Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,707 members, 7,813,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation (14166 Views)

Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% / What Is The Implication Of CBN Withdrawing N1trn From Circulation? / CBN To Pull Out N1trillion From Circulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by Nelkoko: 7:53am On Mar 31, 2016
D bible said only poor men store up money in treasury dat will rot.
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by sammy4life2(m): 7:53am On Mar 31, 2016
Pls someone should break this monetary policy for us with its advantages and disadvantages
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by DivaFiva: 7:55am On Mar 31, 2016
ajoskele:
Make I no form wetin I no know.

How does this affect Nigerians on the street? Someone should please try and explain.
This would reduce the amount of money in circulation, although prices will fall by a relatively small percentage, the productivity of economy is bound to reduce...this will cause supply of goods to fall because people are not producing as much as they could have with easier accessibility to loans. It could reverse the early effect of the reduced money in circulation and hike prices for certain goods especially goods that are imported or made with imported materials. As you are aware, that means everything!

The increased bank reserve will reduce funds available for loans. While this could be an attempt to reduce the supply of money to control inflation, it would mean less business start ups and more unemployment and higher interest rates.

Basically, we are fvcked!

4 Likes

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by shugaboy6102(m): 7:55am On Mar 31, 2016
No wonder money is scarce and the government won't pay salaries on time.damn
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by mayorkyzo: 7:58am On Mar 31, 2016
The economists in the house,pls explain in simple english... grin
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by kossyablaze(m): 7:59am On Mar 31, 2016
VIPERVENOM:
u mean creek road? tongue
Lmdo!
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by adioolayi(m): 8:01am On Mar 31, 2016
5starmilitant:
Make una See me See wahalaoooo,
I went for the burial of a friends grand dad somewhere in Kogi, & in that village, when someone dies, an elderly man will come up and tell whose next to die. So this man came along and said that the next person whose going to die, is the one who decides to leave the burial ground first. My people, since last week I stil dey dia o. nobody wan 1st go oo, everybody just lie down, Even the old man at age 112 years is lying down beside me,is asking me if my people go never start to look for me?
As am talking to u now. Am still lying down What should I do next? cheesy cheesy

You've finally relocated....enjoy the village grooves grin grin
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by folks4luv(f): 8:05am On Mar 31, 2016
Integrityfarms:
I was asking what's the need for stashing up trillions in the CBN vault without injecting it into the economy especially at such a hard time. Expansionary Fiscal and Monetary policy is always recommended in economic situations like this. But no time is too late shaa!
looks like u kinda understand this report, but am a lil confused. there was a report here on nairaland that d FG plans to infuse 3trillion naira, fund gotten from TSA into economy to give it a boost, but here, d CBN planning to withdraw billions from d economy, aren't d two actions a contrast ? or both can run on a parallel?
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by MiztaSanchez22(m): 8:08am On Mar 31, 2016
tuoyoojo:
ok

the problem for the country don try wrapper, come Wear face cap join

people have being groaning under serious financial hardship and the best thing the government thought of doing is to tighten the nozzle around the neck of Nigerians.

this na wetin fela call double wahala for deadi body!

brace up zombies n wailers, the sh*t is about to get really nasty!
isiook.
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by dokunbam(m): 8:08am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
I suspect CBN wants to reduce inflation somehow...by mopping up excess.(Flawed thinking...but yeah).

Also, the government is out of cash. Because oil money is not flowing in....the government has to take this measure to balance the books...and hope that we do not go broke later. In other words...they are saving the cash.

In my opinion, good. Either oil goes up to 123 dollars per barrel....or nothing. We have to save cash anyhow.
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by Integrityfarms(m): 8:09am On Mar 31, 2016
folks4luv:

looks like u kinda understand this report, but am a lil confused. there was a report here on nairaland that d FG plans to infuse 3trillion naira, fund gotten from TSA into economy to give it a boost, but here, d CBN planning to withdraw billions from d economy, aren't d two actions a contrast ? or both can run on a parallel?

I was only giving them time to see the magic and confusion CBN is creating for themselves
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by repogirl(f): 8:12am On Mar 31, 2016
By increasing interest rates, I hope they know they killing the so called made in Nigeria businesses?
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by greatiyk4u(m): 8:13am On Mar 31, 2016
ajoskele:

How does this affect Nigerians on the street? Someone should please try and explain.

