Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,605 members, 7,827,287 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? (20161 Views)

List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them Eventually (photos) / Imo Pensioners "Invoke Spirit Of Ancestors" Over Their Arrears. PICS / INEC Should Postpone Ondo Election In The Spirit Of Fairness -fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by zcm2015: 9:54am On Apr 07, 2016
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 07, 2016
bibelo:

I agree with you in some aspects but disagree with you on the ethnic capital of some people. Lagos is pure Yoruba land, and very accommodating, show me any south east state that ever appointed a Yoruba man in its executive cabinet? None. .... But Lagos appointed Ben akabueze as commissioner for economic planning and budget for 8years, a post that has approval limit for expenditures above the approval limit of the deputy governor. The slogan is now "Itesiwaju Eko lo je wa logun".
I just love the "Eko oni baje" slogan. Simple but powerful message, which epitomizes the true spirit of Lagos. But on the contrary nobody is disputing the status of Lagos as part of larger yoruba land. Everyone knows this except the troublemakers amongst us. However, what I see as mischievous, is when you compare Lagos with other states in the SE. You can only compare the major cities in the SE, NC, NE, SS, NW with places like Ibadan, Abeokuta and Akure. Not Lagos.
Lagos is not just a state, Lagos is a national symbol, just as Abuja is now. Nigeria as a nation will not be complete without the mention of Lagos. Why? Because Lagos was once the seat of Government during the independence of our great country. Our grandparents saw in Lagos a mini Nigeria, especially when Lagos started the March to nationhood. It was through the eyes of Lagos that ethnic diverse Nigeria first saw themselves as one. Thereby making it the first melting pot of colonial Nigeria - a home for all. The dark era of the military rule held sway in Lagos, the days of the khaki boys in Dodan Barracks, the march against tyranny and a united voice of all nigerians echoed from Lagos. The day you destroy Lagos is the day you destroy the fabrics that held Nigeria together. So we should be careful with the kind of tribal politics we play in the city.

4 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Kingspin(m): 9:58am On Apr 07, 2016
bibelo:

I agree with you in some aspects but disagree with you on the ethnic capital of some people. Lagos is pure Yoruba land, and very accommodating, show me any south east state that ever appointed a Yoruba man in its executive cabinet? None. .... But Lagos appointed Ben akabueze as commissioner for economic planning and budget for 8years, a post that has approval limit for expenditures above the approval limit of the deputy governor. The slogan is now "Itesiwaju Eko lo je wa logun".
Which one is Lagos accommodating and still a tribal capital for Yorubas? Dont confuse urself. I remember gov. Rochas appointed someone from outside his state. But that should be my thought, i want to remind you that Nigerian problem has never been corruption but tribal and religious. I dnt care who is in position as long as things are done in fairness to all.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 07, 2016
lastpage:

Look, the only reason you seldom hear the phrase "Eko o'ni baje" any more is because in REALITY, under Ambode, a lot of things done dey b'aje for Lagos!

Lagosians just dont shout slogans, if they are not seeing and feeling the impact! Lagosians are likely the smartest peeps in Nigeria.

All Ambode does is erect big signboards of himself all over the place, "promising" to start repair work on a Road, he will dig up the road and then abandon it, causing even more hardship to the road users (Go and Check Borno Way in Ebute Metta ...... l dorve past the place in January and then a week ago.)

Insecurity is a huge problem in Lagos, you'll likely get robbed once its after 7pm!
Area Boys and Omo-Oni'le are harassing people up and down, at every Junction you drive past!
Some of these Criminals will even tell you that The "Government has given them the green-light for their activities" and the Police gives them cover!
Even worse are the criminals occupying LGA seats as chairmen/persons!
Go and look at all street roads (which falls under their purview)..... its so bad you will think a Tsunami passed by because they just share the LGA allocation and the Governor smiles at them (I know some of these LGA chairs complain quietly about how the Governor and his tin-god at Bourdillon force them to part with a large chunk of their allocation while they loot the rest). undecided

EFCC and other Security agencies must save us from the grip of these Thugs installed as LGA chairs.
We want credible people to hold those posts as it is the grass-root and closest arm of Government to the people...... but with the "annointing policy" of APC, how will that happen?

Eko is gradually 'baje-in, if Ambode would not get down to real work ....and stop his frequent night-clubbing activities! undecided
I hope he is aware that the Public Water Works have been off for almost five days now, and this wont be the first time under his leadership!
It was not this frequent under Fashola.

