Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,174 members, 7,860,222 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:00 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8795) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11924015 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8792) (8793) (8794) (8795) (8796) (8797) (8798) ... (16332) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:00am On Jun 27, 2020
Please stop being childish on my mentions. How is this hype? Sharing info on the lad's youth through pics now amounts to hype? When you shared info on Michael Olise? What was that? When I repeated same with Sohm, Olise and Musiala, what do you call that? Everything is now hype to you. Please weigh your remarks before quoting me next time. Thank you.

charlesemeka85:
hype don start lol

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:26am On Jun 27, 2020
Rohr interview with German newspaper, Mannheimer Morgen

Gernot Rohr (66), born in Mannheim, will remain national coach in Nigeria for another two and a half years. He recently extended his contract with the Nigerian Football Association to December 31, 2022. The goals are the Africa Cup in summer 2021 and the World Cup 2022 in Qatar.

“I am motivated by my enthusiasm,” he explains his commitment at an age when others have long since retired. In an interview with this editorial team, Rohr answers questions about the contract extension.

Mr. Rohr, congratulations on the contract extension. Was the negotiation difficult?

Gernot Rohr: No, but they were a bit slow. President Pinnick and I wanted to meet in January, but I couldn't. Then came the corona virus and lockdown. Actually we agreed, it was only about details. Finally, the sports minister also interfered. I had requests from Congo and Mali, which I refused.

How long does the contract run?

Rohr: Until after the World Cup, that is until December 31, 2022. It is linked to a successful Africa Cup.

The Nigerian Federation and Ministry of Sports would like you to use players from the Nigerian league. Why don't you do that?

Rohr: Because they are not good enough and because I have better ones. There are so many good players in Europe. I have invited more than 20 local players since 2016. If they are good, sooner or later they'll all end up in Europe.

What are the goals for the next two years?

Rohr: The qualification for the Africa Cup 2021 and the World Cup 2022 in Qatar.

At the end of your contract you will be 69 years old. At that age, her French colleague Guy Roux was in charge of the RC Lens. Do you want to emulate him?

Rohr: There is another one, namely Claude Leroy. He is in charge of the Togo national team and is 72. I will keep going as long as I feel fit, healthy and young enough. My enthusiasm drives me.

At FC Bayern, Joshua Zirkzee plays as a promising talent. He has a Nigerian mother. Would he be a candidate for you?

Rohr: A preferred candidate, but it's not that simple. We cannot and will not poach him, that must come from the player himself. There are a few others in the Bundesliga that apply: Kevin Akpoguma in Hoffenheim, Jordan Torunarigha at Hertha BSC and Felix Uduokhai in Augsburg. But we can’t get them so easily.

For the Africa Cup there are still qualifying games against Sierra Leone, Benin and Lesotho, which have been canceled due to Corona. Do you already know when to continue?

Rohr: No, not yet precise. Hopefully in September, but then without spectators. We are talking about postponing the Africa Cup from the beginning of the year to the summer. That would be good.

They have spent the last three months at home in Lège-Cap-Ferret because they were not allowed to travel. How was that for you?

Rohr: Wonderful, we could enjoy the time together in the family. I have brought my pedagogical skills back to bear with my children. We kicked in the garden, studied and spent the time well. Oscar (17) graduated from high school with good grades. I felt sorry for the people who live in an apartment and couldn't get out.

Finally, a question about FC Bayern. How do you rate the work of Hansi Flick, who you know well?

Rohr: It is admirable what he did and how he steered the cart in the right direction. His playing style is very pragmatic, he has strengthened the defense, rehabilitated Müller and gives the boys chances. I feel very close to him and congratulated him on the championship by SMS.

Source: MM (Mannheimer Morgen), Germany [Translated]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:45am On Jun 27, 2020
Listen man, come here for a bit... let me tell you something. Now, the Bundesliga is about to end. We made a bet to see who does more this season for their clubsides between Ujah and Iheanacho.

