Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,112 members, 7,828,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9442) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11747311 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9439) (9440) (9441) (9442) (9443) (9444) (9445) ... (16180) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 5:53pm On Sep 08, 2020
kellycute:
osayi is from edo state. Typical benin name. Lol

A name is indicative but never conclusive of where someone comes from.

Except we can confirm where his parents are from...the best information we have now is that he is from okija due to birth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 6:22pm On Sep 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Richarlison better pass pulisic ,I need to watch ziyech in the epl first sha

He isn’t a striker and even at there Werner is better so no compare because Werner na baba
lmao �. Richarlson better than Pulisic? Weed!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 6:27pm On Sep 08, 2020
ChrisKels:

Arguably, but that said, I didnt call him Okija boy because of his surname, I rather did because he was born in Okija.

There's no arguably about it bro. Osayi is 100% a Bini name not derived from any other language. Just like Osaze, Osasu etc. These names are all in reference to God whom is known as Osa in the Edo language.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 6:43pm On Sep 08, 2020
DrKlever:
lmao �. Richarlson better than Pulisic? Weed!!!!!!

Calm down okay ,it’s arguable

I don agree with kellycute already

Hope you saw where they also said chilwell is better than digne

Richarlison have more career goals Since he arrived Europe so my point is valid even if pulisic might be the better one
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 6:43pm On Sep 08, 2020
nope na you guilty conscience dey wey worry since that sentence made in jest has triggered you

forgiveness:

How somebody using it to burst lies be the one it is used against?

Guilty conscience dey worry you!?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:46pm On Sep 08, 2020
chrisooblog:
nope na you guilty conscience dey wey worry since that sentence made in jest has triggered you

Why did you rush quote me first if guilty conscience no dey worry you? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by barackodam: 6:47pm On Sep 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Tyronne Ebuehi on the mental and physical pain of two years missed

Gernot Rohr's young side fell agonisingly short in the semi-finals against eventual winners Algeria and Ebuehi said he passionately followed the crushing heartache in North Africa.

"I saw every game. It wasn't easy for me. I always wanted to be with the team and play in my first Nations Cup," he said.

"For me international breaks is always special, the friendships I've made and formed with the coaching and backroom staff, teammates and everyone in Nigeria.

"I was very proud. I miss that a lot but life is life. I was happy to see them play the way they did, unfortunately we didn't win but I know better days will come for us and more success. I cannot wait to be a part of the team again.

"Of course teammates, the coach, the staff and even the fans were in touch. I spoke with a lot of my teammates.

"William Troost-Ekong is like a big brother who never stopped giving me the necessary support. They've all been incredibly nice to me and I appreciate that.

"I can't thank the Nigerian fans enough. I don't check my social media messages everyday but once in a while I do and I see some amazing and incredible messages.

"So many people praying and wishing me well despite being away for two years. I will continue to be grateful for the support I get."

Source: Oluwashina Okeleji (BBC Sport)

Guy is very lucky. A lot of us genuinely likes him. Make he wait until he messes up in GWG, na then he go know real Nigerians grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 6:51pm On Sep 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Calm down okay ,it’s arguable

I don agree with kellycute already

Hope you saw where they also said chilwell is better than digne

Richarlison have more career goals Since he arrived Europe so my point is valid even if pulisic might be the better one

People underrate Richarlison ooh!!

Pulisic won't pull out those numbers at mediocre Everton imo

Richarlison will start in Chelsea, i no know how e go be

No be same chelsea wey Giroud, and CHO started games for last season?

In the present setup, Ziyech and Captain America will surely be stiff competition but mhen, that guy from Brazil na baller

And that guy wey say chillwell go bench Digne no dey watch Epl sha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 08, 2020
Arsenal U21 vs Ipswich Town EFL trophy.. 8 Nigerians in the Arsenal squad.. 8!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:01pm On Sep 08, 2020
Some Naija Dual-nationals in action

Samuel Edozie and Felix Kalu Mmecha Starts for Man City U-21s in their EFL Trophy group match vs Mansfield. Currently HT.

