Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,699 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? (2637 Views)

I Fall Sick Due To Lack Of Sex In My Marriage – Woman / 'I Fall Ill Because My Husband Starves Me Of Sex' - Sex Starved Housewife / I Want More Than A Round Of Sex – Housewife (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by Kei144(m): 6:10am On Mar 31, 2016

One scientist thinks that we’ll stop having sex to make babies within 30 years.

The romantically named ‘procreative sex’ will be a thing of the past for humans, because technology will have developed far enough that designer babies will become the norm.

Rather than lighting a few candles and sticking a Marvin Gaye song on, prospective parents will head to a lab and provide the raw materials (sperm, skin cells) and scientists will put an ideal embryo together for them, rather than risking an imperfect offspring via traditional methods.

In a paper titled “The End of Sex and the Future of Human Reproduction”, medical and law expert Henry T. Greely posits that it will a legally regulated service that will be low cost enough that everyone - not just the moneyed upper classes - can take advantage.

“Within twenty, maybe forty, years most people in developed countries will stop having sex for the purpose of reproduction,” the summary states.

“Instead, prospective parents will be told as much as they wish to know about the genetic makeup of dozens of embryos, and they will pick one or two for implantation, gestation, and birth. And it will be safe, lawful, and free.”

Parents will be told how attractive, clever and healthy each resulting embryo is likely to be.

“We won’t be able to say: ‘this child is in the top 1% of intelligence,’” Greely told the Sunday Times. “We will probably be able to to say: 'this child has a 60% chance of being in the top half.’”

Described as “prophetic scholarship”, the paper suggests that certain hereditary diseases could be stamped out by the new method, as a handy side effect of a new super race of irritatingly perfect children that will consistently make the older generations feel terrible.

Meanwhile, people will probably keep having sex for fun. So don’t worry about that.

Do you like the idea of a designer baby or would you rather keep at it in the bedroom?

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/does-this-scientific-paper-spell-the-end-of-sex-as-100112006.html
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by sleazy5(m): 6:13am On Mar 31, 2016
God wey bless man with sex know the reason why. Man cannot take away God's blessing.
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by delishpot: 6:16am On Mar 31, 2016
sleazy5:
God wey bless man with sex know the reason why. Man cannot take away God's blessing.

No one is taking away your sex. They only said procreational sex may soon not be needed and the outcome of the fertilisation will be more certain as you can now have a baby to your taste and specification like a point and kill fresh fish joint. You just look at all options and pick the embryo that suits your tastes just as you choose product off the shelf. The rest is have sex for fun.

2 Likes

Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by Dan42(m): 6:21am On Mar 31, 2016
Smh... End time discovery
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by jcross19: 6:25am On Mar 31, 2016
delishpot:

No one is taking away your sex. They only said procreational sex may soon not be needed and the outcome of the fertilisation will be more certain as you can now have a baby to your taste and specification like a point and kill fresh fish joint. You just look at all options and pick the embryo that suits your tastes just as you choose product off the shelf. The rest is have sex for fun.
that can only happen in their land not in africa , I trust my people . Oga white are just wasting their time. Natural thing remain the best.

2 Likes

Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by oglalasioux(m): 6:34am On Mar 31, 2016
OP, religious people in this forum will not like your post.

They are deeply involved in everything the bible and Koran says even when it's clear science has taken over.
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by Alimtoheeb(m): 6:34am On Mar 31, 2016
Contunu, but remember there is God o
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by chybykee(m): 6:37am On Mar 31, 2016
Iya, we go d do our thing hooray
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by Kaxmytex(m): 6:47am On Mar 31, 2016
choi......
pointing at embryo wey I know hw e take be.....4 whr, I no dey do

Dr Greely, if u want the yoghurt wey dey mah kini......

even if u come 2000times, u no go see a drop

1 Like

Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by VictorRomanov: 7:02am On Mar 31, 2016
oglalasioux:
OP, religious people in this forum will not like your post.

They are deeply involved in everything the bible and Koran says even when it's clear science has taken over.

You have a thing against religions people? You re even sounding like one - never minding their business. Express your opinion on the subject matter and move on. You ain't smarter than christians who re scientist.

