Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,590 members, 7,837,220 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH (17386 Views)

Blackout: 19 Plants Shut As Militant Attacks Shrink Gas Supply / Four Power Plants Shut After Militants’ Attacks / DPR Blames Marketers As Petrol Scarcity Worsens - PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by rozayx5(m): 2:49pm On Apr 06, 2016

Femi Asu

The nation’s electricity woes worsened on Tuesday as two additional power generating plants were shut down, bringing the total number of plants not generating any megawatts of electricity to 10.

The two shut plants are Shiroro Power Station in Niger State and Sapele II in Delta State, industry data obtained by our correspondent showed.

Shiroro, whose capacity was put at 600MW, was said to have seen its unit 411G1 tripped on emergency shutdown on the 86ES lockout relay; units 411G2 and 3 out for under water repair work; and unit 411G4 out on maintenance.

The Sapele II, built under the National Integrated Power Project, with its capacity put at 225MW, has four units. The GT1 was shut down for maintenance, GT3 out due to work by the Nigerian Gas Company at the gas station, while the GT2 and 4 units are out as a result of gas constraints.

Total national power generation stood at 2,774.2MW on Tuesday, down from 3,657.5MW on March 31. Generation from Egbin, the nation’s biggest power station, was limited to 415MW due to gas constraints, down from 1,085MW on March 15.

Shell’s Afam VI power plant generated the highest megawatts of electricity at 418MW as of 6am, the data showed.

The slide in power generation has worsened the blackout being experienced in many parts of the country as many consumers complained of outages lasting for hours on end.

The PUNCH had on Friday reported exclusively that eight of the nation’s power plants were completely idle on Thursday, with significant reduction in generation from others, including Egbin, which is located in Lagos.

The plants, which did not generate any megawatts of electricity included Sapele, Delta State, whose installed capacity was put at 240MW; Olorunsogo II in Ogun State, with a capacity of 625MW; Rivers IPP (180MW) and Trans-Amadi (75MW), both in Rivers State.

Others were Geregu I in Kogi; Afam IV & V in Rivers, and A.E.S and Asco, whose installed capacity were not given.

Sapele’s units were said to be shut due to gas constraints, tripping, maintenance and major overhaul, among other reasons.

The Rivers IPP’s unit GT1 was out due to gas constraints, while Trans-Amadi’s GT1 and 4 units were out due to line constraints; GT2 due to gas constraints and GT3 undergoing maintenance.

According to the data, there was no communication on A.E.S, while Asco’s unit GT1 was out due to a fire outbreak. Olorunsogo’s units GT1 to 4 and ST2 were shut due to gas constraints, and ST1 for maintenance.

Geregu’s three units were shut due to outage and to enable them to undergo a major overhaul and maintenance, while a unit of Afam IV & V had been de-commissioned and scrapped; four were out due to blade failure and two due to burnt generator transformer, among others.

http://www.punchng.com/blackout-shiroro-sapele-power-plants-shut/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Ohammadike: 2:50pm On Apr 06, 2016
And Fashola wants to increase tariff while the power generation is on a decline.

Minster of darkness

160 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by babdap: 2:51pm On Apr 06, 2016
Total darkness is looming on some parts of country.

1 Like

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by ratiken(m): 2:53pm On Apr 06, 2016
Ok
Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Flets: 2:54pm On Apr 06, 2016
Buhari has to be held totally responsible for the depth this nation has fallen to. One of the strengths of a leader is choosing his battles right but the dull president of Nigeria failed woefully on all fronts.

How exactly does any sensible government who is interested in fixing power and generating constant power choose a battle in the creeks from where the gas required to power the turbines are coming from? ..... especially when you don't have a clear plan to fight the vandals to a stand still while protecting the gas facilities.

Infact.... Without unity of purpose, Nigeria is headed for the rocks. You can mock SS and IPOB as much as you want but once they are not plugged into the "project Nigeria"... then they are available tools for economic sabotage. This is exactly where Buhari failed woefully.

If in doubt .... Name one nation with disunity in purpose that made political, social or economic progress?

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by hucienda: 2:54pm On Apr 06, 2016
Fashola is soiling his supposed reputation in this administration.

*If he does have eyes on the presidency, he has one of two options- Deliver or Resign.*

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by rozayx5(m): 2:55pm On Apr 06, 2016
Flets:
Lol

was about to mention you grin grin

the kind fuel queue wey i see for Uyo today i have not seen before in my stay here shocked

about a km long

3 Likes

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by LessNoise: 2:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
How did we sink this low if this man travel Comot for this country ehnnnn...... You think say na only you wan travel

15 Likes

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by willyede(m): 2:58pm On Apr 06, 2016
God abeg help Nigeria in this time of distress

1 Like

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Ezenwammadu(m): 2:59pm On Apr 06, 2016
Those two morons Fashola and osunbade who claimed that power generation is not rocket science should hide their miserable face in shame

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by SleekMallam: 3:00pm On Apr 06, 2016
Buhari will bring nuclear energy to Nigeria from China.