Layton Ndukwu starts and has bagged an assist for Leicester U-21s vs Hull City. Currently HT.

Tariq Uwakwe, on loan from Chelsea, starts for league One side, Accrington Stanley vs Leeds Utd U-21s.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 7:02pm On Sep 08, 2020
ChrisKels:

Are contracts signed electronically, I thought it was contract papers(hard copy)? Abi you go tell google to translate what is written on paper?

You can still translate hard copies. Snap and translate....I've done that multiple times
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:02pm On Sep 08, 2020
I just tire for Arsenal. That is Naija U-21 Abroad. grin

R2bees:

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 7:02pm On Sep 08, 2020
R2bees:

Are Africans genetically better at sports or what
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:06pm On Sep 08, 2020
JayromWrites:

People underrate Richarlison ooh!!

Pulisic won't pull out those numbers at mediocre Everton imo

Richarlison will start in Chelsea, i no know how e go be

No be same chelsea wey Giroud, and CHO started games for last season?

In the present setup, Ziyech and Captain America will surely be stiff competition but mhen, that guy from Brazil na baller

And that guy wey say chillwell go bench Digne no dey watch Epl sha

Thank you

At least you can see that I am being fair with my arguement ,I Dey like speak facts

Chilwell that we know is bang average then suddenly he is better than digne

Pulisic has played for bigger teams compared to richarlison who has played for small teams but yet he got more European goals in lesser games

I already said it’s arguable ,I just want to be fair and I don’t want long arguement

They think starting for the Brazilian national team while playing for Everton na moi moi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:08pm On Sep 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Majority of Nigerians living in the UK stay in London..so I think it's quite normal to find a lot of Nigerian descent players in London clubs academies..

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:09pm On Sep 08, 2020
Philosopher1979:

Are Africans genetically better at sports or what
These things makes you wonder. Prolly we are better, no?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Too much bro.. As if they are scouting only Nigerians their Academy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 7:12pm On Sep 08, 2020
R2bees:
These things makes you wonder. Prolly we are better, no?

I think so. Give black youth exposure and they will win anything. The horrible way we run football in Africa puts African youth at a disadvantage but men i think God gave us black sporting and footballing genes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:32pm On Sep 08, 2020
komekn:

Nwakali is the best, the most skilful, most technically astute Nigerian player in the world.

Thats why he us playing for relegation bound Huesca in La Liga and not Barcelona or Real Madrid.
you don't know the future but Huesca is now a relegation bound team?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:46pm On Sep 08, 2020
True. I got cousins, an aunt and uncle there. Nigerians and London be like 5&6.

But the way dem come pack themselves for Arsenal's Hale Academy na wa. Lol.

Danielnino00:

Majority of Nigerians living in the UK stay in London..so I think it's quite normal to find a lot of Nigerian descent players in London clubs academies..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neobulletzz(m): 8:11pm On Sep 08, 2020
cheesy

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:15pm On Sep 08, 2020
Francis Uzoho was on the side of the winners today in his team's intra-club Five-A-side tournament at Training.

#ComingBackStrong cool

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:20pm On Sep 08, 2020
Tariq Uwakwe with a brace and an assist so far for Accrington Stanley as they lead Leeds Utd U-21s 6-0 in their EFL Trophy group match.

Game has seen 60mins so far....

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 8:35pm On Sep 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Thank you

At least you can see that I am being fair with my arguement ,I Dey like speak facts

Chilwell that we know is bang average then suddenly he is better than digne

Pulisic has played for bigger teams compared to richarlison who has played for small teams but yet he got more European goals in lesser games

I already said it’s arguable ,I just want to be fair and I don’t want long arguement

They think starting for the Brazilian national team while playing for Everton na moi moi

You can't even start to compare the stats

Pulisic played 4 seasons for the second best team in Germany and scored 19 goals with 26 assists

Richarlison in the premier league alone for Watford and Everton 31 goals with 10 assists