3 Likes

Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by oglalasioux(m): 7:18am On Mar 31, 2016
VictorRomanov:

You have a thing against religions people? You re even sounding like one - never minding their business. Express your opinion on the subject matter and move on. You ain't smarter than christians who re scientist.

If you feel you are smarter than me kindly engage me in a debate. Religion is decadent and a problem to world progress.

THERE'S A GREAT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BELIEVING IN GOD AND FOLLOWING A RELIGION. The bible and the Koran preach hate, division and blind following of outdated norms and values.

Real scientists have tough time coming to terms with religion. But due to people like Shekau and that pastor threatening El Rufai with death, they will readily follow just to maintain peace.

Sorry, religious problem has got to a point sane people will not keep quiet again.
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by greatme2good(f): 7:24am On Mar 31, 2016
delishpot:

it's not her fault the topic is misleading.
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by kossyablaze(m): 7:29am On Mar 31, 2016
Kimeto is this true?
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by VictorRomanov: 8:33am On Mar 31, 2016
oglalasioux:

If you feel you are smarter than me kindly engage me in a debate. Religion is decadent and a problem to world progress.

THERE'S A GREAT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BELIEVING IN GOD AND FOLLOWING A RELIGION. The bible and the Koran preach hate, division and blind following of outdated norms and values.

Real scientists have tough time coming to terms with religion. But due to people like Shekau and that pastor threatening El Rufai with death, they will readily follow just to maintain peace.

Sorry, religious problem has got to a point sane people will not keep quiet again.

Hahahahaha. Hilarious! Comprehension is not so easy. Did you read from my comment where I mentioned I was smarter than you?

Debates don't even prove you re smart. Knowing when and where to debate shows how smart you re. You don't derail somebody's thread with meaningless debates. That's being smart. Just give your opinion on the topic, and stop feeling pained for others.

2 Likes

Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by oglalasioux(m): 8:56am On Mar 31, 2016
VictorRomanov:

Hahahahaha. Hilarious! Comprehension is not so easy. Did you read from my comment where I mentioned I was smarter than you?

Debates don't even prove you re smart. Knowing when and where to debate shows how smart you re. You don't derail somebody's thread with meaningless debates. That's being smart. Just give your opinion on the topic, and stop feeling pained for others.

You attacked me for saying my mind on a thread yet you are asking me to give my opinion on the topic without being pained for others. You didn't create the thread and I know you are not a moderator. But the likes of you will always bring your fundamentalist thinking whenever anyone mentions the bad sides of religion.

I'll not join issues of intelligence and smartness or power of comprehension with you. We don't know each other and I think we should leave it at that. So you are not pained much, I admit you are smarter and you've won. Thanks and have a nice day.
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by RiffRaff: 9:02pm On Mar 31, 2016
I remembered watchin a science fiction movie some fee years ago called GATTACA.
i somehow knew that someday we will get here. a place where u can knock of bad traits in a DNA. choose eye colour, height & other things u want in your offspring.

I am in love with science... even though this new trend sounds scary, its gonna be awesome cuz humans keep evolving. we keep gettin better and better..

1 Like

Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by jashar(f): 10:19pm On Mar 31, 2016
ehen.... cheesy no more stretch marks and sagging booobs... grin

Wonderful undecided
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by Kei144(m): 9:00am On Apr 01, 2016
If sex as we know it ends, that could kill the interest in 72 virgins and thereby adversely affect religious practice. It could then make some religious people to wage Jihad against the making of designer babies.

2 Likes

Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 01, 2016
Kei144:
If sex as we know it ends, that could kill the interest in 72 virgins and thereby adversely affect religious practice. It could then make some religious people to wage Jihad against the making of designer babies.

That could never be the subject of a jihad. The further development of super-intelligence and the advent of designer babies would do nothing to kill the biological urge for sex, and those inclined to believe in the existence of 72 virgins for their express posthumous enjoyment would continue to believe it, for they would still imagine them to be of better quality than any mere mortal human woman alive, whatever the standard of that time may be.

That is the primary function of faith, after all.

In fact, you'll find that the traits of the Hour al Eiyn (the so-called 72 virgins) as described in Islamic hadith are neither especially impressive nor rare at all, so much so that billions of women the world over can fit the vague descriptions with relative ease, but for one caveat - that they're immortal beings better than anything that could've possibly been "born of Adam", and that said characteristics also tend to be preceded by words like "intensely" or "extremely" so much as to border on the verge of pedantic.