Now while Nacho has indeed justified my predictions and expectations for him, Ujah has made a mess of yours so far. So man, I think you should leave Zaidu matter and focus on this last bundesliga Matchday. It is not over until it is really over. wink Pray that Ujah bags like six goals, this final matchday, to prove you right and show I was wrong about him. Don't lose focus man, keep your eyes on the ball. grin

elyte89:

So aw old is he claiming? undecided

E b like say na me and u go drag matter today grin grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:55am On Jun 27, 2020
My bro. E get as e be

IDENNAA:

Everything is about to be shut down again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:57am On Jun 27, 2020
My boss, who never cared to wear a mask don wake up.

komekn:

A few months ago, February l was in London for a meeting. Had to go on the tube, at that stage it was before lockdown and people were jam packed like sardines. At this stage l was already wearing face mask nobody else was on the tube.

I spoke about it here that l predicted deaths would reach 30k. Well that figure has been well exceeded with 65k it could be more.

We are easing lockdown for economic reasons not health and wellbeing.

I truly believe God has been merciful to Nigeria our capacity to test is very limited we really don't know how many people have been infected, recovered unknowingly and died.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:57am On Jun 27, 2020
I wish them the best

andrewbaba44:

Covid don turn audio for naija

People don dey live normal life for lagos
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:42am On Jun 27, 2020
afobear
sheyishemba:

[b]nwakali is better than messi and Ronaldo combined and let not forget ihenacho is still better than mbappe ohhh grin[b]

cc afrobear

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:47am On Jun 27, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Listen man, come here for a bit... let me tell you something. Now, the Bundesliga is about to end. We made a bet to see who does more this season for their clubsides between Ujah and Iheanacho.

Now while Nacho has indeed justified my predictions and expectations for him, Ujah has made a mess of yours so far. So man, I think you should leave Zaidu matter and focus on this last bundesliga Matchday. It is not over until it is really over. wink Pray that Ujah bags like six goals, this final matchday, to prove you right and show I was wrong about him. Don't lose focus man, keep your eyes on the ball. grin

chill my man, you know Ujah just returned to the BuLi just wait till next season, even Bayern go bid for am grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 5:44am On Jun 27, 2020
Blueelf:

These cases you mentioned are quite few and far between.

Zaidu SANUSI isn't better than Jamilu Collins. Both are below average defenders

The Portuguese league is ranked as the 6th best league in Europe according to wikipedia. Na you no sabi wetin he de talk.
It is ranked higher than the dutch and belgian leagues. It is a good league even now. Even now Francisco Trincao is going to barcelona from Braga and a few years ago there was Jao Felix so if a nigerian player is doing well in the Portugues league he deserves commendation. If you are not a good player you will not do well or play regularly in such a league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:16am On Jun 27, 2020
Victor Osimhen's 31 goals & assists for Club and Country in 2019/2020 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6cRvjWes8

Victor James Osimhen.. The Monster-Machine. cool

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:27am On Jun 27, 2020
It's actually according to Uefa themselves.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

The information just happen to be on Wikipedia but Wiki is not the real source. They generally use secondary sources to vet information from primary sources.

Reason I am pointing this out is to say that quoting Wikipedia as a source for some discussions may work against you as it is not really a credible source of information. Information there can be edited by anyone, even me. But yes, it does contain information that can be correct.

In a nutshell, quoting Uefa helps your argument more rather than quoting wikipedia. That's all I wanted to point out. wink

Philosopher1979:

The Portuguese league is ranked as the 6th best league in Europe according to wikipedia. Na you no sabi wetin he de talk.
It is ranked higher than the dutch and belgian leagues. It is a good league even now. Even now Francisco Trincao is going to barcelona from Braga and a few years ago there was Jao Felix so if a nigerian player is doing well in the Portugues league he deserves commendation. If you are not a good player you will not do well or play regularly in such a league

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:34am On Jun 27, 2020
And all this talk of Zaidu displacing Jamilu Collins. Abeg have we invited Zaidu yet? I understand Rohr and Zaidu have spoken already and the lad is in Rohr's next line of future call-up plans but on whether or not he will displace Collins almost immediately, abeg make him get invite first and convince in a few games and then we can really talk about that. But right now, Collins remains solidly in the scheme of things and have also had a solid season at relegated Paderborn. He is one of our highest rated defenders in Europe according to Whoscored.