Haba dey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:35pm On Sep 08, 2020
R2bees:
grin e shock you? Arsenal is never devoid of a single Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 8:35pm On Sep 08, 2020
When will Africa start playing its own CAF Nations League? .... Just thinking aloud!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:38pm On Sep 08, 2020
JayromWrites:

Pulisic played 4 seasons for the second best team in Germany and scored 19 goals with 26 assists

Richarlison in the premier league alone for Watford and Everton 31 goals with 10 assists

Haba dey

Smiles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:40pm On Sep 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Francis Uzoho was on the side of the winners today in his team's intra-club Five-A-side tournament at Training.

#ComingBackStrong cool
This guy tall abeg. To think Alampasu is taller ehn.
Naija really packed giants for post o.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 8:45pm On Sep 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Tyronne Ebuehi on the mental and physical pain of two years missed

Nigeria international defender Tyronne Ebuehi has insisted he is raring to go following his recovery from a 'difficult' knee injury.

Netherlands-born Ebuehi has not played first team football since he ruptured cruciate knee ligaments in July 2018.

It means he is yet to play for Portugal's Benfica, who he joined from Dutch club ADO Den Haag after the World Cup in Russia.

The 24-year-old has returned to the Netherlands on loan to FC Twente, who won the Eredivisie title in 2010.

"It's been a long period out and a hard time for me," an emotional Ebuehi told BBC Sport Africa.

"Of course, questions like 'could this be the end?' can pop up from time to time.

"You sometimes hear that with this type of major injuries players never return to the same level they were before the injury.

The injury hit him just as he was trying to settle in a new country after leaving home for the first time in his life.

"It was difficult in the beginning I can't lie about that," he admitted.

"To be away from the only country you have ever known, where you're born and away from your family and friends. You feel alone knowing it was just no longer possible for them to just pass by."

"It's changed me a lot. Not only as a player but as a person.

"Away in another country being alone. Sometimes it's like an unseen tears of frustration because of the mental pain.

"Like I always tell my family and friends now, that I'm thankful to God for this type of hard lessons sometimes in life.

"It really made me aware of lot of things, like how to take care of my body now. How things can happen in football, how to deal with them. I'm thankful for the lessons that God gave me.

"Going forward in my career, I know how to take care of myself and what's good for me, how to handle any future injuries, hopefully it will not happen.

Ebuehi is now determined to take advantage of his latest chance back in the Netherlands.

"I missed the entire 2018/19 season because of this difficult injury, but I'm happy that I'm fit now and I'm thankful that I am able to play the game that I love again," he insisted.

"Twente have given me the chance to show that the last two years was an unfortunate bad luck.

"It would be convenient for some people to write me off but others know better."

Mental strength

Ebuehi admits it would have been difficult for him to overcome his problems had he lacked a tough mental upbringing and family support.

"I know the type of person and player that I am. I've always been that person and player that works hard, always did extra and a bit more than my teammates," he pointed out.

"So once I suffered this injury, it was the same mindset that I retained to enable me get back stronger from my injury.

"Yes, things didn't go the way they should've gone for me, it took a long time.

"But one thing I've always been doing this last two years was to keep working hard. That's how I was raised and taught by my parents.

"From the start of the year I have invested so much in myself to be as fit as possible.

"My family and friends supported me by coming around as much as possible. I'm thankful for having them in my life. This situation makes you appreciate life.

Outside looking in

His first season at the club brought some very mixed emotions for Ebuehi because Benfica won the Portuguese league title and he could only sit and watch his team-mates play.

He admitted that it was not easy having to go to the club's training ground for his rehabilitation and seeing the rest of the squad preparing as usual.

"As a player, you always want to play and train. When you get in the dressing room, you greet other players but unable to join them," he explained.

"It was hard for me because I wanted to be a part of the first team action desperately.

"Most of the rehabilitation was done in Portugal to enable the club monitor my recovery. Naturally, the club keeps a close eye on you when you are dealing with something like this.