Anyway, l blame Tinubu for foisting "omo-baba" on APC.... since PDP is a no-go area in Lagos! grin

Lastpage!

boo, upon all these things wey you write, na only 2likes you don get.

choi

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by viktoooh: 10:13am On Apr 07, 2016
The govt no longer give them grants that's the major reason the group has gone hiding
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by mercyville: 10:24am On Apr 07, 2016
gaffig:
chai ur stupidity is overwhelming.. Clap for urself.. Where u dey live sef?

His yoruba fit strangle person die. 'Kilo ne e na'?
He must be from the 'no man's land'region...lol

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Maromark(m): 10:28am On Apr 07, 2016
Chascop:

should I tag you a foolish person or a charlatan?

what nonsense. What are you even saying?

you must not insult him to make your point. Be mature
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Shymm3x: 10:34am On Apr 07, 2016
Lol.

I thought I was going to read something interesting about what makes Lagos tick organically. The spirit you feel when you're in Lagos and the soul of the city...something you feel naturally and that happens organically, not something that's defined or forced. However, this crap is about a campaign on "Spirit of Lagos" - hysterical.

All major cities across the globe have the spirit that you feel when you're out there. It's not forced - it just happens organically. Once you're in Paris, they don't need to tell you that it's the city of love/romance for you to feel it in the atmosphere. The allure and Parisians would make you feel it. London is fast paced and aggressive...you'll just feel that from the accent and the way people speak. And the soul of London is the old meet the new and the Thames River, forming a bond of togetherness. Even in London, all the different parts have their unique soul/spirit that's organic. Once you're in South London for example, you would know and feel it cos of the hype and rowdiness.

Then when you go New York City, without anyone telling you, you would feel the consciousness/spirit of freedom represented by the Statue of Liberty and how carefree New Yorkers are.

Get real and write something more interesting about what happens in Lagos organically.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by engrchykae(m): 10:54am On Apr 07, 2016
Every region in nigeria have made sacrifices as the southwest sacrificed lagos,the north sacrificed almajiris,the southsouth sacrificed their crude oil while the southeast paid in blood.
Someone should help me with that of the middlebelt.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 07, 2016
engrchykae:
Every region in nigeria have made sacrifices as the southwest sacrificed lagos,the north sacrificed almajiris,the southsouth sacrificed their crude oil while the southeast paid in blood.
The South East sacrificed blood to break away from Nigeria but they failed. So the so called sacrifice is in no way of benefit to Nigeria. The Almajiris are of no benefit to Nigeria as well. If Lagos is a sacrifice to Nigeria, then what is Abuja? Or have you forgotten that Abuja is in the middlebelt? Besides, your argument does not make any sensible contribution to this thread.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Chinom(m): 11:10am On Apr 07, 2016
bibelo:

Sorry to disappoint you. Lagos is NOT pure Yoruba land. Ibadan, Ife, Akure, Ondo etc are pure Yoruba lands. Lagos is not. Accept it and move on. If you wish to compare SE states with Yoruba states, then compare them with Oyo, Ondo, Osun etc. Not Lagos. There are millions of non-Yorubas born and bred in Lagos since the 1930s. What the Hausas did at Mile 12 should be a reminder to you that Lagos belongs to all Nigerians. Even the British separated it from the Western region back in the day.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by push22a: 11:15am On Apr 07, 2016
[size=38pt]He is busy wasting his time with an ex Governor.[/size]
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by mapet: 11:37am On Apr 07, 2016
Though the intent is good, but Azuka got some thing factually and contextually wrong

1. Spirit of Lagos is an NGO and not an organ of government. Secondly, the body is still very active, may be they've dropped the ante a little bit. As at December 2015, they organised an award ceremony and the recipients baffled me(ordinary citizens who made impact in Lagos and not your everyday politician or captain of industry)

2. Contextually, you cannot continue to "mouth" "Eko o nibaje" for life. If you truly understand Yoruba very well, you will note that there's got to be a time when progress is needed and we should move on to something new.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Pchidexy(m): 1:28pm On Apr 07, 2016
Godswillnwaoma:
All I know be say 'lagos na no man's land'. No body, no tribe, no ethnicity, own that land called lagos.

