Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,612 members, 7,865,472 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 06:42 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8406) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11958241 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8403) (8404) (8405) (8406) (8407) (8408) (8409) ... (16373) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by hardeycute(m): 10:37am On Mar 08, 2020
Subzero047:

The kind of sentiment and delusion we have here grin
grin No be only (dey) notice am sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:47am On Mar 08, 2020
Bolowolowo:
The homosexual agenda in football has commenced.

Just look at these two legends...

*spits*

Why u come post am here?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jimmyiovine: 10:56am On Mar 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Oh yes. A certain Yemisi Samuel bagged a hattrick for herself. That shows that all the goals she has been scoring in their practice games/friendlies no be fluke as she is their top scorer from the friendlies sef. Coach Banky try but it is not eureka yet until we land that WC ticket. Great Start.

You’re right. Na dat potential final round clash with Ghana be the koko
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Rockyrascal(m): 11:07am On Mar 08, 2020
Joebie:
Do Nigeria need to fight England for Arsenal sensation Bukayo Saka?

SOLACE CHUKWU
Correspondent
23 hours ago

The teenager has been a revelation for the Gunners, and his performances have predictably sparked a conversation about his international future
Article continues below

By no means is Alexandre Lacazette the absolute authority on the pedigree of young players in the Premier League.

However, his glowing praise of youngster Bukayo Saka – he referred to the 18-year-old as the best young player in the English top flight – did not ring hollow at all. While it can be disputed, it is not preposterous.

The winger has shone in his repurposing as a marauding left-back, and has assisted more goals than any other player in the Arsenal squad so far this season. Put simply, while this has been an underwhelming campaign for the Gunners, it could have been so much worse without their new wing wizard.

England's left-back options all have question marks over them: Ben Chilwell has struggled to find his best form since December, the utility of Danny Rose's move to Newcastle United remains to be seen, Luke Shaw has only just begun to look serviceable as the left-sided centre-back in a back three at Manchester United, and Ashley Young is a little long in the tooth just now.

Tough luck for Nigeria then, who would have been hoping to snag another gem of the British production line undetected. It now appears that, if the Nigeria Football Federation wish to have the West London-born Saka turn out for the Super Eagles, it will come down to a protracted battle.

Herein lies a paradox: the very performances that have made him worth pursuing for Nigeria are also making him less attainable. With each passing game, it will only get more onerous.

So much so, in fact, that it is worth considering: does Nigeria actually need to be involved in this tussle at all?

The first layer of difficulty is the fact that Saka has played for England up to U-19 level, and so would require more than a little paperwork to switch his international allegiance.

This is even presupposing his amenability to the idea; he has been keen to embrace his Nigerian heritage at every opportunity, but that is not to say he would be willing to lay down all the perks that come with being a full England international. It is not a coincidence that, within weeks of committing to the Three Lions, both Fikayo Tomori and Tammy Abraham inked new contracts at Chelsea. As it happens, Saka is presently in contract talks with Arsenal.

However, there is a more fundamental concern: do Nigeria actually need him?

It may seem preposterous to suggest, but there is a case to be made he is not exactly essential, especially in his current guise. There is no denying his profile is attractive – he is unnervingly calm in possession, has courage, and possesses a telling final ball.

That said, the recent comments credited to Arsenal's head of youth development Marcel Lucassen – he referred to Saka as having "the potential to become one of the best three wing-backs in the world" – revealed the perception and expectation of him at the club. Far from being a short-term fix, his deployment at left-back might very well be permanent.

No disrespect at all to the position – full-backs are of the utmost importance in modern football – but do the Super Eagles have a pressing need in that area?

Consider this: his peculiar deployment within Mikel Arteta's system at Arsenal liberates him to be a force in the final third, with Granit Xhaka filling in for him further back.

It is not the sort of tactical adaptation that would be made for him at international level for Nigeria, where there's already a functioning system in place and he would be required to sink or swim—hardly ideal conditions for a teenager.

