Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8615) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11702905 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8612) (8613) (8614) (8615) (8616) (8617) (8618) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:52am On May 22, 2020
Subzero047:
Meanwhile Eneramo...
Alongside Makinwa and Gbolahan Salami, one of the worst players that I've seen play for the eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:58am On May 22, 2020
komekn:

Imagine a situation where our National U17 team went for an international reputation in Europe.

And they were all offered juicy contracts in high paying football clubs. But the proviso was that the must change allegiance to different European nations.

My estimation is that 50% will change allegation there and then.

LOL

Yet we get angry with players who have zero affinity with Nigeria and are even mixed race with little input from thier Nigerian Fathers in thier lives.
50%? More like 100%

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:16pm On May 22, 2020
jihday:
Alongside Makinwa and Gbolahan Salami, one of the worst players that I've seen play for the eagles

Gbolahan salami is not that bad when he played for the eagles nah ,even eneramo self

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 12:36pm On May 22, 2020
Please abeg the likes of eze , akpoguma , billing should stop appearing on this thread we should face people that want to play for super eagles ...that billing is even good just a bang below average player

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 12:37pm On May 22, 2020
chrisooblog:
no need for gbas gbos on this billing issue. he has made his choice no need to be sour about it. that said he should have been more circumspect and respectful with his words but hey what is done is done

He was respectful enough, there's no reason to fault the way he said it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 12:38pm On May 22, 2020
isan:
Please abeg the likes of eze , akpoguma , billing should stop appearing on this thread we should face people that want to play for super eagles ...that billing is even good just a bang below average player

How many bang above average players do we have

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 12:46pm On May 22, 2020
orriyomi33:
Heracles' striker Cyriel Dessers - who finished the Dutch Eredivisie season as joint top scorer - has told the BBC that missing out on his Nigeria debut because of the coronavirus pandemic was "painful".

Dessers, 25 - who was tied on 15 goals with Ajax's Steven Berghuis at the top of the goal-scoring charts when the Dutch campaign ended early - received his first Super Eagles call-up in March.

He was included in Gernot Rohr's squad for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Sierra Leone, but the match was put on hold because of the Covid-19 crisis, denying Dessers a chance to represent the country of his mother's birth.

"It hurt me because I thought it was going to be one of the best moments of my life - or at least my career - and that it didn't go through was really painful," Dessers told BBC Sport Africa.

When he finally joins up with the Super Eagles, it will be his first time visiting Nigeria. But the Belgium-born striker says he has been hooked on the African nation's rich football history since he was a boy.
"When I was 12 years old, during technical trainings at my academy, every player had to choose one skill or move. Some kids did the scissors kick or Ronaldinho but mine was always the Okocha moves," he recalled.

"I loved him when I was a kid."
Dessers, who studied law at the University in Belgium, also vividly remembers watching Nigeria win their third Nations Cup in 2013.

"It was really special because at that moment I was in college studying. I wasn't even a professional football player, I remember being so happy - with Mikel the captain, Emenike with the goals. It was a special moment for sure."

Six years later, he was thrilled to see some of his future national teammates winning bronze at Egypt 2019 and is hopeful that he will be "accepted" into Nigeria's "really nice group."

"I know it's a young team, a lot of players playing in Europe, so I think that the adaptation would be fine and I hope when I come into the team they accept me.

"I am looking forward to seeing Victor Osimhen, I like to watch a lot of football and watch the strikers and I think he is a great striker, and I hope I can help him and support him."
Eredivisie
Cyriel Dessers became the second African behind Ivorian Wilfred Bony to finish as top goalscorer in the Eredivisie.

He joins an illustrious list of names to have accomplished the feat including Marco van Basten, Dennis Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Luis Suarez.

The award for the top goalscorer in the Dutch Eredivisie, though a keenly contested prize, has often proved elusive for players of 'De Grote Die', (the Big Three) in the last decade.
Breaking into this coveted list for Dessers with Heracles who were in eighth position was a "good feeling" and although he feels he could have increased his tally, he agrees with the authorities' decision to put the safety of people first.
"I think the health of the people, firstly the players and also the people in and out of football is more important than football in any case - the economic reasons in the Netherlands are lesser than other leagues, so I agree with the decision."
Despite only starting his professional football career in 2013, Dessers' football journey has come with what he describes as some "ups and downs."
"There was a period where I went in and out of my previous teams and then it was really difficult to get a good rhythm and to get my confidence high. I also got injured and these things moulded me - they were turning points in my career, I learned.

"Then I joined a team, Heracles, who could give me confidence, time to play, with a good coach and team around me and then beautiful things became possible."
Dessers says the lockdown has been like an extension to his lifestyle and is taking plenty of comfort in the fact there is some football action to look forward to since the Eredivisie resumed training in small groups.
"I miss football, the feeling of the game, the match day, but I'm also happy that now, I can start to feel the ball again. It's only training, but it's better than nothing."

Source:: BBC sports

Thank you Desser for not finnish-ing us

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 12:50pm On May 22, 2020
Well i don't know but billing will be like third choice in his position
Edopesin:

How many bang above average players do we have
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 12:50pm On May 22, 2020
This one that Ebere Eze is thinking of joining Tottenham Hotspur, hope people like Dele Alli will not convince him to follow the English path
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:54pm On May 22, 2020
solonnachi:
This one that Ebere Eze is thinking of joining Tottenham Hotspur, hope people like Dele Alli will not convince him to follow the English path
Even without Dele Alli,if he joins an EPL team, his rating will soar... He might want to play for England.. but that depends on if he can displace any member of England current midfield..

