Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,377 members, 7,812,094 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems (5176 Views)

What Was God Doing Before He Created The Universe? / Mbaka Raises Alarm About Buhari's Life & Current Situation Of Things / Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by virginboy1(m): 11:34am On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Good work plaetton. Attack God and faith by taking advantage of the suffering of the people.

What handwork of God will pacify your hatred of religion?

What good will it be to tell you that God is moving at the root of the problem by changing the mindset of our youth against corruption, tribalism, violence, hatred?

For the good of those genuinely interested, Gods primary work is changing the hearts of people. You cannot have a new world, a new nation, without new men. Eradicate the problem of the evil human nature, and you save humanity's future.

If the Chinese had colonised Nigeria just the way the Europeans did. People like you would have becomed Buddhist and claim that it is the best religion.

Mind you I go to Church but just being realistic here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 11:50am On Apr 06, 2016
virginboy1:

If the Chinese had colonised Nigeria just the way the Europeans did. People like you would have becomed Buddhist and claim that it is the best religion.

Mind you I go to Church but just being realistic here.
missionaries, and not colonialists brought Christianity to many shores. Check your history.

Missionaries are in china right now, and many other places, spreading the light of the gospel irrespective of various nativities
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Logicbwoy: 12:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:
missionaries, and not colonialists brought Christianity to many shores. Check your history.

Missionaries are in china right now, and many other places, spreading the light of the gospel irrespective of various nativities

Many missionaries were also colonialists. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_colonialism

Islam followed wherever Arabs conquered
Christianity followed wherever Europeans conquered

Had Arabs come to the south of Nigeria, you would be claiming that islam is the one true religion

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 12:32pm On Apr 06, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Many missionaries were also colonialists. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_colonialism

Had Arabs come to the south of Nigeria, you would be claiming that islam is the one true religion

Tell that to the indigenous communities that missionaries gave medicine and education to. Mtchew.

The missionaries came first to preach the gospel, Mary slessor came and abolished the killing of twins in calabar. Missionaries came before the colonialists and their cultural domination.

And by your logic if I was born in stalins regime I would be spouting the victories of an atheist state.
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by johnydon22(m): 1:07pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:

Tell that to the indigenous communities that missionaries gave medicine and education to. Mtchew.

The missionaries came first to preach the gospel, Mary slessor came and abolished the killing of twins in calabar. Missionaries came before the colonialists and their cultural domination.

And by your logic if I was born in stalins regime I would be spouting the victories of an atheist state.

Cognitive dissonance is something i see you are quite good at, always going in circles and arguing off point when stumped.

Your argument was rubbished here.

Many missionaries were also colonialists. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Christianity_and_colonialism

Had Arabs come to the south of Nigeria, you would be claiming that islam is
the one true religion

But you had to stick to your gun shamelessly going over some meaningless babbles.

It is a known fact that "the flag comes with the cross and the moon and star sign follows arabic (islamic) propagation.

Bishop Desmond tutu even testified to this in his famous quote "When the missionaries came to Africa, we had the land and they had the bible. they taught us how to pray with our eyes closed when we opened them, they had the land and we had the bible"

Chinua Achebe painted a clear picture of how the cross led the flag and the flag nurtured the cross in the conquest of the African society.

Civilization is a consistent and progressing thing and not a mark of colonial outreach.

It can be propagated by trade and commerce relationships, and inter-tribal and communal relationships.

Nobody needs to colonize the other for civilization to encroach.

Fela once said.

"Africans think they are independent but still under colonial rule in terms of religious subordination"

An act of Stockholm syndrome, worshipping the very hand that whipped you and carried you off you land..

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 06, 2016
religion is a SCAM

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by plaetton: 3:04pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:

Only a very dishonest person would make that kind of statement.

Missionaries are colonialists.

What would a colonialists do without first colonising the minds of natives with their philosophy or religion ?.

Missionary work is part and parcel of colonization.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by plaetton: 3:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:

So missionaries came persuade to trade Western medicine and Western Christian education for all our resources, including slavery ?

So, to you, missionary work is not part of the cultural domination.
It is the easiest path to cultural domination and cultural genocide.
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 3:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
johnydon22:

Cognitive dissonance is something i see you are quite good at, always going in circles and arguing off point when stumped.

But you had to stick to your gun shamelessly going over some meaningless babbles.

It is a known fact that "the flag comes with the cross and the moon and star sign follows arabic (islamic) propagation.

Bishop Desmond tutu even testified to this in his famous quote "When the missionaries came to Africa, we had the land and they had the bible. they taught us how to pray with our eyes closed when we opened them, they had the land and we had the bible"

Chinua Achebe painted a clear picture of how the cross led the flag and the flag nurtured the cross in the conquest of the African society.

Civilization is a consistent and progressing thing and not a mark of colonial outreach.

