Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 (27921 Views)

What Can You Build On Your Land In The Lekki Axis? / Rights Of Landlords And Tenants In Nigeria (part 1) by ibejulekkilawyer / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by funmind(f): 12:34pm On Apr 09, 2016
Cribpark:
Building in Nigeria is complicated, but it is easy when you know how to handle the issues involved.

www.cribpark.com

You can join our facebook group https://www./cribparkcommunity/ where you can post your specific questions and we will give you a prompt response.

You can also join our whatsapp group where home builders can ask any question relating to your home construction issues and our in-house professionals would reply them on the best practices. Send your number to 08068839618 if you are interested. It is free

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by otiigba1(m): 12:46pm On Apr 09, 2016
funmind:

What
yes! Sleep with them and they woun't trouble you. a lot of women did it to get were they are. tongue tongue
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by abouzaid: 1:13pm On Apr 09, 2016
Demainman1:

Call it whatever name you like. Omo onile is a Yoruba word. Igbo get name for their own extortion. The bottomline is you must pay the money before you break ground.

In my own case, those boys showed up immediately the saw activities on my land to tell me about the compulsory fees, failure to pay will lead to forceful disruption of activity.
bros, landlords association and town development unions are not the equivalent of omo oniles, read vingeophysicist post below to understand what is omo onile. nkpor,onitsha, obosi and ikwerre youths are mostly lazy unemployed youths and criminals, you paid to have peace of mind not because it's the custom in idemmilli, many others would refuse to pay and they would back out if they notice that you have strong eyes. by the way, why should anybody advice you to buy land in nkpor? don't you know that every town have undesirable areas due to crime?
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by abouzaid: 1:14pm On Apr 09, 2016
otiigba1:
yes! Sleep with them and they woun't trouble you. a lot of women did it to get were they are. tongue tongue
aboki na, would you tell that to your sister or daughter?
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Nobody: 1:21pm On Apr 09, 2016
abouzaid:
bros, landlords association and town development unions are not the equivalent of omo oniles, read vingeophysicist post below to understand what is omo onile. nkpor,onitsha, obosi and ikwerre youths are mostly lazy unemployed youths and criminals, you paid to have peace of mind not because it's the custom in idemmilli, many others would refuse to pay and they would back out if they notice that you have strong eyes. by the way, why should anybody advice you to buy land in nkpor? don't you know that every town have undesirable areas due to crime?
omonile nah bastard especially in Lagos. there was a day I almost fought them it was just that my boss restrain me.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Objectives: 1:30pm On Apr 09, 2016
vingeophysicist:
yoruba are the originator. if you don't know northerners have imitated them. bunch of lazy Yoruba youth

Your mind is made up, No one can really save a man from himself.

Enjoy.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 09, 2016
Objectives:

Your mind is made up, No one can really save a man from himself.

Enjoy.
small boy I talk from experience don't allow me transfer my anger to you
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 09, 2016
9ice one bro,and very hilarious too.

Well done.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by abouzaid: 2:14pm On Apr 09, 2016
vingeophysicist:
omonile nah bastard especially in Lagos. there was a day I almost fought them it was just that my boss restrain me.
i blame it on the government.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by tivta(m): 2:19pm On Apr 09, 2016
vingeophysicist:
excuse me you are mad if you say the menace is more prominent in South South than south west. I am a witness and have experience such in njanikin Lagos state. my Oga paid this Yoruba lazy chief 250000 thousand naira at first before he started his one storey building. Then another lazy sets of youth came when we started the foundation,my boss gave those ones 80,000 naira and another youth came when we started decking.my boss gave those ones 50,000naira.we thought that was all they came when we started roofing(50,000),plastering(50,000) and fencing (70,000).when this guy's come they come along with there machete, pistol and the rest. in fact all those money we pay to them was due to our plea if not we will pay more than that. My pain is that the Lagos state government can't do anything about these. This is what we call legalize robbery. op God will slaughter you if you repeat that rubbish statement again. condom could have stop an empty brain like yours. withdraw your last statement.

