Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,941 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC (10786 Views)

Pictures Only Medical Students Can Relate To / Why Are Medical Students Like This?? {pic} / Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by nairagossip: 10:40am On Apr 05, 2016
Gud

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by nairagossip: 10:44am On Apr 05, 2016
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by thesicilian: 10:45am On Apr 05, 2016
Vivly:

Well, I feel the 11 years in school would act as a check to the multitude of Jamb aspirants seeking medicine. Only people who really have passion for hippocrates or whatever it is the field pledges to do would be willing to go through the 11 years. Also, chances of me seeing half baked docs would be reduced if not totally eliminated. lol.
While it may actually inhibit many others from going in for medicine, it will not in any way increase the quality of doctors being produced. Nigerian doctors are some of the best in the world, just like most other sets of Nigerians - lawyers, architects, engineers, nurses, etc. Its just that when you live in Nigeria, your level of performance is bound to be affected by the Nigerian factor, - no light, no money, no food, no equipment etc - whether you like it or not.

4 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by elitejosef: 11:01am On Apr 05, 2016
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by Vivly(f): 11:02am On Apr 05, 2016
thesicilian:

While it may actually inhibit many others from going in for medicine, it will not in any way increase the quality of doctors being produced. Nigerian doctors are some of the best in the world, just like most other sets of Nigerians - lawyers, architects, engineers, nurses, etc. Its just that when you live in Nigeria, your level of performance is bound to be affected by the Nigerian factor, - no light, no money, no food, no equipment etc - whether you like it or not.
okay doctor, your profession agrees with you.
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 05, 2016
thesicilian:

While it may actually inhibit many others from going in for medicine, it will not in any way increase the quality of doctors being produced. Nigerian doctors are some of the best in the world, just like most other sets of Nigerians - lawyers, architects, engineers, nurses, etc. Its just that when you live in Nigeria, your level of performance is bound to be affected by the Nigerian BG factor, - no light, no money, no food, no equipment etc - whether you like it or not.
Nigerian doctors are some of the best in the world? abeg for where? which world be dat?
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 05, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
I have actually not seen a medical graduate jobless .....its the only course that can boast of that....
Is a lie o, me i-yam-jobless, just trollin' all over nairaland aimlessly. . .
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by babyfaceafrica: 12:01pm On Apr 05, 2016
dhtml18:

Is a lie o, me i-yam-jobless, just trollin' all over nairaland aimlessly. . .
lolz...u don't mean it..all this hospitals wey dey all over the kwantry ko but public and private..you no see anyone do!!
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by DeGee17: 12:28pm On Apr 05, 2016
[i][/i]effectiveness of change in every part of Nigeria government
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by Penboy: 1:17pm On Apr 05, 2016
Nweike1:
This proposed 7 year program is not sensible, means students will have only three years to learn pathology (morbid anatomy, chemical pathology, haematology, microbiology), pharmacology, core clinical medicine (internal medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics), other clinical areas(radiology, anaesthesia, radiotherapy), medical statistics and community medicine
Is that not the norm?!

We learn that from part iv to part vi.
It's called clinicals.
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by frankman365(m): 1:34pm On Apr 05, 2016
Nweike1:
This proposed 7 year program is not sensible, means students will have only three years to learn pathology (morbid anatomy, chemical pathology, haematology, microbiology), pharmacology, core clinical medicine (internal medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics), other clinical areas(radiology, anaesthesia, radiotherapy), medical statistics and community medicine
Pls i would like to know from you what medical students learn in 100 to 300level which is about 3yrs with 3yrs left.
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by Mayflowa(m): 1:37pm On Apr 05, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
I have actually not seen a medical graduate jobless .....its the only course that can boast of that....

Really? I thought so myself until I became close to doctors. I have three young doctors in my family. So believe me when I say doctors have no work in Nigeria.