If yorrobers get you ehn!
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Pchidexy(m): 1:33pm On Apr 07, 2016
Chinom:

Sorry to disappoint you. Lagos is NOT pure Yoruba land. Ibadan, Ife, Akure, Ondo etc are pure Yoruba lands. Lagos is not. Accept it and move on. If you wish to compare SE states with Yoruba states, then compare them with Oyo, Ondo, Osun etc. Not Lagos. There are millions of non-Yorubas born and bred in Lagos since the 1930s. What the Hausas did at Mile 12 should be a reminder to you that Lagos belongs to all Nigerians. Even the British separated it from the Western region back in the day.

Tell' em. Africans and their silly way of reasoning! Smh!
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by lastpage: 1:48pm On Apr 07, 2016
Chascop:

boo, upon all these things wey you write, na only 2likes you don get.

choi

Only small boys who sell Galla in slow-traffic like you, "Live on LIKES"!

I am not on that level..... go and ask your father! undecided undecided undecided
Didinrin!

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by itstpia8: 2:26pm On Apr 07, 2016
engrchykae:

Can you explain all this better.

Southsouth sacrificed inanimate objects while everybody else sacrificed organic matter?
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by solibayo: 3:18pm On Apr 07, 2016
Your stupidity sir is quite awesome and bewildering

In your village and state, can you even sell land for a non-indigene talkless of the non-indigene holding lofty and sensitive political/ administrative posts?

If lagosians had denied baba Emeka and Chukudi right to their houses after the civil war as they did in Port Harcourt and other places, you will not be here spewing rubbish

SMH!

Godswillnwaoma:
All I know be say 'lagos na no man's land'. No body, no tribe, no ethnicity, own that land called lagos.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by King44(m): 3:20pm On Apr 07, 2016
Ambode is a flaw he has no solution to any Lagos state problem he is clueless
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by hydee44(m): 3:22pm On Apr 07, 2016
Godswillnwaoma:
There you go again. But have it in mind that some people are already living before anybody came.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by engrchykae(m): 3:28pm On Apr 07, 2016
itstpia8:

Can you explain all this better.

Southsouth sacrificed inanimate objects while everybody else sacrificed organic matter?
pls u guys should let me be.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Apr 07, 2016
sad
samted:
TB Joshua has cast it out by mistake lipsrsealed

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 07, 2016
undecided
solibayo:
Your stupidity sir is quite awesome and bewildering

In your village and state, can you even sell land for a non-indigene talkless of the non-indigene holding lofty and sensitive political/ administrative posts?

If lagosians had denied baba Emeka and Chukudi right to their houses after the civil war as they did in Port Harcourt and other places, you will not be here spewing rubbish

SMH!

Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by sitibemfen(m): 4:28pm On Apr 07, 2016
The present gov't of lagos needs to take a close study of this issue and refire it with a new nomenclature
From federal to states, governance is slow, no experimentation, no risk taking,, no clear cut direction, no talking to people, too much confusion, inertia should be controlled.Hence!
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 07, 2016
Chascop:

should I tag you a foolish person or a charlatan?

what nonsense. What are you even saying?

a charlatan?? I don't see the need to use words whose meanings you don't fully grasp.

btw, that was a joke.. guess it hurt you sensitive feelings. tongue

no apologies.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 07, 2016
dammydrumz:
sad

you found it!! grin grin
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Totalman1(m): 8:22pm On Apr 07, 2016
@Bibelo...Thumbs up.
"Itesiwaju Eko..." (no long thing)
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by Totalman1(m): 8:25pm On Apr 07, 2016
@Bibelo...Thumbs up!
"Itesiwaju Eko"... (no long thing)
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by damton(m): 8:56pm On Apr 07, 2016
Chinom:

perhaps you are not privy to history.

Lagos remains a complete Yoruba territory as long as you don't have any historical record of any other tribe or ethnic group that has inhabited that portion of land.

you might want to cite the Eguns from Badaagry as an example of other ethnic group that has ever lived on that swathe of land but the truth is when it comes to EKO. it as always been the ancestry home of the Isolo, ikorodu, Epe (where the present governor hails). Awori.

However, what we refer to in modern day Lagos with extensions into deep mainland can be described as the making of the British colonialist.

