Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,970 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos (20882 Views)

Protest In Abuja Over Electricity Over-billing / Made-In-Nigeria Vehicle Used By Soldiers To Detonate IEDs / NLC To Declare Nationwide Strike Against Electricity Tariff Hike, Fuel Scarcity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Sedofbobs: 12:59pm On Apr 01, 2016
Am no surprise though, it is wat we want. Change! As if change itself easy like dat.
Most countries are rule by madmen, Nigeria is no different.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 01, 2016
ZUBY77:
Why are you complaining?
You are APC State.
Your supreme ex Soldier is in charge...

We will find a new name for you since you don't fall under Wailer or Zombie.

Who privatized power? Was it not your friends in the PDP?

Which state...APC or PDP owns a stake in the new companies?

That is why prices are going up.Once DISCOS AND GENCOS got privatised...govt essentially hands off funding..meaning increased fees eventually.

Unless you want the govt to reverse the privatisation....which means them paying heavy duty compensation.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 1:02pm On Apr 01, 2016
Sedofbobs:
Am no surprise though, it is wat we want. Change! As if change itself easy like dat.
Most countries are rule by madmen, Nigeria is no different.

In 2014 ....power was privatized by GEJ.

The price increases, and the use of the Law to collect increased bills are the result.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by wonderkid619(m): 1:02pm On Apr 01, 2016
For one state, soldiers dey beat nepa officials cos of light, for another dem dey coerce citizens because of tariff, are soldiers supposed to be doing all these?!, these guys go just dey fall person hands some times
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 01, 2016
kennyman2000:
Hahahaha.. Make u na continue to dey enjoy the change. Shey no be u na want change? The change has come. Make u na dey enjoy am berekete.

I wonder the kind slap or heavy beating anybody wey mistakenly say ''sai buhari'' go recieve.

Benin EDC was the result of GEJ's privatization drive in 2014.(one OF SEVERAL DISCOS)

Part of the privatization drive of GEJ was a planned increase in the bills in 2016.

APC or Buhari had nothing to do with it...and can do nothing about it EXCEPT they re-nationalize the power industry and re-establish PHCN....which means that they have to pay heavy compensation to the DISCOS and the GENCOS.

You PDP guys....you see why your party was voted out? Even things that your party was responsible for...you blame others. SMH.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 01, 2016
wonderkid619:
For one state, soldiers dey beat nepa officials cos of light, for another dem dey coerce citizens because of tariff, are soldiers supposed to be doing all these?!, these guys go just dey fall person hands some times

It is because we do not do things orderly in Nigeria.

In other countries...they would send a bill collector agent first....and then you make your case to them. It would be ages before you see a law agent.

When I was a student abroad...I once got a notice from a bill collection agency that I had not paid my water bill. Infact...I had paid in full for six months. I promptly contacted my bank, the water company and the bill collector....and the whole issue was sorted out in 72 hours without the need for police.

I guess in Nigeria...we need to formulate proper laws re bill colection. And who knows why the soldeirs were sent...it was because when Benin EDC workers go to get the bills...they probably get attacked.

And the main issue here is that Nigeria needs to fix the power supply system. We do not have the money...that is why Benin EDC was privatized in the first place by the GEJ admin.

1 Like

Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by ZUBY77(m): 1:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Who privatized power? Was it not your friends in the PDP?

Which state...APC or PDP owns a stake in the new companies?

That is why prices are going up.Once DISCOS AND GENCOS got privatised...govt essentially hands off funding..meaning increased fees eventually.

Unless you want the govt to reverse the privatisation....which means them paying heavy duty compensation.

I believe the context here is using Army my to harass Nigerians.
Secondly, There was more light and less bill during that PDP Era.

1 Like

Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by oyetunder(m): 1:19pm On Apr 01, 2016
Nigerians don't know how to fight back! Let them in one voice reject the services of such power provider! Let each house disconnect the 'wire' from the pole! Within one week, such an evil provider shall learn.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by mcprince32(m): 1:20pm On Apr 01, 2016
Pls who's next presidential candidate? What are the proposals and mantra!
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by oyetunder(m): 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2016
kennyman2000:
Hahahaha.. Make u na continue to dey enjoy the change. Shey no be u na want change? The change has come. Make u na dey enjoy am berekete.