Even with his solidly decent ratings in 19/20 season, do we need an upgrade on him? Yes, I believe so. But until we see convincing showings from his competition, talks of displacing Collins is still not ripe.
For now, Aina is still the guy to go to when Collins is not in play at LB.

Take it easy people. We are gonna get there but let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Lol

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:36am On Jun 27, 2020
For una wey no x any talent in etebo...I doubt if any of our midfielderz in any cadre has achieved dis feat

Nb...dis was a match played immediately after d team was on d plane for almost 18hrs..just imaging aw "jet lagged" dey would av been..enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38DVcQNJEVI

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 6:36am On Jun 27, 2020
Danielnino00:

It wasn't just injuries... Prior to his recall to the national team by Rohr,he was performing well in the serieA..at least statistically... Then the hype started..
He got his chance was woeful...
Yeah
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:39am On Jun 27, 2020
For me, this is one of my top 5 finest "single game" individual performances from a player in the Colors of the Green White Green at any level in the last 10 years.

Etebo vs Japan at Rio 2016 was Crazyyyy!!!

I insist that if Etebo and Azubuike were available for the Germany game in the Semis, the result might have been very different and in our favor too.

elyte89:
For una wey no x any talent in etebo...I doubt if any of our midfielderz in any cadre has achieved dis feat

Nb...dis was a match played immediately after d team was on d plane for almost 18hrs..just imaging aw "jet lagged" dey would av been..enjoy

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 7:31am On Jun 27, 2020
Joebie:
I don't know if we are still in the flu season here grin but it's looking like there is gonna be a second wave of covid-19. A coworker of mine and his wife tested positive.. Oh boy the symptom he said he has no be joke o.. Make una for naija no play with this matter.

What were you expecting when protests were on unabated?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 7:34am On Jun 27, 2020
ChrisKels:

Story! Shit is a hoax, made up to put unnecessary fear in the mind of people.

It's real bro! Maybe not as deadly as we are made to believe, but, it's no hoax.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 7:40am On Jun 27, 2020
Danielnino00:

I remember Chriskels once hyped Collins when he was in the Budensliga2 ..

But after we saw him play for the SE, baba changed directions grin

Can't blame him, we haven't really had a decent man at that position for a while now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:43am On Jun 27, 2020
sheyishemba:

can't forget him and onazi's blunder against England
baba rohr commot am for field ...throughout the world cup baba no even play am

His performance against England was one of the worst individual performance I've seen under Rohr
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 7:44am On Jun 27, 2020
komekn:

A few months ago, February l was in London for a meeting. Had to go on the tube, at that stage it was before lockdown and people were jam packed like sardines. At this stage l was already wearing face mask nobody else was on the tube.

I spoke about it here that l predicted deaths would reach 30k. Well that figure has been well exceeded with 65k it could be more.

We are easing lockdown for economic reasons not health and wellbeing.

I truly believe God has been merciful to Nigeria our capacity to test is very limited we really don't know how many people have been infected, recovered unknowingly and died.

Except a vaccine is available now, it's impractical to enforce a lock-down, economy as the reasons or not.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:46am On Jun 27, 2020
do4luv14:

Lolzzz you think?, and not you know,

bro your coach had been buying success since I know him to be a coach,

It is a myth. Buying success is literally extinct in this current market. Decent players cost fortunes.

Signing Stones, Walker, Mendy and Laporte can not be equated to buying success.

These are fairly decent players save for Laporte (who is not even pacy). Walker is no Cafu or even Maicon. Stones is no Lucio or even Hummels (who is still not mind blowing to me). Can't even compare Stones to Jerome Boateng. Mendy is not even close to Marcelo. So how you guys equate signing them to buying success is ridiculous.

We just replaced the likes of Clichy, Kolarov, Deimechelis, Sagna and Zabaleta with fairly decent defenders that cost fortunes.

Not buying success in any way.

How did Guardiola buy success at Bayern and Barcelona?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 7:46am On Jun 27, 2020
daveP:
Ehen, pls, i wan ask. David Moyes was at the CheMCI match.. And camera caught on him for a few seconds.... Whats he doing there abeg? Any speculations whatsoever? Is it what i thought it is?

