Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,215 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

The New Wig And His B.L. Certificate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The New Wig And His B.L. Certificate (518 Views)

LL.B Or B.L Which One Do Companies And Firms Value More / "How Can I Start A Wig And Hair Business?" / Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The New Wig And His B.L. Certificate by fidorocks(m): 5:36pm On Apr 12, 2016
They would have told you that adding the word “barrister” (“Barr.” For short) as a title prefixing your name is wrong right? Saw many of you congratulating yourselves on social media and signed of with “Barr.” prefixing your name. Rules are meant to be broken otherwise we would have nothing to eat. What is the job of lawyer if not to explore every loophole in the law for the benefit of the client? So aren’t we entitled to some privileges as lawyers especially as it relates how we are addressed in the English Language irrespective of the rules of grammar?

Since we can’t make the word “learned” a title we can affix to our name though we mouth it, carry it on our heads and appropriate it exclusively (like we appropriated Esquire in Nigeria), we can flex and oppress with our “barrister” title. Don’t forget, many people went to read to law not to practise, but to be called barristers. My sister told me of a particular incident she witnessed where a passenger who had bought a ticket at a Motor Park had come back to the attendant fuming for not writing her name properly. The bone of contention? Your guess is as good as mine, “Barr.” was not added to the name.

Excerpts from the post "The New Wig and his B.L. Certificate. Read the rest of the post on
http://legalfido.com/the-new-wig-and-his-b-l-certificate/
Re: The New Wig And His B.L. Certificate by kazyhm(m): 7:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
I was once corrected to add engr to a boss' name rather than Mr.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tutors/trainers Needed: Make Money With Your Free Time / Dis Is Really Funny / 15 August 2016 Quotes In Hindi | Swatantrata Diwas Quotes In Hindi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.