Instructively, don't forget that when the British colonial lords wanted to annex Lagos and make it a crown colony, they had depose the king of Lagos then, one KOSOKO and send him on Exile to impose their stooge oba Dosunmu.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by candyboy(m): 9:39am On Apr 08, 2016
igboboy3:

Dey dia and be deceiving your self.
Ambode appointed a Northerner to his cabinet
Igbos are winning elections in more than one constituency in Lagos.
The head of the 25billion employment fund, Omoigui-Okauru, is not a Lagosian

If you like, don't adapt with the times. Remain archaic like a tree until the flood of change will sweep you away

So you're invariably saying that Igbos owns Lagos just because you guys won election in one or two constituencies in Lagos?
Just because we allowed that to happen means we are more tolerable than you guys. Can you tell me how many yorubas occupy a singular political position in Igbo land as Lagos? I can't see any.

Just because a nigerian by blood won an election as a member of british parliament, so we will now regard London as a no man's land? Common grow some sense and stop being foolish with warped thinking.

The logical truth is even if you guys succeeded in winning one, two or three constituencies in Lagos state, the benefits thereof remains in Lagos State and ur wretched state will continue to wallow in poverty and Lagos will continue ti develop and wax stronger than ur state period!

Please continue to develop our state for us at ur state's peril.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by igboboy3(m): 3:31pm On Apr 08, 2016
candyboy:

So you're invariably saying that Igbos owns Lagos just because you guys won election in one or two constituencies in Lagos?
Just because we allowed that to happen means we are more tolerable than you guys. Can you tell me how many yorubas occupy a singular political position in Igbo land as Lagos? I can't see any.

Just because a nigerian by blood won an election as a member of british parliament, so we will now regard London as a no man's land? Common grow some sense and stop being foolish with warped thinking.

The logical truth is even if you guys succeeded in winning one, two or three constituencies in Lagos state, the benefits thereof remains in Lagos State and ur wretched state will continue to wallow in poverty and Lagos will continue ti develop and wax stronger than ur state period!

Please continue to develop our state for us at ur state's peril.

I don't know how you interpreted my post as "Igbos own Lagos." Lagos is a melting pot and nobody can claim possession of it. In the UK, the Brits are still in a overwhelming majority and you can't compare it to Lagos
Re: What Happened To The Spirit Of Lagos? by 7lives: 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2016
lastpage:

Look, the only reason you seldom hear the phrase "Eko o'ni baje" any more is because in REALITY, under Ambode, a lot of things done dey b'aje for Lagos!

Lagosians just dont shout slogans, if they are not seeing and feeling the impact! Lagosians are likely the smartest peeps in Nigeria.

All Ambode does is erect big signboards of himself all over the place, "promising" to start repair work on a Road, he will dig up the road and then abandon it, causing even more hardship to the road users (Go and Check Borno Way in Ebute Metta ...... l dorve past the place in January and then a week ago.)

Insecurity is a huge problem in Lagos, you'll likely get robbed once its after 7pm!
Area Boys and Omo-Oni'le are harassing people up and down, at every Junction you drive past!
Some of these Criminals will even tell you that The "Government has given them the green-light for their activities" and the Police gives them cover!
Even worse are the criminals occupying LGA seats as chairmen/persons!
Go and look at all street roads (which falls under their purview)..... its so bad you will think a Tsunami passed by because they just share the LGA allocation and the Governor smiles at them (I know some of these LGA chairs complain quietly about how the Governor and his tin-god at Bourdillon force them to part with a large chunk of their allocation while they loot the rest). undecided

EFCC and other Security agencies must save us from the grip of these Thugs installed as LGA chairs.
We want credible people to hold those posts as it is the grass-root and closest arm of Government to the people...... but with the "annointing policy" of APC, how will that happen?

Eko is gradually 'baje-in, if Ambode would not get down to real work ....and stop his frequent night-clubbing activities! undecided
I hope he is aware that the Public Water Works have been off for almost five days now, and this wont be the first time under his leadership!
It was not this frequent under Fashola.

Anyway, l blame Tinubu for foisting "omo-baba" on APC.... since PDP is a no-go area in Lagos! grin

Lastpage!

Are you sure you are in Lagos?, people living in areas like Oshodi, iyana Ipaja, pleasure abule Egba axis are currently celebrating AMBO.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gov Bagudu Mobilizing People Ahead Of APC Presidential Campaign Today [Photos] / Okah Hides Sim In Pant; Smuggles Phone Into Cell / APC USA Writes Buhari And Osinbajo, Congratulates And Warns Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.