Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,581 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8963) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11607250 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8960) (8961) (8962) (8963) (8964) (8965) (8966) ... (16124) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:35am On Jul 16, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
The possibility of this happening is there, no doubt. But that would mean Spurs coughing out a better offer financially and guaranteeing enough gametime. And I think gametime would be the main issue plus the fact of spending so high on a young lad that would be backup striker for Kane. Personal terms agreement may also be a little hitch.

Osimhen to Spurs with Kane there is just slim unless Mou is gonna play two up top which I doubt. Or unless he plans a strict rotation policy. Mou has always majorly played with one main striker per first XI.

The possibility remains but I don't see Osimhen to Spurs happening unless Spurs can outdo Napoli on most terms offered to the lad with a strong written promise of playing time guaranteed too. Plus there is the matter of his transfer fee. They gotta match or slightly overmatch Napoli's. And then there is Osimhen himself. Would he dump a side that has shown enough to let him know how so very important he's gonna be for them? Time will tell.

the possibility is there but it's very low. Daniel Levy can't cough out 50-60mill for a high risk player like Osimhen, he's very economical plus the fact that they are paying for their new stadium and no UCL football for them. Whoever is thinking Spur can buy Osimhen should just dead that tot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:37am On Jul 16, 2020
ChrisKels:

I had same thoughts until June 20. He sure sounded like a typical Nigerian coach here. Just look at who he is recommending to us

"Ngoo is the top assist provider in Tirana and one of the top scorers. In the game yesterday against Vllaznia Shkoder he scored one goal and gave two assists, " said Egbo to allnigeriasoccer.com.

"Any player can be called up from any league, I lost my spot in the national team when I moved to Albania because the coaches see it as a small league, they don't know how developed and massive it is.

"There are Nigerian strikers doing well in Albania, Kyrian Nwabueze who has an American passport was the top scorer in the league before he got injured, so you have a lot of them wondering why they are not invited.

"They should be invited because they are good players and should be given an opportunity."

Egbo added : "I believe Ngoo is good enough for the national team, he played in the Liverpool Academy with Raheem Sterling" - See person reasoning grin

"He has the experience and grew up in a good environment, he is tall, almost two meters, very strong, good one vs one. We have to give every citizen a chance"

Just imagine this man urging us to invite Alabanian league players to the national team. Abeg he should focus on his club football, we can only wish him well from here
huh! See talk na. If this one become coach he'll invite players from Pakistani league sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:37am On Jul 16, 2020
yes Argentina were my honorable mentions. can't believe a team that has had the likes of messi, aguero, tevez, zanetti, crespo, simeone, ayala, caniggia, redondo to mention a few haven't won a world cup in 30 plus years
andrewbaba44:

I agree with holland ,but I will go with the Argentine as the under achievers ,I don’t know who to pick for the over achievers

And yes Senegal is the biggest under achievers in Africa while the over achievers goes to Cameroon

Agreed about your mention of Morocco
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:39am On Jul 16, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

Tottenham do not need to offer a better deal, they just need to negotiate a good deal with Napoli. For instance, Arsenal paid Pepe's deal in installments.

On salary, if Osimhen was moving to Napoli because of the money, the deal would have been long done, so he might be willing to take a pay cut for his dream EPL move.

another angle here, but I still seriously doubt Spur will make an offer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 11:51am On Jul 16, 2020
komekn:

One of the most gifted CM in the world, where did you get that from❓

Dude has struggled to replicate his dominant form in the Bundesliga. Compare 58 Bundesliga games and 14 goals to 42 games in the EPL and just 3 goals. It's clearly obvious.

Keita is not first or second choice but the 3/4 choice midfielder.

He is not essential to Liverpool ascendency he is an attachment that can be sold at anytime if a decent offer is made for him.

Never said he is the best in the world, I said most gifted.

He has struggled with injuries not form. Only 10 games he's started in all comps this season.

Even Whoscored rate him the best player in EPL behind Bruno and De Bruyne.

