Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,579 members, 7,823,514 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians (11090 Views)

20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / 4 Most Used Words By Nigerian Ladies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Determinism: 2:24pm On Apr 02, 2016
The Nigerian peoples are known for their special and exclusive accent that cannot be replicated or flawlessly impression-ed by individuals who are not Nigerian-ground (even Hollywood has tried but failed to replicate it). Although the (ear-orgasmic) Nigerian accent is rated very highly amongst the sexiest accents in the world, most Nigerians (unenlightened though) still prefer to sound unsophisticated by twisting their tongues and noses to sound British or "yankee-fied", without coming to terms that whilst speaking English, what matters most isn't the accent or mode of speech; but the correct pronunciation of simple everyday words (and correct use of intonation), coupled with the simplicity of diction (Obama's various speeches endorse this fact). This "simple" grammatic awareness is what lightly differentiates the educated from the schooled (the bifurcation of formal literacy). Here is a list of a few simple everyday words that are mispronounced by most Nigerians (even those forming "frosh" and "posh" accent and the ones who juggle between the British, American, Jamaican and Ghanaian accent in one sentence (God is on His throne watching you) alone), accompanied with their correct pronunciation (pro-nun-cia-tion)

Fuel/Scarce: 90% of Nigerians mispronounce this as fwel rather than fewyl. The current national "epidemic" has overtime led to the unholy spread of the mispronounced fwel-skar-sea-ti rather than fewyl-skir-city (fuel scarcity)

Chassis: even grammarians mispronounce this word as char-sis, rather than shar-sea.

Beret: A large number of our military brethren and the beret wearing "confraternities" as well as various church choirs across the country are vastly ignorant that their beloved head-gear is pronounced bey-rey and not beh-RET. #NowYouKnow

Sachet: It's pronounced sar-shay and not sa-CHET. The "t" is silent.

Quay: This word is simply pronounced same as you'd pronounce "key"

Illegal: Nigerian artiste, Pepenazi had the one greatest opportunity to educate the Nigerian mass on the pronunciation of this dreadful word (ill-lee-gal). Even Badoo-Sneh couldn't even help out *sigh* (so much for loving the streets).

Bomb: 99% percent of Nigerians mispronounce this word by including the "b" (at the end) whilst pronouncing it. The "b" is silent.

Chalet: This word is pronounced shar-ley and not char-LET.

Tomato: too-may-toe is the pronunciation. Practice and correct this pronunciation when grocery shopping.

Okra: this popular pod is fondly pronounced ok-roh. It's correct pronunciation is in fact ok-ra (English dictionaries confirm this).

Vitamin: This word is an acronym for Vital Mineral(s), thus breeding vy-ta-min (vitamin) and not the mispronounced vee-ta-min.

Divorce: I hear lots of individuals mispronounce this word as die-vorce. It is in fact pronounced dee-vorce.

Arena: It is pronounced ar-ree-na and not ah-reh-na.

Vehicle: Even the elite fail to pronounce this word (vee-he-cle) couth-ly

Democracy: Hmmm! Where do I start from? Howbeit, this very popular word/concept has been mispronounced in varying context and degree by all manner of individuals all over the world. This people's political concept is pronounced dee-mo-cracy. The pronunciation of the "de" sounds like that of "deliver"

Qatar: This oil rich Middle-Eastern nation is pronounced ka-tar not kwa-tar. Football pundits please take note.

Meme: The culture of picturising humour laced with rib cracking and brain teasing text has become a widespread internet sensation. The 9gags and Twitters have made this trend popular amongst the internet folk. Thus, this "culture" is pronounced meem or mim and not maym as widely pronounced.
#MemeHistory will give you good laugh.

Naira: We even go as far as mispronouncing our national currency. It's simply pronounced nai-ra, not neh-rah or any other incorrect variation.

Plumber: The "b" is silent.

Debt: This word has same pronunciation as death. The "b" is also silent.

Realist/idealist: ree-list/ idee-list. Political elites and "feel-amongs" are also guilty of mispronouncing these words. My professors back then were not left out too.

Ebola: With the way most Nigerians (including the sensitising health practitioners) mispronounced this word, you'd think it is (or was) an air borne disease (thank God it wasn't). This "persona non gratia" is pronounced ee-bow-la, and not air-bow-la.

Sword: In pronouncing this word, the "w" is silent.

Wednesday: The " D " is silent as well. It's pronounced more like wens-day.