There is of course the option of simply utilizing him further forward for Nigeria, in a role the player himself has stated a preference for.

This is hardly unusual: in recent times, the likes of Victor Moses and John Obi Mikel have been pressed into service for the national team in roles that were different from those they played at club level.

Both, unsurprisingly, relished their heightened prominence in the final third when in green and white.

The results have been decidedly mixed though, which will come as a surprise to no one. The more time a player spends in one role at club level, the less suited he becomes to another, even while retaining a basic level of competence still.

As such, getting Saka and fielding him further afield would arguably not be the best use of his skillset, especially if he continues on the path to fulfilling Lucassen's prophecy

While there can be no denying Saka is a marvellous talent either England or Nigeria would be glad to have, it remains unclear at this time just how best that ability can be harnessed on the international stage.

—goal
if there is any in form player open to represent the GwG, NFF shouldn't hesitate to have talks.

The national team must have alternatives to evaluate before any competition.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:26am On Mar 08, 2020
safarigirl:
just imagine

So, all the other twenty-three players we invited are not destined to bring glory to the country, it is one chunkuli baby wey dem dey push comot from ball, that will bring this glory

Somebody who is destined to bring glory to the country, will not be begged to fulfill his destiny. It is people like Dessers that have such destiny, some other people are just destined to be bit players for England, and that is fine.

Lol...destiny checker grin grin

Aw did u knw dressers have such a destiny grin grin

Meanwhile we all knw dt dressers knew right from d beginning dt he wouldn av a chance to rep Belgium hence its quick resolution to settle down for us...All FB PLAYERS re d same,or do u think if dressers were to b in a decent club like arsenal,and he's churning out same performance, won't he wait for Belgium chance smiley?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 11:42am On Mar 08, 2020
Bolowolowo:

*spits*

Na wa for you

This is normal in South America

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:53am On Mar 08, 2020
elyte89:

Meanwhile we all knw dt dressers knew right from d beginning dt he wouldn av a chance to rep Belgium hence its quick resolution to settle down for us...All FB PLAYERS re d same,or do u think if dressers were to b in a decent club like arsenal,and he's churning out same performance, won't he wait for Belgium chance smiley?

She said the fact ,but you won’t agree because you guys like asslicking Uk born players who doesn’t want to play for us

No b so una do for Abraham ?

Las las una eye go clear

Ebere eze is not more than a bang average player

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:53am On Mar 08, 2020
Subzero047:

Na wa for you

This is normal in South America

No mind am ,dem think say everywhere be like naija
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:59am On Mar 08, 2020
elyte89:

Dessers knew nothing from the beginning, if people like Onuoha could hold out for England, despite not turning in numbers, what makes you think Dessers couldn't have held out, and his day wouldn't have come with Belgium? The ones that turn out for us, it is because there was no hope, but the ones that turn out for England and co, it is because they are great.

I repeat, anybody that cannot pledge allegiance to us, has no destiny to win anything for us. At least the likes of Dessers will put in their all, because they have waited all their lives for such an opportunity. They have the passion and drive to actually strive to win medals, but those who never saw Nigeria as an option, will not have same drive.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:09pm On Mar 08, 2020
ChrisKels:

There is more to the pic than meets the eye. That pic ain't just a mere meme, it carries a strong message.
strong message?? like what pls??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 12:12pm On Mar 08, 2020
Yoel literally stands around for 25 as a challenger he should have engaged more
Bolowolowo:
Thank god I do not pay for UFC PPVs. Congrats to Izzy on the victory. An unconvincing win but a win nonetheless.