And stop judging a player based on goals, Modric had 4 goals in 44 games and won BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:52am On Jul 16, 2020
chrisooblog:
yes Argentina were my honorable mentions. can't believe a team that has had the likes of messi, aguero, tevez, zanetti, crespo, simeone, ayala, caniggia, redondo to mention a few haven't won a world cup in 30 plus years
I agree with your list but Italy too should get a shout out for over achievers, squad always not so great, struggle with qualifiers but somehow always turn up for the big event. Tunisia is another underachiever in Africa, great league,organized football, regularly blaze through qualifiers almost always qualify for WC but hardly impress during Afcon or the WC tournament itself, only Afcon title was on home soil where they could have easily lost to us in the semis
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:01pm On Jul 16, 2020
Exactly. Very very slim chance it could happen. First, They will have to slightly outdo Napoli's offer to raise their slim chances but Daniel Levy is very frugal with spendings. The man na the AKA GUM of European football.

And speaking of no UCL for Spurs... I understand that it's also no Europa for Spurs as things stand (and it's very likely to remain so by end of season). Napoli offers Osimhen European football but Spurs doesn't. You are right. It should not even be a thought. Osimhen to Spurs just won't happen.

jihday:
the possibility is there but it's very low. Daniel Levy can't cough out 50-60mill for a high risk player like Osimhen, he's very economical plus the fact that they are paying for their new stadium and no UCL football for them. Whoever is thinking Spur can buy Osimhen should just dead that tot

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:06pm On Jul 16, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Most competitive outside the Big 5?? Very Debatable. And they have five contenders now b'cos the likes of Gala and Fenerbache have obviously fallen from their former high standards. They have been crap this season. In the last decade alone, Gala won 5 of the league titles while Fenerbache won 2.

Also, if we are to go by your logic of competitiveness in the Super Lig this season, then it means Turkey is more competitive than the EPL and the Bundesliga. And you know that thought won't hold b'cos the gap in quality of these leagues compared to Turkey is wide.

See ehn, I say a BIG NO to Turkey for Ejuke! Worst case scenario, I would prefer Belgium or he remains in Holland. And No, the Turkish league is not higher in quality compared to Belgium or Holland. I totally disagree with you on that.
Ejuke is more than good enough for French Ligue 1 for goodness sake. That is the real league of talents aside Holland and Belgium. Turkey is not a talents hot bed or breeding ground compared to Belgium or Holland or France.
In terms of league quality of talents, Holland and Belgium trumps Turkey.

The Serie is not competitive this season because Juventus have struggled, no. It's because other clubs have stepped up. So also Turkey.

I agree it is very debatable

But as good as Belgium is, no statistic website covers them. So we don't know how good Okereke is, or how Dennis plays.

Holland, on the other hand, have just Ajax performing well in Europe.

Istanbul Basaksehir topped a Europa group including Roma and Mönchengladbach.

If Ejuke remains in Holland, Ajax is his best bet. But no Club Brugge, Anderlecht, PSV, AZ Alkmaar is better than Galatasaray or Besiktas.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:07pm On Jul 16, 2020
Another Nigerian we have given mentions here a couple of times was also in action in this game for Genk.

His name, Shawn Adewoye. A Belgian-Nigerian Defender.

TheLoneCitizen:
Stephen Odey was electric for Genk in a friendly game which they won 3-1. He supplied two assists.

Dessers, on the other hand, struggled. You could see it on his face at the end.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Ywb29Uiys

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
Smh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
You can't go comparing the quality of Italy to Turkey to make a point. It won't hold. And yes, Juventus have indeed struggled. Only Atalanta really stepped up in terms of quality yet they are behind Juventus on the table.

And for the records, Serie A this season is quite competitive. Juventus have drawn their last two games against Atalanta and Sassuolo. Infact Juventus barely escaped with draws.

And what do you mean by No Stats site covers the Belgian league?? How can you make such an ignorant claim? You think Whoscored and Sofascore are the only stats site around? Ever heard of the renowned FBref.com?? They cover the Belgian league statistically and many other leagues including the Big 5 leagues.
So yes, I can ACTUALLY TELL YOU how good our players are in Belgium.

Holland has Ajax and Ajax is bigger than all the clubs in Turkey combined. You wanna argue that one? I don't need to go into Feyenoord, PSV and AZ alkmaar. Ajax alone trumps every club in Turkey. The dutch league is even rated higher than the Turkish league on the Uefa coefficients league strength table so what are you saying?

I don't care about Istanbul topping a group that has Roma. Shockers and surprises is part of the game of football. Or you want to tell me that implies that the Turkish league is stronger than Serie A? Or the Bundesliga?? It doesn't work that way.

If Ejuke is to move, the worst should be to Ajax (he is being linked with them already according to a few soft rumors as they seek a Ziyech replacement or just to strengthen) or to a team in Belgium bound for the UCL. Outside these, France is his other option and I think his best option as regards this next career move.

