Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,057 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections (1419 Views)

Poll: Should they be Allowed?

Yes: 38% (7 votes)
NO: 61% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Yoruba, Source Of APC's Success In Elections — Gov. Al-Makura / Buhari Refusal To Participate In Debate Shocks Supporters / INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by auwal87(m): 10:43am On Aug 01, 2009
Maybe, maybe, maybe, we will get rid of the extremists view that the only way they can fulfill their mission is by force, by allowing them to contest in elections, only those interested in their opinions will vote for them. Meanwhile, it is still a democracy, and all religions should be allowed to participate.

What are your opinions on this?
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Tsiya(m): 10:54am On Aug 01, 2009
May be, May be, May be in ur new Arewa republic. I dont trust any religious leader. They are selfish, greedy, and power drunk. Religious parties in the north will bring more violence nd blood shed.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by auwal87(m): 10:58am On Aug 01, 2009
Tsiya:

May be, May be, May be in ur new Arewa republic. I dont trust any religious leader. They are selfish, greedy, and power drunk. Religious parties in the north will bring more violence nd blood shed.

But by giving them the opportunity to participate in the politics, it will create a new dimension for them, and say, hey, if we want to win, then we have to soften our belief, we have to do this and that in order to win people's heart, as such, they will do everything possible to get people vote for them.

You see, by getting them into politics, they will forget about force, because their absence in the politics makes them think that the only way for them is through violence.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Tsiya(m): 11:08am On Aug 01, 2009
auwal87:

But by giving them the opportunity to participate in the politics, it will create a new dimension for them, and say, hey, if we want to win, then we have to soften our belief, we have to do this and that in order to win people's heart, as such, they will do everything possible to get people vote for them.

You see, by getting them into politics, they will forget about force, because their absence in the politics makes them think that the only way for them is through violence.

It is not by getting to them into politics. It is a known fact that religious leaders are the greatest milkers of all time. They have no job, no profession, no business, just doing maula from one maikudi to another mai kudi and blaming masu kudi for not giving zakkat.

This whole problem will not not start if our elites have provided education for everybody and also equal distribution of wealth. The elite and the educated have cornered all the resources in the country. How can you explain a situation where the official car of a local goverment chairman is more than the budget of a local hospital? How can you explain the massively built and gated houses that littered all GRA quaters in the north and the vast majority of the people can not even find a place to sleep. How can you explain the Noise that comes from the house of the rich people generating sets every night, disturbing our sleep and chocking us with fumes, while they sleep happily in their air conditioned, window closed mansions. How can you explain the difference between private and public schools. How can you explain the closure of Nigerian Universities while the children of the rich people are in Malaysia, UK, and US studying. . . .
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by HarryPotter1(m): 11:15am On Aug 01, 2009
No! Tsiya i dont concour wit wat u said Arewa is right i think its tme we gve the religious parties the chance 2 tke part in politices who know may be God will show mercy on Nigeria and change our misfortunes.wat do you think. cool
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by HarryPotter1(m): 11:15am On Aug 01, 2009
No! Tsiya i dont concour wit wat u said Arewa is right i think its tme we gve the religious parties the chance 2 tke part in politices who know may be God will show mercy on Nigeria and change our misfortunes.wat do you think. cool
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Tsiya(m): 11:24am On Aug 01, 2009
Harry Potter:

You see the problem we have in Nigeria is lack of justice and good governance. By all means, if religious organisations in Nigeria are allowed to form poltical parties, then even the little freedom we have for freedom of expression will be seriously suppress. You dont expect anybody to come out and criticise a religious leader, and when you do, u are in trouble, course his followers will be after you.

Religious leaders are the biggest dictators you will ever get. Take a look at all the religious organisations we have in Nigeria, from the Islamic to the Christain organisations. The leaders are the Alpha and Omega.

And moreover in Nigeria, u already have within different sects calling others as non believers or evil.
What is happening between the izala sect and the darika sects
what is happening between TB Josua and Adeboye

If religious leaders are giving political power . . . I can just imagine Kano!!!!
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by shoboy9: 11:26am On Aug 01, 2009
Yes of course, bring religion into politics  so we can have full scale civil war (part II) instead of all the small scale nonsense going on right now. Good chap.

