Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,555 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. (4967 Views)

If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar / 9 Hidden Features Of Everyday Things You Probably Didn’t Know / 18 Interesting Pictures From The Past You’ve Probably Not Seen Before (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 10:30pm On Apr 05, 2016
Social media are computers mediated tools that allow people or companies to create, share, or exchange information, career interests, ideas, and pictures/videos in virtual communities and networks. Here are some documented facts you probably dont know about these toos.

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 10:35pm On Apr 05, 2016
1. Approximate 1 billion people use WhatsApp around the World, which making it the second most popular messaging app in the World.

2. India has the largest number of active users on WhatsApp.

3. More than 1 million users get registered on WhatsApp daily.

4. As of January 2015, 30 billion messages gets sent and received on WhatsApp daily.

5. Average amount of time spent by users on WhatsApp at a weekly basis is 195 minutes.

6. Before Facebook acquired WhatsApp for $19 billion, Google offered to pay $ 10 billion.

7. WhatsApp is responsible for 27% of selfies shared on social media.

8. WhatsApp founder Jan Koum was denied a job at Facebook in 2008.

9. WhatsApp messaging volume overtook the world SMS volume long time back.

10. WhatsApp has a total of 55 employees. Out of which only 34 are engineers. That means there is a ration of 1 developer to 23 million active users.

11. The average user checks the app approximately 23 times per day.

12. An average user ends more than 1000 messages per month on WhatsApp.

13. As of early 2014, an average user shares about 40 pictures, 7 videos and 13 voice notes per month on WhatsApp. You can only imagine whatthe number would be now.

14. WhatsApp is worth more than entire annual budget of NASA, which is$17 billion.

15. As of February 2015, WhatsApp is at 6th position in the list of global brands which rank highest in consumer engagement.

16. WhatsApp is the 5th most downloaded app on android in the World.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by vizkiz: 10:39pm On Apr 05, 2016
present sire! tongue

I heard in a revival program on TV that there is a super computer under the Sea in the Marine world which stores everybody's data...I hope to read about it here sha grin

1 Like

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Kingsasian(m): 10:39pm On Apr 05, 2016
Time to learn from the boss himself.
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by bqlekan(m): 10:42pm On Apr 05, 2016
grin
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by DY20: 10:46pm On Apr 05, 2016
Kingsasian:
Time to learn from the boss himself.
vizkiz:
present sire! tongue
I heard in a revival program on TV that there is a super computer under the Sea in the Marine world which stores everybody's data...I hope to read about it here sha grin

can't you guys just shut uo and allow us to concentrate?

4 Likes

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Mucokey(m): 10:48pm On Apr 05, 2016
bookmarked
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by DharmyYinks: 10:50pm On Apr 05, 2016
Waiting!
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 10:51pm On Apr 05, 2016
Facebook is blue because Zuckerberg is color-blind: According to a 2010 profile from the New Yorker, Facebook’s main color is blue because Zuckerberg has a red-green color blindness. In the interview, he told reporter Jose Antonio Vargas that “blue is therichest color for me — I can see all of blue.”

17. You cant block Mark Zuckerberg on facebook.

18. Several people have been murdered for unfriending someone on facebook.

19. There are about 30million dead people on facebook.

20. Facebook has been bocked in china since 2009.

21. About 600,000 hacking are made to facebook accounts daily.

22. Facebook tracks which site you visit even after signing out.

23. 1 in 3 people feel dissatisfied with their lives after visiting facebook.

24. Every morning when they wake up, 48% of 18-34 year olds check their Facebook account. 28% of that demographic actually check Facebook before they even get out of bed.

25. There are 70 different languages available for users on Facebook.

26. The average person spends between 18 and 20 minutes viewing their Facebook account. If you combine every user, that what would be around 20 billion minutes.

27. Every 20 minutes on Facebook 1 million links are shared, 2 million friends are requested and 3 million messages are sent.

28. The most common life event added for users in 2013 was: Relationship/Got Engaged/Got Married. This was followed by Traveled, Moved, Ended a Relationship and First Met a Friend.

29. Between 2012 and 2013, there was an increase in Facebook users by 22%.

30. Ever since Facebook launched there have been a 150 billion friend connections, 1.13 trillion likes and 250 billion photos uploaded.

31. On a daily basis there are 350 million photos uploaded, 4.5 billion likes, 10 billion messages sent and 22 billion times that the Like or Share buttons are viewed.

32. Total monthly users: 1,310,000,000 with 680 million of them on mobile devices.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/25-amazing-facts-facebook/88733/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C8228114932

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 10:52pm On Apr 05, 2016
33. As of 2010, it would take 1,700 years to watch every YouTube video.

34. The longest video on YouTube is 571 hours, 1 minute, and 41 seconds. The video is a slideshow of Jonathan Harchick's (the video's creator) trip to Chili in 2009.

35. On Facebook, over 150 years’ worth of YouTube videos are watched every day.

36. The first video uploaded to YouTube was called “Me at the Zoo” and shows Jawed Karim, one of its cofounders, talking about the long trunks of elephants. It was uploaded on April 23, 2005, and is just 20 seconds long. It has been viewed 11 million times and has over 80,000 comments.

37. The most “liked” video on YouTube is “Gangnam Style,” with over 2.2 million likes. It overtook LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem,” which has only 1.5 million likes.

38. As of 2013, the most viewed video on YouTube is “Gangnam Style,” which was added in 2012. It was the first video to get over 1 billion hits. It overtook the previous record holder, Justin Bieber’s music video “Baby,” on November 24, 2012.