"You go to the club for rehab but no one to talk to when you return home. But luckily my family and friends popped in sometimes so that helped."

One of his hardest moments came in May last year as Benfica won a 37th league title, with Ebuehi cutting a forlorn figure in the dressing room as the players around him celebrated.

Cold and emotionless as teammates Haris Seferovic, Joao Felix and Rafa Silva celebrated wildly by popping champagne next to him, the Nigerian admitted that he was a poor spectator.

"I didn't play an official game. Of course, I was happy for my teammates and also for the club for winning the title. But it didn't really feel like I also won the title," he reflected.

"I was there but I didn't feel like part of anything. It's pointless to celebrate or fake it like I've done something when in reality I would've loved to contribute."

Things improved slightly last season for Ebuehi as he finally got to play some football but was restricted to seven appearances for Benfica's B team and the same number for the under-23's.

But he then suffered another setback as a muscle injury dented his hopes of making an international comeback and he was forced to endure another frustrating spell on the sidelines.

A caged Eagle

His club frustrations were mirrored at international level.

With Nigeria struggling to fill a decade-long troubled right-back position, the Super Eagles finished third on their return to the Africa Cup of Nations in the summer of 2019 in Egypt.

Gernot Rohr's young side fell agonisingly short in the semi-finals against eventual winners Algeria and Ebuehi said he passionately followed the crushing heartache in North Africa.

"I saw every game. It wasn't easy for me. I always wanted to be with the team and play in my first Nations Cup," he said.

"For me international breaks is always special, the friendships I've made and formed with the coaching and backroom staff, teammates and everyone in Nigeria.

"I was very proud. I miss that a lot but life is life. I was happy to see them play the way they did, unfortunately we didn't win but I know better days will come for us and more success. I cannot wait to be a part of the team again.

"Of course teammates, the coach, the staff and even the fans were in touch. I spoke with a lot of my teammates.

"William Troost-Ekong is like a big brother who never stopped giving me the necessary support. They've all been incredibly nice to me and I appreciate that.

"I can't thank the Nigerian fans enough. I don't check my social media messages everyday but once in a while I do and I see some amazing and incredible messages.

"So many people praying and wishing me well despite being away for two years. I will continue to be grateful for the support I get."

Recovery and self-discovery

Ebuehi remains philosophical about what he has been through over the last two years.

"The last two years has shown me that everything happens for a reason in life," he insisted.

"This big injury and difficulty with my rehab - I think it's a big test and God wanted to show how strong I am. I think I've passed that test.

"I have never invested so much of myself in training like I have done this past five months. I was always the one who wanted to do more than others. Honestly, this year I've done everything I could to be as much as I can.

"I'm thankful for the opportunity and the chance with Twente to show myself again and the player I am now. I believe I am a stronger, more physical and better player than I was before the injury.

"I don't like to talk too much, I want my feet to do the talking.

"This year is an opportunity to show that the last two years was just bad luck and no more injury will come. I know all the other things will follow and come naturally with hard work."

Source: Oluwashina Okeleji (BBC Sport)

We really missed this guy in the GWG colours. I hope he bouces back to full form. But I am scared for him. With the new defence guys Rohr is recruiting, he may have to sweat for his first team spot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2020
JayromWrites:

Haba dey

Which position did Pulisic play?

1. Richardlison

2. Pulisic stats in Dortmund

4. Pulisic stats in Chelsea

These will give you a better understanding. Pulisic no be em mate. grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 9:16pm On Sep 08, 2020
Amoo at Hammarbby ? no news of him ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 9:22pm On Sep 08, 2020
solonnachi:
When will Africa start playing its own CAF Nations League? .... Just thinking aloud!
A continent that cannot protect the nations cup trophy, you are talking about nations league

(1) (2) (3) ... (9439) (9440) (9441) (9442) (9443) (9444) (9445) ... (16180) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kentebemoney, elyte89, Posh(m), viccy12, joxxy01(m), Timixion, iamdynamite(m), Napoleon55(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.