So Citizen, the quality of the league in Holland and Belgium trumps what an Istanbul or Galatasaray or Fenerbache can offer him in Turkey. Turkey is not the right move for him. It shouldn't be considered sef.

Samuel Kalu was recently linked to Turkey, precisely to Galatasaray but I understand that Coach Gernot Rohr was against that move and advised the lad against it. Since then, the rumors ceased. If Rohr doesn't like Turkey moves for our players, then that should tell you something. Rohr wants our players in the decent and top leagues. Especially the Top/Best leagues. The Big 5 infact. Turkey is no such place quality wise and in terms of where the Top 5 go looking in abundance for the next Big thing for recruitments.

TheLoneCitizen:

I agree it is very debatable. The Serie is not competitive this season because Juventus have struggled, no. It's because other clubs have stepped up. So also Turkey.

But as good as Belgium is, no statistic website covers them. So we don't know how good Okereke is, or how Dennis plays.

Holland, on the other hand, have just Ajax performing well in Europe.

Istanbul Basaksehir topped a Europa group including Roma and Mönchengladbach.

If Ejuke remains in Holland, Ajax is his best bet. But no Club Brugge, Anderlecht, PSV, AZ Alkmaar is better than Galatasaray or Besiktas.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:33pm On Jul 16, 2020
komekn:

One of the most gifted CM in the world, where did you get that from❓

Dude has struggled to replicate his dominant form in the Bundesliga. Compare 58 Bundesliga games and 14 goals to 42 games in the EPL and just 3 goals. It's clearly obvious.

Keita is not first or second choice but the 3/4 choice midfielder.

He is not essential to Liverpool ascendency he is an attachment that can be sold at anytime if a decent offer is made for him.

I totally disagree with this..

You once said you know Liverpool quite well... Maybe you should confirm how much time and effort they put into signing Keita..
He was a player Klopp badly wanted..
His problem is that he is always injured.. obviously,he hasn't been able to cope with the physicality of the EPL plus his style of play that makes him engage in too many duels..
At the beginning of his first season at Liverpool,he was a starter until the injuries kicked in...

A fully fit Keita is better than every midfielder currently in this Liverpool team bar Fabinho,I assure you that!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 12:34pm On Jul 16, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Paul Onuachu is reported to have tested negative and recovered from the Covid virus after latest tests were carried out. Likely to be involved in Genk's friendly/preseason game this Friday.
3 Nigerian strikers fighting 1 position
Epic

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:35pm On Jul 16, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

Never said he is the best in the world, I said most gifted.

He has struggled with injuries not form. Only 10 games he's started in all comps this season.

Even Whoscored rate him the best player in EPL behind Bruno and De Bruyne.

And stop judging a player based on goals, Modric had 4 goals in 44 games and won BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD.

Tell him bro..
A fully fit Keita is better than every midfielder at Liverpool except Fabinho..
He obviously has been very unlucky with injuries....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:50pm On Jul 16, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
You can't go comparing the quality of Italy to Turkey to make a point. It won't hold. And yes, Juventus have indeed struggled. Only Atalanta really stepped up in terms of quality yet they are behind Juventus on the table.

And for the records, Serie A this season is quite competitive. Juventus have drawn their last two games against Atalanta and Sassuolo. Infact Juventus barely escaped with draws.

And what do you mean by No Stats site covers the Belgian league?? How can you make such an ignorant claim? You think Whoscored and Sofascore are the only stats site around? Ever heard of the renowned FBref.com?? They cover the Belgian league statistically and many other leagues including the Big 5 leagues.

Holland has Ajax and Ajax is bigger than all the clubs in Turkey combined. You wanna argue that one? I don't need to go into Feyenoord, PSV and AZ alkmaar. Ajax alone trumps every club in Turkey. The dutch league is even rated higher than the Turkish league on the Uefa coefficients league strength table so what are you saying?

I don't care about Istanbul topping a group that has Roma. Shockers and surprises is part of the game of football. Or you want to tell me that implies that the Turkish league is stronger than Serie A? Or the Bundesliga?? It doesn't work that way.

If Ejuke is to move, the worst should be to Ajax (he is being linked with them already according to a few soft rumors as they seek a Ziyech replacement or just to strengthen) or to a team in Belgium bound for the UCL. Outside these, France is his other option and I think his best option as regards this next career move.