Holding down a job of 50k per month is a direct stab on the name "doctor" but that is ubiquitous in Edo private hospitals.
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by babyfaceafrica: 1:48pm On Apr 05, 2016
Mayflowa:

Really? I thought so myself until I became close to doctors. I have three young doctors in my family. So believe me when I say doctors have no work in Nigeria.

Holding down a job of 50k per month is a direct stab on the name "doctor" but that is ubiquitous in Edo private hospitals.
hmmm....50k per month is something o.....at least they are not jobless..what would a graduate of. Physics,chemistry,english ,gerography boast off..teaching!!
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by Code45: 4:19pm On Apr 05, 2016
Vivly:
Why oh why! My mind was already in support of 11 years .

Stand up from that your ass and go and spend 11 years studying medicine in school.
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by Mayflowa(m): 4:30pm On Apr 05, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
hmmm....50k per month is something o.....at least they are not jobless..what would a graduate of. Physics,chemistry,english ,gerography boast off..teaching!!

Right now, 50k is nothing in Nigeria. A decent flat will cost you 400k. How do you raise a family?, buy and fuel a car?, how do you get a vacation? With 50K, you can only exist and not live. If a doctor live is reduced to existence, then patients are in trouble.

I know other courses suffer same fate but my argument is about not to increasing the training cost and time of doctors if they are not going to enjoy like their counterparts elsewhere in the world when they graduate. For instant, US doctors are paid upward of 3 million naira per month. Some earn as much as 5 million. If they do two jobs as most nigerian doctors do, you could net 6 million naira a month. That is the country nigeria wants to imitate in terms of training.

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by babyfaceafrica: 4:44pm On Apr 05, 2016
Mayflowa:

Right now, 50k is nothing in Nigeria. A decent flat will cost you 400k. How do you raise a family?, buy and fuel a car?, how do you get a vacation? With 50K, you can only exist and not live. If a doctor live is reduced to existence, then patients are in trouble.

I know other courses suffer same fate but my argument is about not to increasing the training cost and time of doctors if they are not going to enjoy like their counterparts elsewhere in the world when they graduate. For instant, US doctors are paid upward of 3 million naira per month. Some earn as much as 5 million. If they do two jobs as most nigerian doctors do, you could net 6 million naira a month. That is the country nigeria wants to imitate in terms of training.
nice!!!!..but why is there so much vacancy for doctors unlike other discipline?

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by Mayflowa(m): 5:03pm On Apr 05, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
nice!!!!..but why is there so much vacancy for doctors unlike other discipline?

Because people don't play with their health in developed world. Our old people in Nigeria look haggard and broken. You need to see their old people in 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s looking so beautiful and strong. That is the job of systemic and accumulated medical care. So they are always in need of doctors increase doctor-patient ratio. In Nigeria only 28 doctors are available to treat 100,000 people compare to US which has over 2500 doctors to treat 100,000 people.

Insurance also help to create jobs for doctors. One you have health insurance, you wanna visit hospital as much as possible. That means many hospitals are built to accommodate this. Government even encourage doctors to come together to start up health centres and insurance would be the one paying them.

Our biggest problem is leadership. Our leaders deliberate seek to decimate the populace by their action or inaction. They see there are no doctors in hospitals yet they won't employ. They don't have any iota of humanity in them except for self-aggradizement

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by Nyceguy92: 6:20pm On Apr 05, 2016
Nweike1:

I was going to ask same question.
It is not the length but the quality of teaching/learning that matters.

The system as it is presently is good.
Behavioral Sciences and other ancillary subjects are taught right from 1st year.
What is the statistical evidence that the proposed system will produce better doctors?
Re: Medical Students To Spend Seven Years, Not 11 – NUC by jpphilips(m): 3:27pm On Apr 06, 2016
A country filled with fvcktards, you give them news, then come back to explain what they read to them

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 Totally Strange Facts That Will Make You Feel Uneasy / 20,000 Register For Jamb’s UTME In Two Days / Truths Only Few Can Handle... You Were Warned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.