Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

Travelling To Canada Part 10 - Travel (258) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (1005600 Views)

Peace Mass Bus Travelling To Abuja Involved In Fatal Accident,Many Dead(photos) / Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (403) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Ajibade105(m): 6:43am On Jul 12, 2016
xqzytchyca:
Please, this is my first time here... I want to apply for masters in microbiology in Canada! Can someone put me through please, don't even know how to start

If you don't know how to start but you know Google ba?. Google knows more than anyone on the thread. Please, read from part 1 to part 10.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by amb001: 7:08am On Jul 12, 2016
Good morning"Masters", I hv started sourcing for info concerning availability of funding in form of scholarship and/or assistanceship frm uni of Manitoba. For the program of study I'm interested in, the Graduate Study Advisor happens to hv a Nigerian name (frm my ethnic grp). My question is dis: I knw my inquiry frm him should b formal but I'm tempted into asking him more about himself, introducing myself as his ethnic brother, and questions like his personal experiences. HW reasonable will dat b? Or shd I go straight to d point and give him my qualifications n experiences n ask abt my chances of landing funding.

Pls no yab me. I need advice as money no dey but brain to read dey. Thx for your assistances so far, masters. *Desperately*

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by ElCapt: 7:13am On Jul 12, 2016
amb001:
Good morning"Masters", I hv started sourcing for info concerning availability of funding in form of scholarship and/or assistanceship frm uni of Manitoba. For the program of study I'm interested in, the Graduate Study Advisor happens to hv a Nigerian name (frm my ethnic grp). My question is dis: I knw my inquiry frm him should b formal but I'm tempted into asking him more about himself, introducing myself as his ethnic brother, and questions like his personal experiences. HW reasonable will dat b? Or shd I go straight to d point and give him my qualifications n experiences n ask abt my chances of landing funding.

Pls no yab me. I need advice as money no dey but brain to read dey. Thx for your assistances so far, masters. *Desperately*

Hi.

Go straight to the point.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by amb001: 7:40am On Jul 12, 2016
ElCapt:

Hi.

Go straight to the point.

Thx Captain!!!

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by yemdogg: 8:19am On Jul 12, 2016
amb001:

Go straight to the point....... He may be an extremely professional individual and probably your attempt to familiarise with him may put him off.

If he's interested in familiarity, he would indicate that in his response to you.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Mickeymommy1: 8:35am On Jul 12, 2016
ElCapt:

pmd you. We can discuss here, though. smiley
pls check ur inbox. I sent u an email.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Odinwa(m): 8:51am On Jul 12, 2016
1 CAD is 216 naira today, yesterday it was 215 naira. Naira is seriously weakening! Isn't that awesome people? Stupid and shameless government!!!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Chebe01: 8:55am On Jul 12, 2016
rotexxxx24:
hi guys, what a 1daful thread this is.
pls I need your urgent response on this question.
am a graduate with a CGPA of 4.36 and I will love to know if there is any available scholarships or maybe graduate assistantship jobs for my course of study which is materials science and engineering, for peeps like us that don't have any means to find the tuition fees. if there is, how do I go about it?
pls I need your urgent reply, you maybe saving a life.
many thanks

Hey - I believe you have a very competitive CGPA. Have you managed to gain any relevant work experience? When did you graduate?.........Most Canadian universities will offer you full funding (scholarships/TA/RA) if they like your application and determine that you will be successful in your graduate course. Firstly, If you have identified an area of specialization, I'd suggest you start sending emails to professors in that area/field with an intro of who you are and what you intend on doing for your masters prog, and why. Attach your CV, any relevant scientific publication or scholarly work (BSc thesis, conference papers, etc), and perhaps transcript (especially if you don't have relevant experience). If a Prof accepts to supervise you, your chances will increase significantly then you can apply. You can also apply without contacting any prof.........Depending on the university, they might assign a prof to you and he may contact you for an interview if hes keen.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 12, 2016
@Ayoadeoyatokun's any update so far?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Folatem: 9:26am On Jul 12, 2016
Hello great pple in the house,

Permit me to use this space to thank you all for the great work you all are doing in here. I've been an ardent follower of this thread even before registering on nairaland, and I must confess that I've gain so much from the forum.

I've got a whole lot of knotty issues I'd like you guys to help with.