So Citizen, the quality of the league in Holland and Belgium trumps what an Istanbul or Galatasaray or Fenerbache can offer him in Turkey. Turkey is not the right move for him. It shouldn't be considered sef.

Samuel Kalu was recently linked to Turkey, precisely to Galatasaray but I understand that Coach Gernot Rohr was against that move and advised the lad against it. Since then, the rumors ceased. If Rohr doesn't like Turkey moves for our players, then that should tell you something. Rohr wants our players in the decent and top leagues. Especially the Top/Best leagues. The Big 5 infact. Turkey is no such place quality wise and in terms of where the Top 5 go looking in abundance for the next Big thing for recruitments.

Fbref doesn't cover Belgium, no statistic website covers Belgium, when you find one tell me Belgium's top dribbler.

I wasn't comparing Italy's quality to Turkey please, just competitiveness.

You stated that Turkey's competitiveness is proportional to loss of standard so I showed you Italy.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:55pm On Jul 16, 2020
Naija Players expected/likely to be in action today across Europe - July 16

La Liga

Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal) vs Real Madrid - Away game.

Ramon Azeez (Granada) vs Real Mallorca - Away game.

**Oghenekaro Etebo (Getafe) vs Atletico Madrid - Home game.

Chidozie Awaziem and Kenneth Omeruo (Leganes) vs Athletic Bilbao - Away game.

EPL

Alex Iwobi (Everton) vs Aston Villa - Home game.

W. Ndidi & K. Iheanacho (Leicester) vs Sheffield Utd - Home game.

Odion Jude Ighalo (Manchester Utd) vs Crystal Palace - Away game.

Serie A

Ola Aina (Torino) vs Genoa - Home game.

*Victor Moses (Inter Milan) vs SPAL - Away game.
(Victor might return today or he might not. Time will tell. Conte said a last minute check was needed to determine if he would be named in their last Match day squad meaning Vic is back to training but was rested. So for today, we will see if he plays or gets on the bench at least).

Russian Premier League

Sylvester Igboun (Dinamo Moscow) vs UFA - Away game.

Bryan Idowu (Locomotiv Moscow) vs CSKA Moscow - Home game.

Norwegian Eliteserien

Afeez Aremu (IK Start) vs Samuel Adegbenro (Rosenborg) - Home game for Aremu.

Swiss Super League

Blessing Eleke (FC Luzern) vs St.Gallen - Away game.

Swedish Allsvenskan

Ishaq Abdulrazak (Norrkoping) vs Orebro - Home game.

Jordan Kadiri Attah (Ostersunds FK) vs Malmo FF - Home game.

Moses Ogbu (Mjallby) Vs Varberg - Away game.

Latvian Virsliga

Richard Emeka Friday & Dele Ola Israel (FK Liepaja) vs Tukums FK - Home game.

Club friendlies

Calvin Basset Ughelumba, *Joe Aribo, *Sheyi Ojo (Glasgow Rangers) vs Lyon

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 1:13pm On Jul 16, 2020
Lille General Manager, Marc Ingla:

“We are at the final details for the transfer of Victor Osimhen. There were also other interested clubs, but the player has now made his decision. It is a shame to lose him, but he will leave.”

Source: @SSC NAPOLI NEWS

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:13pm On Jul 16, 2020
So you have gone through the entire Fbref site and you see that they don't cover Belgium. So they don't cover and show Players XG stats and others like Points gained by players stats, Non-penalty goals/90, Goals/90, Assists/90, and so on? You telling me they don't have stats for Belgium?

Lol... Abeg. It's okay. No need for much talk. I knew you would throw up a stat to find so I was ready. grin
Fbref may not cover dribblings stats exclusively but they cover other attacking stats but guess what? Another site revealed Belgium's top dribbler among the forwards of Belgium.

Belgium's Top Dribbler is easily Emmanuel Dennis Bonaventure. Has a Dribble rate of 9.47 dribbles per 90. Let me add that His success rate is put at 6.15 dribbles per 90 (The highest in the league and even higher than most Jupiler league players' dribble attempts alone not to mention their dribble success rate). The other metric/stat value is for his dribble attempts per 90. This is according to another stats site that covers Dribbling attacking actions in Belgium. Footballanalysis.com is the site.

So Citizen, can you now admit that you made a very ignorant statement about the Jupiler? grin
The Jupiler is well covered by Fbref, Football analysis site and a few more stats site. And I really don't always have the time to go through them but I am aware of them and have even shared a few things from Fbref here on this thread many pages ago.

