Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,562 members, 7,861,662 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:35 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11933812 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8277) (8278) (8279) (8280) (8281) (8282) (8283) ... (16343) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:51pm On Feb 08, 2020
Blueelf:

But they lost to Serbia na

How can they beat the USA if they can't beat common serbia grin grin grin

#dodges sticks and stones and runs away.

Common Serbia u say?
Serbia are one of the top 10 team in the world both at male and female level in basketball... Plus they were the host...
The girls lost by just 6 points. Abeg give them some credit.. they tried.. don't forget that they beat turkey and Argentina at the world cup..

USA is the world number one country in basketball.. everybody knows that. They hardly loss... But I never said they would beat USA. I said they could go far at the Olympics.... Whether or not they meet USA along the way.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:17am On Feb 09, 2020
Danielnino00:

Common Serbia u say?
Serbia are one of the top 10 team in the world both at male and female level in basketball... Plus they were the host...
The girls lost by just 6 points. Abeg give them some credit.. they tried.. don't forget that they beat turkey and Argentina at the world cup..

USA is the world number one country in basketball.. everybody knows that. They hardly loss... But I never said they would beat USA. I said they could go far at the Olympics.... Whether or not they meet USA along the way.

Finally, someone with basketball IQ. Anyone who watches basketball knows that the Slavs are no pushovers in the sport.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:39am On Feb 09, 2020
Danielnino00:

That girl is a monster. Plus Promise Amukamara...

Plus Akhator and Elonu... And Nyinginfar and Ediofereka...

In fact, the whole team grin ..

Those girls can go far at the Olympics...
Same with D'tigers ....

Our basketball is on the rise !!

Afrobasket 2021 loading.....

Akhator was very poor today. The team needs more big bodies in the paint. Chinenye Ogwumike is a player I think we should go for. She recently retired to join ESPN but she is only 27. I think if she joins us we will get to that next level.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:43am On Feb 09, 2020
Danielnino00:

Common Serbia u say?

The girls only had one single practice as a full team. I guarantee that USA will feel us when we meet. From what I see, they are our easily our best basketball hope for a medal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:05am On Feb 09, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

Akhator was very poor today. The team needs more big bodies in the paint. Chinenye Ogwumike is a player I think we should go for. She recently retired to join ESPN but she is only 27. I think if she joins us we will get to that next level.

Chinyeye would be a great addition.. but I don't think she would like to come out of retirement just to play for Nigeria ..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:11am On Feb 09, 2020
safarigirl:
stale gist.

Did you just subscribe?
You should tackle your own stupidity. It's evident. Very evident! From telling me what and what not to do, to tryna spot who and what i do. I've got a fan here. Whatever you think you are, is irrelevant to what i do here, neither is it your business whatsoever. But since youre the Librarian of personalities and what they do, proceeed as much as you like.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:42am On Feb 09, 2020
The writer seems to be suggesting something but at the same time the write up is seemingly contradictory. Who can help me understand this piece. Let's analyze it because it's lacking clarity.

MetalJigsaw:
Being the second choice demeans the Super Eagles brand
opera.com

Nigeria’s biggest and most positive brand is the senior national football team – most commonly known as the Super Eagles. Therefore, the players, the coaching team, the administrators, the federation, government and indeed all Nigerians, have the stellar duty of protecting this brand.

This is even more so since one of the best news about Nigeria abroad is how good our footballers are in their respective European teams and how good the Eagles have been in international competitions.

We all then have a duty to stop the Eagles from becoming the second choice or the last alternative for players, whose brands have waned at countries where they were born. This is not knocking the concept of mining the diaspora. What I am saying is that we should mine for the best products in terms of the quality of human resources we pool to the team.

Recently in the news, Ademola Lookman and Chuba Akpom confirmed their intentions to switch national allegiance from England to Nigeria. National allegiance switches have been a desired performance metric for the Amaju Pinnick-led Nigeria Football Federation (NFF). However, how altruistic were these decisions from the players?