It can be propagated by trade and commerce relationships, and inter-tribal and communal relationships.

Fela once said.

"Africans think they are independent but still under colonial rule in terms of religious subordination"

An act of Stockholm syndrome, worshipping the very hand that whipped you and carried you off you land..
Can you read? When did I credit civilization to colonial outreach? It seems your indoctrinated hatred has made you to read things I did not say. I'm not surprised.

Many of the missionaries that came to Africa came with the aim of spreading the gospel and introducing education and medicine. Effectively bring in civilization.

Colonialism brought in people with ulterior motives, who were only interested in taking the land.

Look at this preferably blind guy, if you were born a twin in calabar before Slessor abolished the killing of twins you wouldn't be here shouting nonsense and leaning to an eediotic extreme of insulting all missionary work because of hatred for religion.

Barbarism was fought against and education and medicine was introduced, and because of preceding colonialism you want to paint the good of missions in a bad light.

That some forsook the teachings of the bible in favor of subjugation of Africans because of the colonial government trinkets doesn't invalidate the countless lives that were saved by those who built schools and clinics and brought in medicine and education.
Nonsense.

Lol. What if you were born in the soviet republic during the anti-religious era? When the Marxist-Leninist government murdered, tortured and humiliated millions of people and stole children away from their parents in their quest to eliminate religion? How are you different from insane Marxists? Do you know they wanted to take over the world?

They clearly used their reverence for atheism to plunder and ravage and exploit families and peoples, no be so?
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 3:28pm On Apr 06, 2016
plaetton:

Only a very dishonest person would make that kind of statement.

Missionaries are colonialists.

What would a colonialists do without first colonising the minds of natives with their philosophy or religion ?.

Missionary work is part and parcel of colonization.
Selective dishonesty. Please contact me when you come up with a better argument.

If the mission work of spreading the gospel and bringing in western medicine and education and abolishing slavery and barbaric practices is defined as colonialism by you in your militant anti-religious prejudice then your case is even worse than I thought.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Logicbwoy: 3:47pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Selective dishonesty. Please contact me when you come up with a better argument.

If the mission work of spreading the gospel and bringing in western medicine and education and abolishing slavery and barbaric practices is defined as colonialism by you in your militant anti-religious prejudice then your case is even worse than I thought.

See the liar?

The british came since the 16th century but only brought education in the 19th century.....over 200 years before the first school in Nigeria was built.

So what were your missionaries doing before 1859 (since the 16th century?)?
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Logicbwoy: 3:49pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:

Missionaries came with education before the colonialists?

you do know that the British came since the 16th century but only built the first schools in the 19th century?
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by analice107: 4:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
plaetton:
I still struggle to understand religious beliefs and faith .

I mean, Nigerians are a very prayerful people.
Infact, we spend a good portion of time praying for supernatural blessings and interventions in our daily affairs, to the point where it seems like a psychological addiction.

Like all addictions, we hardly take a minute to take stock, audit or re- evaluate our positions and our acts.

Now, there has been Chaos, a complete breakdown of the primary arteries of life and the economy in Nigeria for the past 2 months.

Where is the hand of God in all of this suffering , considering that we spend a lot of time and money whispering , shouting and beseeching God every hour, every day to save us from all the inconveniences of life ?

I am just trying to figure out what role religion plays in the lives of people who live ,struggle and suffer as we do here in Nigeria.

Is religion a necessary palliative for the suffering and confused masses, or an integral part of the Nigerian psyche which, itself , produces the type of chaos we see here ?
I thought you said he doesn't exist? Are you seriously calling a none exiting entity to help straighten the mess you made, because you believe you can make the mess and answer to no one? Smh.
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by analice107: 4:23pm On Apr 06, 2016
johnydon22:
The God(s) are still using swords and riding horses there is nothing they can do for us who now fly on aeroplanes.

There are no gods flying down to help humanity, the power to mar or save ourselves sorely rests with us.
There are no Gods, you forgot?
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by analice107: 4:28pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:
No, it is confused immoral men that have led us to where we are as a country.

And foolish old men trying to blame God or religion for our problems will only render us on worse paths.

Maybe you need a science lesson as well as an English lesson to help you understand what evolution and creation and various terms are so that you don't fall deeper than you already have into the throes of confusion.
Are you actually having a discussion with this person? Why does he disbelief God when things are normal, but believe God when he needs God to straighten their mess? This people are indeed satanic agents.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by johnydon22(m): 4:43pm On Apr 06, 2016
analice107:
There are no Gods, you forgot?
Ann you are better than this.. You couldn't read between the lines ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by analice107: 4:49pm On Apr 06, 2016
johnydon22:

Ann you are better than this.. You couldn't read between the lines ?
Hello Jon

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 4:50pm On Apr 06, 2016
Logicbwoy:

See the liar?