Equally, you'll find descriptions of Islamic and Biblical paradise to be thoroughly unimpressive (except maybe to a 7th or pre-7th century desert-dweller, that is). This does not stop people today, not of the desert, and even if they are, hours by plane travel away from the eerily earth-like scenes painted of heaven/paradise from their various religious texts (with just a dash of supernatural sprinkled here and there to taste), to chant and pray fervently to spend eternity in gardens beneath which rivers flow, of milk, and of honey, and of dates and pomegranates served by cute serving boys, and chock full of nubile, pretty, big-eyed, immortal female beings of intensely this and extremely that...

2 Likes

Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by SAMBARRY: 7:34pm On Apr 01, 2016
Must you distort nature. It's not every thing that needs to be tampered with
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by Kei144(m): 9:26pm On Apr 01, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

That could never be the subject of a jihad. The further development of super-intelligence and the advent of designer babies would do nothing to kill the biological urge for sex, and those inclined to believe in the existence of 72 virgins for their express posthumous enjoyment would continue to believe it, for they would still imagine them to be of better quality than any mere mortal human woman alive, whatever the standard of that time may be.

That is the primary function of faith, after all.

In fact, you'll find that the traits of the Hour al Eiyn (the so-called 72 virgins) as described in Islamic hadith are neither especially impressive nor rare at all, so much so that billions of women the world over can fit the vague descriptions with relative ease, but for one caveat - that they're immortal beings better than anything that could've possibly been "born of Adam", and that said characteristics also tend to be preceded by words like "intensely" or "extremely" so much as to border on the verge of pedantic.

Equally, you'll find descriptions of Islamic and Biblical paradise to be thoroughly unimpressive (except maybe to a 7th or pre-7th century desert-dweller, that is). This does not stop people today, not of the desert, and even if they are, hours by plane travel away from the eerily earth-like scenes/descriptions of heaven/paradise from their various religious texts (with just a dash of supernatural sprinkled here and there to taste), to chant and pray fervently to spend eternity in gardens beneath which rivers flow, of milk, and of honey, and of dates and pomegranates served by cute serving boys, and chock full of nubile, pretty, big-eyed female immortal beings of intensely this and extremely that...

You are really very enlightened, my dear. That's quite a lovely and intelligent post.
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by fulfillbill(m): 9:54pm On Apr 01, 2016
Them go first kill all the bad people for this world first...

Or when they deem another planet safe for human habitation if not na hussling backwards be this o
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 01, 2016
Kei144:

You are really very enlightened, my dear. That's quite a lovely and intelligent post.

That's likely because you agree with me grin Others may vehemently disagree, but for us like-minded, there're simply are way too many parallels and dots that connect for us not to think critically as we do, and thus make the sometimes obvious connections where some refuse.

Frankly, I welcome the development, though within limits and with some hesitancy and reservation. If you think about it, it's arguably a "positive" progression of human eugenics opposite the devastating form it's taken historically as genocide or ethnic cleansing. Dam! I sometimes find myself regretting I was born when I was, and not well into the future, at least a few centuries from now...
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by naijathings(m): 3:19am On Apr 02, 2016
there is room for development and I believe IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING and NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.
yeah the future guys can go ahead and make babies in factories and sell them in super-markets if they want.

but for me and my wife, we will bring babies to the world by giving birth to them just the way humans do.
bang bang bang, 9 months pregnant, labour, push push push... new baby.
Re: Is This The End Of Sex As We Know It? by naijathings(m): 3:21am On Apr 02, 2016
RiffRaff:
I remembered watchin a science fiction movie some fee years ago called GATTACA.
i somehow knew that someday we will get here. a place where u can knock of bad traits in a DNA. choose eye colour, height & other things u want in your offspring.

I am in love with science... even though this new trend sounds scary, its gonna be awesome cuz humans keep evolving. we keep gettin better and better..

yeah i have seen this movie.

it is funny how most of the things happening in this world first happens on TV.

(1) (Reply)

20 Beautiful Biblical Baby Names / Bizarre Birthmark: Baby Born With White Streak Of Hair / How Do I Cope With Anxiety

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.