In 2018, England’s U-21 manager, Aidy Boothroyd told the Daily Mail , “Every time I see him [Lookman] I have a little joke with him about it. I say: “Why would you want to leave us? But he’s very focused on England – that’s what he tells me. He says he wants to play international football for England.”
In December 2019, Lookman told the Guardian , “I’ve not changed my mind on wanting to represent England but I’m open and it’s good to have different opportunities.”

What changed?

The likely answer is Lookman’s expected stature ascent after winning the FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2017 has not materialised. He found it hard to consistently feature at Everton and his sojourn to RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga has not been a roaring success.
By the time the 2022 World Cup comes kicks off, Lookman will be about 25 years of age with his window of opportunity to show off on football’s biggest stage diminishing. For his managers, it is a wise decision to switch allegiance. But, will it be a wise decision for the Eagles to have him knowing they are just a second choice?
Chuba Akpom, the 24-year-old now plying his trade for PAOK in Greece former Arsenal starlet who burst into the limelight in the 2014/15 EPL season, has seen that the light might be dulling. He is not anywhere near his wunderkind status nearly six years ago when Arsene Wenger introduced him to the world.

There are other examples who have Nigeria in their consciousness as a second choice. The case of Adama Traore, Wolverhampton forward, who declared for Mali and was then called up by Spain is another example. His assessment of his situation according to BBC is, “When the time comes, you will see which team I decide.” Traore then added, “But if Spain come again, I will be in a position to go and train with Spain.” No more mention of Mali!

Protecting the Super Eagles Brand
While the overriding notion to make the Eagles the finest collection of talents that Nigeria boasts of – home and abroad, is in the best interest of everybody, it is unfair that the team becomes the last resort for players, who had earlier been courted by the Eagles but distanced themselves from representing Nigeria and chose to go with national teams of other countries of allegiance.

Harvard Business Review talks about balancing “brand exposure with brand protection”, a notion that the Eagles are missing at the moment because there is no visible mission statement and only a sketchy vision of ensuring as many Nigerians in the diaspora as possible play for the country. In achieving this vision, the team’s managers and the NFF must not be distracted from what makes the brand what it is – absolutely Nigerian.

NFF president, Amaju Pinnick told Punch, “If the truth be told, most players from the western climes are better exposed and are highly trained than what we can get here. The equipment they are exposed to is another factor too.” I agree with this notion but insist we can develop our infrastructure and league system so we can improve our own locally bred players or at least accept players based in the diaspora who a willing to make Nigeria their first choice.

Selfish interest over patriotism?

It is hard to find examples of the players that have naturalised, for whom the Eagles have been the first choice. Victor Moses and Alex Iwobi are the most high-profile names that come to mind, and we know that if England had called them up before Nigeria, they will most likely have represented the Three Lions. No player of note has rejected England, Germany, or Belgium to represent Nigeria.

That is why a 27-year-old Victor Moses will retire from the Super Eagles when he is still at his peak, after just six years of service to the country. No one retires from a love interest or what they are passionate about when they are still needed. The truth is that he achieved his mission of joining the team. He got a bigger profile by going to the World Cup and that ultimately increased his market value.

There are questions we can ask. Will Cyriel Dessers ever be called up by the Belgium? Will Leon Balogun ever have played for Germany? Why has the England set-up overlooked both Ademola Lookman and Ovie Ejaria, even though they are known very well to the selectors?

The answers to these questions paint the real picture. Administrators of the Super Eagles will do well to pay more close attention to the dynamics of choosing players as a strategy to make the team stronger by being more selective.
The Super Eagles should be nobody’s second choice!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eazyjakes(m): 5:14am On Feb 09, 2020
Joebie:
The writer seems to be suggesting something but at the same time the write up is seemingly contradictory. Who can help me understand this piece. Let's analyze it because it's lacking clarity.