Are you joking
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Tudor6(f): 11:40am On Aug 01, 2009
Look at all these drunkards clamouring for religious parties aka islamist parties. . . . They want another self-styled Taliban or Hamas in nigeria. . . .*hisses*
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Tsiya(m): 12:12pm On Aug 01, 2009
Tudór:

Look at all these drunkards clamouring for religious parties aka islamist parties. . . . They want another self-styled Taliban or Hamas in nigeria. . . .*hisses*

You know they dont drink . . .
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by sfiea: 12:13pm On Aug 01, 2009
@ Tsiya

You've got valid points though, but it depends on your religious belief/leader, is it that of an eye for an eye or that of forgiveness?

OR

That of a believer who understands the Holy books thru the Holy Spirit or one who just believe every rhapsody that cometh out of a selfish/self centered mans mouth

OR

When you reverend your religious leader to the extreme, even when they fart you say amen or peace be unto you?

We all know of several General Overseeer(s) (GO)/Imam(s)/Babalawo(s) that no one can ever see their sins except GOD,
the followers believe they are saints or when they sin it's interpreted/mis-represented for good,

THEY ALL LIVE LIKE DICTATORS without any compassion for the common wretched sheep, always focusing on [s]the gigantic structure called house of GOD[/s] their empire at the expense of the poor who lives under the bridge next to the very structure built by the poor sheep's offering, AGBALOWO MEERI (they collect from those who don't have) except for some selected few only known to BABA GOD.

LET THEM ALL DECLARE THIER ASSETS, YOU WILL MARVEL, CHURCH MONEY BELONGING TO AN INDIVIDUAL.

Based on the above submission, is that the type of leaders you want in politics? If not, then nominate just one person and lets debate on that individual, beseech and support him for Presidency.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by lonewolf: 12:22pm On Aug 01, 2009
Religion has no place in the implementation of policy. The notion that religious groups start partcipating in elections is dangerous.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by ilosiwaju: 12:43pm On Aug 01, 2009
Tudór:

Iran, Libya etc. Nigerians will never learn.
With little or no political motivation, islamists kill, there was the lyon torture by xtians, peaceful buddhist monks in myanmar were turned into rioters by an oppressive government etc. Now they(xtians and muslims particularly) have GOD to obey and people to "serve and protect". If this does not sound like an recipe for genocide, nothing will.
Food for thought:will the allow an atheist political party(APP) or ogun worshippers convention(OWC) or sango peoples forum(SPF).

I smell gunpowder!
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Tudor6(f): 2:13pm On Aug 01, 2009
ilosiwaju:

Iran, Libya etc. Nigerians will never learn.
With little or no political motivation, islamists kill, there was the lyon torture by xtians, peaceful buddhist monks in myanmar were turned into rioters by an oppressive government etc. Now they(xtians and muslims particularly) have GOD to obey and people to "serve and protect". If this does not sound like an recipe for genocide, nothing will.
Food for thought:will the allow an[b] atheist political party(APP)[/b] or ogun worshippers convention(OWC) or sango peoples forum(SPF).

I smell gunpowder!

This can never happen!
Ordinarily i as an atheist am considered a demon or agent of the devil. . . .what do you expect for an atheistic party?
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by sherrylo: 5:21pm On Aug 01, 2009
Hey! you want to finish Nigeria abi? please do not even consider it!
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by generalzango(m): 6:29pm On Aug 01, 2009
Dis 1 some guys they talk about islamists,let me give the koko. True Muslims any where are peace makers,thats why we say "Assalamu Alaikum" meaning "Peace be upon you" when ever we meet each other etc. See the Hausa people are not the only Muslim tribe in Nigeria. There are Yoruba,Igbo,Ijaw etc muslims but why don't they fight in the name of religion. It simply means there are selfish reasons for these.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Tudor6(f): 7:15pm On Aug 01, 2009
generalzango:

