Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? (38573 Views)

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners / 10 Disgusting Ways Nigerians Behave When They Become Car Owners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 9:52pm On Apr 17, 2016
evergreen247:
yes v6 is better, you only feel the difference in economy much around town and city traffic. But again there are ppl that is very obssesive of fuel economy like me, hybrid is in my mind, that extra liters in fill up just make me unhappy because i dont care about speed or power, all i care about is smooth economical car.
You know that guy that races every car that passes him on the highway? That is me.
I once raced a v8 Prado jeep with my tiny i4 engine. The man new I was chasing him and he made me look like a fool severally. I later passed him technically. #in Lai Mohammed's voice.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by evergreen247: 11:24am On Apr 18, 2016
Macmilla:

You know that guy that races every car that passes him on the highway? That is me.
I once raced a v8 Prado jeep with my tiny i4 engine. The man new I was chasing him and he made me look like a fool severally. I later passed him technically. #in Lai Mohammed's voice.
lol, then guy go for more power, not even just v6 but check the horse power, for person like you the difference in petrol is not even up to 2mpg and again that v6 in solara 2nd gen is the same engine in lexus RX330, it will do a great job for you.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 5:03pm On Apr 18, 2016
evergreen247:
lol, then guy go for more power, not even just v6 but check the horse power, for person like you the difference in petrol is not even up to 2mpg and again that v6 in solara 2nd gen is the same engine in lexus RX330, it will do a great job for you.
Wow! That's cool. So I will give some SUV a run for their money. SUVs are not technically for racing, but solara was built with sports in mind. grin
They will hear from me. grin grin grin
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 6:38am On Apr 25, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Macmilla your tithe records are not up to date, please see me in the office on monday angry
My Oga at d top. Plz, how much will u collect to buy and install a v6 engine in a 2005 accord? This includes the oil and everything to make the ride a cross country traveller. And how long will it take to install?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:45am On Apr 25, 2016
Macmilla:

My Oga at d top. Plz, how much will u collect to buy and install a v6 engine in a 2005 accord? This includes the oil and everything to make the ride a cross country traveller. And how long will it take to install?

call whatsapp. 08033910382. Need to know what type of engine is in the bay (engine number)
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by mili3kid(m): 8:22am On Apr 25, 2016
Macmilla:

Maintainance is d key. Air filter, spark plugs, injectors, engine oil, oxygen sensors, knock sensors, etc.
My i4 babyboy had an economy worse than a v8 when I got it from a friend. By d time I was done with it, it came back to life. That little thing with wires on ur exhaust manifold is really important. But ur kazeem doesn't know it.
can I ask what that little things is? and wat does he do? make we learn na bros...
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 3:31pm On Apr 25, 2016
mili3kid:

can I ask what that little things is? and wat does he do? make we learn na bros...
It is ur primary oxygen sensor.

The O2 sensor is mounted in the exhaust manifold to monitor how much unburned oxygen is in the exhaust as the exhaust exits the engine. Monitoring oxygen levels in the exhaust is a way of gauging the fuel mixture. It tells the computer if the fuel mixture is burning rich (less oxygen) or lean (more oxygen).

A lot of factors can affect the relative richness or leanness of the fuel mixture, including air temperature, engine coolant temperature, barometric pressure, throttle position, air flow and engine load. There are other sensors to monitor these factors, too, but the O2 sensor is the master monitor for what's happening with the fuel mixture. Consequently, any problems with the O2 sensor can throw the whole system out of whack.

Loops

The computer uses the oxygen sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture, which is referred to as the fuel "feedback control loop." The computer takes its cues from the O2 sensor and responds by changing the fuel mixture. This produces a corresponding change in the O2 sensor reading. This is referred to as "closed loop" operation because the computer is using the O2 sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture. The result is a constant flip-flop back and forth from rich to lean which allows the catalytic converter to operate at peak efficiency while keeping the average overall fuel mixture in proper balance to minimize emissions. It's a complicated setup but it works.