I think his thoughts are that the Super Eagles as a brand diminishes if it continues to make itself a readily available alternative or second choice to foreign bred Nigerians. He wants an improved local system dat will ensure players totally committed to us are the ones who dorn the green jersey. These committed players can be local or foreign based but they will give us their heart at all times without any ulterior/questionable motives!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 5:42am On Feb 09, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

I totally agree with the bolded. One factor that aided the Serbs was their superior physical stature, which they put to maximum use.
I wish Coach Otis would call up a certain 6’9” Aiyeotan to the squad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:57am On Feb 09, 2020
The first question is why is the SE brand inferior? Is it because of our way of selection or because we have failed to put our own house in order? At some point the writer seemed to be insinuating we hold whatever the said players say in the past against them and never consider them in our selection. At another point he seems to be saying another thing talking about selecting the best players. The likes of Akpom and Lookman know they have a big fight in their hands but they have decided to switch regardless. They are not going to get a call up automatically until they start to perform in Europe probably to the standard England etc will wish they never switched. So come to think of it, is it really our player selection that builds the brand? Whether we are strict in our selection or not by whatever standard, if our organization and the way your run your league is not attractive it's not going to improve the brand. If our league is very attractive and is churning out stars here and there, the said players will consider SE as a very good option maybe at par with their other option, because who no like better thing. Everyone wants to go where better thing dey happen. And in that circumstance, when we look their way it becomes a big deal, a thing of honor. They will either grab it with both hands or they may still consider their other options because chances is that they would still be attracting interest from the other country at the same time. So you see it doesn't change the fact that they still have a choice to make. It's either we are the first choice or the second. But as it stands today, we remain the fall back option.

For me, the guy has not really said anything new, or at least he was not clear. I am not sure if he is trying to say if our league was great we would not need them. But then by implying we select the best he seems to be contradicting himself. The best can be anywhere for that matter whether our league is good or not.

Modified
What has made the 3 Lions etc brand great? Why where they after Iwobi when he was on his way to represent Nigeria? Why did they keem making moves on players who were about to commit to us. Foolish pride don't improve your brand. It's okay to go for the best players. Everyone wants the best players in their team. But how you go about it matters.

eazyjakes:

I think his thoughts are that the Super Eagles as a brand diminishes if it continues to make itself a readily available alternative or second choice to foreign bred Nigerians. He wants an improved local system dat will ensure players totally committed to us are the ones who dorn the green jersey. These committed players can be local or foreign based but they will give us their heart at all times without any ulterior/questionable motives!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:25am On Feb 09, 2020
daveP:
You should tackle your own stupidity. It's evident. Very evident! From telling me what and what not to do, to tryna spot who and what i do. I've got a fan here. Whatever you think you are, is irrelevant to what i do here, neither is it your business whatsoever. But since youre the Librarian of personalities and what they do, proceeed as much as you like.

K

I have moved on.

Happy Sunday.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:53am On Feb 09, 2020
Danielnino00:

That guy has serious issue..

He takes so much delight in trying to vilify people..

Lol

As usual always quoting at my back to say rubbish

That’s the best thing you are good at
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 9:16am On Feb 09, 2020
eazyjakes:

I agree with his submission about Moses, like if Victor was playing for England i don't think he will retire so early, but is all good any way we have found some alternative and we need to move on.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 9:20am On Feb 09, 2020
jieta:
I agree with his submission about Moses, like if Victor was playing for England i don't think he will retire so early, but is all good any way we have found some alternative and we need to move on.
I personally think answers to Victor's decision to retire lies at the glass house.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 9:22am On Feb 09, 2020
MetalJigsaw:
Being the second choice demeans the Super Eagles brand
opera.com

Nigeria’s biggest and most positive brand is the senior national football team – most commonly known as the Super Eagles. Therefore, the players, the coaching team, the administrators, the federation, government and indeed all Nigerians, have the stellar duty of protecting this brand.

