Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,761 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8338) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11752504 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8335) (8336) (8337) (8338) (8339) (8340) (8341) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by slimthugchimee2(m): 6:08pm On Feb 21, 2020
Odunayaw:
your No. 4 conclusion reeks of dung sir. You don't rate among the best 5 DMs in Europe (by better mouthpieces) for one grunt on Nairaland to come making bold statements.

That said, What superstar was in the Costa Rican team that reach the QF in 2014 WC? Ogbeni this isn't pes

Also ask what superstar was in Nigeria when we won afcon 2013
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 21, 2020
AllforJesus7:

Premise of the argument >> "The Nigerian squad is scary"

My argument >>
1. The Nigerian squad is average at best. All the players the dude listed above play at mid level to back water teams. We have no single player in a top team. We have no single world class player. We have no goal keeper.

2. In the history, all AFCON and world cup semi-finalists all had an outstanding player that carried the team through.

Two brief examples;

In 2012, Zambia (the least prestigious team to win a recent AFCON) won because of the genius of goal keeper Mweene who saved countless penalties and stopped shots.

Nigeria in 2019 could not progress beyond the semi finals because they had no goal keeper and no outstanding /world class player. Mahrez carried Algeria through

3. Analysing the Nigerian team:

The defenders play for mid to low level teams. They choked against Madagascar. Ekong scored an own goal against Algeria and recently against Lesotho?

Ndidi is good at tackles but is limited when it comes to play making. The attacking mid fielders listed are either under - performing or playing for back water clubs e.g Iwobi, Aribo, Eze

The attack is quite good. However against top teams with top defenders they get found out.

Conclusion:

1. I do not undermine our team. We have very good prospects for the near future.

2. But at the moment, contrary to what the poster would have us think (by listing the squad and tagging them scary), we are still but a very average team.

3. To become world beaters and continent shakers our players need to go up one more gear and play for top teams. We need an average of 2 to 3 world class players. Even one world class player will do.

4. Ndidi is not a world class players (If you want to argue be ready to come at me with stats. Trust me I have sufficient stats to prove)
At best Ndidi is above average.

5. The team needs an average projected period of 3 or 5 more years to become 'scary'.

6. Apologies if I deflated anyone's ego or excitement at the team. I simply stated the fact.

This is a very good Ojuelegba Under Bridge, Newspaper vendor, Football Analysis. Keep it up sir.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:29pm On Feb 21, 2020
safarigirl:

Great list, TruidStar, our Cyriel don finally enter I. Praise Master Jesus! grin

I look forward to not seeing the bolded names by June, we thank them for their services, but there comes a time in a team's life.....

Musa must reach his 100 appearances o

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:39pm On Feb 21, 2020
BascoVanVeli:
Wow so Osimhen has already gone to see Ighalo. Got a jersey too grin

https://mobile.twitter.com/Buchi_Laba/status/1230827996040265728

Osimhen is very young
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:44pm On Feb 21, 2020
Danielnino00:

I don't understand again... I thought they have already processed his switch...

What's he saying again ??

If England shows interest the guy will dump the switching process

The guy is a fraud
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:53pm On Feb 21, 2020
Et tu, Nerdie cheesy grin shocked

O pari

TheSuperNerd:

You know your football dear Safarigirl. Not for this post ofcourse. You have always known your stuffs. Well said. We saw Osimhen without goals and assists and he was still reckoned and a threat! We saw Haaland without the goals and assists and we saw how useless he was. No disrespect to any lad but both are special in their own ways but it is clear Osimhen is the better and more rounded centre forward. He is a goals machine and a monster that will worry any defence! Haaland is only a goals machine. And I love them both. That's the whole story. cool

Well said again dear Safari... Let me give you your kiss now. grin

**Yara Yara make sure Icon79 doesn't see this**
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:56pm On Feb 21, 2020
Is this team list for real? Why too many strikers and not enough midfielders Not that I have any problems with the individual players invited but this just isn't a balanced team. Is he going to play with only strikers

O pari

zuchyblink:
JUST IN:
Super Eagles gaffer, Gernot Rohr calls up Cyriel Dessers, Kelechi Iheanacho and 22 others ahead Sierra Leone #AFCON21 show down
Full list of invited players:
Goalkeepers: Maduka Okoye (Fortuna Düsseldorf II), Daniel Akpeyi (Kaizer Chiefs) and Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Heartland FC)
Defenders: William Troost-Ekong (Udinese), Chidozie Awaziem (Leganes), Jamilu Collins (Paderborn), Ola Aina (Torino), Semi Ajayi (West Brom), Shehu Abdullahi (Bursaspor) and Kenneth Omeruo (Leganes).
Midfielders: Joe Aribo (Rangers), Oghenekaro Etebo (Getafe), Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City), Alex Iwobi (Everton) and Ramon Azeez (Granada)
Attackers: Victor Osimhen (Lille), Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal), Cyriel Dessers (Heracles Almelo), Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City), Emmanuel Dennis (Club Brugge), Ahmed Musa (Al Nassr), Ebere Paul Onuachu (Genk), and Moses Simon (Nantes).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CornOak(m): 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2020
jihday:
lipsrsealed

This one is confused. shocked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:05pm On Feb 21, 2020
Both of them deserve their call up:
Musa - many people, including my humble self, have written him off several times but he always comes back to prove us wrong.
Shehu - I see him as a quota candidate, but I am fine with his call up as long as he doesn't start.