October: Oc-to-ber is not pronounced ork-tow-ber.

Main road: It beats my imagination why people mispronounced this word as meh-road (when they're not bleating goats). It is simply MAIN-road and not MEEH-road. Same goes for Third MAIN-land Bridge. That aside, please observe all traffic laws when driving. Let's make our (main) roads safe.

Brothel: bruh-ttle

Hotel Suit: I've over-time heard persons (from even entertainment event jingles on TV) mispronounce the "suit" in "hotel suit" (eg Eko Hotel and Suit) same as they pronounce the bodily garment-cover. The "suit" in "hotel-suit" is simply and sweetly pronounced sweet.

Trafficator: The word traffi-CA-tor is widely mispronounced as traffi-GA-tor. That aside, please always make use of your trafficator/indicator when making turns (even on lonely roads) whilst driving.

Chewing gum: Even big girls and aunties still mispronounce it as chin-gum. Are you using it to gum your chin? I'm sure chewing-gum isn't a hard word to pronounce.

Pant: Please, I beg, it's not pronounced pynt, it's simply pa-nt. Haba! (habatically)

Oil: Even our honourable emeritus grammarian from the moth city is guilty of mispronouncing this word. It is pronounced oyl and not oyel.

Machete: ma-sher-ti is the correct pronunciation, and not some other way you might pronounce it.

Often: ofen (the "t" is silent).

Valium-Five: this sedative is called Valium-Five, not volume five.

Celebrity: This popular word is pronounced sea-leh-brity and not cer-leh-brity.

Theory: Even professors and English academics often fail to intonate this word correctly. The intonation eliminates the "o" in it whilst pronouncing it. Thus, it sounds more like thee-ry and not thio-ry.

Chicago: In one of my favourite songs off from our beloved African Mama, she mispronounced this popular city as chee-ka-go (even the featured artiste from East Africa did same). That got me thinking as to how many other Nigerians (and Africans alike) pronounce it like she did. Thus, making it have a place on this list. The city (in Illinois, USA) is pronounced she-cargo and not some other incorrect pronunciation.

Champagne: sham-pain.

#NobodyIsAboveMistakes
God bless Nigeria.

*modified* the correct and incorrect pronunciations are in italics. I can't tell why it's not reflecting as such

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 02, 2016
Will this give the average Nigerian a job?
by the way thanks!.

1 Like

Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by fawaz050(m): 3:33pm On Apr 02, 2016
if agbero slap u g junction ehn u no go no when u go dey make d same mistakes u r correcting
Anyways,Gbayiwink

1 Like

Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 02, 2016
fawaz050:
if agbero slap u g junction ehn u no go no when u go dey make d same mistakes u r correcting
Anyways,Gbayiwink
They don slap u b4 abi?
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by fawaz050(m): 4:41pm On Apr 02, 2016
MzLarem:
They don slap u b4 abi?
Igboro Lawa o :8
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by fawaz050(m): 4:42pm On Apr 02, 2016
MzLarem:
They don slap u b4 abi?

But make i no lie i no dey stay for here dem dey fight oo grin.i value my teeth
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 02, 2016
fawaz050:

But make i no lie i no dey stay for here dem dey fight oo grin.i value my teeth
Lazy fowl..
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by xender(m): 5:46pm On Apr 02, 2016
chaii .they tell da guy word. |
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by fawaz050(m): 6:24pm On Apr 02, 2016
MzLarem:
Lazy fowl..
No go show for where i dey para o,i go just use bottle draw map of Africa for ur bodyangry
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by babyfaceafrica: 9:10pm On Apr 02, 2016
Nice one....but please note,some of these suppose mistake that people make in prounciation are because of where they come from....instead of shift ..ibadan will say sifT....instead of director,and igbo man will say dilector....instead of people and hausa will will feofu...accents and other sociolinguitics factors affect peoples pronouciation...all in all the thread is gud for people that want to learn...like they say in the streets'''''who pronunciation don help''?...