Read before you comment, I didn't say it is rampant in South south I just said it is more dangerous there, either way everyone knows that their headquarters is in the southwest...
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by tivta(m): 2:23pm On Apr 09, 2016
Demainman1:

https://www.nairaland.com/1503621/construction-diary-block-6-flats/3

Read the comment entered at 10.57pm Dec 1, 2013

Wow, I and shocked and disappointed in them, perhaps they knew the developer has money, well that is just one in a million, am sure you agree with me it is easier and cheaper to build in the east...
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2016
tivta:

Read before you comment, I didn't say it is rampant in South south I just said it is more dangerous there, either way everyone knows that their headquarters is in the southwest...
am sorry but I speak from experience and I almost fought with them.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Candour(m): 2:49pm On Apr 09, 2016
Hilarious way of painting true pictures of the travails of building cheesy

Thought community boys problems was only in Lagos and PH until i encountered same in Ibadan though not as bad as the PH and Lagos guys. Amaechi brought some sanity to the building industry in PH but even then, you have to just settle some of them make you get peace.

The Lagos and sango Otta(Ogun state) omo-oniles are obviously beyond redemption. Even my mum wey be like Ikwerre and Isale eko combined had to just settle them make she rest grin

Maybe until an Amaechi type governor comes in to deal with them the same way the Obio Akpor boys were stopped.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by tivta(m): 2:54pm On Apr 09, 2016
vingeophysicist:
am sorry but I speak from experience and I almost fought with them.
I understand, there is nothing worse than paying jobless people to do nothing, their days are numbered in Jesus name
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 09, 2016
tivta:

I understand, there is nothing worse than paying jobless people to do nothing, their days are numbered in Jesus name
amen ooo
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Demainman1: 3:05pm On Apr 09, 2016
tivta:

Wow, I and shocked and disappointed in them, perhaps they knew the developer has money, well that is just one in a million, am sure you agree with me it is easier and cheaper to build in the east...

It's not one in a million, it's normal. Where my land is in owerri, I hear you must pay 100k for bungalow and 150k for storey building to the town union and also settle the village boys where the land is.

I even hear that you must also pay for borehole drilling too.

Like I said before, blame the leaders. Boys must eat. No jobs.

It's better to settle them else armed robbers will be too many.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by pedrilo: 3:26pm On Apr 09, 2016
Presently building a two bedroom bungalow in abj, although nobody comes to disturb me an. Building ur own home is nt easy but it is definitely worth doing.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Candour(m): 3:26pm On Apr 09, 2016
Demainman1:

It's not one in a million, it's normal. Where my land is in owerri, I hear you must pay 100k for bungalow and 150k for storey building to the town union and also settle the village boys where the land is.

I even hear that you must also pay for borehole drilling too.

Like I said before, blame the leaders. Boys must eat. No jobs.

It's better to settle them else armed robbers will be too many.

Exactly. You just can't be too sure. Like one wise pastor told me after i decided to get dirty with the guys. He said, ''what if these guys throw an explosive material into your house while you and your family are sleeping?'' and this was in the middle belt o where the problem was because i refused to buy materials from the community guys because of their exorbitant price?

As long as you have jobless folks and weak security in the country, these things will be difficult to eliminate.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by sorepco(m): 4:01pm On Apr 09, 2016
U r a big fat greek liar. I ve sum1 who was building 2 houses...4 deckibgs at same time in obosi. And the laxy corrupt onitsha-obosi people milked him so much so that he almost abandoned the project. Guess what the monies milked from him would ve built another 4 storey building!!!

He paid obosi and onitsha omoniles.
He paid the old and new village councils of both towns.
He paid elder council
He paid ancestors fee
He paid local govt
He paid state govt
There was 1 of the aforementioned receipts the wife lost...he repaid again

vingeophysicist:
the omonile thing nah only for Yoruba land. sets of lazy people.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Demainman1: 4:11pm On Apr 09, 2016
sorepco:
U r a big fat greek liar. I ve sum1 who was building 2 houses...4 deckibgs at same time in obosi. And the laxy corrupt onitsha-obosi people milked him so much so that he almost abandoned the project. Guess what the monies milked from him would ve built another 4 storey building!!!

He paid elder council
He paid ancestors fee
He paid local govt
He paid state govt

Obosi own worst. A man was killed few years ago in obosi because he argued with those thugs.

