Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,042 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers (8838 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Makes Vanity Fair List Of International Best Dressed / How I was Scammed by Facebook Sugar Mummy / Top Five Book Publishers In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by oludare007: 11:33am On Apr 12, 2016
It is no news that every writer would love to get published, but what most of us failed to realize is that, as an aspiring and upcoming writer, we must understand one thing- we are an easy target!

I am sorry that I have to be that blunt about it, but how else does one say the truth without saying the truth?

Many so called ‘publishers’ will hijack your work, trash you and your work, tell you to forget about writing, tell you to bring a fortune for editing or publishing and so on. You will be put in a snooker, such that you will forget that you even have an option.

But believe me, not all these vanity publishers are so harsh with the way they respond to your submission, some of them are so nice, until they get hold of your manuscript.

WHO IS A VANITY PUBLISHER/HOW CAN YOU RECOGNISE THEM?

Vanity (or subsidy) publishers are what we can call ‘a glorified printing press owners’. Someone just got the opportunity to own a lovely printing press and viola, he calls himself a publisher just because he is in the art of obtaining ISBN for the unsuspecting writers!

These people set up companies and employ some editors who will proofread your manuscripts and most times, have no idea of what you were even trying to pass on. Vanity publishers don’t even have time to read your manuscripts- they rarely do. The moment they see your mail, and probably your synopsis and your three sample chapters (which was never read because they don’t really care about you), they will send you a nice reply about how the board of editors have passed your book for the final editing and how you will be contacted if your manuscript is to be considered for publishing. Be rest assured, it will be.

Now, after congratulating you about ‘your manuscript meeting their publishing standard’ (if ever they had any) and how it is being considered for publication, you will be asked to send the WHOLE MANUSCRIPT for the editor’s perusal (please, don’t) and a publishing agreement will be forwarded to you for your rejection or acceptance. You will definitely be thrown a bait of the popular 70% royalty on every sale too!

Now, don’t get it twisted, real publishers will require these too…

But the main focal point to identify a vanity publisher is that, “you will be required to pay a small fee as commitment before your book is published”. By the time they give you a price, you wouldn’t realize that it had already covered the cost of printing the required numbers of copies they promised to print (exactly what you paid for)!

Now, let us stop here and get some air.

Vanity publishers don’t care if your work meets any standard, and your manuscript is not even safe (especially if it is not copyrighted). All they wanted to do is their job- print and make profit. But after 500 copies (or whatever you paid for) have been delivered, your books will probably ‘not leave their shelf’.

For the marketing aspect, vanity publishers will provided with a free blog and hosted at a very cheap price- all within your payment! If you happened to make good sales after you are left to put in every last effort on marketing, good for them- not you, because the 30% that belongs to them is a plus, after the initial profit of printing. And worst still, you must have already entered a contractual agreement whereby, if your book ever made unexpected headlines, you are indirectly advertising them for a job you paid for, and helping them make more money.

They probably call themselves publishers because they have helped your lazy and ignorant self, purchase an ISBN for your book, registered in their name too. So, technically, they are profit-partakers of your work and owing part of the copyright. So, when you get lucky and either got a bigger book deal or a movie deal, don’t forget, you’ve got partners whom you’ve paid to help you print, collect ISBN and still waiting ripping you off by sharing in the profit!

Note that whoever owns the ISBN owns the book and the author.

SO, HOW DO YOU AVOID THEM?

Like I said, all steps involved, from submitting a manuscript and accepting to publish you, are real until they ask for the whole manuscript without a pre-contract. So,

1. Never send your manuscript without you getting an ISBN. This is very cheap, and the process is quite simple. Contact the copyright house in your locality. If you cannot afford this, ensure that your manuscript is published online (at your own risk), self-published (even if you won’t sell a copy of it, it will still be registered as a published book) or simply send a copy of the manuscript to yourself or friends by mail (they may not open it, but it will have a date and time as reference).

Vanity publishers employ ghoat writers who, with your synopsis and sample chapters, will rewrite your good story!

2. Don’t sign any stupid agreement that requires you to pay before you get published.

3. Don’t pay before or after you are being considered for publication.

ANOTHER WAY TO IDENTIFY VANITY PUBLISHERS IS TO IDENTIFY THE REAL PUBLISHERS

1. That will offers to take on the publishing and major marketing expenses;
2. That are ready to assign you an editor to take you through your whole editing experience and;
3. Ready to meet with you or your agent to discuss terms and agreement.
4. They may offer you a pre-contract before asking for the whole manuscript (pre-contract is not necessary, but you may be asked to sign an agreement for the safety of your manuscript) and
5. Will be ready to give you (not a whole 70% of sales but maybe far lesser because they are the one taking on the expenses including major marketing) your royalty.
6. Real (traditional) publishers will show the zeal to publish your manuscript if they feel it will bring in profit through sales, thus, they are always ready to spend their money and make it go places while you are made ready to read the excerpts to book clubs, sign autograph and rake in royalties with less effort.