Dis 1 some guys they talk about islamists,let me give the koko. True Muslims any where are peace makers,thats why we say "Assalamu Alaikum" meaning  "Peace be upon you" when ever we meet each other etc.  See the Hausa people are not the only Muslim tribe in Nigeria. There are Yoruba,Igbo,Ijaw etc muslims but why don't they fight in the name of religion. It simply means there are  selfish reasons for these.
Osama bin laden also says "Assalam Ailakum" at the begining of his terrorist videos.- true muslim indeed.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by auwal87(m): 7:49pm On Aug 01, 2009
Tudór:

Osama bin laden also says "Assalam Ailakum" at the begining of his terrorist videos.- true muslim indeed.

Even a non-Muslim can say that Arabic sentence (peace be upon you). So trash that point.

Meanwhile, we are talking of Politics, where every participant wants to succeed, in this context, Religious Groups may form a single party to accommodate their appraisal, while other groups also do the same.

In this topic, Christianity, Judaism, Paganism, Atheism, and Islam are all included, let each religious group have its own party.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 01, 2009
This is so ignorant!!!! If religious parties participate and win, Muslims will rule with Islamic laws and Christians with their laws. I think enough bloodshed already. Ask the Iranians where they are right now. Their citizens are fleeing and becoming atheist outside Iran. Rome used to be like that and what did we get? Spanish inquisition, templar knights, the final fall of Egypt, Romans against Greeks cause the Romans think the Greeks were pagans. Religion and politics doesn't mix at all. I noticed most of your threads (Auwa) are always about Arewa or Islam. If you want Arewa republic, mobilize your people  to vote for it. No God will help cause some religious people won an election. Our problems are man made and can be solved by man not some imaginary being.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Krayola2(m): 1:58am On Aug 02, 2009
haha. They thought that was a good idea in Palestine, till Hamas won  grin grin
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by bawomolo(m): 3:15am On Aug 02, 2009
yes they should be allowed. that's the beauty of democracy.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by jamace(m): 7:06am On Aug 02, 2009
yes they should be allowed. that's the beauty of democracy.

Did I hear you say that is the beauty of DEMONCRAZY?
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by akx(m): 9:44am On Aug 02, 2009
I strongly disagree, religion and politics dont mix, especially in a volatile political environment such as ours,
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by nex(m): 10:14am On Aug 02, 2009
I see know reason why there shouldn't be religious parties. After all, there are ethnic parties, regional parties and tribal parties.

There are two main things killing Nigeria. Religious Fanatism and Tribalism. Why should we formalise one and not the other.

If we wan spoil, make we spoil finish once. I don't know why we're choosing the long slow route to destruction.

However, whether we have religious parties or not, PDP will still rule this country because it invites elements of all.

So bring them on. Remember too that in a religious government, the leader should not be questioned or judged because he was chosen by God. At least all these tribal governments have not have that kind of umbrella and they're committing such havoc. Goodluck Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by mchenry(m): 12:37pm On Aug 02, 2009
Have you been to covenant university? imagine Oyedepo doing that to the whole nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by nex(m): 12:51pm On Aug 02, 2009
Which kain English I come dey speak for my earlier post? Abi all the religious party proponents don pray against my keypad?

Imagine Mallam Yusuf running the whole of Borno state, or Reverend King as Lagos state Governor.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by akx(m): 2:45pm On Aug 02, 2009
mchenry:

Have you been to covenant university? imagine Oyedepo doing that to the whole nigeria.

I'm a great fan of what Bishop David Oyedepo is doing in Canaanland, but you must realize one thing, what operates in Canaanland is not a democracy, but more of a dictatorship. That's why I sometimes wonder if democracy will ever work properly in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 02, 2009
honestly, there are many dunces on NL than i imagined.

when some fools are already saying "states with large percentage of islamist should be an islam state"

why cant islam be a religion of peace for once?
i havent seen churches shedding blood, or forcing ppl to be christians

(1) (Reply)

What Will Happen To Nairaland If Nigeria Breaks Into Pieces? / Aregbesola Vs Oyinlola Judgement Day / Inec Tells Lagbaja No You Cannot Wear Your Mask To Vote,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.