec 05, 2019
Olofinjana, Finidi In Line For Nigeria Youth Team Coaching Job, Salisu Retains Role In National Team Setup
December 5, 20190228

The recent decision of the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) not to renew the contracts of coaches of the youth teams of Nigeria have given the football body the chance to freshen things up with some former Nigeria international players who are now coaching abroad.

Owngoalnigeria.com exclusively gathered that while the NFF advertised the jobs for U17 and U20 teams, the football house have decided to retain Salisu Yusuf as the coach of the U23 team following his return from suspension for his involvement in a bribery ‎scandal regarding players selection.

Salisu will keep his dual role as the head coach of the B team of the Super Eagles and also the Nigeria U23 aside his job as first assistant to coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr. The process of bringing him back into the system has already started with his secondment to Enugu Rangers by the NFF.

The coach took over from sacked coach Bennedict Ugwu after Rangers requested for a coach from the NFF. The move by the NFF is to make the coach have a smooth return to the touchline before taking over his roles with the national teams.

On the jobs available, the football house is favouring former Mallorca and Real Betis B youth team coach Finidi George for the job of coach of U-17 team while Seyi Olofinjana who is presently a coach with English Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers is the leading candidate to be named the U20 coach.

Olofinjana presently works as the manager of players sent on loan by Wolves and he will push to retain his job with the club even if he is appointed by the NFF when the list of the successful coaches is announced next year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry2(m): 11:33am On Dec 05, 2019
OwnGoal Nigeria

Home Nigeria
Nigeria

Super Eagles Players Want Rohr To Give Them License To Attack More – We Are Too Conservative
December 4, 201901676

Six current players of the senior national team of Nigeria have voiced out their preferred style of play as opposed to what coach of the team Gernot Rohr set them up to play.

Rohr is known to favour a defensive approach which has so far proved to be effective for Nigeria but some of the players are unhappy as they believe it has limited their contributions particularly with the way they are all used to playing at their clubs.

” I love to join the attack despite the fact that I’m a defender but in the national team the coach don’t usually like us to overlap. So most times we play just above the centre circle. It has limited me severally “, one of the players told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Another who is a midfielder in the team believe the issue of lack of creativity is due to the fact that they usually have few options when in possession of the ball in the opponent’s half due to how they are set up to play.

” Most times we are forced to play the ball sideways and backwards due to lack of options in attack. It’s something that has to do with our approach to games and it will be nice if we play to our strength due to the amount of forwards we have who are doing well at their clubs “, he told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Their sentiment was shared by four other players and according to the players they have discussed the tactics at their meeting but most times they have to play to the instruction of the coach who is known for favouring a defensive style of play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:55am On Dec 05, 2019
quickberry2:
Olofinjana, Finidi In Line For Nigeria Youth Team Coaching Job, Salisu Retains Role In National Team Setup
December 5, 20190228

The recent decision of the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) not to renew the contracts of coaches of the youth teams of Nigeria have given the football body the chance to freshen things up with some former Nigeria international players who are now coaching abroad.

Owngoalnigeria.com exclusively gathered that while the NFF advertised the jobs for U17 and U20 teams, the football house have decided to retain Salisu Yusuf as the coach of the U23 team following his return from suspension for his involvement in a bribery ‎scandal regarding players selection.

Salisu will keep his dual role as the head coach of the B team of the Super Eagles and also the Nigeria U23 aside his job as first assistant to coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr. The process of bringing him back into the system has already started with his secondment to Enugu Rangers by the NFF.

The coach took over from sacked coach Bennedict Ugwu after Rangers requested for a coach from the NFF. The move by the NFF is to make the coach have a smooth return to the touchline before taking over his roles with the national teams.

On the jobs available, the football house is favouring former Mallorca and Real Betis B youth team coach Finidi George for the job of coach of U-17 team while Seyi Olofinjana who is presently a coach with English Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers is the leading candidate to be named the U20 coach.

Olofinjana presently works as the manager of players sent on loan by Wolves and he will push to retain his job with the club even if he is appointed by the NFF when the list of the successful coaches is announced next year.
God will punish Pinnick if Salisu is back in the NY setup.
Stop this nonsense for FFS!! Is Salisu the best home based coach around? Only in Nigeria will we reward corruption.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:56am On Dec 05, 2019
Blueelf:

Even in the ligue 1 highlights I streamed this morning, the commentator was annoyingly referring to him as an England International angry angry
They know what they're doing. Rohr will invite him for our next game so no shaking...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 11:58am On Dec 05, 2019
edi287:

They know what they're doing. Rohr will invite him for our next game so no shaking...

I'm sure England can not go through the stress of change of allegiance for a player like Maja

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jimmyiovine: 11:59am On Dec 05, 2019
https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2019/12/05/olofinjana-finidi-in-line-for-nigeria-youth-team-coaching-job-salisu-retains-role-in-national-team-setup/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 12:07pm On Dec 05, 2019
jimmyiovine:
https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2019/12/05/olofinjana-finidi-in-line-for-nigeria-youth-team-coaching-job-salisu-retains-role-in-national-team-setup/

Ahhh...I remember those days. Seyi Olofinjana was a renowned carpenter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:23pm On Dec 05, 2019
Pinnick, Dessers and a sure banker 2020 Call-up

Cyriel Dessers, Eredivisie player of the month says he is open for @NGSuperEagles selection. #SoarSuperEagles #Team9jaStrong

Courtesy: @thenff

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:28pm On Dec 05, 2019
Maduka Okoye speaks in Igbo language wishing all Nigerians the best of the Yuletide season. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5073xRqo58

Safarigirl will love to see this one grin

Chriskels and Omanbala1 (Sir OdenigboAroli) would be proud or perhaps may even criticise. Trust their matter. Wahala people cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:29pm On Dec 05, 2019
Lol... Back then, I remember Nigerians generally regarded him as our worst player in that period.