This is even more so since one of the best news about Nigeria abroad is how good our footballers are in their respective European teams and how good the Eagles have been in international competitions.

We all then have a duty to stop the Eagles from becoming the second choice or the last alternative for players, whose brands have waned at countries where they were born. This is not knocking the concept of mining the diaspora. What I am saying is that we should mine for the best products in terms of the quality of human resources we pool to the team.

Recently in the news, Ademola Lookman and Chuba Akpom confirmed their intentions to switch national allegiance from England to Nigeria. National allegiance switches have been a desired performance metric for the Amaju Pinnick-led Nigeria Football Federation (NFF). However, how altruistic were these decisions from the players?

In 2018, England’s U-21 manager, Aidy Boothroyd told the Daily Mail , “Every time I see him [Lookman] I have a little joke with him about it. I say: “Why would you want to leave us? But he’s very focused on England – that’s what he tells me. He says he wants to play international football for England.”
In December 2019, Lookman told the Guardian , “I’ve not changed my mind on wanting to represent England but I’m open and it’s good to have different opportunities.”

What changed?

The likely answer is Lookman’s expected stature ascent after winning the FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2017 has not materialised. He found it hard to consistently feature at Everton and his sojourn to RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga has not been a roaring success.
By the time the 2022 World Cup comes kicks off, Lookman will be about 25 years of age with his window of opportunity to show off on football’s biggest stage diminishing. For his managers, it is a wise decision to switch allegiance. But, will it be a wise decision for the Eagles to have him knowing they are just a second choice?
Chuba Akpom, the 24-year-old now plying his trade for PAOK in Greece former Arsenal starlet who burst into the limelight in the 2014/15 EPL season, has seen that the light might be dulling. He is not anywhere near his wunderkind status nearly six years ago when Arsene Wenger introduced him to the world.

There are other examples who have Nigeria in their consciousness as a second choice. The case of Adama Traore, Wolverhampton forward, who declared for Mali and was then called up by Spain is another example. His assessment of his situation according to BBC is, “When the time comes, you will see which team I decide.” Traore then added, “But if Spain come again, I will be in a position to go and train with Spain.” No more mention of Mali!

Protecting the Super Eagles Brand
While the overriding notion to make the Eagles the finest collection of talents that Nigeria boasts of – home and abroad, is in the best interest of everybody, it is unfair that the team becomes the last resort for players, who had earlier been courted by the Eagles but distanced themselves from representing Nigeria and chose to go with national teams of other countries of allegiance.

Harvard Business Review talks about balancing “brand exposure with brand protection”, a notion that the Eagles are missing at the moment because there is no visible mission statement and only a sketchy vision of ensuring as many Nigerians in the diaspora as possible play for the country. In achieving this vision, the team’s managers and the NFF must not be distracted from what makes the brand what it is – absolutely Nigerian.

NFF president, Amaju Pinnick told Punch, “If the truth be told, most players from the western climes are better exposed and are highly trained than what we can get here. The equipment they are exposed to is another factor too.” I agree with this notion but insist we can develop our infrastructure and league system so we can improve our own locally bred players or at least accept players based in the diaspora who a willing to make Nigeria their first choice.

Selfish interest over patriotism?

It is hard to find examples of the players that have naturalised, for whom the Eagles have been the first choice. Victor Moses and Alex Iwobi are the most high-profile names that come to mind, and we know that if England had called them up before Nigeria, they will most likely have represented the Three Lions. No player of note has rejected England, Germany, or Belgium to represent Nigeria.

That is why a 27-year-old Victor Moses will retire from the Super Eagles when he is still at his peak, after just six years of service to the country. No one retires from a love interest or what they are passionate about when they are still needed. The truth is that he achieved his mission of joining the team. He got a bigger profile by going to the World Cup and that ultimately increased his market value.

