Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,269 members, 7,818,925 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? (1438 Views)

“ounce For Ounce, BokoHaram Is Equal To The Nigerian Military,” USA / Yar'adua Interviewed By BBC: He's Alive Afterall! / Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 12:55am On Jul 30, 2009
tpia.:

[size=14pt]
However, most of the so-called "restructuring" isnt for the common good but rather just for some interest groups to "emerge" as overlords. ie gain territory.[/size]

This is exactly what I suspect, and believe all this is about!! !

We are talking about Nigerians at the end of the day. . . .  It is not that any thing has really changed
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by bawomolo(m): 1:02am On Jul 30, 2009
tpia you right. let me not kill the dreams of some people  cheesy
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 1:13am On Jul 30, 2009
i dun get it. what are you and tpia talking about?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Nobody: 1:27am On Jul 30, 2009
oyinda.:

i dun get it. what are you and tpia talking about?

bawomolo himself doesnt understand what I'm talking about.

comments like these

why not stick it out in Nigeria just mess with the unknown?

elicit a type of destructive rage in some hearers that other people are unable to fathom.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Nemeziz9ja: 2:18pm On Jul 30, 2009
grin

Nigerians again!!!
Nigeria is a fragile entity enjoying a "borrowed" political peace due to the resilience of some ethnic groups. Imagine what would happen if everyone goes the way of the Niger Deltans, afterall every group already have a semblance grouse with the country.
Sooner or later, the country will be balkanized and then every group will now start afresh,
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by nex(m): 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2009
If we do not want to keep Nigeria the way it is right now, I'll suggest we either bring in all those ethnic groups found in Nigeria but living outside Nigeria back to us so we can have an even border covering all our people.

So rather than joining Benin Republic, I believe they should be the ones joining us, the Northern Benin which are Fulanis will also join their brothers in Sokoto, the Adamaoua in Cameroun can join the Adamawa in Nigeria and the Hausa in Niger Republic can also join their Hausa brothers in Nigeria. We will become a greater Nation bring all components that were shaved off by European colonialists back together.

Otherwise, let everybody go their own way. Every single tribe in Nigeria should form their own nation because obviously, if we can't all live together, then even some can't live together.

Fulani, Ilaje, Auchi, Kanuri, Itsekiri, Tiv, Igbo, Igbira, Efik, Hausa, Calabar, Yoruba, Ijaw, Benin, Urhobo et al, they should have their separate nations. After all, Equatorial Guinea just near us has a population of less than a million and they've not died.

We either stay completely together or totally apart.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Vealkyrie(f): 7:29pm On Jul 30, 2009
sunboy:

Nigeria's amalgamation was a marriage of inconvenience ,  only GOD fit unite us, since Britico style no work.

^^^^^The Hausas and the Yorubas are two different kinds of people. After travelling to Sokoto for the first time, the whole place was alien to me and i found the people of this region might well belong to another world as far as i was concerned. The colonial masters had no understanding of this difference which was why the whole amalgamation is nothing short of chess-playing.

Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 7:31pm On Jul 30, 2009
Vealkyrie:

^^^^^The Hausas and the Yorubas are two different kinds of people. After travelling to Sokoto for the first time, the whole place was alien to me and i found the people of this region might well belong to another world as far as i was concerned.

Try staying in new york for about a month, and then take a trip out to montgomery alabama right after and tell me you do not get the same feeling. Lol
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Vealkyrie(f): 7:39pm On Jul 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Try staying in new york for about a month, and then take a trip out to montgomery alabama right after and tell me you do not get the same feeling. Lol

^^^^^^^But you have to admit the colonial masters had little or no knowledge of the vast African hinterland. Africa was a chessboard with European statesmen and diplomats bargaining over seperate spheres that interest them. They only drew straight lines on the map and taking little or no account of the myriad of traditional monarchies, chiefdoms and other African societies that long existed on the ground.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Jul 30, 2009
Vealkyrie:

^^^^^^^But you have to admit the colonial masters had little or no knowledge of the vast African hinterland. Africa was a chessboard with European statesmen and diplomats bargaining over seperate spheres that interest them. They only drew straight lines on the map and taking little or no account of the myriad of traditional monarchies, chiefdoms and other African societies that long existed on the ground.

I don't agree with you. This has little to nothing to do with those you continue to claim to be your colonial masters, even 50 years after the fact.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Vealkyrie(f): 7:47pm On Jul 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I don't agree with you. This has little to nothing to do with those you continue to claim to be your colonial masters, even 50 years after the fact.