O pari

realpoacher:
Honestly i don't have a problem with Shehu or Musa.

But my God, what da hell is Onauchu doing there? angry

That guy is the true definition of Chief Carpentry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:41pm On Feb 21, 2020
Shehu, Onuachu and Musa has no biz in this list. Also we need a new face as the 3rd choice goalie. Overall, B+ list

zuchyblink:
JUST IN:
Super Eagles gaffer, Gernot Rohr calls up Cyriel Dessers, Kelechi Iheanacho and 22 others ahead Sierra Leone #AFCON21 show down
Full list of invited players:
Goalkeepers: Maduka Okoye (Fortuna Düsseldorf II), Daniel Akpeyi (Kaizer Chiefs) and Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Heartland FC)
Defenders: William Troost-Ekong (Udinese), Chidozie Awaziem (Leganes), Jamilu Collins (Paderborn), Ola Aina (Torino), Semi Ajayi (West Brom), Shehu Abdullahi (Bursaspor) and Kenneth Omeruo (Leganes).
Midfielders: Joe Aribo (Rangers), Oghenekaro Etebo (Getafe), Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City), Alex Iwobi (Everton) and Ramon Azeez (Granada)
Attackers: Victor Osimhen (Lille), Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal), Cyriel Dessers (Heracles Almelo), Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City), Emmanuel Dennis (Club Brugge), Ahmed Musa (Al Nassr), Ebere Paul Onuachu (Genk), and Moses Simon (Nantes).

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:45pm On Feb 21, 2020
Oga don dey get mins for liepzig small small. wink
jihday:
lipsrsealed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:47pm On Feb 21, 2020
Icon79:
Both of them deserve their call up:
Musa - many people, including my humble self, have written him off several times but he always comes back to prove us wrong.
Shehu - I see him as a quota candidate, but I am fine with his call up as long as he doesn't start.

O pari

Prove who wrong ?

I have always defended musa ,when he joined Moscow on loan after the Leicester nightmare I had to use that on trolling many people after his good performance

Musa is not even doing spectacular in Saudi ,I hopes he returns to Europe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:48pm On Feb 21, 2020
BascoVanVeli:
Wow so Osimhen has already gone to see Ighalo. Got a jersey too grin

https://mobile.twitter.com/Buchi_Laba/status/1230827996040265728

Just look at the love and happiness from victor

Tell me why I won’t love victor ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chukwunedum150(m): 7:49pm On Feb 21, 2020
No list was released
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:56pm On Feb 21, 2020
Stop crying. It took a while before KC got dropped. This is Rohr’s era. If you have once proved to be a quality player under Rohr in the past, it will take continuous poor performance or low number of game time at club level before yiu will get axed from the team. Again, it would be relatively easier for such player to get back on Rohr’s good books.

Onuachu will continue to get a call up. Musa don’t have to do much at club level to get continuous invitation from Rohr. Same goes to Shehu, who is playing at club level. Ezenwa as well. In other words, you can say these are his boys because he believes in them based on their past records in his era.

andrewbaba44:

One of your best players in the afcon is terrible

Make una dey live on past glory, no wonder many of una want local coach to take over super eagles so that e go dey call mediocre players

Kalu is your best winger, then he should get back to his old form and start playing for his club, i dont think i will even be against you

Even Nwakaeme wey dey do well una no go see am or even ejuke , na past glory una like , when nacho drop form he was dropped so kalu should be dropped and he should work hard to be in the team, he is no messi or cr7 abeg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:58pm On Feb 21, 2020
I expect Kalu to make the team and not Dessers in the real list.
Other than that, it looks like a typical Rohr list
chukwunedum150:
No list was released
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:04pm On Feb 21, 2020
Lol
Subzero047:

If England shows interest the guy will dump the switching process

The guy is a fraud
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:05pm On Feb 21, 2020
The list is believable. It’s like you have not been following this team. Lol

Icon79:
Is this team list for real? Why too many strikers and not enough midfielders Not that I have any problems with the individual players invited but this just isn't a balanced team. Is he going to play with only strikers

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:14pm On Feb 21, 2020
Joebie:
Stop crying. It took a while before KC got dropped. This is Rohr’s era. If you have once proved to be a quality player under Rohr in the past, it will take continuous poor performance or low number of game time at club level before yiu will get axed from the team. Again, it would be relatively easier for such player to get back on Rohr’s good books.

