Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,616 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina (34505 Views)

5 NYSC Corpers Kidnapped In Katsina / Corper Brutalized By The Police In Katsina, His Pastor Flogged (Photos) / "Corper's Finger Cut Off In Katsina" - Twitter User Says (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 7:22am On Apr 05, 2016
Good morning house. I am a corp member serving in Katsina. I will be rounding up my service here in Katsina State on the 14th of april. I serve at a Government owned school in Katsina State (Government Day Secondary School, 35 battalion barracks, Natsinta, Katsina) with State code no KT/15A/1141.I enjoy working with my co-teachers, teaching and interacting with my students.
Although, the school is a government school in a typical nothern setting, in which the standard of education can not be compared to what is obtained over there in the south. However I discovered that there are exceptional, brilliant and talented students in the school and generally in the north. What they just need is a platform through which they can express themselves, a positive attitude towards western education, encouragement from all and sundry (government included), and extra motivation.
As a mathematics teacher at my PPA, I discovered that there are students that are quite brilliant and intelligent in my classes even though "turanshi" (english) tends to be a problem for them. This made me organise a mathematics quiz competition between my school and a private school(The Nigerian Army Officers Wives Association, NAOWA) secondary school also inside the barracks. This is actually geared towards enlightening the students, giving them confidence and trying my own best in a little way to erase the erroneous belief that they are less better than students in the south. Although my school won, they (the students of both schools) were made to understand that It's not just about winning but having confidence in themselves, seeing the result of relentless effort, which can be applicable in other areas of their lives, and most importantly getting them prepared for their SSC Exams, which they will write next year because the questions were WAEC standard questions.
Prizes were also presented to the students involved in the competition and other participants at the event

RECOMMENDATIONS.
1. One of the major problems I discovered in the course of my service year is the fact that the students are not really motivated to study in school. Most times, the teachers try their best but I observed that the best form of motivation a child can obtain as it pertains to his or her education comes from home, which in most cases does nt exist here in Katsina state and probably in the north generally. Western education is not encouraged from/at home unlike Islamic education here in the north. I hope it changes when this present generation grow up.
Futhermore, Parents are admonished to motivate and encourage their wards to go to school expecially here in the north, as this form of encouragement exceeds any one they can get from the school

2. Another thing I noticed which I feel should be worked upon is the fact that teachers, principals and other administrative staff are fond of communicating with the students in hausa language expecially from junior secondary level, which they try to correct at the senior level but It's usually too late by that time. It's in Katsina here that I saw an SS2 student that can not even tell a teacher in english that she wants to go and collect something. Also I've seen some that do not understand basic words and even greetings in english.
This habit should be stopped, expect WAEC examinations will be written in hausa language.

Pictures of this event will come up shortly.

27 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by tooman: 7:37am On Apr 05, 2016
u try nah

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by xender(m): 8:07am On Apr 05, 2016
booked
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by babyfaceafrica: 10:59am On Apr 05, 2016
Ok
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 11:29am On Apr 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by babyfaceafrica: 11:34am On Apr 05, 2016
[quote author=korlahwarleh post=44424046][/quote]how many northern baes u do?
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 1:38pm On Apr 05, 2016
pic 1: students representing my school in the quiz pic 2: students representing the other school pic 3: a cross section of students of both schools in the hall

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 1:45pm On Apr 05, 2016
pic 4: A fellow corp member and former classmate helping out with the display and projection of the questions

pic 5: presentation of gifts to the participants

2 Likes

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 2:04pm On Apr 05, 2016
pic 6,7,8,9,10
presentation of gifts to the participants

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 2:17pm On Apr 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 2:39pm On Apr 05, 2016
pic 11:The winners and me, taking a picture together.

3 Likes

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 2:46pm On Apr 05, 2016
pic 12: One of the quiz questions being displayed on the screen

Pic 13: Addressing the students

2 Likes

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 3:03pm On Apr 05, 2016
pic 14: my students taking a group picture
pic 15: with my fellow corp members that made the whole thing possible

3 Likes

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by korlahwarleh: 3:06pm On Apr 05, 2016
mods pls do the needful o

2 Likes

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by obongtunji: 4:44pm On Apr 05, 2016
Weldon sir, more grace.

Mod, waiting for the needful to be done

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 05, 2016
Northern schools are nothing to write home about.. I did my secondary school in Kano... although I received quality education simply because its a private school. But I can tell you the government schools in the north is so so bad.. pupils sit on the floor, the schools are dilapidated .. the pupils come to school anytime they like... SMH.. those in the north will understand what I'm saying ... ko ba haka ba ne?? undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by Drdonzeez(m): 5:33pm On Apr 05, 2016
Thumbs up bro! but you short like me sha.my people,If you think so,click like.

2 Likes

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by Drdonzeez(m): 5:41pm On Apr 05, 2016
Thumbs up bro! but you short like like me share.my people,If you think so,click like.

cc:lalasticlala
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by lanxlot(m): 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2016
Na research u dun organize so na...wetin b ur name jare mah de quote u. According to a corper(2016).

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by herboshedhe(f): 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2016
Kudos to you bro

More grease to your elbow
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by Jalubarika(m): 6:53pm On Apr 05, 2016
You don Epp dem.
That doesn't mean that you're safe when clash comes up.
I have a phobia standing in their midst esp. on Fridays

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by jaelz(m): 6:55pm On Apr 05, 2016
Nice one bro i smell state awards near by
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by dadaojames(m): 6:56pm On Apr 05, 2016
Kudos
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by femi4: 6:57pm On Apr 05, 2016
Omo this guy na born to teach o.
If I see your CV for any oil Company, I go burn am

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by fulanimafia: 6:57pm On Apr 05, 2016
CaptainECole:
Northern schools are nothing to write home about.. I did my secondary school in Kano... although I received quality education simply because its a private school. But I can tell you the government schools in the north is so so bad.. pupils sit on the floor, the schools are dilapidated .. the pupils come to school anytime they like... SMH.. those in the north will understand what I'm saying ... ko ba haka ba ne?? undecided

What exactly is the purpose of this comment? Is it news that our educational infrastructure nationwide is inadequate? I served in the south as well and it's the same story with most government institutions, what we need to profer are solutions instead.

18 Likes

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 05, 2016
for that 14th pic....that gal and guy in the middle Na anoda world dem dey #loveinkt

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by SPG4U(m): 6:59pm On Apr 05, 2016
good
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by Pavore9: 6:59pm On Apr 05, 2016
It is inspiring.
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by olaolaking: 7:00pm On Apr 05, 2016
I am proud of you. I really wish I can also involve myself in similar project. GOOD GOOD GOOD.
But you give them Gala as gifts?

I think what you have done will work but there must be consistency
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by dayowunmi(m): 7:00pm On Apr 05, 2016
Good job Bro, keep it up
Re: Mathematics Quiz Competition I Organized Between two schools here In Katsina by Sunnypa11(m): 7:00pm On Apr 05, 2016
God bless you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Burial Of Corper Who Drowned While Swimming In Delta State (Photos) / Corper Lawal Auwal Kontagora Shot Dead In Kaduna While Visiting Female Friend / Processional March For The Female Corper That Died At NYSC Camp In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.