^^^^^^So why are the Hausas(predominantly Islamists) are in the same country with the Igbos and Yorubas? Think about having Iraqis and the Jews in the same country. The problem starts with the religion. The Northerners see the rest of the country as infidels and unbelievers. Tribalism amongst other things are the reasons Nigeria as a country is lagging behind.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On Jul 30, 2009
Vealkyrie:

^^^^^^So why are the Hausas(predominantly Islamists) are in the same country with the Igbos and Yorubas? Think about having Iraqis and the Jews in the same country. The problem starts with the religion. The Northerners see the rest of the country as infidels and unbelievers. Tribalism amongst other things are the reasons Nigeria as a country is lagging behind.

First off. There is not place where it is written that Hausas cannot live with Yorubas or Jews cannot live with Iraqis/Iranians. There are Hausa's married to Yorubas that have had absolutely no problem in there union. Instead of trying to focus on the shallow, we need to dig deeper to understand that this is not about Hausa Yoruba considering there have been yoruba families living in the north for decades who have never had a problem with their neighbours or those in their communities. Same applies to Hausas. Many have lived in places like Ondo, Lagos etc with no problems of any sort.

About religion, doesn't the fact that there are Islamic Yorubas and Islamic Ibos throw that argument of yours way out? I mean come on. Are you going to say you never lived near a Yoruba muslim?? Please, try to deal with root issues, rather than focusing on the hate mirror we continue to put up against those WE Are UNWILLING to deal with and accept as being our equals.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Vealkyrie(f): 8:07pm On Jul 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

About religion, doesn't the fact that there are Islamic Yorubas and Islamic Ibos throw that argument of yours way out? I mean come on. Are you going to say you never lived near a Yoruba muslim?? Please, try to deal with root issues, rather than focusing on the hate mirror we continue to put up against those WE Are UNWILLING to deal with and accept as being our equals.

^^^^^^Learn to differentiate between muslims and Islamic extremists. You mentioned the fact that Hausa/Yoruba have always co-existed without problems but who are the Northerners maiming in the North anytime there's a riot? Their neighbours or aliens? The Igbos also do the same in retaliation in the East. If this theory of coexistence really hold water, why do we have militants like OPC, Arewa, Bakassi and MEND protecting each of their own interest in Nigeria. When will Nigerians stop pretending it's all good in the hood?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 8:16pm On Jul 30, 2009
Vealkyrie:

^^^^^^Learn to differentiate between muslims and Islamic extremists. You mentioned the fact that Hausa/Yoruba have always co-existed without problems but who are the Northerners maiming in the North anytime there's a riot?

So you do admit that there are islamists and then there are Islamic extremists but in the same breath you lop all Northerners into the category of Islamic extremists? I am sorry, but aren’t you getting confused right about now?

Vealkyrie:

Their neighbours or aliens? The Igbos also do the same in retaliation in the East. If this theory of coexistence really hold water, why do we have militants like OPC, Arewa, Bakassi and MEND protecting each of their own interest in Nigeria. When will Nigerians stop pretending it's all good in the hood?

Again, it is not about coexistence holding water NOW, it has been that way for decades. Open your eyes to see that prior to all this nonsense we seem to be pushing online, Hausas and yorubas have been coexisting with no problems. I know at least 2 ibo men married to hausa woman, and at least one Yoruba gal married to an hausa man. Not sure why you suddenly want to paint a picture of these groups having some force that keeps them from ever coming together.

You really are asking me why we have militants in Nigeria? Never mind the corruption, the government constantly ignoring the needs of the people and trampling on the rights of our kids everyday, you mean the only way you can make sense of OPC, MEND, Arewa and the likes is when you bring religion and ethnic differences to the table? Is it really any wonder why the problems persist?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 8:19pm On Jul 30, 2009
wouldn't the world be a better place if ethnicity disappeared or took second place to nationality?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by asha80(m): 8:21pm On Jul 30, 2009
oyinda.:

wouldn't the world be a better place if ethnicity disappeared or took second place to nationality?

Tell that to God that made us speak different languages and have different ideologies to life.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Vealkyrie(f): 8:32pm On Jul 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So you do admit that there are islamists and then there are Islamic extremists but in the same breath you lop all Northerners into the category of Islamic extremists? I am sorry, but aren’t you getting confused right about now?

^^^^^^There's no confusion in my statement. To nullify any sort of threat, the Hausas should have their own sovereign state and stop the religious killings in 2009. Almost 50 years after independence and Nigeria are still engaged in religious wars, distasteful.