The british came since the 16th century but only brought education in the 19th century.....over 200 years before the first school in Nigeria was built.

So what were your missionaries doing before 1859 (since the 16th century?)?
religiously brainwashing our people no doubt. undecided
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by johnydon22(m): 4:52pm On Apr 06, 2016
analice107:
Hello Jon
Hey Ann.. being long we talked dearie
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Logicbwoy: 5:00pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:
religiously brainwashing our people no doubt. undecided

Am I seeing well?

Na johnydon talk this one or na joshthefirst?
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Am I seeing well?

Na johnydon talk this one or na joshthefirst?
someone's sarcasm meter is faulty
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by cloudgoddess(f): 5:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joeblis:
God gave us freewill the moment we are created.. you get to choose what i s bad or good and any part you choose whether good or bad has the tendency to affect people around you , imagine an elected official embezzling $2b in a poverty-stricken nation whose fault is that? the problems we facing is man made so the solutions are definitely going to be man made too
so when you get a position of authority you can be difference, you only ask God for inspiration on how being about that change.
Why doesn't god give man the guidance to fix our country? Isn't that what prayer is for? Asking god to help you?
People have been asking god to help, nigeria is one of the most prayerful countries, and yet he isn't helping. Whereas places like china and netherlands and japan where they don't pray, yet they are prospering. If he would prefer to leave prayerful humans to f**k themselves over, yet allow non-prayerful humans to prosper, what is the point of prayer and why does the bible say "ask and you shall be given?"

Also, the free-will argument is debatable. God (supposedly) created us KNOWING the mental processes & emotional tendencies that lead to these problems in the first place (greed, anger, fear, etc) -- and the types of horrible atrocities that would result (since he knows the future). He gave us brains capable of feeling all of these things and acting on them under certain conditions & upbringing. Why didn't he just give us brains that were immune to greed, for example? That would have easily prevented the situation that you just described. He did not have to place these mental tendencies there in the first place.

He could have created human beings only capable of feeling compassion, love, honesty, tenderness. If he made our brains that way, so many problems, so much poverty, and so much death would be avoided. But he didn't. He purposely gave us flawed brains, and then, according to you, placed the blame on us for falling victim to the same brains he created. How exactly is that loving?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Logicbwoy: 5:19pm On Apr 06, 2016
johnydon22:

Fela once said.

I wish Joshthefirst could see the truth in your comment!
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by CoolUsername: 5:36pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:
I support.

OAM4J, Lalasticlala abeg you fit move post from religion section wey go actually support mass thinking and pondering of nairalanders to front page?

Most of the religion section topics that make front page misrepresent the calibre of thinkers we have here.

I know that we're usually on opposing sides of the argument but this is a very solid post!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Joshthefirst(m): 6:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
CoolUsername:

I know that we're usually on opposing sides of the argument but this is a very solid post!
That we are against each other in infinitely aggressive arguments does not mean we are against each other in progress bloda. grin

In the end, we want to see progress in this country all the same, whether I am a mighty tall christian like kingebukasblog or an athletic intellectual like johnydon22 or a little squirt atheist like Logicbwoy or a guarded feminist like kay17 or an old undecided man like plaetton or a troll like sonoflucifer. grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Logicbwoy: 6:19pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:
That we are against each other in infinitely aggressive arguments does not mean we are against each other in progress bloda. grin

In the end, we want to see progress in this country all the same, whether I am a mighty tall christian like kingebukasblog or an athletic intellectual like johnydon22 or a little squirt atheist like Logicbwoy or a guarded feminist like kay17 or an old undecided man like plaetton or a troll like sonoflucifer. grin

You dey mad?

I am the Alpha atheist here! All those atheists you mentioned are only there because of me. cool
Remember when atheists had no voice here?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by CoolUsername: 6:35pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:

Guess you're right, my pseudoscientist bro.

Edit: 'you're', not 'your'
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:56pm On Apr 06, 2016
CoolUsername:

Guess you're right, my pseudoscientist bro.

Edit: 'you're', not 'your'

shut up engineer grin cool

bro you dont have to let us that your comment was modified .. lol
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:00pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:
... each other in progress bloda...

are you from Anambra? cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:01pm On Apr 06, 2016
Logicbwoy:

You dey mad?

I am the Alpha atheist here! All those atheists you mentioned are only there because of me. cool
Remember when atheists had no voice here?

You talk like they have any presently undecided
Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Oluwaseytiano(m): 7:11pm On Apr 06, 2016
Joshthefirst:

Wicked

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems by Oluwaseytiano(m): 7:12pm On Apr 06, 2016
actually, they do

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

US 2020 Election - Is TB Joshua's Prophecy On Trump, Biden Coming To Pass? / If The Bones Of Jesus Were Found / The Essence Of Paying Tithe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.