Background: I'm seeking a PhD (Electrical & Computer Engineering) admission into a Canadian university (preferably Alberta or Manitoba). I have the following grades in my previous studies - B.Eng CGPA - 4.09/5.0 and M.Eng GPA - 3.9/5.0 (57.3% average). I also have nine (9) years working experience in the telecommunication industry.

1. Would I be eligible for a PhD admission (with/without funding) with the above credentials?

2. If not (considering my unimpressive M.Eng grades), and I choose to apply for MSc (thesis based), would it be an added advantage applying with my M.Eng, or I should just apply with the B.Eng?

3. Wouldn't applying with a M.Eng (for another master program) place on me, a burden to convince the VO (when applying for study permit) on the need for an additional masters degree?

All contributions are welcome! Especially for my experienced bosses in the house (wouldn't want to mention names b'cos you guys are all great!)

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by penitential(m): 9:46am On Jul 12, 2016
As regard getting admission for PhD, i will have to tell you that you have good chances of getting admission esp into Manitoba cos Alberta is a very competitive school(not ruling your chance of admission out though) but you stand a better chance with UofM cos applications into PhD programs are few compared to Undergrad, Post-graduate and Masters.
Also try going for your PhD rather than applying for another M.Eng to save you from having to start thinking of how to convince the V.O your reasons for another M.Eng when you have one already and in the same line of study.
Folatem:

Permit me to use this space to thank you all for the great work you all are doing in here. I've been an ardent follower of this thread even before registering on nairaland, and I must confess that I've gain so much from the forum.

Background: I'm seeking a PhD (Electrical & Computer Engineering) admission into a Canadian university (preferably Alberta or Manitiba). I have the following grades in my previous studies - B.Eng CGPA - 4.09 and M.Eng GPA - 3.9 (5.73% average). I also have nine (9) years working experience in the telecommunication industry.

1. Would I be eligible for a PhD admission (with/without funding) with the above credentials?

2. If not (considering my unimpressive M.Eng grades), and I choose to apply for MSc (thesis based), would it be an added advantage applying with my M.Eng, or I should just apply with the B.Eng?

3. Wouldn't applying with a M.Eng (for another master program) place on me, a burden to convince the VO (when applying for study permit) on the need for an additional masters degree?

All contributions are welcome! Especially for my experienced bosses in the house (wouldn't want to mention names b'cos you guys are all great!)

Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Chebe01: 9:49am On Jul 12, 2016
Folatem:

Background: I'm seeking a PhD (Electrical & Computer Engineering) admission into a Canadian university (preferably Alberta or Manitiba). I have the following grades in my previous studies - B.Eng CGPA - 4.09 and M.Eng GPA - 3.9 (5.73% average). I also have nine (9) years working experience in the telecommunication industry.

Thanks.

Hi - Trust me, your CGPA for your masters is good. Considering your 9 years experience, what area/topic do you intend to conduct your PhD research? Do you have any output that can be considered to be scholarly? Do you have a PhD concept or proposal? IMO, you should go for a PhD if you have an idea of what you want to do. From what I know, PhDs in Canada have characteristics of PhDs in Europe and America (you'll need a research topic/concept and you'll do some coursework). So you need to source out profs that you'd want to work with and engage with them firstly before you apply. Most times, if you don't do this, you'll be wait listed until they find someone who is willing to supervise your proposed work which means you'll become a "second pick".........so start constructing a concise intro email with attachments and send it to university professors that have the same research focus. You'll most probably get full funding (4 years) when/if you're admitted. This is what I did during my PhD application and I got many positive responses from university professors. I made a pick based on application deadline and faculty expertise.

As you may have read, two masters can be a struggle when it comes to convincing VOs.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by penitential(m): 9:52am On Jul 12, 2016
Also, the fact that you have nine(9) years experience in that same field will increase your chances of getting admission as admissions decisions in Canada is not only based on your academic qualifications but also with your field knowledge and experiences.
Folatem:

Background: I'm seeking a PhD (Electrical & Computer Engineering) admission into a Canadian university (preferably Alberta or Manitiba). I have the following grades in my previous studies - B.Eng CGPA - 4.09/5.0 and M.Eng GPA - 3.9/5.0 (57.3% average). I also have nine (9) years working experience in the telecommunication industry.

Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Folatem: 9:52am On Jul 12, 2016
Chebe01:

Hi - Trust me, your CGPA for your masters is good. Considering your 9 years experience, what area/topic do you intend to conduct your PhD research? Do you have any output that can be considered to be scholarly? Do you have a PhD concept or proposal? IMO, you should go for a PhD if you have an idea of what you want to do. From what I know, PhDs in Canada have characteristics of PhDs in Europe and America (you'll need a research topic/concept and you'll do some coursework). So you need to source out profs that you'd want to work with and engage with them firstly before you apply. Most times, if you don't do this, you'll be wait listed until they find someone who is willing to supervise your proposed work which means you'll become a "second pick".........so start constructing a concise intro email with attachments and send it to university professors that have the same research focus. You'll most probably get full funding (4 years) when/if you're admitted. This is what I did during my PhD application and I got many positive responses from university professors. I made a pick based on application deadline and faculty expertise.
As you may have read, two masters can be a struggle when it comes to convincing VOs.

Thank you very much.

More contributions pls!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by yemdogg: 9:55am On Jul 12, 2016
penitential:
As regard getting admission for PhD, i will have to tell you that you have good chances of getting admission esp into Manitoba cos Alberta is a very competitive school(not ruling your chance of admission out though) but you stand a better chance with UofM cos applications into PhD programs are few compared to Undergrad, Post-graduate and Masters.
Also try going for your PhD rather than applying for another M.Eng to save you from having to start thinking of how to convince the V.O your reasons for another M.Eng when you have one already and in the same line of study.

Well said......Mr guru ! grin

How far with the SOP thingy ? Haven't heard from you .
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by penitential(m): 10:01am On Jul 12, 2016
Bros, if dem dey call Gurus, na u top list followed by michv, justwise and co. self dey learn for your side grin grin grin
As regard the SOP, am already working on the noted points will def send to you sooner.
thanks brother.
yemdogg:

Well said......Mr guru ! grin

How far with the SOP thingy ? Haven't heard from you .

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by yemdogg: 10:04am On Jul 12, 2016
penitential:
Bros, if dem dey call Gurus, na u top list followed by michv, justwise and co. self dey learn for your side grin grin grin
As regard the SOP, am already working on the noted points will def send to you sooner.
thanks brother.
Lol.....You wan cause gobe for this thread abi. grin
No wahala sha. It is well
Disclaimer: I no be guru o.
I am still a trv hopeful...
Michv is a certified guru.
Justwise and oga thesoj dey dem lane. grin Na different realm dem dey.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Folatem: 10:10am On Jul 12, 2016
Chebe01:

Yes, I have identified some challenges in my line of duty on the basis of which researches could be conducted. All I'll have to do is take some time off to develop something attractive.

I'v also sent e-mails to some professors, but yet to get any reply.

Thank you very much for your contributions!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by BE811APP: 10:18am On Jul 12, 2016
One way or with a return shocked shocked shocked

bounces88:
I just booked my flight ticket FROM LOS -ADDIS ABBA -TORONTO -CALGARY-KAMLOOPS for mid august ,I must say flight fares are very expensive now , I got mine for N530k ethopian airline which was one of the cheapest, the bad news is flight fare will increase in weeks to come ,August is the pick. # THE NEW FOREX PRICE IS THE MAJOR REASON FOR THE PRICE HIKE.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by ayoadeoyatokun: 10:21am On Jul 12, 2016
@ MichV, Still waiting to hear from CIC.

Thanks for Asking Bro.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Chebe01: 10:26am On Jul 12, 2016
Folatem:

Yes, I have identified some challenges in my line of duty on the basis of which researches could be conducted. All I'll have to do is take some time off to develop something attractive.

I'v also sent e-mails to some professors, but yet to get any reply.

Thank you very much for your contributions!

Sure - Any way to help. I think gaining an admission is the easy part when it comes to studying or doing research in Canada undecided. Try and developed at least a 3-page PhD concept that is nicely and adequately referenced (you may even use this as your writing sample as part of your application documents). Write a concise email and possibly end it with a paragraph like "I am writing to inquire if there are opportunities for PhD studentship at your institution (or with you) and whether your institution support research and researchers in LMICs" Then attach your CV and any relevant document.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by rotexxxx24: 10:43am On Jul 12, 2016
Chebe01:

Hey - I believe you have a very competitive CGPA. Have you managed to gain any relevant work experience? When did you graduate?.........Most Canadian universities will offer you full funding (scholarships/TA/RA) if they like your application and determine that you will be successful in your graduate course. Firstly, If you have identified an area of specialization, I'd suggest you start sending emails to professors in that area/field with an intro of who you are and what you intend on doing for your masters prog, and why. Attach your CV, any relevant scientific publication or scholarly work (BSc thesis, conference papers, etc), and perhaps transcript (especially if you don't have relevant experience). If a Prof accepts to supervise you, your chances will increase significantly then you can apply. You can also apply without contacting any prof.........Depending on the university, they might assign a prof to you and he may contact you for an interview if hes keen.
I really appreciate the kind gesture and reply. hope you don't mind we share contacts?
rotimitoran@gmail.com
that's my mail address
that way we can communicate better
many thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by jaybmich: 10:46am On Jul 12, 2016
nkemgrace:

The man is making sense, and you are asking him if he is God? Nigerians are way too religious that is why Nigeria is where it is today. For God to even assist anyone, you must first do that which is right. Let us take a case study of a student who doesn't prepare properly for an exam or makes no preparation at all, if such a student likes, visit all churches in Nigeria, sow all seed faith possible, engage in ceaseless all nights vigils, such a student will FAIL and FAIL WOEFULLY. Learn to read closely and see with your minds e valid point anyone makes. Learning is a continuous process. Don't be more Catholic than the Pope
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Chebe01: 10:49am On Jul 12, 2016
rotexxxx24:

I really appreciate the kind gesture and reply. hope you don't mind we share contacts?
rotimitoran@gmail.com
that's my mail address
that way we can communicate better
many thanks.

Sure, will drop you an email
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by jaybmich: 10:50am On Jul 12, 2016
nkemgrace:

The man is making sense, and you are asking him if he is God? Nigerians are way too religious that is why Nigeria is where it is today. For God to even assist anyone, you must first do that which is right. Let us take a case study of a student who doesn't prepare properly for an exam or makes no preparation at all, if such a student likes, visit all churches in Nigeria, sow all seed faith possible, engage in ceaseless all nights vigils, such a student will FAIL and FAIL WOEFULLY. Learn to read closely and see with your minds eye the valid point anyone makes. Learning is a continuous process. Don't be more Catholic than the Pope
SHE - Goat!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by opia12345: 10:52am On Jul 12, 2016
hahahahahahahahah.
Iggynasia:
its only you that can be like this grin
I can't even pronounce that without biting my tongue angry
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Iggynasia(f): 11:00am On Jul 12, 2016
This is harsh sad cry
Odinwa:

Stupid and shameless government!!!

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by opia12345: 11:03am On Jul 12, 2016
do the needful, go straight to the point, but before you drop the call ,from what u may have observed ,chip in some informal interaction
amb001:

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by faculty: 11:46am On Jul 12, 2016
Pls house, i need an urgent help from professionals. I already have admission for pHD in mcgill but awaiting funding from my sponsor but he could not complete the full funding to the tune of 15m. I now requested that he shd divide it into 3 tranches such that 5m for each year until 3 years which equal 15m as required for the program. He intend to issue me the 5m as scholarship with bank draft and deposited into my account. Can i use the scholarship letter and bank draft including my Statement of account with the 5m to apply for visa? Pls i need ur professional help.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 12, 2016
@yemdogg and @pen.. i am just learning and chipping in my little input as i can. this canadian study visa process is just like reading past questions to prepare for the forthcoming exams which will opportune and expose you to know the tactically areas of concerns though individual cases differ in these VOs torchlight eyes grin i am still a TRV fall hopeful.the necessary things that cause minor refusal i have done if any negative thing happens at the end,with the help of GCMS note i would be guaranteed of a successfully reapplication by GOD'S GRACE.
since yesterday i have received calls from my friends in canada,even my canada whitey babe grin about the success of my application.i told them that nothing yet oo after their mail of ''my account has been updated'' since last month and very soon my app will clock 2months.To me CIC ACCRA,GHANA doesn't follow the process of ''first come first serve'' though many are called but few are chosen. I have witnessed disarray from update of those being responded to so far. could it also mean they have voluminous app this period? those guys must be f**kin' lipsrsealed busy this period.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Bioben: 12:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
Application of 13wks nd replied from ghana said and I quote" application still in queue pending for processing" hmmmmm..its well

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (403)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / UK Spouse Visa/Appeal Process-part2 / Travelling To Canada Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.