When no signal is received from the O2 sensor, as is the case when a cold engine is first started (or the 02 sensor fails), the computer orders a fixed (unchanging) rich fuel mixture. This is referred to as "open loop" operation because no input is used from the O2 sensor to regulate the fuel mixture. If the engine fails to go into closed loop when the O2 sensor reaches operating temperature, or drops out of closed loop because the O2 sensor's signal is lost, the engine will run too rich causing an increase in fuel consumption and emissions. A bad coolant sensor can also prevent the system from going into closed loop because the computer also considers engine coolant temperature when deciding whether or not to go into closed loop.

Visit this link for more information http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/understanding_oxygen_sensors.asp
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by mili3kid(m): 8:29pm On Apr 26, 2016
Macmilla:

It is ur primary oxygen sensor.

The O2 sensor is mounted in the exhaust manifold to monitor how much unburned oxygen is in the exhaust as the exhaust exits the engine. Monitoring oxygen levels in the exhaust is a way of gauging the fuel mixture. It tells the computer if the fuel mixture is burning rich (less oxygen) or lean (more oxygen).

A lot of factors can affect the relative richness or leanness of the fuel mixture, including air temperature, engine coolant temperature, barometric pressure, throttle position, air flow and engine load. There are other sensors to monitor these factors, too, but the O2 sensor is the master monitor for what's happening with the fuel mixture. Consequently, any problems with the O2 sensor can throw the whole system out of whack.

Loops

The computer uses the oxygen sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture, which is referred to as the fuel "feedback control loop." The computer takes its cues from the O2 sensor and responds by changing the fuel mixture. This produces a corresponding change in the O2 sensor reading. This is referred to as "closed loop" operation because the computer is using the O2 sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture. The result is a constant flip-flop back and forth from rich to lean which allows the catalytic converter to operate at peak efficiency while keeping the average overall fuel mixture in proper balance to minimize emissions. It's a complicated setup but it works.

When no signal is received from the O2 sensor, as is the case when a cold engine is first started (or the 02 sensor fails), the computer orders a fixed (unchanging) rich fuel mixture. This is referred to as "open loop" operation because no input is used from the O2 sensor to regulate the fuel mixture. If the engine fails to go into closed loop when the O2 sensor reaches operating temperature, or drops out of closed loop because the O2 sensor's signal is lost, the engine will run too rich causing an increase in fuel consumption and emissions. A bad coolant sensor can also prevent the system from going into closed loop because the computer also considers engine coolant temperature when deciding whether or not to go into closed loop.

Visit this link for more information http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/understanding_oxygen_sensors.asp
wow!!! such rich info... i av surely learnt a thing or 2. OK in line wit fuel consumption. theres a camry lying @home. I dnt use it often cuz d fuel consumption is crazy. I took it for a scan and my mechanic said its because d "indomie" insyd d exhaust pipe was removed. I asked gazzuz for d name of d indoiebec he gave me. I read it up online. sorry I forgot d name. my mech also tested d o2 sensors wit some electrical stuff... they were both working. (according to him sha). Wat I wnt to kno is this, does d removal of d "indomie" rly av a huge impact on d high fuel ⛽ consumption?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 6:40am On Apr 27, 2016
mili3kid:

wow!!! such rich info... i av surely learnt a thing or 2. OK in line wit fuel consumption. theres a camry lying @home. I dnt use it often cuz d fuel consumption is crazy. I took it for a scan and my mechanic said its because d "indomie" insyd d exhaust pipe was removed. I asked gazzuz for d name of d indoiebec he gave me. I read it up online. sorry I forgot d name. my mech also tested d o2 sensors wit some electrical stuff... they were both working. (according to him sha). Wat I wnt to kno is this, does d removal of d "indomie" rly av a huge impact on d high fuel ⛽ consumption?
I don't understand how taking a car for a scan results in ur mechanic telling u about indomie. Your mechanic is obviously a First Class kazeem. He doesn't even know the correct names of a car he claims to b fixing.
I believe he was talking about ur muffler.
Scanning will tell u nothing about ur muffler, but will definitely tell u about ur o2 sensors, if the are working or not. So I don't know how ur kazeem decided to test them with "some electrical stuff".
About ur muffler causing more fuel consumption, it is actually controversial is d muffler contributes to fuel economy or not. Some say removing it will make d engine breathe more easily and thus do less work trying to get rid of exhaust. Others say breathing more freely means burning mire fuel freely.
But know ye that d function of ur mufflers is mainly to reduce noise and it has no major effect on fuel efficiency.
Please, if the check engine on dt ur car is on, take it to a real scanning shop and know what is wrong with ur car. If u are in Lagos, ppl like Gazzuzz will give u the best.