Kobojunkie:

Again, it is not about coexistence holding water NOW, it has been that way for decades. Open your eyes to see that prior to all this nonsense we seem to be pushing online, Hausas and yorubas have been coexisting with no problems. I know at least 2 ibo men married to hausa woman, and at least one Yoruba gal married to an hausa man. Not sure why you suddenly want to paint a picture of these groups having some force that keeps them from ever coming together.

^^^^^^I also know more than 25 Zionists who married Germans. We should then assume there has never been any hatred between the those countries. I will call a spade a spade. The whole Nigerian Unity is a fraud to cheat out minority groups. How many leaders have ruled Nigeria? How many of them are Hausas? How many are Igbos? Why are we yet to have an Igbo president?

Kobojunkie:

You really are asking me why we have militants in Nigeria? Never mind the corruption, the government constantly ignoring the needs of the people and trampling on the rights of our kids everyday, you mean the only way you can make sense of OPC, MEND, Arewa and the likes is when you bring religion and ethnic differences to the table?  Is it really any wonder why the problems persist?

^^^^^^Corruption will reign in a country where the people don't trust themselves based on religion, tribe and other things. I was told the people from Sokoto are branded as 'Born To Rule'. Are the others born to serve? When Nigerians start trusting one another in general, corruption will stop. An Igbo man in the senate knows his days are numbered so he makes it count by stealing as much as possible. Nigeria is a complex country. European negotiators enclosed hundreds of diverse and independent groups, with no common history, culture, language or religion. How can Nigeria contain 250 ethno-linguistic groups and you expect things to work?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 8:35pm On Jul 30, 2009
oyinda.:

Nigeria is not the only problem where people have to deal with ethnicity. The problem is individuals unable to handle the fact that there are people from other groups out there mask it with the claim that we are so different we cannot get along.

The problem in that nations has very very little to do with ethnicity or religion but over the years we have, allowed ourselves to be manipulated, mostly by power hungry, corrupt individuals into believing these differences are a major part of the issues we have, knowing full well that, just like skin color and IQ, you can do next to nothing to effective change these. So while we are stuck like animals dwelling on these, they continue to loot and pillage.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Jul 30, 2009
Vealkyrie:

^^^^^^There's no confusion in my statement. To nullify any sort of threat, the Hausas should have their own sovereign state and stop the religious killings in 2009. Almost 50 years after independence and Nigeria are still engaged in religious wars, distasteful.

I asked you of confusion because your own statement seems a bit twisted. So to you Muslims are not extremists but you classify all of the North as extremists? You do realize that Religion was never on the table 50 years ago? I mean you have to know that this came in as an add on, more recently, right?

Vealkyrie:

^^^^^^I also know more than 25 Zionists who married Germans. We should then assume there has never been any hatred between the those countries. I will call a spade a spade. The whole Nigerian Unity is a fraud to cheat out minority groups. How many leaders have ruled Nigeria? How many of them are Hausas? How many are Igbos? Why are we yet to have an Igbo president?

Let me get this straight, to you, if 25 Zionists are able to get over their so called Hate to go as far as to marry Germans, it is still valid to claim that there exists hatred between Zionists and Germans?

You do know that saying that line “The whole Nigerian Unity is a fraud to cheat out minority groups.” Over and over 1000 times will not make it fact?

Leaders from different tribes have led that nation at all levels. Funny thing is those you claim are the minority are currently being duped by leaders from their own tribe. Not sure why anyone would continue to put that aside to make some bogus claim on here in this day and age, given all we know of today.

Does an Ibo president mean Ibos will never be without? Again Ibos have had leaders in most all Areas to date, that has yet to better there lot. Soludo just stepped down after about 6 years. How has that worked out for the Ibos? Iwu has been INEC chair for a while now, how has that worked out for Ibos? I am really having a hard time figuring out how an adult can reason that only if a group gets a president in the house will their lot be better.

Look at the case in America. Has the lot of the African Americans improved any in the last 6 or so months that Obama has been in office? Come on!! THINK!!! That is all I ask.

Vealkyrie:

^^^^^^Corruption will reign in a country where the people don't trust themselves based on religion, tribe and other things. I was told the people from Sokoto are branded as 'Born To Rule'. Are the others born to serve?

So if someone comes up with a claim that people from a place are born with 10 heads, you will take it as fact? Na wa ooO!!!