So, dear readers, before you are being deceived by Printers who brand themselves as publishers, think twice and do not be in a hurry or you will be left to market your books at car parks just to break even (if you ever will).

Printers already made their profit the moment you pay them to print the numbers of copies that your payment covers, and you will do all the marketing for them.
Do not bring down your guard or write off yourself because they believed you cannot make it in the outside world- who says?

Remember, keep writing, and keep getting better.

Thank you.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by inkon: 12:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
edifying!

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by oludare007: 7:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
inkon:
edifying!
I hope you now realise how we were being scammed?

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by Divepen1(m): 10:11am On Apr 14, 2016
wow

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by felifeli: 6:45am On Apr 17, 2016
So, how do you get your book published when "real" publishers refuse to accept it? Do you forget about writing altogether? These will be the realities you face as a writer.
1. There are only a handful of "real" publishers in Nigeria
2. 95% of them are only interested in academic books. Even most of their books they develop in-house.
3. Most are not interested in yet unpublished writers
4. All of them also do "vanity" publishing for good authors.
5. Many famous writers have done vanity publishing at one point in their career.

The OP article I must say is misleading and much of it is copy and paste from Internet articles which have very little to do with Nigeria . A good "vanity press" can indeed assist a good writer to jumpstart a career when there are no "real publishers" to be found . Of course there may be an alternative. You can do the publishing by yourself.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by Acjohn(m): 6:59am On Apr 17, 2016
Good work. It will be helpful if you can name some real publishers and the vanity ones since we are been truthful.
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by Hermanie(m): 7:04am On Apr 17, 2016
Thanks op

I'm really looking forward to get by books published someday

Op are you into writing
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by rectitude(m): 7:05am On Apr 17, 2016
Great. Can you enlighten us more about kindle publishing on your next post please?
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by Nobody: 7:10am On Apr 17, 2016
what about self publishing
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by musicwriter(m): 7:42am On Apr 17, 2016
Some months ago, I created a similar thread to get information on writing a book, but it didn't make the front page.

What I've read here shows writing business is almost the same as the music industry. Meaning that there're probably books that would be considered as taboo, blasphemous, and un-publishable by publishing houses. Just like my music, those type of blasphemous book is what I'm interested in writing- something nobody have ever challenged; like education itself.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by veraiyke(m): 7:43am On Apr 17, 2016
Very true. I met one ppublishing company like that online some years back which I made more enquiry and sent them an email. Since then they've been calling and emailing me telling me they have assigned someone to directly work with me on which platinum and all I desire.told me to send some amount of dollar for us to begin and then send my work. Hmm my piece that I spent years uuting up I refused and didn't o. Till last year ending they were still calling and emailing m but I stopped interactions with them. Right now I am still looking for a good publishing company at an affordable price to publish my work. Publisher of "how europe underdeveloped africa" told me 350k for 1000 copies. I have met others who told me 200k and even 250 but I'm yet to make a choice. Don't want to rush in and get a bad beginning. Those in phc share your views please
inkon:
edifying!
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by yomalex(m): 7:49am On Apr 17, 2016
Writing and publishing
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by musicwriter(m): 7:49am On Apr 17, 2016
veraiyke:
Very true. I met one ppublishing company like that online some years back which I made more enquiry and sent them an email. Since then they've been calling and emailing me telling me they have assigned someone to directly work with me on which platinum and all I desire.told me to send some amount of dollar for us to begin and then send my work. Hmm my piece that I spent years uuting up I refused and didn't o. Till last year ending they were still calling and emailing m but I stopped interactions with them. Right now I am still looking for a good publishing company at an affordable price to publish my work. Publisher of "how europe underdeveloped africa" told me 350k for 1000 copies. I have met others who told me 200k and even 250 but I'm yet to make a choice. Don't want to rush in and get a bad beginning. Those in phc share your views please

I had wanted to contact "panaf publishing inc'' the publishers of ''how Europe underdeveloped Africa'' cause my book is going to be along that line. I'll appreciate if you can share their contact.
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by dejavooooo(m): 7:51am On Apr 17, 2016
Divepen1:
wow

Wooooooooooooow
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by Hermanie(m): 8:01am On Apr 17, 2016
musicwriter:
Some months ago, I created a similar thread to get information on writing a book, but it didn't make the front page.

What I've read here shows writing business is almost the same as the music industry. Meaning that there're probably books that would be considered as taboo, blasphemous, and un-publishable by publishing houses. Just like my music, those type of blasphemous book is what I'm interested in writing- something nobody have ever challenged; like education itself.