Lolz, you are as sincere as Buhari.

1 Like

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by Chukzyfcb(m): 8:16am On Mar 31, 2016
The monetary policy was implemented to FIGHT INFLATION. They say 744billion has been pulled out from circulation yet our Inflation rate still stands @ 11%. Abeg who is deceiving who?
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by 1Dray(m): 8:18am On Mar 31, 2016
yjgm:
Today is my birthday
Commot for road jor, who your birthday don help before?

1 Like

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by bejeria101(m): 8:19am On Mar 31, 2016
Come take the money for my pocket,mumu govt
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by omoharry(f): 8:20am On Mar 31, 2016
DivaFiva:

This would reduce the amount of money in circulation, although prices will fall by a relatively small percentage, the productivity of economy is bound to reduce...this will cause supply of goods to fall because people are not producing as much as they could have with easier accessibility to loans. It could reverse the early effect of the reduced money in circulation and hike prices for certain goods especially goods that are imported or made with imported materials. As you are aware, that means everything!

The increased bank reserve will reduce funds available for loans. While this could be an attempt to reduce the supply of money to control inflation, it would mean less business start ups and more unemployment and higher interest rates.

Basically, we are fvcked!
really? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by alphamodel1(m): 8:26am On Mar 31, 2016
yjgm:
Today is my birthday
Happy bday Son, God bless u

1 Like

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by folks4luv(f): 8:26am On Mar 31, 2016
Integrityfarms:

I was only giving them time to see the magic and confusion CBN is creating for themselves
all right, let's see what will happen.
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by masqot(m): 8:27am On Mar 31, 2016
SleekAlmajiri:
Due to its new monetary policy drive the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, may be pulling out up to N1.0 trillion from circulation in the economy through the banking system in the first month of its new monetary policy.
Already N525 billion has been pulled out less than one week after the policy which seeks to tighten money supply, while additional N219 billion is slated to be pulled out next week, just as banks’ treasury executives said they were preparing their treasury plans for more mop ups estimated to be up to N300 billion within the next three weeks.
The apex bank had last week announced a reversal of its expansionary monetary policy which it had run for eight months, in favour of contractionary measures under which the Monetary Policy Rate, MPR, was increased to 12 per cent from 11 per cent while Cash Reserve Requirement, CRR, was hiked to 22.5 per cent from 20 per cent.
Both rate increases would effectively increase interest rates, cost of funds and yields on money market instruments floated by the apex bank while transferring huge cash from the banking system into the government vault.
Of the N525 billion already pulled out, about N410 billion was quarantined in relation to the new CRR, while N115 billion was pulled out into Nigerian Treasury Bills, NTB, and with another N219 billion slated for mop up next week in NTB, the apex bank would have taken out a total of N744 billion by end of next week.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/new-monetary-policy-pulls-n744bn-circulation/

lalasticala obinoscopy mynd44

This is a topic that suppose to have more likes, shares and mentions but look at the patronage.
Someone asked what the effects are. Well, in simple terms, this policy portends hard times ahead except if govt pursue sectoral developments that would have a long term economic effects that would compensate for the short term sufferings. CRR increase means banks ability to grant loans is reduced. This translates to low credit and lower production which may lead to redundancy and unemployment.
Higher MPR leads to high cost of obtaining credit which frustrates business capitalization and those that obtain loans at high cost transfer it to consumers in form of higher price.
However, why do govt embark on contractionary policy?
*To combat inflation. We should not forget inflation and unemployment are inversely related
*To finance budget deficit. 2016 budget is a deficit budget
*To finance national development when govt have policy direction.
Above are the effects of this policy, among other things

3 Likes

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by erico2k2(m): 8:30am On Mar 31, 2016
ajoskele:

Govt stole me and you money end of story.
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by saintneo(m): 8:30am On Mar 31, 2016
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by mathow55(m): 8:31am On Mar 31, 2016
5starmilitant:
Make una See me See wahalaoooo,
I went for the burial of a friends grand dad somewhere in Kogi, & in that village, when someone dies, an elderly man will come up and tell whose next to die. So this man came along and said that the next person whose going to die, is the one who decides to leave the burial ground first. My people, since last week I stil dey dia o. nobody wan 1st go oo, everybody just lie down, Even the old man at age 112 years is lying down beside me,is asking me if my people go never start to look for me?
As am talking to u now. Am still lying down What should I do next? cheesy cheesy

take style change direction, make your yansh go where the old man's mouth, jejely off your trouser, and then your boxer. make sure you set your yansh for the man's mouth. and release one mad shit for him mouth. thank me later
dodoyo