Omo onile is a decease.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Candour(m): 4:18pm On Apr 09, 2016
sorepco:

He paid elder council
He paid ancestors fee
He paid local govt
He paid state govt

shocked shocked shocked

If this is true, it means the obio akpor boys dey learn work

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by zill(f): 6:11pm On Apr 09, 2016
Op thanks for this, I can relate well with number 5; we had high hopes with our own when we started and after some time when neck wan break my husband just said let's just do it somehow and move in grin grin
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by brag3: 6:29pm On Apr 09, 2016
So spot on. I dey on finishing stage of project and i dont know where the money goes but they keep brimging bills evrryday. Another thing to is that nigerian artisans are so carelss and heartless. They dont take care when working and destroy things at will and you the owner has to keep fixing things. Its enough to blow your BP out of this world but we thank God ooo

mercylicious:
Omonile is everywhere ooo, in some places in Anambra, omonile fees are higher than the cost of the land. Its official . u get receipt for the payment and can even do search on the receipt like its a title doc.

I think one should get an estimate of the omonile fees b4 even buying land. U shld ask ur neighbours so the omoniles don't take u 4 granted as a mugu.

Another thing ppl experience is - when you roof your house. You are happy you have almost finished without knowing u have done only 50% of the work. The next stages are very annoying. U spend money without seeing when the money went. The wires are buried. Pipes are buried.. Etc
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by brag3: 6:34pm On Apr 09, 2016
We nigerians are own worst enemies. How do we always find ways to turn fun informative threads into tribalistic wars? And we wonder why we never make any progres. SMH

vingeophysicist:
at least we see South South kidnapping as criminal offence but Yoruba people see there own as there right. stealing in broad daylight. Nigeria is bullshit
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by sorepco(m): 6:35pm On Apr 09, 2016
Whats wrong with nkpor??

abouzaid:
bros, landlords association and town development unions are not the equivalent of omo oniles, read vingeophysicist post below t with o understand what is omo onile. nkpor,onitsha, obosi and ikwerre youths are mostly lazy unemployed youths and criminals, you paid to have peace of mind not because it's the custom in idemmilli, many others would refuse to pay and they would back out if they notice that you have strong eyes. by the way, why should anybody advice you to buy land in nkpor? don't you know that every town have undesirable areas due to crime?
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by sorepco(m): 6:39pm On Apr 09, 2016
Something like appeasing the land bs....

G

Candour:

shocked shocked shocked

If this is true, it means the obio akpor boys dey learn work
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by sorepco(m): 6:41pm On Apr 09, 2016
Ur guy is wise!! Move in m build small small...dat was wise of him

zill:
Op thanks for this, I can relate well with number 5; we had high hopes with our own when we started and after some time when neck wan break my husband just said let's just do it somehow and move in grin grin

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by abouzaid: 7:08pm On Apr 09, 2016
sorepco:
Whats wrong with nkpor??

asi na umu okorobia ndi nkpor bu so ndi oshi. ndi obosi na onitsha bu ndi oji egbe esu ori. o bu eziokwu?
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by anitank(f): 3:04am On Apr 10, 2016
This post is very educating yet worrisome, especially for a lady who wants to start a building project with absolutely no orientation at all. It's even hardest when you live outside the country and have to deal with hearsay and trust. And you can't even entirely trust your own family members because everybody want to enrich their pockets from you.

The longer I wait the more badly I want to build a house of my own, yet I can't deal with this
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by Candour(m): 7:15am On Apr 10, 2016
anitank:
This post is very educating yet worrisome, especially for a lady who wants to start a building project with absolutely no orientation at all. It's even hardest when you live outside the country and have to deal with hearsay and trust. And you can't even entirely trust your own family members because everybody want to enrich their pockets from you.

The longer I wait the more badly I want to build a house of my own, yet I can't deal with this

You have to find the courage to try otherwise you will NEVER make that dream of owning your own house possible.

Every endeavor is a risk.....even life.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by brag3: 10:44am On Apr 10, 2016
Well said

Candour:

You have to find the courage to try otherwise you will NEVER make that dream of owning your own house possible.

Every endeavor is a risk.....even life.
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 by gabbytabby: 12:18pm On Apr 10, 2016
Dieumerci:

Ok.
Madam Gabbytabby is the Queen of the property section of this forum.

Very versatile and still humble.

If you intend to go into properties and want to know how a woman can get through the hassles, then reach out to her.

I have been offline for a week. Queen indeed. The comments on the topic reminded me why I have not gone on holiday until last year cos I was always thinking how far the holiday money will take the project further forward.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The Proposed Nigeria Elevation Tower / Fire Destroys Vivid Imagination Fashion House In Lagos (Photos) / Philanthropist Relocates Abia Woman From A Mud House To A New House (Photos )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.