There are questions we can ask. Will Cyriel Dessers ever be called up by the Belgium? Will Leon Balogun ever have played for Germany? Why has the England set-up overlooked both Ademola Lookman and Ovie Ejaria, even though they are known very well to the selectors?

The answers to these questions paint the real picture. Administrators of the Super Eagles will do well to pay more close attention to the dynamics of choosing players as a strategy to make the team stronger by being more selective.
The Super Eagles should be nobody’s second choice!

Beautiful piece from the writer's point of view maybe but I just don't buy his idea. Football is just not a passion, it is a business. It is delusional to compare yourself against your superiors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 9:45am On Feb 09, 2020
Utonwanne:

Beautiful piece from the writer's point of view maybe but I just don't buy his idea. Football is just not a passion, it is a business. It is delusional to compare yourself against your superiors.

Club football is business, country football is about loyalty

People will only give you the respect you allocate to yourself
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:52am On Feb 09, 2020
Earthquake2:

Everything is business my guy

Maybe back in the day, country football was loyalty, but not today.

Today, everyone wants to make money, through club and country. The day NFF doesn't pay Super Eagles their bonus, dem go play rubbish, they will wail from Ikorodu to Kafanchan, and some people will say a labourer should be paid his wages.

Loyalty doesn't care for money. That does not apply to country football these days, everybody has the same line finally; "owo mi da"

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 12:03pm On Feb 09, 2020
Earthquake2:

Loyalty gị na onye?? cheesy

I no no wetin to talk again sef, all thanks to Safari

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:21pm On Feb 09, 2020
Danielnino00:

cheesy. No sir.. no babe for this side..
But no worry, something great will happen soon cheesy
Lolz ..OK man
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 12:39pm On Feb 09, 2020
safarigirl:

Everything is business my guy

Maybe back in the day, country football was loyalty, but not today.

Today, everyone wants to make money, through club and country. The day NFF doesn't pay Super Eagles their bonus, dem go play rubbish, they will wail from Ikorodu to Kafanchan, and some people will say a labourer should be paid his wages.

Loyalty doesn't care for money. That does not apply to country football these days, everybody has the same line finally; "owo mi da"

You are wrong Safari

Loyalty is still very much displayed by professional players coming to play for their respective countries.

How much do you think countries worldwide pay players compared to club salaries and wages?

Most Countries pays peanuts compared to clubs yet these players wanna still bleed for their countries. They lobby, fight to get into the team. If they get it, they cherish the experience. But if they don't they wail sorrowfully all over the media. I am talking about all countries of the world.

Some players who miss out selections will diss the coach, the FA, media and everyone on their path. Case study: Samir Nasri, Ter stegan vs Emmanuel Nuer clash of Germany. For how much really?.. Peanuts.

How much was iwobi bought? $40M

How much did Algeria collect for winning AFCON 2019? $8.2M... How much did each Algerian players collect as wages from preliminary group stage to final and winning the cup?

I don't think it was upto the $25M Kelechi iheanacho Leicester City bought. Or up what they pay him weekly which averages £75,000 per week.

How much did France get for winning the World Cup 2018 and how much was Paul Pogba bought by Man U or Joax felix by ATM?

Ordinarily, these players shouldn't bother themselves about country football anymore since they earn far far more from club football but nothing can be compared to the passion, acceptance of your own people/country, playing for them for honor and bragging rights.

You can be a super star for your club but that one concern only you and your family, it is also for your own personal glory. Nobody argues that with you.

But country football has always been and will forever be for National glory. That is why it is called "National Assignment"...Lol

Your Nation sent you on a National errand/assignment same as they send the Military, Police, Doctors (during crisis), even Athletes etc

As for them fighting for their wages, it is purely legal and rightful because people sent on National assignment like that are usually given a reasonable stipends, salary, or allowance. Even if it were a volunteer service, you will still be entitled to those peanuts.

You can't expect our Nigerian players not to complain when administrators decide to embezle these peanuts while urging the players to play for pride.