More grease to Yoel for bringing his A game at such an old age (42 years).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:13pm On Mar 08, 2020
Fox sports official sends twitter into frenzy with this GIF of Ejuke against Ajax yesterday. Dude literally ended Dusan Tadic's career there

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsnl/status/1236400703477821442?s=20

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:14pm On Mar 08, 2020
The actual reality here is that you and Humility017 are not well informed on the latest regarding K.Nwakali at Huesca hence your emphasis on a past the boy is trying to leave behind. You guys only need to be informed. That is all.

andrewbaba44:

No mind super nerd

I think super nerd need to be realistic now about nwakali

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:18pm On Mar 08, 2020
ChrisKels:
Fox sports official sends twitter into frenzy with this GIF of Ejuke against Ajax yesterday. Dude literally ended Dusan Tadic's career there

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsnl/status/1236400703477821442?s=20

Holy F**k!! Holy Boloniiii!!! Holy Moses!!!! Ejuke totally owned a whole Dusan Tadic of Ajax!!! The nutmeg was boss-like!!!

Chaaaiiii... Ejuke oooo.... We have Chukwueze already but Ejuke too?? This Generation na Overkill! Chaaaiiii... Tadic sorry oooo... Ewoooo....

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:18pm On Mar 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
The actual reality here is that you and Humility017 are not well informed on the latest regarding K.Nwakali at Huesca hence your emphasis on a past the boy is trying to leave behind. You guys only need to be informed. That is all.

Informed about what ?

Someone that’s not in match day squad abi ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 12:21pm On Mar 08, 2020
Israel Adesanya is a confirmed badass

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:24pm On Mar 08, 2020
You see why you need information. grin

How can he be in matchday squad when he only resumed intensive training with his new side in late January after almost 6-8 months out of regular football action? How can he in matchday squads when his fitness and physical conditioning is being worked on by the Huesca coaches daily in training?? Even at a point, he was awaiting proper registration but he has been travelling with the squad as a alternate player for league games while his fitness regimen continues. On Huesca's twitter page, there are pics of their training sessions with K.Nwakali captured in most of them.

The lad is seriously working his way back but you don know bcoz you don't want to know.

So Andy... Be informed on an issue please before you comment like an authority on that issue. Talking about something you are ill-informed about is really a showcase of gutter calumny. No offence.

andrewbaba44:

Informed about what ?

Someone that’s not in match day squad abi ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:35pm On Mar 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Holy F**k!! Holy Boloniiii!!! Holy Moses!!!! Ejuke totally owned a whole Dusan Tadic of Ajax!!! The nutmeg was boss-like!!!

Chaaaiiii... Ejuke oooo.... We have Chukwueze already but Ejuke too?? This Generation na Overkill! Chaaaiiii... Tadic sorry oooo... Ewoooo....

What really triggered my serotonin and also my special neurotransmitters to act on my nucleus accumbens, to get me super orgasmic, was his ensuing body movement(kinematics, in Nerdy's voice) while throwing a pass, after the nutmeg.

Nothing sweet me reach sexy football mbok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:38pm On Mar 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
You see why you need information. grin

How can he be in matchday squad when he only resumed intensive training with his new side in late January after almost 6-8 months out of regular football action? How can he in matchday squads when his fitness and physical conditioning is being worked on by the Huesca coaches daily in training?? Even at a point, he was awaiting proper registration but he has been travelling with the squad as a alternate player for league games while his fitness regimen continues. On Huesca's twitter page, there are pics of their training sessions with K.Nwakali captured in most of them.

The lad is seriously working his way back but you don know bcoz you don't want to know.

So Andy... Be informed on an issue please before you comment like an authority on that issue. Talking about something you are ill-informed about is really a showcase of gutter calumny. No offence.

From late January till now is how long ?

Mr informed

Keep on defending your boy

I want him playing soon thou ,we need to see what he can do as there is no time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:41pm On Mar 08, 2020
It is information I just gave you not a defense script. As expected, you won't get the message and learn. Suit yourself.

andrewbaba44:

From late January till now is how long ?

Mr informed

Keep on defending your boy

I want him playing soon thou ,we need to see what he can do as there is no time

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:45pm On Mar 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
It is information I just gave you not a defense script. As expected, you won't get the message and learn. Suit yourself.

He sees everything as an ATTACK and COUNTER ATTACK grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:53pm On Mar 08, 2020
Kaaaiiiiii.... Chris, I di on point Biko! I didn't even mention that one. The swag with which he threw that pass was Jay Jay Okocha-Like.... No hypes.