Onuachu will continue to get a call up. Musa don’t have to do much at club level to get continuous invitation from Rohr. Same goes to Shehu, who is playing at club level. Ezenwa as well. In other words, you can say these are his boys because he believes in them based on their past records in his era.

I no Dey Cry bros

Stop taking it personal by typing newspaper

I don tell people say as far as onauchu Dey play well for club dem go call am

But have onauchu even proove to be a good player under rohr ?

Next time try to practice what you preach

I am one of the few people that have defended onauchu here

I am happy to see dessers so I go just lockup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:16pm On Feb 21, 2020
Lol. Onuachu scores against Egypt. That alone and his decent club performances is what is keeping him in Rohr’s good books.

andrewbaba44:

I no Dey Cry bros

Stop taking it personal by typing newspaper

I don tell people say as far as onauchu Dey play well for club dem go call am

But have onauchu even proove to be a good player under rohr ?

Next time try to practice what you preach

I am one of the few people that have defended onauchu here

I am happy to see dessers so I go just lockup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:18pm On Feb 21, 2020
Belgium-born Nigerian set for Super Eagles call-up
SUPER EAGLES By: Ikponmwosa Umweni | 14/02/2

Belgium-born Nigerian Cyriel Dessers could get Super Eagles call-up in March’s double-header against Sierra Leone in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

The 68-year-old German tactician who is preparing for his first game of the new year is expected to prosecute the game with his most trusted players as they hope to book their place in the tournament earlier.

According to brila.net report that Heracles striker Cyriel Dessers is likely been among the new players, Rohr set to hand their median call up to Super Eagles after impress performance after involving in 23 goals for his Eredivisie club this season, including 17 goals and 6 assists this season.

And he has shown his desire to represent the three-time African Champions ahead of Belgium, the country of his mother and birth.
Rohr is also said to be impressed with the form of many Nigerian players and he’s reportedly working on the list which could be out in the first week of March.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:19pm On Feb 21, 2020
Joebie:
Lol. Onuachu scores against Egypt. That alone and his decent club performances is what is keeping him in Rohr’s good books.

Trust me am the least person who will cry over a player ,I don complain and I don lock up bro

So we should be living on past glory because he score Egypt abi ?

Anyway he is doing well for his club sha so no issues

But what of musa ? And what is shehu doing there ?

Why can’t rohr replace onauchu with nwakaeme?

I hope you are not among the people that wrote or nwakaeme after one game ?

Una Dey enjoy onauchu sha ,many bad games and still there but nwakaeme una Dey insult am

Aren’t we better off with kayode or nwakaeme there ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:21pm On Feb 21, 2020
Read my earlier reply to the poster of the list
andrewbaba44:

Trust me am the least person who will cry over a player ,I don complain and I don lock up bro

Una Dey enjoy onauchu sha ,many bad games and still there but nwakaeme una Dey insult am

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:24pm On Feb 21, 2020
Joebie:
I expect Kalu to make the team and not Dessers in the real list.
Other than that, it looks like a typical Rohr list

Kalu will never miss in Rohr's list grin

This list is not legit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:24pm On Feb 21, 2020
Thank you
Subzero047:

Kalu will never miss in Rohr's list grin

This list is not legit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:25pm On Feb 21, 2020
Maja will also feature in Rohr's list

This list is someone's imagination
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:27pm On Feb 21, 2020
Both Kayode and Nwakaeme’s case is similar to Esiti. He might get another chance in future. I’m talking about what Rohr would do, not necessarily my preferences.

andrewbaba44:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:30pm On Feb 21, 2020
To think that Dessers will take either of the duo’s place. Well he may surprise us this time.

Subzero047:
Maja will also feature in Rohr's list

This list is someone's imagination
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:32pm On Feb 21, 2020
Joebie:
To think that Dessers will take either of the duo’s place. Well he may surprise us this time.

Onuachu or Shehu Abdulahi will be dropped
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 8:33pm On Feb 21, 2020
Terem Moffi vs Paul Ohuanachu
Kortirijk vs Genk
Moffi in Kortrijk while Ohuanachu is in genk with Stephen Odey on the bench for Genk.

Match just started now at 8:30pm. Let us see if Moffi (the new Osimhen) will score and what the other Nigerians will do
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:33pm On Feb 21, 2020
Joebie:
Both Kayode and Nwakaeme’s case is similar to Esiti. He might get another chance in future. I’m talking about what Rohr would do, not necessarily my preferences.

Rohr is not fair to them okay ,but such is football

Even osimhen didn’t impress on his debut

50 percent of international didn’t impress on their debut

Let me just say nwakaeme is not lucky
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:34pm On Feb 21, 2020
Joe, like I said, I don’t have any problem with the individuals that were invited, my only concern is the make up of the team: too many forwards and not enough midfielders.

O pari

Joebie:
The list is believable. It’s like you have not been following this team. Lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (8335) (8336) (8337) (8338) (8339) (8340) (8341) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.