39. In 2013, YouTube was the fourth most visited website on the Web, behind Google, Facebook, and Yahoo.

40. Several countries have blocked YouTube at some time, including Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, China, Pakistan, Syria, Tajikistan, and Turkey.

41. Over 4 billion hours of video (over 450,000 years’ worth) are viewed each month on YouTube.

42. Every second there are 46,296 YouTube videos being viewed all around the world.

43. Full HD on YouTube was released in November 2009.

44. In October 2009, YouTube reached 1 billion daily video views, or 11, 574 video views per second. In May 2010, YouTube exceeded 2 billion video views a day, or 23,148 per second. In 2012, it reached 4 billion daily video views, or 46,296 per second.

http://facts.randomhistory.com/youtube-facts.html

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 10:52pm On Apr 05, 2016
45. The name of the social network was originally “Twttr,” later changed to Twitter.

46. It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to getto the billionth tweet.

47. Today it only takes one week for users to send a billion tweets.

48. Twitter was actually created on a playground. The founding team members were at the top of a slide in a playground in San Francisco, when Jack Dorsey said"I've got an idea so simple that you don't even think about it - you just write."

49. Twitter has 288 million active monthly users. 80% of whom access the service through mobile devices.

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by faray: 10:53pm On Apr 05, 2016
A
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 05, 2016
**this land is yet to be xplored**

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by xender(m): 11:10pm On Apr 05, 2016
loll...see space booking.
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Oahray: 11:17pm On Apr 05, 2016
Hmmm... This dude has been creating some of the best threads on Nairaland since oga Osewa wrote the first code line of his Nairaland script.

The best part is how his threads make one do a lil research to verify some 'facts'.

Carry on sir!

3 Likes

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by ichommy(m): 11:21pm On Apr 05, 2016
*Rush In and grab a seat* Explorers Baba

1 Like

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by SPDAZZY(f): 11:23pm On Apr 05, 2016
If I were that whatsapp guy, I won't sell to the same people that refused me a job. He should have tried harder to give them a run for their money.

Well done, explorers
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Oahray: 11:33pm On Apr 05, 2016
SPDAZZY:
If I were that whatsapp guy, I won't sell to the same people that refused me a job. He should have tried harder to give them a run for their money.

Well done, explorers
$19 billion is a whole lot of money, if you ask me.

I'd sell it twice if I could smiley
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 05, 2016
great job
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by ichommy(m): 11:41pm On Apr 05, 2016
SPDAZZY:

Well done, explorers

But Jan can't reject the Offer then $19B. WhatsApp potential is not high then. Mark Zuckerberg saw the hand writing on the wall. Mark nah Mentor Any day.

Jan Koum is still the CEO , Thats part of the agreement they signed.

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by SPDAZZY(f): 11:46pm On Apr 05, 2016
Oahray:
$19 billion is a whole lot of money, if you ask me.

I'd sell it twice if I could smiley

Lol. OK o. Na you sabi
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by SPDAZZY(f): 11:46pm On Apr 05, 2016
ichommy:

But Jan can't reject the Offer then $19B. WhatsApp potential is not high then. Mark Zuckerberg saw the hand writing on the wall. Mark nah Mentor Any day.

Jan Koum is still the CEO , Thats part of the agreement they signed.

OK. I see
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 12:06am On Apr 06, 2016
50. Facebook accounts for approximately 21% of ALL social media referral traffic in the world.

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 12:10am On Apr 06, 2016
If Wikipedia were a book it would be more than two billion pages.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Nobody: 2:31am On Apr 06, 2016
Make I follow this thread bumper to fender.

Nice info.
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 4:27am On Apr 06, 2016
52. 1 in 5 divorces involve social media.

1 Like

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by galadima77(m): 5:18am On Apr 06, 2016
Explorer been giving us back-to-back hits and simply one of few unbeatable OPs on this forum.

Keep it coming! We appreciate u

2 Likes

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 5:47am On Apr 06, 2016
53. If Facebook were a country, it would be the third largest in the world.

54. Mothers with children under the age of 5 are the most active on social media.

55. Instagram: The 3 countries with the most users are The United States, Japan and Brazil, 40 % of the total global users live in the USA.

56. Instagram launched as an iPhone app on October 6, 2010. By December 2010, Instagram had one million registered users.

57. Instagram: The Android version received over 430,000 pre-registrations and when it finally released on 3rd April 2013, it was downloaded over one million times in less than 12 hours.

58. Instagram: More than 20 billion Instagram photos have been uploaded so far(March 2014).

59. Instagram: 60 million photos are uploaded per day, that means almost700 photos each second.

60. In june 2013 Instagram launched it’s new video function. 5 million videos were uploaded within the first 24 hours.

http://www.seemycity.com/10-fast-facts-about-instagram/

1 Like

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Adesiji77: 5:48am On Apr 06, 2016
Keep it coming Explorers. Nice job smiley
Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 5:53am On Apr 06, 2016
61. LinkedIn has a lower percentage of active users than Pinterest, Google+, Twitter and Facebook.

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by Explorers(m): 6:02am On Apr 06, 2016
62. Approximately 80% of world leaders have Twitter accounts, though frequency of tweets varies widely from one leader to another.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Social Media: Some Interesting Facts You Probably Dont Know. by ichommy(m): 6:07am On Apr 06, 2016
Explorers:
61. LinkedIn has a lower percentage of active users than Pinterest, Google+, Twitter and Facebook.

My love ones Don invited me taya for Linkedln. I no register.

(1) (2) (Reply)

COEASU President Appeals To Governors To Pay Staff Of Their States’ Colleges / Nigerian Lady Gets In Fight With High School Student In The UK (VIDEO) / Oko Poly 3rd And 4th Batch Of Regular 2 Admission List Is Out On Campus!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.