STOP KAZEEMIZING YOUR CARS!!!
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by mili3kid(m): 9:58am On Apr 27, 2016
Macmilla:

I don't understand how taking a car for a scan results in ur mechanic telling u about indomie. Your mechanic is obviously a First Class kazeem. He doesn't even know the correct names of a car he claims to b fixing.
I believe he was talking about ur muffler.
Scanning will tell u nothing about ur muffler, but will definitely tell u about ur o2 sensors, if the are working or not. So I don't know how ur kazeem decided to test them with "some electrical stuff".
About ur muffler causing more fuel consumption, it is actually controversial is d muffler contributes to fuel economy or not. Some say removing it will make d engine breathe more easily and thus do less work trying to get rid of exhaust. Others say breathing more freely means burning mire fuel freely.
But know ye that d function of ur mufflers is mainly to reduce noise and it has no major effect on fuel efficiency.
Please, if the check engine on dt ur car is on, take it to a real scanning shop and know what is wrong with ur car. If u are in Lagos, ppl like Gazzuzz will give u the best.

STOP KAZEEMIZING YOUR CARS!!!

your head is so there baba mi... m very sorry abt d fact dt i cldnt name d stuffs. my fone got spoilt so all d stuffs i saved to study later i lost them including d codes after d scan...
one of the codes were P0401 (Insufficient EGR Flow) and P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold).
the said vehicle is a 2001 Toyota Camry. and those were d only codes it brought out. pls anybody with advice on how to fix it?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 1:05pm On Apr 27, 2016
mili3kid:

your head is so there baba mi... m very sorry abt d fact dt i cldnt name d stuffs. my fone got spoilt so all d stuffs i saved to study later i lost them including d codes after d scan...
one of the codes were P0401 (Insufficient EGR Flow) and P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold).
the said vehicle is a 2001 Toyota Camry. and those were d only codes it brought out. pls anybody with advice on how to fix it?
I think this is where the learned men and engineers will take over. I don't have enough information to help you on d codes, but google is ur friend.
Seek the help of Gazzuzz, Siena, etc.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by mili3kid(m): 1:10pm On Apr 27, 2016
Macmilla:

I think this is where the learned men and engineers will take over. I don't have enough information to help you on d codes, but google is ur friend.
Seek the help of Gazzuzz, Siena, etc.
exactly... immediately I got d codes I av researched online on it. but truth is U cnt compare it to personal experience of them ogas here who have been there, done dat, already kno how to fix it and can give invaluable advice on how to fix it....
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Apr 28, 2016
apexquest:
I was actually wondering how those owners of v6 cars are coping with the unrepentant fuel situation in the country. Because in my area fuel is currently selling over 220 naira per liter.
infact if my engine was bigger than 2.0 , I would have since packed it and jejely be entering bus.
well for me full tank = 10days , I'm still safe for another 4days.
the fuel crises just dey ruin my local runnings, mtchewwww.
just my thought tho.

pls share your thoughts if u can.

Consider that some 6 cylinder vehicles could be using the same amount of gasoline as 4 cylinder cars.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by shotuns: 2:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
How about v8 cars. no one is talking about this cars. Does it consumes more than a V6?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 4:46pm On Apr 28, 2016
shotuns:
How about v8 cars. no one is talking about this cars. Does it consumes more than a V6?
No, it consumes less than i4. undecided
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by mili3kid(m): 7:41pm On Apr 28, 2016
Macmilla:
chai...Macmilla U no nice oo!!!
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 11:16pm On Apr 28, 2016
mili3kid:

chai...Macmilla U no nice oo!!!
Seriously, I think there should be a form of screening test to be passed b4 one can comment here.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by kulrunsman79(m): 1:42am On Apr 29, 2016
lrguru:
how can anyone compare a v6 or v8 with an i4. i4 is cheap and weak. the only i4 I have respect for is a Prado. I drive a i6 sclass Mercedes Benz and a v8 too, and I don't think I can drive any 4 plug engine cos they are too weak and slow. as for fuel, my s class on full tank can take me to work for a whole month everyday. its over 100 liter. fuel has been very OK for me even at #150.