You should probably be reading more things like the da Vinci code, angels and demons, 48 laws of power and many more. There's a huge market for those controversial books if you can present it properly.

Myself I'm looking into crime fiction, or something that will make the reader question himself
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by 2scorehigh(m): 8:25am On Apr 17, 2016
veraiyke:
Very true. I met one publishing company like that online some years back which I made more enquiry and sent them an email. Since then they've been calling and emailing me telling me they have assigned someone to directly work with me on which platinum and all I desire.told me to send some amount of dollar for us to begin and then send my work. Hmm my piece that I spent years uuting up I refused and didn't o. Till last year ending they were still calling and emailing m but I stopped interactions with them. Right now I am still looking for a good publishing company at an affordable price to publish my work. Publisher of "how europe underdeveloped africa" told me 350k for 1000 copies. I have met others who told me 200k and even 250 but I'm yet to make a choice. Don't want to rush in and get a bad beginning. Those in phc share your views please

Why don't you try CreateSpace?
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by nenergy(m): 8:43am On Apr 17, 2016
Self-publishing is the way forward. Get a good proofreader. Print copies of the manuscript for selected intelligent and trustworthy friends to read through and criticize. Approach a printer. Marketing will be tough, but with a good plan you will sell. I still have 400 (out of 1200) copies of my book unsold.

I can help with ISBN. You pay only 4k for my services. PM me.

See: www.nairaland.com/1525726/get-isbn-2-working-days

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by veraiyke(m): 8:51am On Apr 17, 2016
Where's that please?
2scorehigh:

Why don't you try CreateSpace?

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by sunniislam(f): 9:06am On Apr 17, 2016
At least its an Eyeopener for would-be Writers
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by kingkoboko: 10:23am On Apr 17, 2016
Its good dat u'r educatin up-&-comin writers o! because they get very excited wen dese vanity publishers start callin dem from obodo oyibo. Hehehe...

Here's my own advice 2anyone dat wants 2b published in Naija. Read am thank me later:
https://yourkoboko./2015/08/14/nigerians-dont-buy-ebooks-because/
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by Harmonypublish: 10:32am On Apr 17, 2016
99% of all books in nigeria are published by so called vanity press. We don't have any traditional publishing company in nigeria because we don't have the structure. Find a good so called vanity press, publish your book and begin to sell. The problem with most nigerian authors is that they don't have fan base and they haven't take time to build one. Another thing is that most authors think their manuscript is the best thing after slice bread. My advice to you is; build your base through blog and social media. Understand how the market works. Look for a small successful nigerian authors and ask them questions or follow them closely. You will notice all of them used so called vanity press.

5 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by k2fresh: 11:45am On Apr 17, 2016
Harmonypublish:
99% of all books in nigeria are published by so called vanity press. We don't have any traditional publishing company in nigeria because we don't have the structure. Find a good so called vanity press, publish your book and begin to sell. The problem with most nigerian authors is that they don't have fan base and they haven't take time to build one. Another thing is that most authors think their manuscript is the best thing after slice bread. My advice to you is; build your base through blog and social media. Understand how the market works. Look for a small successful nigerian authors and ask them questions or follow them closely. You will notice all of them used so called vanity press.
it seems you are one of the so- called vanity press.
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by Harmonypublish: 12:14pm On Apr 17, 2016
k2fresh:
it seems you are one of the so- called vanity press.
we published naijasinglegirl book. We are self publishing company. That's what we do.

Pls define the difference between self publishing and vanity press
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by KINGwax007(m): 12:29pm On Apr 17, 2016
felifeli:
So, how do you get your book published when "real" publishers refuse to accept it? Do you forget about writing altogether? These will be the realities you face as a writer.
2. 95% of them are only interested in academic books. Even most of their books they develop in-house.
5. Many famous writers have done vanity publishing at one point in their career.

The OP article I must say is misleading and much of it is copy and paste from Internet articles which have very little to do with Nigeria . A good "vanity press" can indeed assist a good writer to jumpstart a career when there are no "real publishers" to be found . Of course there may be an alternative. You can do the publishing by yourself.
dude.. The topic is to differentiate a vanity press from a real publisher.

2. It is to enlighten you before you pay for a printing service and still throw away your pu liahijg rights since the so called vanity publishers will collect the ISBN in their company's name.