We play him next week, maybe he was trying to find a weak spot in our team set-up that he can exploit cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 8:01am On Jun 27, 2020
elyte89:

Siasia did well with that team. He brought out the best in Etebo, too bad injury made him sit out the rest of the tourney.

Emmanuel Daniel was great, we saw a different kind of Ekong, Ezekiel was mesmerizing at the wings, Sadiq ended up our top scorer, Mikel was massive, Azubike held that midfield, too bad he was suspended for the game against Germany, we would have put up a bigger fight.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 8:15am On Jun 27, 2020
Leon Balogun on Twitter

"On this day in 2018 - representing Naija in front of my parents in a sold out stadium during the World Cup 2018 against Argentina
the bro @Ndidi25 aka Double Engine & my humbled self taking on a certain Lionel Messi - rumour has it he's a baller"

#ProudestMoment

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeonBalogun/status/1276596463011803136/photo/1

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 8:20am On Jun 27, 2020
Philosopher1979:

Oga, zaidu SANUSI isn't better than Collins.

And wikipedia isn't a good source for European football rankings, go to UEFA site for that.

Make una dey hype mediocre players like say him be dani alves. When he score one own goal against Naija, una eyes go clear..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 8:23am On Jun 27, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
It's actually according to Uefa themselves.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

The information just happen to be on Wikipedia but Wiki is not the real source. They generally use secondary sources to vet information from primary sources.

Reason I am pointing this out is to say that quoting Wikipedia as a source for some discussions may work against you as it is not really a credible source of information. Information there can be edited by anyone, even me. But yes, it does contain information that can be correct.

In a nutshell, quoting Uefa helps your argument more rather than quoting wikipedia. That's all I wanted to point out. wink

Thank you for pointing this out. Hopefully, he humbles himself to learn from this

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:59am On Jun 27, 2020
Blueelf:

Oga, zaidu SANUSI isn't better than Collins.

And wikipedia isn't a good source for European football rankings, go to UEFA site for that.

Make una dey hype mediocre players like say him be dani alves. When he score one own goal against Naija, una eyes go clear..
Chai,you mean the guy is not better than very average Collins cos right footed Aina is even better than Collins.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:12am On Jun 27, 2020
elyte89:

i just dey laugh when he is downgraded on here. Seems stability is kinda underrated for this midfield that has been a pain for SE fans for a while.

Perhaps they need flair.... The flair will come later. For now, Etebo is efficiently reliable!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 9:13am On Jun 27, 2020
Joel obi is the most hyped player on this thread my guys flopped and they tell he will combined well if he play with Mikel las las na scam
Icon4s:

There were so many players that were hyped before getting the SE call up. Only for them to disappoint. I no wan mention names of those players, today is Friday grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:59am On Jun 27, 2020
isan:
Joel obi is the most hyped player on this thread my guys flopped and they tell he will combined well if he play with Mikel las las na scam

Joel Obi actually did well in his earlier tenure in the Super Eagles back then. But for injury he would have had a great career.

But on his return for the last World Cup dude had past his prime.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 27, 2020
Subzero047:

His performance against England was one of the worst individual performance I've seen under Rohr

alaye no even waste time at all he just commot am straight
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:06am On Jun 27, 2020
elyte89:

What do you expect from a then Warri Wolves player whose team will travel by road from Warri to Maiduguri to go play El-Kanemi warriors. And then coming off straight from the bus to the pitch grin And entering back the bus to Ibadan to go play Shooting stars before going back home to Warri grin

The trip to Rio by plane no better pass the road trip to Maiduguri or Ibadan? grin
Wetin be jeg-lag to Etebor by that time grin grin grin

But jokes aside Etebor was a major revelation at that Rio Olympic. Also Troost-Ekong and Shehu. That's why missing the next Olympic would be a major loss to Nigeria.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8792) (8793) (8794) (8795) (8796) (8797) (8798) ... (16332) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Goke7, soetanoreoluwa(m), humility33(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.