6 Likes

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by BossWike(m): 3:04pm On Apr 06, 2016
Good news!

Zombies, before u quote me, what is happening in Nigeria today is not ordinary, it is simply the law of karma. I believe you all remember how you and ur pay maters humiliated GEJ and every policy that came from him not minding how good that policy could be.

I will make Nigeria ungovernable for Jonathan - Buhari

The blood of monkeys and baboon will soak on ground - Buhari

We will form a parallel govt - Amaechi

24 hours power supply is not a rocket science, every sensible govt will achieve it within six months - Fashola

The pump price of fuel should not be more than N40 - Osinbajo

Quote me any day anywhere, Buhari/APC will be the worst govt in the history of Nigeria!

117 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Ohammadike: 3:17pm On Apr 06, 2016
Bubu is a dullard. No light No fuel to on gernator or even bus drivers don't have fuel to take you to filling station

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Firefire(m): 3:35pm On Apr 06, 2016
rozayx5:
lalasticlala firefire

flets

The Lord rebuke Satan.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners.

Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend Nigeria in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him and all saboteurs, we humbly pray;
and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God
cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who prowl throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by phlemzy: 3:54pm On Apr 06, 2016
No doubt, Fashola wouldn't understand all the technicalities involved in the power sector.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by seyema(m): 3:56pm On Apr 06, 2016
Nawaaoo... Things are just getting worse

1 Like

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by ogaJona(m): 3:56pm On Apr 06, 2016
y
Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by MadCow1: 3:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
No wahala!!

Let them all shutdown.. We are prepared!!

But when they fix them, they should make sure they get it right once and for all..

No short gap measures!!

President Buhari's Government should go big or resign!

I am still a strong supporter of this government until they give me a good reason not to.. These technical problems we are facing are not enough to make me lose faith yet!

#WeShallOverCome..

16 Likes

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by rellawyt(f): 3:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
Are they queuing for fuel?
Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Kaxmytex(m): 3:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
omo, dis one pas one chance nw o....

plant wey Neva reach us wey kum dey shutdown..na wa o

1 Like

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
Zombie oh zombie
GEJ handed over functional plants but 10months later, almost all has been systematically shut down. What has happened to the body odour of our dull.ard president?
Again this is what you get when a mor.on leader takes 6months to appoint ministers only to give us zero pegs in a wide gaping hole, wholly incompetent ministers.
What still petrifies me is how our youths who are feeling the greatest brunt of the prevailing hardship still manage to utter words of commendation for the President who is crippling our economy while he gallivants around the world. I'm just trying to picture a scenario whereby the home is in crisis yet popman uses scarce family resources to travel around. I think I would describe him as an irresponsible father who isn't worth the title.
Lastly, some clever-by-half mods are so quick to silence whatever voice of antagonism to the government, especially the one who always seeks help from the 'class captain' by using the cc code with his mentions then runs to hide under his teacher's skirts when the heat is on. You know urself, ur a half man.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by ibkgab001: 3:59pm On Apr 06, 2016
The end has come jesuuuuuuuuuu

No light

No fuel

No food

No money

No hope ... No rain

No salary
Canada I come so help me God

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 06, 2016
Naija is just doing backslide into the dark ages..

we'd soon go back to night fires

4 Likes

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by slinkman(m): 4:00pm On Apr 06, 2016
I hate this government passionately for all this

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by coldsummer: 4:00pm On Apr 06, 2016
Chai
Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Montaque(m): 4:01pm On Apr 06, 2016
insensitive buhari

3 Likes

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by anyimontana(m): 4:01pm On Apr 06, 2016
hucienda:
Fashola is soiling his supposed reputation in this administration.
thats d plan,so he cant run for president

1 Like

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by cold(m): 4:01pm On Apr 06, 2016
Dayum..Fashola see your life. Even the 5000MW that was left for you folks to manage have been run aground. What's your excuse now? Smh

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by mecussey(m): 4:02pm On Apr 06, 2016
Ohammadike:
And Fashola wants to increase tariff while the power generation is on a decline.

Minster of darkness

All my life, at least for the past three decades...I have been hearing of Shiroro. Why don't we have better or newer power plants? Nig govt is a failure thats all, the good youths have to lead this country if we must improve. These old cargos don't have anything to offer, good description of a scalar quantity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH by Lilimax(f): 4:02pm On Apr 06, 2016
Changed fresh air everywhere shocked
Ndi ara! embarassed

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obasanjo Commissions Memorial Library In Oyo State (photos) / Ayade's Attempt To Change Cross River Logo Meets Funny Reactions / ‘herdsmen Will Kill Them’ – Reno Omokri Blasts Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.