Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,208 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike (11346 Views)

ASUU Suspends Nationwide Strike / Breaking News: COEASU Suspends Nationwide Strike / Just In....ASUU Suspends Nationwide Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by Rapsowdee01(m): 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2017
The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) has suspended its nationwide strike 15 days after the industrial action began.

National President of ASUP, Mr Usman Duste, announced this on Wednesday during the union’s 14th National Delegates Conference at the Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic, Bauchi state.

He said the decision to suspend the strike followed the series of meetings held between the leadership of the union and the Federal Government.

According to him, both parties agreed to a Memorandum of Settlement and Action (MoS) on each of the issues raised by the union.

“The union considered the suspension to give an opportunity for implementation of the content of Memorandum of Settlement and Action, and shall be reviewed according to the timelines outlined in the MoS,” Duste said.

The decision to commence an indefinite strike was the outcome of the National Executive Council meeting of ASUP which held on November 11 at the Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna State.

According to the union, the industrial action followed the failure of the Federal Government to implement all the agreements it entered with them since 2016.

Some of the demands included non-implementation of the NEEDS Assessment Report and shortfalls in personnel releases and withdrawal of allowances.

Others were non-passage of the amended bill of the Polytechnic Act, alleged infractions in the appointment of rectors, as well as improving the conditions of state-owned institutions among other issues.

The union had lamented that despite the long period given to the government to address some of the issues it had raised, government did not consider it necessary to address the demands for improved funding of polytechnic education in the country.

Dutse had also told reporters after the Council meeting that ASUP had given government sufficient time to implement all the agreements, saying they had no choice than to embark on an indefinite strike after the expiration of the 21-day ultimatum issued earlier.

“On October 24, a reconciliation meeting was convened by the Federal Ministry of Labour in Abuja. The ministry in the eye of the storm, the Federal Ministry of Education, was poorly represented that no memorandum of action was agreed on.

“This clearly shows the level of disdain and disrespect with which the issues of the sector are being handled by the relevant agencies. In view of the above, our union resolved in its emergency meeting of NEC on October 31, 2017 to commence an indefinite and comprehensive strike effective from November 13, 2017,” he had said.

https://www.channelstv.com/2017/11/29/15-days-after-asup-suspends-nationwide-strike/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by Rapsowdee01(m): 5:50pm On Nov 29, 2017
Beht why ??!!!!

cc. Lalasticlala
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by TheHistorian(m): 5:50pm On Nov 29, 2017
Thank God!!!

I hope this triggers Oyo state owned institution(s) to suspend their internal strike action too.

Once again,I'm super elated. wink

5 Likes

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by nnamdismart25(m): 6:26pm On Nov 29, 2017
thank God oh, but they should have waited till January, by the way I dedicate this front page to all polytechnic students

5 Likes

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by nnamdismart25(m): 6:29pm On Nov 29, 2017
lalala move to the permanent site

1 Like

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by iamleumas: 6:56pm On Nov 29, 2017
Opeo
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by tolexy123: 7:04pm On Nov 29, 2017
Lemme go and book private jet... Money don come for my business
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by iamleumas: 7:14pm On Nov 29, 2017
grin

9 Likes

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by NwaAmaikpe: 7:14pm On Nov 29, 2017
shocked

I pity members of all these unions.

Their Union leaders use them to enrich themselves.
When they go broke, they declare strike,

Government never meets their demands because they know everyone has a price, besides all Nigerians are corrupt.
So they call their ogas and a few brown envelopes exchange hands, then the strike is over.

The government buys some time,
The Union leaders smile to the bank
The members of the union wallow in penury.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by iamleumas: 7:14pm On Nov 29, 2017
Asup
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by BUHARImyDOG: 7:15pm On Nov 29, 2017

��������

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 29, 2017
The solution is simple

Fees go up

Or we beg IMF for a loan of 200bn dollars

1 Like

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by adeblow(m): 7:15pm On Nov 29, 2017
I think they should have gotten what they want before suspending the strike because that is how they tricked we members of MHWUN into suspending our strike with the promise of implementing our demands within 5 weeks, and yet nothing up till now counting about 7 weeks.
The only language government understands is strike undecided

2 Likes

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by michaelfriday44(m): 7:16pm On Nov 29, 2017
ooh why nw. y not after two months
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by timilehin95(m): 7:17pm On Nov 29, 2017
Y now, i was praying for it to last 3 months cry
Yabatech nd stress.. Na wa oo

3 Likes

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by BUHARImyDOG: 7:17pm On Nov 29, 2017
iamleumas:
Asup

No supu
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Government never meets their demands because they know everyone has a price, besides all Nigerians are corrupt.
So they call their ogas and a few brown envelopes exchange hands, then the strike is over.

In 2013, ASUP and the then minister of education signed an agreement that everyone was pleased with, except for salaries and wages commission.

The problem with our education system is like that of the old woman who lives in the shoe, too many kids..ie too many schools, limited funding, with looting on top matter
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by anonymuz(m): 7:23pm On Nov 29, 2017
Unionism is gone in Nigeria starting from the time of oshiomole. Imagine school authorities buying SuG With cars and SuG dues.

2 Likes

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

you get sense, see as you explain the logic behind strike action

1 Like

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by donprincebigt(m): 7:48pm On Nov 29, 2017
do I av any mapoly student here ? lol

2 Likes

Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by dyydxx: 7:59pm On Nov 29, 2017
donprincebigt:
do I av any mapoly student here ?
lol

any info on school?
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by Spanner4(m): 8:17pm On Nov 29, 2017
They should have extended it......dont want any stress for now...make I face my work for now
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by Lanre4uonly(m): 8:20pm On Nov 29, 2017
It is well with our education sector.
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by donprincebigt(m): 8:26pm On Nov 29, 2017
dyydxx:

any info on school?
when to start ur exam is d priority now
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by Prudent5217: 8:48pm On Nov 29, 2017
I Just Hope Mapoly wouldn’t start another internal strike fed up with all of these dramas between lecturers and Government
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by tsamson(m): 9:16pm On Nov 29, 2017
Good news for the Polytecnic students,
Just Hoping this would Motivate the Oyo State ASUP to suspend theirs too...

ALUTA CONTINUA...
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by onlyson16(m): 9:59pm On Nov 29, 2017
nnamdismart25:
lalala move to the permanent site

No be Ufuma u live waiting concern with pamsite
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by Franky9584(m): 10:06pm On Nov 29, 2017
I no most student no go like this, esp those wey wan go hustle for Xmas ....chai!!!
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by pabostt: 11:08pm On Nov 29, 2017
Nigerian Institutions and strike are 5 and 6. Anyway, good development
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by ayoyonet(m): 12:11am On Nov 30, 2017
Nice
Re: Asup Suspends Nationwide Strike by master69(m): 4:16am On Nov 30, 2017
Were they on strike before?.... i dont even know wen our Nigeria polytechnics are on strikes again.....nawaooo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015/2016 Unilag Postgraduate(masters, PGD & Phd) Application Form Now On Sale! / Dupe Ademola-Popoola Develops TELVIS, Blindness Detection Kit / World University Ranking- Top Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.