3. The article is not saying 'do not publish with vanity publishers', but be enlightened about hownit works.

4. Vanity publishers are pure vanith- you pay for printing, they hold the right and you still market your book.

Now, if u have to use a printing press, collect your ISBN and go pay for printing and market same in like manner- solo
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by KINGwax007(m): 12:33pm On Apr 17, 2016
Hermanie:
Thanks op

I'm really looking forward to get by books published someday

Op are you into writing
You may start with 'blood on the altar' ...a substantial percentage is for free for your reading pleasure.

https://www.nairaland.com/2927809/read-free-blood-altar
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by KINGwax007(m): 12:35pm On Apr 17, 2016
rectitude:
Great. Can you enlighten us more about kindle publishing on your next post please?
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by KINGwax007(m): 12:37pm On Apr 17, 2016
Acjohn:
Good work. It will be helpful if you can name some real publishers and the vanity ones since we are been truthful.
even though I knw a handful of them, I am not going to name names. I hope you understand. In truth, they are offering services thru fraud and misrepresentation, but I biliv that we can only educate and inform ourselves to see danger signs and avoid the snares.
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by oludare007: 12:55pm On Apr 17, 2016
Harmonypublish:
I understand there are lots and 99% of vanity publishers in Nigeria, but will you stop calling yourself 'publishers' because that is a misrepresentation. You are printers. Calling yourself publiahers' is preparing a snare for new writers who didn't knw that giving you the right the ISBN means you own the author. That is pure fraud because the author definitely paid for his printing. More than a quarter if a million is not child's play. Accord the author his/her rights.

In self publishing, the indie author is the publisher and not the platform. Unless, of course, you opted to use the platform to generate an ISBN.

In self publishing, you pay for editing, pay for printing, collect your printed books and start marketing. If ever a printer sees that the book will sell, he can decide to share in the loss and profit by contributing to the whole of the financial process...

Now, I am not saying that authors cannot use vanity press, I only want them to realise what they are doing and what they really want.

To be known, you can use a vanity publishers, but be great assured, getting a real publisher is not that hard.

I wish you success.
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by oludare007: 1:01pm On Apr 17, 2016
felifeli:

you are entitled to your opinion. There are tools online that check your plagiarism. My article is 100% mine after intensive research.
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by oludare007: 1:13pm On Apr 17, 2016
Hermanie:

You should probably be reading more things like the da Vinci code, angels and demons, 48 laws of power and many more. There's a huge market for those controversial books if you can present it properly.
Myself I'm looking into crime fiction, or something that will make the reader question himself
veraiyke:
ENIMONEY:
what about self publishing
musicwriter:

I had wanted to contact "panaf publishing inc'' the publishers of ''how Europe underdeveloped Africa'' cause my book is going to be along that line. I'll appreciate if you can share their contact.
Acjohn:
there are real publiahers' in Nigeria, you only have to present a very good manuscript. For example, Cassava press, farafina, origami and so on.

Abroad, there are Kensington publiahers, Pegasus, and so on.

But these publiahers publish as low as five books in a year and most times, publiahes the best that will sell.

For self publishing, try okadabooks.com, bookateria.net and so on for Nigeria. Overseas, createspace. When u make your books available on create space, it can be made available of many other platforms like Amazon, kindle, noble and Barnes and so on.

You do the marketing yourself and it's free. Collect your 70% royalty.

It is an eBook format. Not untik you request for prints do they call themselves publiahers. You are clearly instructed to choose to either let them provide an ISBN or you provide the one you've bought. This is what I want our own to do. Allow the author to choose!

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers by felifeli: 1:29pm On Apr 17, 2016
oludare007:
you are entitled to your opinion. There are tools online that check your plagiarism. My article is 100% mine after intensive research.

Good lord ! I didn't really mean to say that you copied the stuff from anywhere. Only that much of what you have put forward may not be any kind of option for a starting writer in any part of the world , who thinks he has a good story to tell but no publisher takes a chance on him , because publishing an unknown writer is too risky and you have to do a lot more marketing to get even some of your investment back.
I will advise instead that if you are serious about your writing at all, publish by ANY MEANS available to you.
1. Nobody is going to steal your worthless manuscript , and as an editor I have seen very many of those by cocky writers who think they have written the best book in the world.
2. Whether you give your book to a "real publisher" or a "vanity publisher" , you must still sell your book by yourself , one way or the other. If you think you can go it alone, by all means do "self publishing" , find your editor, book designers printer and go selling it by yourself keeping 100% of the profit. It is a very desirable option because giving your book to a "real publisher" does not guarantee that you will get a penny in royalty either ,quite candidly if they sell none of the book , there will be nothing to give to you as royalty. Eventually you may even find it more difficult to get your book back from "real publishers" because their contracts are usually tighter than with a "vanity press".

I think you have given a lot of important advice here... most of it bad unfortunately.

@KINGwax007 , who says that you cannot publish another edition of your book with a different ISBN ? Stop making people paranoid over their worthless writing. shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

My High School Diary / 3957 Free E-novels(limited Time Offer) / The Last Dance - A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.