1 Like

Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Nobody: 11:31pm On Apr 02, 2016
fawaz050:
No go show for where i dey para o,i go just use bottle draw map of Africa for ur bodyangry
they give urself hope..
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Dayhorla: 12:11am On Apr 03, 2016
Hhmmm, the words are many o... Very educative though
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by faray: 1:20am On Apr 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Nobody: 7:07am On Apr 03, 2016
Omo I dull o, every damn word, back to back na im I dey pronounce wrongly. And na A1 I dey always get for school that time for English o. Bet why? sad

By the way, OP, how dem take dey pronounce 'ponmo', something tells me I'm pronouncing it wrongly.
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by smartesboys(m): 10:35am On Apr 03, 2016
Thanks, understandable accents is really good, it's difficult to pronounce many word correctly because it's not our mother's tougue, don't worry about it as your term sounds understandable
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Mustay(m): 11:50am On Apr 03, 2016
Thanks for the post. However, I disagree with:

1. SWORD: the "grin" being silent - /sɔɹd/. That's an emoticon - ok, the D being silent.

2. Hotel Suit: I believe this is SUITE, not SUIT though I see that the use of the latter is archaic.

3. Chicago: just like Liecester, this one is not our fault. This has to do with places one may not be familiar with. Afterall, how many can pronounce "Awka", "Kontagora" or "Illesa" properly? Even the popular Sokoto, how many people avoid the use of "Sh"?

§Trafficator: reminds me about the fact that there's no word such as 'trafficate' or 'trafficating'. The word is not a verb.

1 Like

Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2016
Lalasticlala ...na Sunday school be dis grin

1. Oshodi : osho-di
2. Ekiti : a-kiti
3. Ambode : arm-bode
4. Mynd44: mind44
5. Barcelona: bass-o-lona
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by eitsei(m): 12:53pm On Apr 03, 2016
Also fatal is pronounced /fetl/ and not fa-tal
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 12:53pm On Apr 03, 2016
Op you made mistakes

Vitamins:
Americans call it vai-ta-mins while British call it vitamins.

Okra:

Okra is coined from the Igbo word okro or even more correctly okwuru. Okra is the anglicised form of it
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Nobody: 1:44pm On Apr 03, 2016
Nice...!
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by TheAziz: 3:55pm On Apr 03, 2016
this is enlightening
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by LOGICALKEN: 4:30pm On Apr 03, 2016
Noted....... But i don't take everything i see or read on net HOOK, LINE AND SINKER
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by wordcat(m): 5:00pm On Apr 03, 2016
Determinism:
Okra: this popular pod is fondly pronounced ok-roh. It's correct pronunciation is in fact ok-ra.

There's nothing like Okra but Okwuru or Okro.

1 Like

Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by PrettyHausaGirl(f): 5:32pm On Apr 03, 2016
U mean Bomb is 'omb'
i no agree!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ens6AS4-BSA
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by Allwility: 5:43pm On Apr 03, 2016
OP American English differs from British English and same goes for New Zealand and Australian English. All these forms of English is considered acceptable. How dare you tell me Nigerian English is incorrect
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by gsparks01(m): 6:19pm On Apr 03, 2016
sword has a silent 'D' in whc English version sir?
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by heykims(m): 6:27pm On Apr 03, 2016
Op go siddon abeg.
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by NnamdiN: 6:38pm On Apr 03, 2016
Sword- I believe "W" is the silent letter here not " D "
PrettyHausaGirl:
U mean Bomb is 'omb'
it's "bom not omb. The last b is the silent one.
babyfaceafrica:
instead of director,and igbo man will say dilector
not true. It's Mostly Anambra people that have issues with "R" and "L"

1 Like

Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by jorospet2(m): 6:45pm On Apr 03, 2016
Nice one.
Lalasticlala, please move this to the permanent site. cheesy
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by knostbrown01(m): 8:13pm On Apr 03, 2016
Is not To-may-toe..... The correct answer is Tomaaaati grin
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by babyfaceafrica: 8:42pm On Apr 03, 2016
NnamdiN:
Sword- I believe "W" is the silent letter here not " D "
it's "bom not omb. The last b is the silent one. not true. It's Mostly Anambra people that have issues with "R" and "L"
that is a lie...R is an allophone of L ....ala and ara are both madness in igbo Language
Re: Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians by NnamdiN: 8:53pm On Apr 03, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
that is a lie...R is an allophone of L ....ala and ara are both madness in igbo Language
lol are you igbo?
I'm from anambra, I've got the "r and l" ish even though it doesn't happen all the time.
Ara is central igbo and it means madness
However it's just anambrarians and some parts of imo and Enugu that call it "ala". The rest call it "ara". My point is, it's not a general thing. Let's not derail the thread sha

(1) (2) (Reply)

Norway Prison Vs UNILAG Hostel. What A Pity! (Photos) / Laspotech Year 2012/2013 Part-time Admission Form.. / Imo State University Post-utme For 2015/2016 Academic Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.