I wonder the kind slap or heavy beating anybody wey mistakenly say ''sai buhari'' go recieve.
. People like you are just blinded by tribal and political affiliation! Is buhari responsible for this now? Who hurriedly did a useless privatisation of Nepa and allowed smarter people to mortgage his brains? Nigerians once eagerly voted for Jonathan, and they too felt he did a bad job and voted against him again! So why the needless bitterness? Expecting Buhari to fail is not a virtue, but a sign of mental weakness.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2016
ZUBY77:

I believe the context here is using Army my to harass Nigerians.
Secondly, There was more light and less bill during that PDP Era.

We still had light issues during the PDP era.

The fact is that the DISCOS and GENCOS had a big problem with the transmision system. To the point that even while some areas had light for 22 hours...some did not.

And anyway...in the last 3 months of the GEJ admin..we were back to square one. Including a massive collapse of Shiroro Dam.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by mcprince32(m): 1:24pm On Apr 01, 2016
ZUBY77:

I believe the context here is using Army my to harass Nigerians. Secondly, There was more light and less bill during that PDP Era.
;- Dont forget also enough fuel, steady supply, and lower price.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by macaranta(m): 1:26pm On Apr 01, 2016
So if you don't pay you get shot? Smh
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by ZUBY77(m): 1:27pm On Apr 01, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

We still had light issues during the PDP era.

The fact is that the DISCOS and GENCOS had a big problem with the transmision system. To the point that even while some areas had light for 22 hours...some did not.

And anyway...in the last 3 months of the GEJ admin..we were back to square one. Including a massive collapse of Shiroro Dam.

I see. So according to your logic, we should blame GEJ for the harassment by the military.

3 Likes

Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 01, 2016
ZUBY77:

I see. So according to your logic, we should blame GEJ for the harassment by the military.

I have addressed the army issue in a post upthread....but to reiterate....the problem is most likely BEDC staff were attacked when trying to disconnect.....and they brought in the Army to protect them.

The problem with light in Nigeria is that most people don't really want to pay for light. They tell BEDC to give them light....with what money? Meanwhile BEDC has no source of money , and government does not give them cash much. (Just some funding...which is not enough). So..the only way to get money is by raising bills.

Which brings us to where we are.

One more thing...when GEJ privatized power....it came with an increase in bills. Because the increase did not take immediate effect....many Nigerians did not notice or complain. Now..they have taken effect as scheduled....(So in a way it is his fault).

But anyway....NERC says bills should fall by 2017.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 1:38pm On Apr 01, 2016
mcprince32:
;-
Dont forget also enough fuel, steady supply, and lower price.

1.We had enough fuel because we had the dollars to import the amount needed to make up for shortfalls in local production.

2.Fuel prices were still high during GEJ's admin. For example....in 2014...fuel in Abuja city was N97/liter...while in the satellite towns...it ranged from N102-150 per liter. (Abuja and Lagos were the only places where fuel sold at official prices). And we did have queues too.

Also...fuel was at N150/liter and above in the SS and SE...and in the North...fuel ranged from N110-170/liter at independent marketers.

3.Recall that in 2012...GEJ increased fuel to N140 per liter. From N65 per liter. It went down to N97 after many Nigerians protested.

(I supported the removal of subsidy by the way).
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by ZUBY77(m): 1:44pm On Apr 01, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

I have addressed the army issue in a post upthread....but to reiterate....the problem is most likely BEDC staff were attacked when trying to disconnect.....and they brought in the Army to protect them.

The problem with light in Nigeria is that most people don't really want to pay for light. They tell BEDC to give them light....with what money? Meanwhile BEDC has no source of money , and government does not give them cash much. (Just some funding...which is not enough). So..the only way to get money is by raising bills.

Which brings us to where we are.

One more thing...when GEJ privatized power....it came with an increase in bills. Because the increase did not take immediate effect....many Nigerians did not notice or complain. Now..they have taken effect as scheduled....(So in a way it is his fault).

But anyway....NERC says bills should fall by 2017.

Alright. Let's add this problem to Jonathan’s list once more.
GEJ the destroyer of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 1:44pm On Apr 01, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

In response

1.In 2014....GEJ privatised power supply in Nigeria, with a planned increase in the power bill to come later on.

Once power was privatised in Nigeria....price increases were just a matter of time.

Or where do you think that DISCOS and GENCOS are going to get money to improve power supply.? From the banks or from the sky?

And why are you blaming APC for something PDP put in place one year before APC took over? Do you expect APC to terminate the agreement...with the govt having to pay heavy sums in compensation to aggrieved DISCOS and GENCOS? Some of you guys need to think!.