And Italy and Turkey should never be in the same sentence when talking loss of standards or anything at all. The quality of The Turkish Super Lig right now is not even the Serie A's throwback to the 80s. That's how much gap in quality there is.

TheLoneCitizen:

Fbref doesn't cover Belgium, no statistic website covers Belgium, when you find one tell me Belgium's top dribbler.

I wasn't comparing Italy's quality to Turkey please, just competitiveness.

You stated that Turkey's competitiveness is proportional to loss of standard so I showed you Italy.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:38pm On Jul 16, 2020
A very key post you just dropped.

It's only now a matter of time. Medicals to be done soon also. The Lille GM has further confirmed it. Spurs can say bye bye.

Nice work Samueltemi337. You have really been consistent updating the thread on this Osimhen transfer. Kudos and carry on. *Thumbs up* wink

Samueltemi337:
Lille General Manager, Marc Ingla:

“We are at the final details for the transfer of Victor Osimhen. There were also other interested clubs, but the player has now made his decision. It is a shame to lose him, but he will leave.”

Source: @SSC NAPOLI NEWS

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:39pm On Jul 16, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Lazio stepped up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 1:42pm On Jul 16, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
So you have gone through the entire Fbref site and you see that they don't cover Belgium. So they don't cover and show Players XG stats and others like Points gained by players stats, Non-penalty goals/90, Goals/90, Assists/90, and so on? You telling me they don't have stats for Belgium?

Lol... Abeg. It's okay. No need for much talk. I knew you would throw up a stat to find so I was ready. grin
Fbref may not cover dribblings stats exclusively but they cover other attacking stats but guess what? Another site revealed Belgium's top dribbler among the forwards of Belgium.

Belgium's Top Dribbler is easily Emmanuel Dennis Bonaventure. Has a Dribble rate of 9.47 dribbles per 90. This is according to another stats site that covers Dribbling attacking actions in Belgium. Footballanalysis.com is the site.

So Citizen, can you now admit that you made a very ignorant statement about the Jupiler? grin
The Jupiler is well covered by Fbref, Football analysis site and a few more stats site. And I really don't always have the time to go through them but I am aware of them and have even shared a few things from Fbref here on this thread many pages ago.

And Italy and Turkey should never be in the same sentence when talking loss of standards or anything at all. The quality of The Turkish Super Lig right now is not even the Serie A's throwback to the 80s. That's how much gap in quality there is.

Stop misquoting me sir, I never compared quality I compared competitiveness. The NPFL is as competitive EPL, not quality. It's basic English.

goals/90, assists/90, Red cards, clean sheets. Are these what you call in-depth statistics? Even I could know all of these by just checking Livescore.

9.47 dribbles per game, does that make sense to you.
Where is the link to your footballanalysis.com?

You are the one showing the ignorance here, sir, I'm reiterating for a fact no statistics site in the world follows Belgium.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:54pm On Jul 16, 2020
Adebayo Akinfenwa's passion for Nigeria is as strong as it is for Liverpool
Ed Dove | ESPN

Wycombe Wanderers hero Adebayo Akinfenwa may be famous being the strongest player on FIFA, and for his joshing with Liverpool coach Jurgen Klopp, but few people are familiar with the striker's passion and enduring love for the Nigeria Super Eagles.

Born in London of Nigerian descent, Akinfenwa's relationship with the Super Eagles stretches back to their debut World Cup appearance in 1994, when the team's performance helped the now-38-year-old understand the value of embracing the culture of his ancestry.

Akinfenwa is unequivocal about the influence that football can have for the Nigerian diaspora, and for the expression of individual identity for Nigerians outside of their land of origin today.

"I remember the 1994 World Cup, the Super Eagles with [Daniel] Amokachi, Jay-Jay Okocha and [Rashidi] Yekini like it was yesterday," he told ESPN. "It was such an immense feeling, coming up against Argentina, and I can remember that World Cup being amazing for Nigeria.

"It leaves an impression, and what I loved the most was the fact that you saw our culture, when they scored; and those celebrations, you saw the colours.

"So as a Nigerian [I saw to] never be afraid to embrace your culture, to let people know what your culture is, and I don't shy away from who I am. Everything I do, I let [people] see who I am and I don't shy away from being me; that's what I take away from 1994 and 1998.

