Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,670 members, 7,955,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:56 AM

University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism (22522 Views)

University Of Calabar Lecturer Gives Coke To His Students During Lecture / University Of Calabar Student Shot Dead (Graphic Photo) / History Produces First Class In University Of Calabar (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 1:18pm On Apr 14, 2016
Keneking:
Amazing decision...Where is Turnitin plagarism software sef undecided

"A professor, the VC said, was also retired by the Senate for plagiarism." embarassed

They should review all the PhD Students/ Candidates he supervised as academic. Click like if you agree.

I am sure most of those in Government ie local, state and federal that earned their phd's from this University would be affected. shocked

How many people in Nigeria do you think knows that?
I can bet my boss that you have not lived all your life in Nja uni

In nja they hardly let us know the implication of these things
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 14, 2016
favoured234:

How many people in Nigeria do you think knows that?
I can bet my boss that you have not lived all your life in Nja uni

Really cool
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by lexo99: 1:20pm On Apr 14, 2016
for real?
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by fromnigeria(m): 1:26pm On Apr 14, 2016
[quote author=asapjoey post=44693970][/quote] Police denied killing any student
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
fromnigeria:

http://thenationonlineng.net/unical-retires-professor-alleged-plagiarism/
how can the bastards say that when corruption itself reigns supreme in unical? Black Pots looking for black kettles undecided
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by jarmy: 1:28pm On Apr 14, 2016
must you offer anti corruption as a course? petroleum engineering is a course in Nigeria, yet we suffer fuel scarcity
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 14, 2016
Keneking:

Really cool

Yea.. During my project I didn't even know the implication of not referencing some works... Copy, paste and impress your supervisor

Late last year I was reading someone's BSc project and I wondered why the lecturer (a doctorate degree holder) approved that with so much information without references..... Lets say "About 22 of the world's population is black"... No ref
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by professore(m): 1:30pm On Apr 14, 2016
kennygee:
What will it cost to acknowledge ur sources?
You said so much using a few words

1 Like

Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by KingTom(m): 1:31pm On Apr 14, 2016
gossipatrol:
He should be stripped of the professorship because am sure the plagiarism was done in his Professorship thesis
no such thing as professorship thesis
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by AZeD1(m): 1:33pm On Apr 14, 2016
Keneking:

You say wetin? A common software for academic purpose is cheap, less than the CONUASS pay for one Professor in a federal university shocked
I don't know how much turnitin costs but the student version "write check" costs $7.95 for a paper. I know institutions would get it cheaper but I don't see any government institution in Nigeria paying 5 million plus for a plagiarism software.
Keep in mind that this schools hardy have reliable internet.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:34pm On Apr 14, 2016
amtaken:
So plagiarism is now equivalent to examination malpractices?
For me, plagiarism is worse. It puts to question the qualification of the person that commits it.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 14, 2016
AZeD1:

I don't know how much turnitin costs but the student version "write check" costs $7.95 for a paper. I know institutions would get it cheaper but I don't see any government institution in Nigeria paying 5 million plus for a plagiarism software.
Keep in mind that this schools hardy have reliable internet.

There is money, forget all that income and no expense cry from universities. Cant they charge student differently for this? What is the purpose of paying IT fees of N5,000 per session without anything

What is glo and MTN doing as CSR?
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Northboy(m): 1:40pm On Apr 14, 2016
ernecy:
Yes, the fight for corruption should start from our homes and schools.

It's easy to bend an iron when hot not when cold.
100% Right. Imagine the kind of examination malpractice going on in WAEC right now.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by amtaken(f): 1:46pm On Apr 14, 2016
But they shouldn't merge them together.

OrlandoOwoh:

For me, plagiarism is worse. It puts to question the qualification of the person that commits it.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by amtaken(f): 1:48pm On Apr 14, 2016
Ok.

ace05:

it is worse, it's deceit, stealing and unthoughtful.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Sfvalentine(m): 1:50pm On Apr 14, 2016
Please u ppl should help explain what plagiarism is...am lost.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by sirTesco(m): 1:50pm On Apr 14, 2016
searchng4love:

why not hide hide your ignorance by being mute?
Thank u. Help me tell her that professorship title is not like any other degree where u write project work, dissertations or theses. Its a title.

1 Like

Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by amtaken(f): 1:50pm On Apr 14, 2016
If you have been reading like you advised me to you would have known how to observe punctuation marks in a sentence.