2.Even if all our refineries were working at full capacity....we still need to import 23million liters of refined fuel daily.

We also need new refineries.....which all take time to build.

When GEJ was in power for five years....the same refineries were still messed up.And he did nothing. He had high oil prices....and he did not even start building one new refinery. And looting of our crude was still going on.

Why did you not complain then?

Does it take ten months to repair refineries that have been messed up for decades? Does it take ten months to build three to four new refineries? Answer?

And now thanks to the fall in oil price.....and thanks to the past government failing to save when oil prcies were sky high.....we do not have enough cash to import fuel. Why do you think NNPC took over fuel imports in this country? Because marketers cannot source for scarce forex without massively raising prices.

Some of you opponents are so bitter you refuse to think And you call us thoughtless non existent creatures!

Abeg.....park well.

people protested against GEJ and thats why they voted in this guy now things are worse and Ure here talking shìt
Why must people be forced to pay for services they dont get?
With all the promises made nothing has been achieved and instead of appealing for calm or simply keeping quiet you are here insulting people's sensibilities angry

2 Likes

Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 01, 2016
BUTCHCASSIDY:

I am sorry, I do not respond in detail to people without class
Good afternoon.

You can disagree with me without likening me to a bovine.

And FYI....if Buhari reversed the whole privatization thing...which is what you seem to want....the government would be taken to court by the power DISCOS andf GENCOS...and sued for heavy sums. Which the court would grant. (Contracts, eh)>

Next time, do try not to insult people you disagree with. Thank you.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by chinchum(m): 1:47pm On Apr 01, 2016
The reason why every home must be metered, the only time law enforcement agents will do their job in such case is when it is established that there is illegal connection or bypassing of the meter. Everyone pay for exactly what (s)he uses. Chikena.

1 Like

Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by wonderkid619(m): 1:58pm On Apr 01, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

It is because we do not do things orderly in Nigeria.

In other countries...they would send a bill collector agent first....and then you make your case to them. It would be ages before you see a law agent.

When I was a student abroad...I once got a notice from a bill collection agency that I had not paid my water bill. Infact...I had paid in full for six months. I promptly contacted my bank, the water company and the bill collector....and the whole issue was sorted out in 72 hours without the need for police.

I guess in Nigeria...we need to formulate proper laws re bill colection. And who knows why the soldeirs were sent...it was because when Benin EDC workers go to get the bills...they probably get attacked.

And the main issue here is that Nigeria needs to fix the power supply system. We do not have the money...that is why Benin EDC was privatized in the first place by the GEJ admin.

Well, you said it all. Wish things were normal in this nation of ours
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by 41lady(m): 2:22pm On Apr 01, 2016
As someone above me said, we are our problem and is true because the policemen and soldiers used have no light in their houses, do they think the bribe the EDC will give them after the show can power generator and have some to take bottle of staut, star, gulder e.t.c?

That's useless way of impressing the masses, instead of the forces to protect populace against herdsmen and boko haram, they are busy attacking armless citizens
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Donpressman(m): 2:43pm On Apr 01, 2016
I for one know most Nigerians suck at paying bills. To most electricity is still a social amenity that government should provide at no cost or at a highly subsidized rate. I believe the officials of the disco were most likely attacked or threatened was why they require soldiers and police protection. Gives us electricity is what Nigerians will say but even if they are given 6 hours of such a day they can't come up with the money. The so called big men are worse cos they steal energy alot. Energy theft is a big issue in Nigeria. And for those lying that Benin EDC gave them bills for services not rendered. Why is your cable/wire still connected to the electric poles if there has been no light for over a month? why not bring it down already. The solution I think is procuring a prepaid meter so you can monitor your usage and pay exactly what you use. Without that Benin EDC, other discos and customers can never arrive at a middle point where everybody will be happy.

2 Likes

Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Uokhaboy: 2:49pm On Apr 01, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

In response

1.In 2014....GEJ privatised power supply in Nigeria, with a planned increase in the power bill to come later on.

Once power was privatised in Nigeria....price increases were just a matter of time.

Or where do you think that DISCOS and GENCOS are going to get money to improve power supply.? From the banks or from the sky?

And why are you blaming APC for something PDP put in place one year before APC took over? Do you expect APC to terminate the agreement...with the govt having to pay heavy sums in compensation to aggrieved DISCOS and GENCOS? Some of you guys need to think!.

