Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism (22402 Views)

University Of Calabar Lecturer Gives Coke To His Students During Lecture / University Of Calabar Student Shot Dead (Graphic Photo) / History Produces First Class In University Of Calabar (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by gossipatrol(f): 4:07pm On Apr 14, 2016
searchng4love:

why not hide hide your ignorance by being mute?

Wow! Please could you tell me how lecturers become professors? Please I really, really, seriously want to know. So that I don't display my ignorance anymore.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by KingTom(m): 4:28pm On Apr 14, 2016
gossipatrol:

Really? Lmao. I can't stop laughing. My grandfather is a professor, so I know what am saying... but u are funny sha! How do you think lecturers become professors?

Lmao
you know since I've been exposed to them and I know They get there by writing books and publishing articles in journals most times through bribes cry but if your grandfather is a professor then you're probably right or maybe they've stopped using Papa's method grin
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by amtaken(f): 4:37pm On Apr 14, 2016
ModiKen:

Look up the meaning of plagiarism its even worse than examination malpractice. That Professor ought to be in jail!

an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author:

Now tell me how this is exam malpractice.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 14, 2016
gp6liveth:
Unical is not the only uni offering anti-corruption course. I also did studies in anti-corruption in UNIBEN at the PG level.
For plagiarism, its a big offence. How lazy or stingy is that prof not to run plagiarism test on the article or book.

Most Nigerian book authors mostly are lazy writers. They will just get a foreign book, remove the cover page and put their name, thereafter, they start selling it for students.

If ur fada na lecturer pls warn him of plagiarism and student extortion.

I need 3 trustworthy and ethically upright persons to join me so we can subscribe to a better plagiarism checker called grammarly. Contact me through gp6liveth4ever@yahoo.com
i'll send u a mail later
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by hopilo: 5:26pm On Apr 14, 2016
amtaken:
So plagiarism is now equivalent to examination malpractices?
It is cheating.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 14, 2016
Now I know I owe my supervisor a big thanks. He won't overlook a plagiarised line. Now, just like sexual urge, I always feel the urge to reference my sources.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 14, 2016
[quote author=amtaken post=44700582]

an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author:

Source, please Too late, you're under arrest for plagiarism!!!

Just kidding!
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by luvility(m): 11:39pm On Apr 14, 2016
IamAtribalist:

cool Which country? cool

LEGAL PUNISHMENTS

Most cases of plagiarism are considered misdemeanors, punishable by fines of anywhere between $100 and $50,000 -- and up to one year in jail.

Plagiarism can also be considered a felony under certain state and federal laws. For example, if a plagiarist copies and earns more than $2,500 from copyrighted material, he or she may face up to $250,000 in fines and up to ten years in jail.

Source:
http://www.plagiarism.org/ask-the-experts/faq/
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by amtaken(f): 12:22am On Apr 15, 2016
So how's this equivalent to examination malpractice?

[quote author=Ladrang post=44705330][/quote]
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 12:55am On Apr 15, 2016
amtaken:
So how's this equivalent to examination malpractice?

Plagiarism does not equate examination malpractice; they are siblings of the same academic vices. I think we can say plagiarism is stealing, while exam malpractice is cheating. I believe if you can differentiate between stealing and cheating, you will grab the distinction between plagiarism and examination malpractice.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by amtaken(f): 2:41am On Apr 15, 2016
I knew, that's why I asked the question but many people here erroneously jumped to the conclusion that I didn't know the meaning.

Ladrang:

Plagiarism does not equate examination malpractice; they are siblings of the same academic vices. I think we can say plagiarism is stealing, while exam malpractice is cheating. I believe if you can differentiate between stealing and cheating, you will grab the distinction between plagiarism and examination malpractice.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by tchituz(m): 5:18am On Apr 15, 2016
@aZeD1 - UNIPORT uses TURNITIN at MSc Level..it started with our class..our project work had to be subjected to the test..it was nt funny at all..lolzzz....TURNITIN has its flaws, buttom line u have to create ur own nd not copy..i had to attend lectures organised by the Post Graduate Sch. to understand how big a crime plagiarism was..according to wat I heard d sch paid abt a million naira to subscribe to TURNITIN..den de shared d password amongst all PST GRAD depts..to Re-subscribe they needed abt 4mill..expensive bt worth it. Wats 4mil to almighty UNIPORT..if TURNITIN is Introduced at UnderGRAD level..a large chunk of students may probably not GRAJ..lolzz
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by FKBZ: 6:22am On Apr 15, 2016
AZeD1:

Nigerian schools can't afford turnitin

UNIPORT IS USING IT OOO,EVEN OFFER A CERTIFICATE FOR IT.

Msc student
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by ModiKen(m): 7:51am On Apr 15, 2016
amtaken:

Now tell me how this is exam malpractice.

In other words, plagiarism means academic theft.

So tell me, what do u think happens to those who steal from others (i.e thieves) according to our justice system?
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Iammesh(m): 10:11am On Apr 15, 2016
A professor for that matter,knowing fully well that plagiarism is an academic offence
if he/she does that,what does he/she expect from his/her students

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sights From The University Of Ilorin / NUC Approves University Of Africa For Bayelsa As 43rd State University / Adeyemi College Of Education Post Utme And Admission Process Information Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.