Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,801 members, 7,813,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% (10913 Views)

UBA Security Guard Returns $10,000 To Its Owner, Gets Lots Of Monetary Gift / CBN Raises MPR To 14%. / New Monetary Policy Pulls Out N744bn From Circulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Adesiji77: 5:27pm On Jul 26, 2016
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor, Godwin Emefiele, has announced that the Monetary Policy Committee(MPC) voted to raise its Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) to 14%. The committee voted to raise the MPR by 200 basis point in a move which shocked many analysts who projected that the apex bank would hold MPR at 12%.

According to the governor, 8 out of the 10 members of the committee were in attendance at this month’s MPC meeting, of this number, 5 voted to raise MPR while 3 voted to maintain status quo.

MPC however retained Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) at 22.5%, while Liquidity Ratio and the asymmetric corridor remain at 30% and +200-500 basis point respectively.
Emefiele said sluggish growth in the global economy, the Brexit vote, as well as weak growth in the United States all contributed to curtail expectation of global financial prosperity.
Faced with an environment of rising inflation, the MPC was faced with the twin goals of either voting to restart growth or fighting inflation, Emefiele said.

According to the CBN governor, the Committee is concerned about the need to urgently diversify the economy into agriculture, manufacturing, and services in order to rise above its current state. “The Committee expresses satisfaction with banks with regards to credit to the private sector, and encourages commercial banks to keep up the tempo, so as to grow the economy,” Emefiele said.

MPC members call on the Federal Government to fast track the implementation of the 2016 budget and drew attention to the depressing implication of non-payment of salaries.
http://businessdayonline.com/monetary-policy-committee-raises-mpr-to-14-2/ lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44, davide470, Truth234
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by davide470(m): 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2016
Who MPR epp? undecided

9 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by tradeplusib: 6:29pm On Jul 26, 2016
These guys dont know how to gamble at all...... grin

Trading the naira has become the only profitable business with a lot of large players favouring the odds against the naira. Obviously they have their facts, but at some point it has become a open party where the lines have been blurred.

Unfortunately i think inflation at 16% is still not real, on the street it feels more like 20% plus. nothing has changed this market.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Adesiji77: 6:43pm On Jul 26, 2016
davide470:
Who MPR epp? undecided

You? cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by veekid(m): 6:54am On Jul 27, 2016
Everything is good under buhari

3 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 27, 2016
Wtf undecided
I pity banks
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Sunofgod(m): 6:54am On Jul 27, 2016
More bad news...this will add to the already very high inflation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by clintino700(m): 6:57am On Jul 27, 2016
Is this Good news or bad news??
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by jazinogold(m): 6:57am On Jul 27, 2016
na wa o...CBN n policies b like 5&6

7 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by ademoladeji(m): 6:58am On Jul 27, 2016
What's its effect on Dollar/Naira rate, garri, PMS and Kilishi

2 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by fr3do(m): 6:58am On Jul 27, 2016
Somebody sai baba
somebody sai baba

cheesy

some people should have put their eggs in one basket o.

Buhari is incapable of running this country, he should resign!

6 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Emeskhalifa(m): 6:58am On Jul 27, 2016
What is MPR abeq
na e b wettin dey make dollar raise?

2 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by beGOOD4aba(m): 7:02am On Jul 27, 2016
What is MPR? How does it affect d hike in price of kerosene and garri?

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by umar745(m): 7:04am On Jul 27, 2016
So will 14% make life easier for us?

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by CircleOfWilis: 7:05am On Jul 27, 2016
Make I pitch my tent here, the economy is hard!...

4 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 27, 2016
Them go avoid this thread like plague. Olodos. No wonder buhari see dem scam

6 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by xana101: 7:08am On Jul 27, 2016
My God. Interest rate would increase. [color=#000099][/color]
Buhari = Badluck

4 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by BodmaxGift: 7:08am On Jul 27, 2016
Policy! Policy!! Policy!!! ...... No positive impact... all dumb ass

3 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:09am On Jul 27, 2016
grin grin cool dollar don rise again cool cool

2 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by SamMilla1(m): 7:10am On Jul 27, 2016
The worst thing about this CBN is that nobody understands them.

5 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Sunnycliff(m): 7:13am On Jul 27, 2016
Its funny that no known universal monetary and economic policy works in Nigeria!

However, indigenous economic theory of Nigeria unique economy is what economists should seek for. The MPR been raised to 14% will definitely accelerate the rate of inflation to be above 20%.

From all angles we are in a long poo!

#thankstoPMB

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 27, 2016
Nigeria will be great again.

Please guys check my signature
Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Mboi: 7:15am On Jul 27, 2016
What this whole MPR things means is that they have increased interest rate on borrowed funds from banks to 14% from 12%.

5 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by femolala001(m): 7:17am On Jul 27, 2016
xana101:
My God. Interest rate would increase. [color=#000099][/color]
Buhari = Badluck

i guess u rili knw wat mpr is. im impressed dat u knw.. we all shud just expect interest rate to go high

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by kinmarax: 7:18am On Jul 27, 2016
I am intested in sound and profitable business ideas from smart Nigerians within a decent investment threshold. Please, I will really appreciate if you can send me a detailed plan of the business, the cost implication (office rent inclusive), the profit margin, the partnership terms and expected time to break even to enable me make an informed decision about investing. Am looking at an initial investment of a little over a million Naira and subsequent investment depending on the profitability. Contact me on: sundayjiana@yahoo.com please ensure you drop your phone number should I require further clarification. Thank you
my email: sundayjiana@yahoo.com

2 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Vendoor(f): 7:20am On Jul 27, 2016
So sad embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by onatisi(m): 7:21am On Jul 27, 2016
Who no know go know.

6 Likes

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by sirtee2k3(m): 7:21am On Jul 27, 2016
it is well with nigeria IJN......check out www.adsposition.com for your free advert placement

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Zico5(m): 7:21am On Jul 27, 2016
The only way to make big money in Nigeria now is export business. This is why export of agro based allied products are liable.

1 Like

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by johnstar(m): 7:22am On Jul 27, 2016
undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Firefire(m): 7:24am On Jul 27, 2016
tradeplusib:
These guys dont know how to gamble at all...... grin

Trading the naira has become the only profitable business with a lot of large players favouring the odds against the naira. Obviously they have their facts, but at some point it has become a open party where the lines have been blurred.

Unfortunately i think inflation at 16% is still not real, on the street it feels more like 20% plus. nothing has changed this market.

This is no longer an inflation but hyperinflation. => 87.3% increase within 1 Yr ?. embarassed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monetary Policy Committee Raises MPR To 14% by Drsheddy(m): 7:27am On Jul 27, 2016
Kvv

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Things I Need To Start A Clothing Boutique Shop? / Rochas Okorocha And The Road To 2023: Is It Indeed Southeast Turn? / Complaint About Akin Alabi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.