In any case shaa... he is quite intellectual. I recall he bagged University degrees while still playing for the Super Eagles, I think. Man may make a better coach than the player he was. wink

Blueelf:

Ahhh...I remember those days. Seyi Olofinjana was a renowned carpenter

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:33pm On Dec 05, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Cyriel Dessers, Eredivisie player of the month says he is open for @NGSuperEagles selection. #SoarSuperEagles #Team9jaStrong

I wonder how his father feels about this.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:56pm On Dec 05, 2019
Clementoke:

I'm sure England can not go through the stress of change of allegiance for a player like Maja
LOL true Sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:56pm On Dec 05, 2019
The guy was a beast
Blueelf:

Nobody even mentioned PAVEL NEDVED. This guy was a monster midfielder
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 12:58pm On Dec 05, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

This is wonderful.
This statement is bold and clear with no "shadow of turning". It is one with a conviction. It is also coming at a time when he is in a crazy form.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:01pm On Dec 05, 2019
West Ham have real problems in the attacking department at the moment.

They signed Sebastien Haller for £45 million in the summer, and he has looked extremely unconvincing over the past couple of months.

The 24-year-old is in the form of his life, and he has already banged in 13 goals in 16 games for the Dutch outfit this season.

He seems to be a natural born goalscorer, and although he doesn’t do much aside from scoring goals, he is exactly the type of striker the Hammers need to partner Haller.

Dessers is a strong centre-forward, and standing at 6ft 1 in tall, he seems to be ideally suited to the Premier League, what with its robust nature.

The Belgian is under contract with Heracles until the summer of 2022, so he will certianly not come cheap.

West Ham should have more than enough financial firepower to test the Dutch side’s resolve, however.

At 24, Dessers still has plenty of years left ahead of him before he even reaches his prime.

And if the Hammers do sign the Heracles hitman, he could end up being a really useful addition over many years to come.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:04pm On Dec 05, 2019
edi287:

God will punish Pinnick if Salisu is back in the NY setup.
Stop this nonsense for FFS!! Is Salisu the best home based coach around? Only in Nigeria will we reward corruption.

please rest joor.
forget the bribery case...he is the best for the job as it is now....

I am so excited by this news...

please let NFF confirm this appointment...will be so happy.
square pegs in square hole

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:06pm On Dec 05, 2019
safarigirl:
I wonder how his father feels about this.

they don't really care much ooo unlike we Nigerians some times...
all they care after is a successful career for their lads
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 05, 2019
komekn:

How can you reject what has not been presented to you.

When and where was Dessers given an official call up to the Belguim team.

First of the Belguim FA recognise that thier league is not the best in Europe. So what you find is the vast majority if not all of thier top players play in the top 3/4 leagues of Europe.

If Dessers was in EPL or La Liga or Seria A getting those figures he would be taken more seriously.

With regards to marketing and branding Dessers profile will attract little or no interest. For instance Rashford will be making just from Nike at least £3 million a year possibly more now.

Balderdash, Cyril Dessers is the highest performing 'Belgian' striker at the moment

He would walk into the team on merit but he rejected it for where his heart was

Or are you saying the Dutch league is not rated?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:09pm On Dec 05, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

the SUPER EAGLES is waxing stronger...
with an additional AM and few defenders we're good to go.....

#viva super eagles....

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:11pm On Dec 05, 2019
Eartquake1:

Balderdash, Cyril Dessers is the highest performing 'Belgian' striker at the moment

He would walk into the team on merit but he rejected it for where his heart was

Or are you saying the Dutch league is not rated?

unfortunately this ROHR of ours does not rate the Eredivisie...
that's the few problem I have with Him...though... he is more disposed towards the French, German league and even the English and Spanish league he just have to because those leagues are renowed...

but the Belgian league and Eredivisie
mbanu... the old man rarely look there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:12pm On Dec 05, 2019
jimmyiovine:

this will be the best appointments....
square pegs in square holes..

forget the fact that SALISU was involve in bribery...the dude is the best indigenous coach for the job as it stands now.....
let the NFF reinstate him but issue him a strict warning......

I don't believe or Rather it is almost impossible to find indigenous coach that does not take bribe....even though many have not been exposed... but deep down we all know something must have influenced the biased and poor team selection that often characterize their call ups

yusuf...
silver with the home based eagles team in the last CHAN tourney

silver with the home based eagles in the last WAFU tourney

assembled an under 23 team that played a fast tatalizing and attacking brand of football against Athletico Madrid...

(1) (2) (3) ... (7872) (7873) (7874) (7875) (7876) (7877) (7878) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Oasis007(m), cromz(m), MegaStarr(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.