Funny statement there about corruption being linked to lack of trust on the religious or tribal levels. Seriously warped connection if you ask me. I am truly astonished that you can easily make such a connection. It is mindboggling that this would come down to religion being linked to the reason why Nigeria is not working, when only a couple of years ago, under military rule, the concept of religion as an issue was practically nonexistent.

Vealkyrie:

When Nigerians start trusting one another in general, corruption will stop.

I disagree with you on the first. Trust is about accountability and corruption has more to do with the fact that we do not hold those we call our leaders accountable but are busy squabbling over the mundane, giving them go ahead to continue doing as they like.

Vealkyrie:

An Igbo man in the senate knows his days are numbered so he makes it count by stealing as much as possible.

Yet there are ibo men in senate today, working to enrich their own pockets and barely doing anything to help their precious ibo people? Ibo governors are daily pocketing money meant for the state and even walking around as gods and you think I am stupid enough to swallow this ridiculousness? Do you mind feeding that cock and bull story to someone else? Lol

Vealkyrie:

Nigeria is a complex country. European negotiators enclosed hundreds of diverse and independent groups, with no common history, culture, language or religion. How can Nigeria contain 250 ethno-linguistic groups and you expect things to work?

Oh please spare me!!
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Beaf: 9:09pm On Jul 30, 2009
Diversity is detrimental to development. It has been proven over and over.
Clinging to one Nigeria is all just sentimental. We have never sat down to talk about the basis of our co-existence, so there is no basis for the nation. We are really only bumbling from low to lower low. Why force things?
http://www.econ.upf.edu/~reynal/jde_marta_jose.pdf
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Vealkyrie(f): 9:20pm On Jul 30, 2009

@ Kobojunkie,

^^^^^^^Religion was not on the table 50 years ago because the colonial masters saw Africa as a chessboard where straight lines, arcs and diagonal lines can be used to enclose people. They did not take their differences into consideration. See where it got us.

^^^^^^3000 Israelis marrying Germans cannot erase the fact that Hitler murdered six million Jews and this is me talking about two countries with a high literacy level and two countries who have come to accept one another unlike Northerners who are still hugging the past.

^^^^^An Igbo president does not mean Abia State will turn to Dubai but it gives them a sense of belonging. Being the governor of Central Bank or INEC is a different proposition to ruling the country. U still compare Obama's America to the present Nigeria? Delusions of grandeur. Nigerians are not Americans. Most of the civil wars in Africa today were caused by the colonial masters and they will not get away in donkey years to come.

^^^^^Did you just say Religion was non-existent in the Military era in Nigeria? Now i know you know little about Nigeria. Did u miss the Zango-Kataf
riots in 1992? Kano riots in 1990, etc? How well do you know Nigeria?

^^^^^I don't care what the Igbo senators are doing enriching themselves. The foundation has creaked from the onset and there's a reason Yorubas, Hausas and Igbos are behaving the way they are. I am talking about tackling the problems from the roots and you are here saying something synonymous to a beer parlour gist. The Hausas brand the others as pagans and infidels, staking claims to the country's wealth and neglecting the others and you don't expect an Igbo senator to steal? These corrupt Yoruba and Igbo men don't see what they are doing as fraudulent. To them, they are taking what rightly belongs to them that they are being cheated of. Something has to erase that mentality first.

Beaf:

Diversity is detrimental to development. It has been proven over and over.
Clinging to one Nigeria is all just sentimental. We have never sat down to talk about the basis of our co-existence, so there is no basis for the nation. We are really only bumbling from low to lower low. Why force things?
http://www.econ.upf.edu/~reynal/jde_marta_jose.pdf

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^100% in agreement.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Jul 30, 2009
@Vealkyrie, we are so on opposite poles that I think it is best we agree to disagree here. I mean I will never agree with anything you have said so far and I am certain you are likely not to see things my way anytime soon. The more I read your posts, the more my heart breaks for the ordinary Nigerian who just wants to live a better life for himself and his kids in all this. That you and many out there think as you do, definitely causes me to believe that things are likely to get worse and I hope that people start to let go of these strong holds so we can focus more on finding solutions to the real problems which I believe have more to do with the fact that we have a system that is being run by rogues and criminals and less on what religion or tribe the man beside me fighting belongs to or clings to. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atuche, Ojo Remanded In Efcc Custody / A National Security Adviser Jonathan Can Trust / Moderator Aisha2, Please Remove Miss Ukachi's Picture From Hall Of Shame Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.