U can say that because u haven't experimented with i4 compressor C230
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 7:41am On Apr 29, 2016
kulrunsman79:

What's the score with the Mercedes-Benz 2.3 Kompressor bro?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by shotuns: 10:35am On Apr 29, 2016
Macmilla:

@Macmilla, if you got nothing to voice out, can you just comment by writing useful information without upsetting someone. Thank you.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 3:10pm On Apr 29, 2016
shotuns:

@Macmilla, if you got nothing to voice out, can you just comment by writing useful information without upsetting someone. Thank you.
Dude, just read what you wrote. If I've got nothing to voice out, how then do you expect me to write useful information?
#englishnabastard
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by mili3kid(m): 9:07pm On Apr 29, 2016
Macmilla:

Seriously, I think there should be a form of screening test to be passed b4 one can comment here.
hahahahahahahaha lmao... **jumps insyd well*** but seriousli if screening go dey...na U I go first bribe dem make dem comot... hehehehe
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 9:11pm On Apr 29, 2016
mili3kid:

hahahahahahahaha lmao... **jumps insyd well*** but seriousli if screening go dey...na U I go first bribe dem make dem comot... hehehehe
Why naah? Wetin I do you?
And why would you need to bribe them? Lemme guess,... Cos u know I will pass. grin
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by mili3kid(m): 9:16pm On Apr 29, 2016
Macmilla:

Why naah? Wetin I do you?
And why would you need to bribe them? Lemme guess,... Cos u know I will pass. grin
yes na... sebi U dey form badt guy ni say make den set up screening... na to set U up first na hehehehehe
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 9:29pm On Apr 29, 2016
mili3kid:

yes na... sebi U dey form badt guy ni say make den set up screening... na to set U up first na hehehehehe
I no form bad guy o. Just that ignorance is infectious naah. Me wey never get rid of my own ignorance finish, I no need some ppl to be infecting me more.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by mili3kid(m): 10:27pm On Apr 29, 2016
Macmilla:

I no form bad guy o. Just that ignorance is infectious naah. Me wey never get rid of my own ignorance finish, I no need some ppl to be infecting me more.
hahahaha oga... d one wey U get neva do oooo... walai U need more. ignorance 2.0 **wink**
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by shotuns: 1:50pm On Apr 30, 2016
Macmilla:

Dude, just read what you wrote. If I've got nothing to voice out, how then do you expect me to write useful information?
#englishnabastard

Well Mr. TOEFL, please concentrate on the topic and keep your lectures to yourself. A Forum like this are meant for people who have better things to share for others to learn, If you have nothing useful to say just zip it up.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Macmilla(m): 4:59pm On Apr 30, 2016
shotuns:

Well Mr. TOEFL, please concentrate on the topic and keep your lectures to yourself. A Forum like this are meant for people who have better things to share for others to learn, If you have nothing useful to say just zip it up.
OK sir.
But it's obvious u have nothing to share, so what exactly do u want to learn? That a v8 engine burns more fuel than a v6?

I think you need a lecture from Sen. Ben Bruce. grin grin
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 30, 2016
shotuns:

How did Macmilla upset you?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Teebond(m): 12:59am On May 01, 2016
I actually wanna get a 2005 infiniti g35 bt my frnd said i shouldn't because it is V6 3.5L that it ia not economical instead, i should get a 2005 peugeot 407 but wen i checked the MPG of d both cars, the difference in their MPG is just little. I will rather go for d infiniti because of d power and spead which at d end of d day, it only has a little difference in d MPG wen compared to d Peugeot 407 am advised to buy in place of d infiniti.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by shotuns: 3:40am On May 01, 2016
I have a Dodge Durango sport 2003 4.7litres V8 SOHC 16V, bought early this year and never driven it before because I am away at the moment. From the manual it says 17mpg on highway and 13 mpg within the city. Has anyone own this type of car before? What's your experience like? Thanks .
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 11:57pm On May 19, 2016
kulrunsman79:

Mercedes Benz c klasses are also da bomb.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Has Anyone On Nairaland Used An Innoson Vehicle Before? What Was Your Experience / My Ex-girl Is Disturbing Me.. What Should I Do / Toyota Corolla And Toyota Avensis, Which One Is The Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.