Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC (54091 Views)

Pictures Only Medical Students Can Relate To / Why Are Medical Students Like This?? {pic} / NUC Dismisses The 11 Years Policy For The Training Of Medical Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ade Akanbi, Akure

The National Universities Commission has declared that any student who wants to study medicine will henceforth spend a minimum of 10 years in the university.

The Executive Secretary of the Commission, Prof. Julius Okojie made the declaration in a lecture delivered at the maiden matriculation and inauguration of the University of Medical Science, Ondo, Ondo State.

In a lecture titled : Development of Medical Education : Prospects and Challenges‘, Okojie, who was represented by the Deputy Executive Secretary of the commission, Prof. Chiedu Mafiana, said the development was imperative in order to enable the students mature psychologically for the profession.

He said the 2015 document for the training of medical students made provision for students to spend the first four years in studying basic sciences in university after which they would proceed to the medical school to spend another seven years.

Stressing the need for adequate funding of medical training and practice, the NUC Executive Secretary admonished the management of the institution to ensure that the money earmarked for the development of the institution was used for the purpose it was meant.

The Visitor of the school and Ondo a State governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, in his speech said the university was expected to leverage on the benefits of the medical complex around the institution to advance efforts in medical research and training.

He expressed optimism that the institution would be a leading internationally-recognised platform for raising crops of professionally-competent individuals in the various disciplines of the health care industry.

“It is our hope and belief that it will provide sound scientific, technological and professional training to address identified health needs and problems, solve them within the context of community and national needs and sustainable development,” Mimiko said.

In his address, the Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Friday Okonofua, said the that the university would achieve the objectives for which it was established, appealing to all well-meaning Nigerians to render assistance to the varsity by contributing to the ‘Friends of UNIMED Funds’ initiatives which was targeted at raising N1billion for the school .

He lauded the initiative of the Ondo State government for the establishment of the university describing it as the most creative and innovative idea that has taken place in the development of tertiary education in the country.

http://www.punchng.com/medical-students-to-spend-11-years-in-varsity-−-nuc/

1 Share

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by SUPERPACK: 4:22pm On Mar 14, 2016
11 years to be a doctor, I blame GEJ for this. this is kwarraption.

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by feedthenation(m): 4:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
Is this for real...at this rate most medical students will gladly do their studies in Ghana.

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by SamjohnnyB(m): 4:26pm On Mar 14, 2016
FOR WHAT?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by yungest(m): 4:58pm On Mar 14, 2016
maka why...2read guyton nr b plantain, I go cum do am 4 11yrs?u nr serious

14 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 14, 2016
Highly unnecessary. 8 years is more than enough to study medicine, 4 years in basic medical science and 4 years in medicine. The problem with medical training in Nigeria is not the length of time, but the facilities and infrastructure. I known a school where anatomy students have never seen a cadaver

140 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by rawtouch: 5:00pm On Mar 14, 2016
Unbelievable

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by countsparrow: 5:00pm On Mar 14, 2016
20 yrs + 10 medical years = 30 years....

Because of daily bread...

Music is the way, if una like make una talk say if dem put transformer for my head i no fit blow. I DONT MIND

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by SycophanticGoat: 5:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
Later now, those nurses, lab scientists, cleaners, gatemen, etc, will be asking for same salary scale as doctors.. SmH!

Btw, is our educational system going forward or backward? How many years is spent in studying medicine outside Nigeria? SmH..

Kreamie:
Torture...I'd rather just leave Nigeria

With all these forex palava? shocked shocked shocked

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by babyfaceafrica: 5:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
Lolz......hehehhe.....all those wey dem give biochemistry,microbilogy,CBG and co will gladly take it...una go don hold finish for school before una pass out..no NYSC...chai...God dey

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Reekadict04: 5:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
It's no Problem if they will be offered job immediately with at least N1m/month salary.

angry

46 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
feedthenation:
Is this for real...at this rate most medical students will gladly do their studies in Ghana.
Be licensed and practice in Ghana too.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Namzy(m): 5:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
Bummer..... pity my aspiring colleagues

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by blessedvisky(m): 5:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
Kai. Let's wait and hear what NMA has to say about this.

4 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by MisterGrace: 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
shocked shocked This is ridiculous... like for real?
Ideally, the 9 year thing was okay.
Once one is conversant with the internal environment and its configuration, any other thing should be simpler than it is termed or assumed by others.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Kreamie(m): 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
Torture...I'd rather just leave Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by allansie(m): 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
Buhari sef

4 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by MrPresident1: 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
[size=20pt]Make una dey there dey waste una time, 11 years ko 50 years ni.

Under 6 years Skales don buy big house and big motor, dey dia dey look

Mumu, you wan go spend 11 years to learn fake medicine angry angry angry[/size]

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by abbeycial: 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
am sure the rate of quack docs roaming about necessitated this call

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Emmatdayo(m): 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
na by force to be doctor ni?

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by tobisystem: 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by sonssyo: 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
change everywhere,,funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by IamLEGEND1: 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
then make I start to dey hustle change of course be that na
warrisdiz nónsense

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by slap1(m): 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
Will they cure death after?

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by JeffreyJamez(m): 5:03pm On Mar 14, 2016
11years...
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Millz404(m): 5:03pm On Mar 14, 2016
If them like make dem spend 20 years.... If doctor too long, nurse dey

3 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Benjom(m): 5:03pm On Mar 14, 2016
God have mercy.
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by epmmiks: 5:03pm On Mar 14, 2016
Yes. To enable them deal with the delicateness of the human body properly
So anyone that decides to still do medicine now will do it out of a need and passion

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by samuel051: 5:03pm On Mar 14, 2016
Wetin concern me,my pop na month end.

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:03pm On Mar 14, 2016
i laugh in swahili
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Siberia101: 5:03pm On Mar 14, 2016
Are we moving forward or backward in Nigeria?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Who Returned To Secondary School After Child Bearing Graduates / Hilarious Note A Student Left For Her Roommate Fond Of Eating Her Food (pix) / Age: David Okorogheye Denied Admission From Studying Medicine For Being 15 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.