"That was what I got from it, as a youngster, going into manhood; that was what I was able to take from watching the Super Eagles."

For Akinfenwa, the Super Eagles' representation of Nigeria in international football and on the global stage has been a vehicle for a visible modern Nigerian identity to blossom among the nation's diaspora in Europe and beyond.

He also hailed Everton and Nigeria attacker Alex Iwobi, a Super Eagles international raised in London, as being representative of this current expression of modern global Nigerian identity.

Akinfenwa added: "There are changing times, different generations, different mindsets, and from the Amokachis, the Yekinis, the Jay-Jay Okochas, cultural representation has changed now, to the way you're looking at Iwobi, and it's the new-age generation, the new-age culture.

"To be fair, it's always been there, but now there's a vehicle and an avenue where it all gets put together, and you get to see it.

"[Nigerian musicians] Burna Boy and Davido come down and you see the young Nigerian boys in their concerts, you see them watching them and then you see them watching the games, and it's all now moving together."

Already recognised beyond the English lower leagues for his FIFA fame, Akinfenwa made headlines again when he was part of the Wycombe side that defeated Oxford United 2-1 in the League One playoff final on Monday.

In a cheeky post-match interview, the forward invited Klopp to contact him to celebrate the Chairboys' success, and the Premier League-winning coach duly obliged, sending Akinfenwa a congratulatory WhatsApp message.

While Akinfenwa can now look forward to playing in the Championship, at 38, the prospect of an international career may be beyond him.

However, the imposing frontman notes that he was aware of one campaign to get him a maiden Super Eagles cap.

"I had [interest] when I was young," he told ESPN.

"I was 21 when I hooked up with [former England striker of Nigerian origin] John Fashanu; there was talk then, but Nigeria are always blessed with great strikers so it was harder for me.

"I know there was a campaign one time to try and get me out there, but they weren't really feeling me and that... maybe they haven't got a kit that can fit me."

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:54pm On Jul 16, 2020
sad

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:57pm On Jul 16, 2020
I don't think I misquoted you at all. I clearly said you cannot compare Turkey and Italy on anything. Hope you saw that clearly. ANYTHING. So whether it's quality or competitiveness, they are both worlds apart. Tu comprends?

Lol... You could have gone on naa... Why stop at the common Goals, Clean sheets and assists stats? I mentioned their xG stats too did I not? How about Points per match made by a player? Can you get that via livescores? grin How about Non-penalty goals per 90? Look man, you just love to drag talk. Admit it. Fbref does cover enough of the Belgian league statistically. So that debunks your ignorant comment. Stop this running around to salvage a wrong statement and own up that you missed it. Simple.

And yes, the 9.47 dribbles per 90 makes a whole lot of sense. I didn't want to expand much on it initially but I did. I added more info about it to my comment. So you would have to read that part again for extra clarity.
In 2019/2020, He made 9.47dribble attempts a game. But his successful dribble rate is 6.15 dribbles per 90. Higher than the dribble attempts per 90 of several others not to make mention of their successful dribble rate.

And I just told you "Footballanalysis.com". Don't be lazy. I did that on purpose. Go to Google and search it out for yourself and explore a new world of a stats site that actually covers Belgium like Fbref does. grin I cannot do all the homework for you. You should be glad I am showing you something you actually never knew until now. But you must also make effort to get all of it. That way, you will appreciate it better. So Come on now... Go on.

And finally please, stop making that ignorant comment. Fbref is one of the world's renowned football stats site and they follow the Belgian league week in, week out. Footballanalysis is yet another. Enough of the ignorance. Time to be enlightened okay. It doesn't hurt to learn. wink

TheLoneCitizen:

Stop misquoting me sir, I never compared quality I compared competitiveness. The NPFL is as competitive EPL, not quality. It's basic English.

goals/90, assists/90, Red cards, clean sheets. Are these what you call in-depth statistics? Even I could know all of these by just checking Livescore.

9.47 dribbles per game, those that makes sense to you.
Where is the link to your footballanalysis.com?

You are the one showing the ignorance here, sir, I'm reiterating for a fact no statistics site in the world follows Belgium.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:59pm On Jul 16, 2020
Yes they did but you can see there is also some stepping downs in their season so far. Some inconsistencies still reared its ugly head. I think Atalanta deserves the most mention of a Serie A team that really stepped things up this season.

andrewbaba44:

Lazio stepped up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:00pm On Jul 16, 2020
Y

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:05pm On Jul 16, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Yes they did but you can see there is also some stepping downs in their season so far. Some inconsistencies still reared its ugly head. I think Atalanta deserves the most mention of a Serie A team that really stepped things up this season.