2.Even if all our refineries were working at full capacity....we still need to import 23million liters of refined fuel daily.

We also need new refineries.....which all take time to build.

When GEJ was in power for five years....the same refineries were still messed up.And he did nothing. He had high oil prices....and he did not even start building one new refinery. And looting of our crude was still going on.

Why did you not complain then?

Does it take ten months to repair refineries that have been messed up for decades? Does it take ten months to build three to four new refineries? Answer?

And now thanks to the fall in oil price.....and thanks to the past government failing to save when oil prcies were sky high.....we do not have enough cash to import fuel. Why do you think NNPC took over fuel imports in this country? Because marketers cannot source for scarce forex without massively raising prices.

Some of you opponents are so bitter you refuse to think And you call us thoughtless non existent creatures!

Abeg.....park well.

Well said. The simple truth -this electricity issue and the situation we are in now is the making of the past regime. GEJ was so- so eager to self off PHCN to themselves in the cover of privatization because they saw it as a gold mine.
It was pretty obvious in late 2013 to those who could read between the lines that we had entered ''one chance. '
The rush to privatize such a vital and intricate service of PHCN was a stab on Nigerians.
This is why Buhari should look at this whole privatization issue. Why should they be compensated have they (discos ) spent a kobo since taking over PHCN? Not even buying the smallest of transformers.
THIS IS THE BEST TIME FOR BUHARI TO DIG INTO THE ACTUAL PERSON'S THAT BOUGHT THE VARIOUS DISCOS AND GENCOS.
In the real sense of privatization done in the interest of the masses there should be room for competition.
We are not ripe for it. Their aim is to milk and milk the common man. What is happening in EEDC is appalling - harassing the poor with military. Meanwhile the police and soldiers are owing millions in unpaid bills.

1 Like

Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Daniel1673(m): 2:54pm On Apr 01, 2016
Is only God that can save Naija oooo. intimidation everywhere. make we pray for our dear nation.
The Edo people should take it easy with the woman because God God is nt sleeping!
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
No wonder uniformed men die like dogs...when soldiers are being killed, we come and lay accolades for them, only for their brothers to come and treat us like animals.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by amerimex(m): 3:21pm On Apr 01, 2016
In as much as ds govtmt needs time 2 fix tins doesn't mean dy need eternity of a time, dat d refineries were not working for decade doesn't mean dy need decade of time 2 fix, building an entirely new reffineries can take less dan ten months for a serious govmt, go 2 china n see how long such a project can b completed
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Uokhaboy: 3:22pm On Apr 01, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

I am sorry, I do not respond in detail to people without class
Good afternoon.

You can disagree with me without likening me to a bovine.

And FYI....if Buhari reversed the whole privatization thing...which is what you seem to want....the government would be taken to court by the power DISCOS andf GENCOS...and sued for heavy sums. Which the court would grant. (Contracts, eh)>

Next time, do try not to insult people you disagree with. Thank you.

I do not agree with your stand. You thing sueing the government is now their weapon?. Then they can as well just refuse to give people electricity and continue to distribute bills and use police and army to collect money for services not rendered.
I want to believe these discos and gencos signed service agreement for 2 or 3yrs as probation period. It is obvious they failed and their license can be withdrawn. The truth is people who are involved are powerful if not stronger than the govt. Or why have they refused to give people prepaid meters even when this was a condition given to them to accomplish within 18months?.
Are they not stronger than the Government?
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by IVORY2009(m): 3:22pm On Apr 01, 2016
Buhari's military regime loading, soon military men will start collecting taxes, control all sectors of the economy.
Re: Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos by Omonigeriarere: 3:26pm On Apr 01, 2016
[s]
LudaChriz:
Fellow Nigerians, I think is is high time we all match to Aso Rock and chase the dullard out. For how long shall we continue to watch our country go into extinction in the hand of this tyrant called President?
[/s]

When tele-communications was privatized, all Nigerians are able to call even as low as N10.00 today: can you please show us the positive effect of wishy-washy privatization arrangements done in power sector by your ogogoro dullard?

GEJ is a curse to this nation.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Is Surrounded By Thieves - Patrick Liuumba, Kenyan Law Professor / Wike On Secession: Won’t Allow Anyone To Annex, Hoist Unnecessary Flag In Rivers / Buhari Wants Osinbajo, Others To Tackle Crude Oil Theft In The Niger Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.