As an administrator, you are paid a salary. You are also given money to share to players and coaches as allowances. Rather you eat your salary and still want to eat the players wages. For what?

Babe no reason am o!

Ighalo earn $300k per week in China but still want to play for Nigeria just for $10k per match bonus. You people won't still pay him rather will insult his family for missing goals.

Abeg allow the players to demand for their wages o!

Taking a huge pay cut from their club salaries to get peanuts match allowances their respective countries is enough Loyalty.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:50pm On Feb 09, 2020
So mikel obi has achieved more things in football than Liverpool legend Steven Gerard grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:30pm On Feb 09, 2020
realpoacher:

You are wrong Safari

Loyalty is still very much displayed by professional players coming to play for their respective countries.

How much do you think countries worldwide pay players compared to club salaries and wages?

Most Countries pays peanuts compared to clubs yet these players wanna still bleed for their countries. They lobby, fight to get into the team. If they get it, they cherish the experience. But if they don't they wail sorrowfully all over the media. I am talking about all countries of the world.

Some players who miss out selections will diss the coach, the FA, media and everyone on their path. Case study: Samir Nasri, Ter stegan vs Emmanuel Nuer clash of Germany. For how much really?.. Peanuts.

How much did Algeria collect for winning AFCON 2019? $8.2M... How much did each Algerian players collect as wages from preliminary group stage to final and winning the cup?

I don't think it was upto the $25M Kelechi iheanacho Leicester City bought. Or up what they pay him weekly which averages £75,000 per week.

How much did France get for winning the World Cup 2018 and how much was Paul Pogba bought by Man U or Joax felix by ATM?

Ordinarily, these players shouldn't bother themselves about country football anymore since they earn far far more from club football but nothing can be compared to the passion, acceptance of your own people/country, playing for them for honor and bragging rights.

You can be a super star for your club but that one concern only you and your family, it is also for your own personal glory. Nobody argues that with you.

But country football has always been and will forever be for National glory. That is why it is called "National Assignment"...Lol

Your Nation sent you on a National errand/assignment same as they send the Military, Police, Doctors (during crisis), even Athletes etc

As for them fighting for their wages, it is purely legal and rightful because people sent on National assignment like that are usually given a reasonable stipends, salary, or allowance. Even if it were a volunteer service, you will still be entitled to those peanuts.

You can't expect our Nigerian players not to complain when administrators decide to embezle these peanuts while urging the players to play for pride.

As an administrator, you are paid a salary. You are also given money to share to players and coaches as allowances. Rather you eat your salary and still want to eat the players wages. For what?

Babe no reason am o!

Ighalo earn $300k per week in China but still want to play for Nigeria just for $10k per match bonus. You people won't still pay him rather will insult his family for missing goals.

Taking a huge pay cut from their club salaries to get peanuts match allowances their respective countries is enough Loyalty.

In everything you said (which was very long, to be honest) money is still involved. You want to collect money because NFF members are collecting money. Even the NFF members want money too, no thought for loyalty to country.

Even When a player gets injured under international duty, FIFA still pays. Why didn't loyalty cover for the injury? Why don't the players refuse the money?

How many footballers play for free for their countries?

Loyalty is playing whether they pay you or not. People only care for what they will get from the game these days; even the country football is just a means for some players to be seen by clubs, to stay relevant. Loyalty went into coma when football went bigtime, only a minute few players have it these days.

Everything is a means to make money; if it is not to make money now, it is to make it later. Playing for country is like going to work, without pay, because you want to get experience for a better job.

I don't care for football administrators, it is only the players I am concerned with, but even then, this your gist is like saying " Since politicians are stealing, why can't everybody else steal?" Let us release all the thieves and normalise theft. Both players and NFF, na the same boat all of them dey.

Nobody cares anymore about loyalty. I am not saying don't pay them, but ain't nobody really loyal in the sense they were two decades ago.