Atlanta came second last season and you can see what they are doing in the champions league already

I called Lazio because they pushed juventus ,there was a time they where just 1 point behind ,they lost form after the resumption of the league

I was so sure Lazio might have won that league if not because of Covid
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:10pm On Jul 16, 2020
Okay Citizen... I see a slight problem. I typed for you, "Footballanalysis.com"

Lol... Pardon me... But nothing spoil.

It is actually Totalfootballanalysis.com

I call it footballanalysis more often. So now... Search it out and see for yourself. grin

TheSuperNerd:
I don't think I misquoted you at all. I clearly said you cannot compare Turkey and Italy on anything. Hope you saw that clearly. ANYTHING. So whether it's quality or competitiveness, they are both worlds apart. Tu comprends?

Lol... You could have gone on naa... Why stop at the common Goals, Clean sheets and assists stats? I mentioned their xG stats too did I not? How about Points per match made by a player? Can you get that via livescores? grin How about Non-penalty goals per 90? Look man, you just love to drag talk. Admit it. Fbref does cover enough of the Belgian league statistically. So that debunks your ignorant comment. Stop this running around to salvage a wrong statement and own up that you missed it. Simple.

And yes, the 9.47 dribbles per 90 makes a whole lot of sense. I didn't want to expand much on it initially but I did. I added more info about it to my comment. So you would have to read that part again for extra clarity.
In 2019/2020, He made 9.47dribble attempts a game. But his successful dribble rate is 6.15 dribbles per 90. Higher than the dribble attempts per 90 of several others not to make mention of their successful dribble rate.

And I just told you "Footballanalysis.com". Don't be lazy. I did that on purpose. Go to Google and search it out for yourself and explore a new world of a stats site that actually covers Belgium like Fbref does. grin I cannot do all the homework for you. You should be glad I am showing you something you actually never knew until now. But you must also make effort to get all of it. That way, you will appreciate it better. So Come on now... Go on.

And finally please, stop making that ignorant comment. Fbref is one of the world's renowned football stats site and they follow the Belgian league week in, week out. Footballanalysis is yet another. Enough of the ignorance. Time to be enlightened okay. It doesn't hurt to learn. wink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:10pm On Jul 16, 2020
Woah........ Thanks alot for this info bros, thank you for reaching out to all of us here with it,

but, bro nah small phone am using, can't whatsapp, so how do I ask my question?

Somebody should holla Afobear, and that Kaduna guy ooooo

ChrisKels:
I dont know how best to put this, but I believe we have all contributed enough to any amount the owner of this forum has in his account. And if we must be honest with ourselves, one shouldn't be spending that much time on any social media platform, if he isn't making money from it, or gaining nothing that improves his well being in real life.

Here - https://fkevideon.xyz/226524993777275/ - is an avenue that I have been making some cash from and it has been one of my saving graces through this covid-19. There is no pride in begging, since you are healthy and I can actually provide for yourself, though we understand how tough it can be here in Nigeria.

Get registered and start making some cash, I brought it here to help us all, because it has paid me some good amount of money already.

If you encounter any difficulties or have any question(s), send me a message on WhatsApp via 08131081537
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:12pm On Jul 16, 2020
Hope he get to start games

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:14pm On Jul 16, 2020
Which serious football news site does not put out an opinion/news for almost 7 days already? OGN
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:14pm On Jul 16, 2020
Anyway, I guess you are right shaa. The Covid was definitely gonna affect some teams' momentum. And it surely has affected Lazio too. They have done well for themselves this season no doubt. The reason why I make a stronger mention of Atalanta is b'cos of their UCL exploits being done in tandem with their league exploits. They have really managed the two competitions very well so far and I must say they have been most impressive. Stepping up in the league is one thing, but they also stepped up really big on the UCL stage of European football nights.

andrewbaba44:

Atlanta came second last season and you can see what they are doing in the champions league already

I called Lazio because they pushed juventus ,there was a time they where just 1 point behind ,they lost form after the resumption of the league

I was so sure Lazio might have won that league if not because of Covid

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8960) (8961) (8962) (8963) (8964) (8965) (8966) ... (16124) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: opes, Pidginwhisper, etebefia, lbrichman2, chrisooblog, mostob(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.