1 Like

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by erico2k2(m): 8:31am On Mar 31, 2016
bejeria101:
Come take the money for my pocket,mumu govt
They already did bro.check yoyr bank

1 Like

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by hush15: 8:31am On Mar 31, 2016
NavierStokes:
A government at war with itself, CBN monetary Policy is mopping up liquidity, finance ministry's fiscal policy, stimulate the economy by implementing an expansionist budget and pumping in money into the system. These guys are at a tug of war with them selves pulling the economy apart at opposite ends. Now finance ministry is putting 350 billion into the economy and CBN is mopping up almost 1 trillion so what is the net result?

Nigerians better get on your knees to pray because the shit is getting "realer"

What do you call a situation where you pump in 350billion and the make a withdrawal of 744billion?

It's called State of Confusion...

Most Cluessless Government Eva
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by Chukzyfcb(m): 8:32am On Mar 31, 2016
Rather than wail shout and curse at the impending difficulties....if you have money that's been lying in your savings account doing nothing, Now its time to either Invest in T-bills/f.deposit.....ask for the Best possible rate & let your money bear fruits for you while you sleep. #Rather than wail, be wise and forge ahead!!!
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by 5starmilitant: 8:33am On Mar 31, 2016
mathow55:

take style change direction, make your yansh go where the old man's mouth, jejely off your trouser, and then your boxer. make sure you set your yansh for the man's mouth. and release one mad shit for him mouth. thank me later
dodoyo

Kikikikikikikikiki

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by Nobody: 8:35am On Mar 31, 2016
folks4luv:

Tug of war literally, you can't inject 3 to and mop up 700bn,unless it's assumed you put 2.7tn..
the economy is on a see-saw mode grin grin
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by KENZYYONG(m): 8:40am On Mar 31, 2016
Integrityfarms:
I was asking what's the need for stashing up trillions in the CBN vault without injecting it into the economy especially at such a hard time. Expansionary Fiscal and Monetary policy is always recommended in economic situations like this. But no time is too late shaa!
...bro you are talking about injection of excess cash into the economy
..mind u naija is already experiencing inflation due to the high rate of cash flow both by banks and government and now we suffering from that cos the cbn has already enacted policies to mop up d excess cash in d economy... We call it OMO in economics meaning open market operation....d S.T.A, reduction on the interest rate for placements by banks, and individuals as well and most importantly new fiscal policy are all the means through which d apex banks treats the problem of inflation... Although it will affect us initially...but the effect is short-term but the benefits are long-term

2 Likes

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by dyn1800: 8:41am On Mar 31, 2016
thanks for the brief and constructive explanantion

Quakertellicus1:
I suspect CBN wants to reduce inflation somehow...by mopping up excess.(Flawed thinking...but yeah).

Also, the government is out of cash. Because oil money is not flowing in....the government has to take this measure to balance the books...and hope that we do not go broke later. In other words...they are saving the cash.

In my opinion, good. Either oil goes up to 123 dollars per barrel....or nothing. We have to save cash anyhow.

1 Like

Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by jerusalem101: 8:42am On Mar 31, 2016
This Country is in deep Shit!!!

All we need now is prayer, cause it's obvious these guys at the top are bereaved of ideas.
Re: New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation by dyn1800: 8:44am On Mar 31, 2016
we need more people like you........ God bless your intel
KENZYYONG:
...bro you are talking about injection of excess cash into the economy
..mind u naija is already experiencing inflation due to the high rate of cash flow both by banks and government and now we suffering from that cos the cbn has already enacted policies to mop up d excess cash in d economy... We call it OMO in economics meaning open market operation....d S.T.A, reduction on the interest rate for placements by banks, and individuals as well and most importantly new fiscal policy are all the means through which d apex banks treats the problem of inflation... Although it will affect us initially...but the effect is short-term but the benefits are long-term

Most of us here just want stuff to happen magically

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Legalwealth Handled This Well in the End / Which Water Dispenser Is The Best And Where Can I Buy It? / Inflation, Why Do Traders Do These Things?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.