It happens.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:37pm On Feb 09, 2020
realpoacher:

You are wrong Safari

Babe no reason am o!

You av only buttressed safari's point dt for every loyalty exhibited by a player is undertone by some financial gains cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:55pm On Feb 09, 2020
Semi Ajayi starts for West Bromwich Albion in their away game at Millwall in the English Championship.

They looking to consolidate their place at the top of the Championship. Win this, and they will go four points clear of Leeds utd in the battle of first place.

Meanwhile Paul Omo Mukairu played 30 mins (subbed in on 60mins) for Antalyaspor in their 2-2 away draw at Kayserispor in the Turkish Super Lig.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 1:57pm On Feb 09, 2020
realpoacher:

You are wrong Safari

Babe no reason am o!

I think you are missing the premise.

The context here is for players with dual nationalities é.g A. Lookman who has Nigeria as second option. Players of this category in most cases, choose countries with better remuneration package in expense of countries like ours.

Honestly, 'loyalty' is always secondary, that is why France has more dark players than Nigeria, that's the reason Ozil and Ilkay Gundogan chose Germany. If loyalty is the first priority, Belgium will be begging Dessers because lukaku and Benteke will be playing for DRC with Kenya parading Origi.......

The writer suggesting that we should no accept these players because they are damaging our 'football brand' is laughable because we 've got no option. Even developing our own won't be easy, it is long term plan. Let's just manage what we have unless we are ready to have Egwuekwe, Lakosa, Sokari et al in our line-up

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:06pm On Feb 09, 2020
The Millwall vs West Brom game kicks off in 24 mins.

TheSuperNerd:
Semi Ajayi starts for West Bromwich Albion in their away game at Millwall in the English Championship.

They looking to consolidate their place at the top of the Championship. Win this, and they will go four points clear of Leeds utd in the battle of first place.

Meanwhile Paul Omo Mukairu played 30 mins (subbed in on 60mins) for Antalyaspor in their 2-2 away draw at Kayserispor in the Turkish Super Lig.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:17pm On Feb 09, 2020
William Troost Ekong returns to the starting lineup for Udinese in their away game at Bottom-of-the-Serie A Brescia that has Balotelli and rising midfield gem, Sandro Tonali.

Game starts in 43 mins.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 2:49pm On Feb 09, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
William Troost Ekong returns to the starting lineup for Udinese in their away game at Bottom-of-the-Serie A Brescia that has Balotelli and rising midfield gem, Sandro Tonali.

Game starts in 43 mins.

Why has he been absent from recent games hope he's not dropped form
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 3:11pm On Feb 09, 2020
elyte89:

You av only buttressed safari's point dt for every loyalty exhibited by a player is undertone by some financial gains cool

Let me come in.

Please national team duty is not for financiall gain but for pride. It is because Nigeria is a dysfunctional country that is why the peanuts the players gets is being embezzled. Most of these players in developed nations even donate their national team bonuses to charity sef. So playing for country is mostly not about money.

However , like I said before, Nigeria is a dysfunctional country on its own, there is no real patriotism in the country anymore . So sad

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:15pm On Feb 09, 2020
The only recent league game he missed was the last one against Inter. He played the others before that. Then ofcos he didn't play the Coppa Italia 4-0 loss to Juve.

oloriooko:

Why has he been absent from recent games hope he's not dropped form

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:00pm On Feb 09, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Game starts in 43 mins.

No surprised about ekong bro, remember he was benched last week ?

I think he was being rested, dude is one of the most used players in seria A this season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by etebefia: 4:28pm On Feb 09, 2020
After 20+mins in the Nigerian league only 1 team has scored. This is not a good record.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8277) (8278) (8279) (8280) (8281) (8282) (8283) ... (16343) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jolly94, Diavolo, Odunayaw(m), elyte89, Goke7, tsquare299(m), Stillwater10, bennie1980(m), Napoleon55(m), lovewins, Mujtahida and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.