Femich18:

Try read and digest and I'm very sure you will get the full version of the message
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 2:02pm On Apr 14, 2016
Wow! It's very disgraceful for a Professor to indulge in such immoral act....plagiarism!!! that's a result of the inability to independently think..I think his PhD dissertation should be questioned.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Bjergtrolde: 2:08pm On Apr 14, 2016
fromnigeria:

http://thenationonlineng.net/unical-retires-professor-alleged-plagiarism/

Wow!
You expell students for exam malpractice yet you retire a professor? with full benefits .
Students are still you and may not know the full implications of their actions, a professor on the other hand knows better.
This merits a sack for both the professor and members of the senate
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 14, 2016
sirTesco:

Thank u. Help me tell her that professorship title is not like any other degree where u write project work, dissertations or theses. Its a title.

But it is a title AFTER being certified, with undeniable proofs, to be an authority in a field. Becoming one requires passion for your field and this makes me to question the committee that approved his application for professorship. His referees should also be questioned, otherwise he got the title through sycophancy which is very common in Nigerian academia.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by lacasera14(m): 2:17pm On Apr 14, 2016
gp6liveth:
Unical is not the only uni offering anti-corruption course. I also did studies in anti-corruption in UNIBEN at the PG level.
For plagiarism, its a big offence. How lazy or stingy is that prof not to run plagiarism test on the article or book.

Most Nigerian book authors mostly are lazy writers. They will just get a foreign book, remove the cover page and put their name, thereafter, they start selling it for students.

If ur fada na lecturer pls warn him of plagiarism and student extortion.

I need 3 trustworthy and ethically upright persons to join me so we can subscribe to a better plagiarism checker called grammarly. Contact me through gp6liveth4ever@yahoo.com
Are 100l students of UNIBEN doing Anti-corruption studies as a course on it's own? my VC knows what's his saying stop contradicting his claims.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by bife: 2:46pm On Apr 14, 2016
amtaken:

plagiarism is WORSE. PLAGIARISM =MALPRACTICE +STEALING
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 14, 2016
amtaken:
... More severe than examination malpractices at doctoral level...
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by IamAtribalist: 3:25pm On Apr 14, 2016
modelmike7:
In other climes , he would be in jail by now.

cool Which other climes? Plagiarism, I don't think, is a jail-able offence anywhere. cool
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by IamAtribalist: 3:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
kennygee:
What will it cost to acknowledge ur sources?

cool Its not just a matter of acknowledging - you have to use your own words too. cool

1 Like

Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by luvility(m): 3:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
gp6liveth:
Unical is not the only uni offering anti-corruption course. I also did studies in anti-corruption in UNIBEN at the PG level.
For plagiarism, its a big offence. How lazy or stingy is that prof not to run plagiarism test on the article or book.

Most Nigerian book authors mostly are lazy writers. They will just get a foreign book, remove the cover page and put their name, thereafter, they start selling it for students.

If ur fada na lecturer pls warn him of plagiarism and student extortion.

I need 3 trustworthy and ethically upright persons to join me so we can subscribe to a better plagiarism checker called grammarly. Contact me through gp6liveth4ever@yahoo.com

Grammarly won't help deplagiarise, it only shows the source of the copied work. Deplagiarising is more than just quoting source or adding reference.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by luvility(m): 3:41pm On Apr 14, 2016
IamAtribalist:

cool Which other climes? Plagiarism, I don't think, is a jail-able offence anywhere. cool

12years jail term.
NA stealing of others works.
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by IamAtribalist: 3:44pm On Apr 14, 2016
luvility:

12years jail term.
NA stealing of others works.

cool Which country? cool
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by ModiKen(m): 4:02pm On Apr 14, 2016
amtaken:

Look up the meaning of plagiarism its even worse than examination malpractice. That Professor ought to be in jail!
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by gossipatrol(f): 4:04pm On Apr 14, 2016
KingTom:
no such thing as professorship thesis

Really? Lmao. I can't stop laughing. My grandfather is a professor, so I know what am saying... but u are funny sha! How do you think lecturers become professors?

Lmao
Re: University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism by ModiKen(m): 4:04pm On Apr 14, 2016
gossipatrol:
He should be stripped of the professorship because am sure the plagiarism was done in his Professorship thesis

Just a correction, there is no thesis to be written in order to be confered with the title of 'Professor'

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? / Started ICAN In SS3, Bags First-Class At 20 / List Of Fully Accredited Online Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.