Four absolutely Menacing, Madly creative, super dazzling, Dribbling-laden, and super fast wingers in Kalu, Chuks, Bonaventure, and Ejuke alongside Direct wingers like Simon and Onyekuru... My goodness! Africa should be scared. Lol

ChrisKels:

What really triggered my serotonin and also my specially neurotransmitters to act on my nucleus accumbens, to get me super orgasmic, was his ensuing body movement(kinematics, in Nerdy's voice) while throwing a pass, after the nutmeg.

Nothing sweet me reach sexy football mbok

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 12:59pm On Mar 08, 2020
jihday:
footballers too dey lie, just say 'I'm really delighted by this call up'. If he was banging in goals for Chelsea would he not be hoping for an England call?

Exactly my thoughts too.
grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:05pm On Mar 08, 2020
Joe Aribo starts for Rangers vs Ross County in the Scottish Premiership. Game has started.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 1:05pm On Mar 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Tell them ,anything British they asslick

Even dessers wasn’t asslicked before he decided to play for naija ,dude got the real zeal

Any small thing ebere eze ,dem no go let us hear word ,you go even think say the guy Na Messi or Ronaldo self

Lol

Azzin ehn, I tire o. People dey use us play ludo and we're giving ourselves fake hope of getting them.

Someone that wants to play for you will not be diplomatic about playing for you, irrespective of what's at stake. All of them be doing proudly naija when they're nobody, but when they start making small ride, they change to saying, "I don't want to talk about country football now. I'm focused in club football" like, what happened to the proudly naija they were claiming before?

And people here also don't see that they are playing with our intelligence. I wonder if Abraham and Tomori never taught us any lesson

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 1:06pm On Mar 08, 2020
Humility017:

On a normal day it seems yobo is not serious
He does not know what he is supposed to do....
A reasonable employee will seek instructions, put a call across to his superior asking him what is expected of him as the qualifier approaches if there is any task to be delegated ?

The green horn coach is expecting Rohr to call him first

I have said it before...the appointment of this yobo was a square peg in a round hole

Lol
He will just come in like a player without any pre-camp assignment. Let him be reminded he is no longer a player

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 1:08pm On Mar 08, 2020
Bolowolowo:

*spits*

Maradona and who?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by poseidonsaiz(m): 1:19pm On Mar 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Timo Werner is better than Martinez ,Martinez cannot even average 1 goals every 2 games and you are here saying something else

Go to that same google and see Werner stats

Why won’t they buy Martinez when he is argentine and he plays with Messi ?

Please tell me what is special about 17 goals in 48 games ?

Are you going to compare it to 71 games in 117 games ?

Thank you

You were saying?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:34pm On Mar 08, 2020
LaMujer:

Maradona and who?

Carlos Teves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:36pm On Mar 08, 2020
Bolowolowo:

*spits*
it's nothing, you are the one taking it serious
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:46pm On Mar 08, 2020
Dessers on his Invitation and a little on his Mom's Joy

Dessers:

"It's very special for us (himself & Nigerian mother). We've always followed the Nigerian team, I can already sing the national anthem.

"We used to want to go there but there was negative travel advice. Now I'm still going, but in the protected world of football."

"When I got the invitation, I got more reactions from the Belgian angle. It's a pity I'm not going to Belgium as I never considered the Red Devils.

"It's going to be a nice journey (to Nigeria). I just want to wear that shirt and prove myself."

Source: Tubantia.nl (via ANS and Soar Super Eagles).

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 1:51pm On Mar 08, 2020
Ejuke...looking for who to dribble while his team is down by 1-3...nonsense and Tijany...this is how one Dutch journalist said Ajax will never buy him...that he over-carries the ball..over dribbles...allowing opposing defenders to regroup..... undecided undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8403) (8404) (8405) (8406) (8407) (8408) (8409) ... (16373) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: robosky02(m), lovewins, humility33(m), opes, Lyster360(m), Goke7 and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.