If we lose Eze,blame it on Rohr... We should have gotten him since after the world cup when he was uncapped and we badly needed more option in midfield

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eizzy003(m): 1:00pm On May 22, 2020
Edopesin:

This comment reeks of heartbreak

Dele Alli never changed his name
Break my heart �
Sa da guy na my girl friend abi I resemble u gay

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 1:10pm On May 22, 2020
Danielnino00:

Even without Dele Alli,if he joins an EPL team, his rating will soar... He might want to play for England.. but that depends on if he can displace any member of England current midfield..

If we lose Eze,blame it on Rohr... We should have gotten him since after the world cup when he was uncapped and we badly needed more option in midfield

It seems Rohr dosent like his style of play. Germans or France are known for their tip-tap or business kind of play not dribbling and entertaining. But this is Africa. We need to give the crowd something to cheer about.

Eze may even have had his mind made up. Maybe he is waiting for the right time to break our hearts and FINNISH us

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eizzy003(m): 1:20pm On May 22, 2020
Edopesin:

This comment reeks of heartbreak

Dele Alli never changed his name
If he feels more danish, y is he not following the danish �� football union on twitter
But he is following the NFF and the super Eagles even our dear ovie ejaria

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:23pm On May 22, 2020
Lack of substance
junnyjake:

Oh, there's some justification for the childish act.

Tripping you say? We should receive all denigrating remarks made against representing us with a smile on our face, then go on to worship them just to satisfy you Joebie?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:24pm On May 22, 2020
Yes until u start to put on your thinking cap
andrewbaba44:

I haven’t started with joebie yet ,trust me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:25pm On May 22, 2020
It’s now irrelevant

You can read my past posts when it we entertained the possibility. But e go surprise me if u too cannot comprehend my posts
Icon4s:

Come Joebie, wetin be your own sef?

What value do you think Philip Billing can add to that SE midfield?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 1:36pm On May 22, 2020
solonnachi:

It will be a good thing, if Ebere Eze ends up playing for England, If that is what he truly wants. People should get their hearts' desires.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:38pm On May 22, 2020
Edopesin:

emphasizing his siblings Danish roots plus adding not feeling Nigerian was unnecessary IMO but what is done is done

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:40pm On May 22, 2020
Me I no see the disrespect o. People are just reading the wrong meanings because they don’t feel good about their own country just like a guy with low self esteem spinning a girl.

Edopesin:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:44pm On May 22, 2020
solonnachi:

Thank you Desser for not finnish-ing us
actually of all the foreign born players we got to play for us his is pleasantly surprising cos he is practically Belgian plus has so far shown he has above average quality

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:48pm On May 22, 2020
Well he don speak he mind. Zero affinity to Nigeria and that’s how he feels...

chrisooblog:
emphasizing his siblings Danish roots plus adding not feeling Nigerian was unnecessary IMO but what is done is done
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:06pm On May 22, 2020
Joebie:
Well he don speak he mind. Zero affinity to Nigeria and that’s how he feels...

personally I don't feel bad. would have been an asset and increased our strength in depth but losing out on him isn't a loss. I felt bad about losing tomori even Abraham that I didn't feel bad about would have been more of an acquisition than billing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:10pm On May 22, 2020
Well, Rohr wanted Billing.
chrisooblog:
personally I don't feel bad. would have been an asset and increased our strength in depth but losing out on him isn't a loss. I felt bad about losing tomori even Abraham that I didn't feel bad about would have been more of an acquisition than billing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by simiife: 2:10pm On May 22, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 2:12pm On May 22, 2020
junnyjake:

Oh, there's some justification for the childish act.

Tripping you say? We should receive all denigrating remarks made against representing us with a smile on our face, then go on to worship them just to satisfy you Joebie?

Joebie, I ain't know man, but you just got kicked right here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:19pm On May 22, 2020
Danielnino00:

i will not blame anyone we invited him to trained with the super eagles when nobody even knew him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:23pm On May 22, 2020
Joebie:
It’s now irrelevant

You can read my past posts when it we entertained the possibility. But e go surprise me if u too cannot comprehend my posts

I no see your previous post.

Please drop it again here and please copy me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:27pm On May 22, 2020
Did u feel it? Because me I didnt feel the kick. I only do when people tackle me with substance.

elunico:

Joebie, I ain't know man, but you just got kicked right here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:28pm On May 22, 2020
Baba it’s no longer relevant lol
Icon4s:

I no see your previous post.

Please drop it again here and please copy me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:29pm On May 22, 2020
Abraham isn’t much of a loss now especially as his performance have dropped significantly compared to then and now we have the likes of Osimhen and Dessers rising.

Mod
And I mean at the later part before the season was out on hold.

chrisooblog:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 2:37pm On May 22, 2020
Please let's stop talking about Tammy. We have Emmanuel Dennis and Chidera Ejuke to invite.

Why hasn't Rohr given these guys a chance sef?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:40pm On May 22, 2020
I think Ejuke should get the nod over Musa right now. Dennis is already bpart of the SE set up

solonnachi:
Please let's stop talking about Tammy. We have Emmanuel Dennis and Chidera Ejuke to invite.

Why hasn't Rohr given these guys a chance sef?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8612) (8613) (8614) (8615) (8616) (8617) (8618) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kennysville(m), Marjoribanks, Triniti(m), mummyson26(m), forgiveness and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.