Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,938 members, 7,835,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment (40924 Views)

Gbajabiamila: Amendment Of CCB Act An Error, Will Not See The Light Of Day / Senate Suspends Amendment Of CCB Act (screenshot) / Division In Senate Over Amendment Of CCB Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by swagzofroyalty(m): 8:31pm On Apr 14, 2016
odikimi:

What the Supreme ruled on was whether it has criminal jurisdiction.
The supreme court from your post held in the affirmative, however with a "but".
i.e limited criminal jurisdiction.
The issue before the court was not whether the charge was a criminal charge, Saraki only quarries the criminal jurisdiction of the cct which I earlier held that it is when the act in question is a crime. Saraki's lawyer is only trying to raise frivolous, scandalous and vexatious objection. He shouldn't have quarried the general jurisdiction of the cct. What he should've quarried was whether the alleged breach of the act amounts to crime or civil breach of trust.
The act is simply a crime

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by 989900B: 8:34pm On Apr 14, 2016
It's a shame some people DO NOT understand the gravity of what the Saraki led senate is trying to do.

Is one man, or some group of self-serving criminals worth plunging our future and kids future into a sink hole for?
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by BeardedMeat(m): 8:36pm On Apr 14, 2016
eligibility:

For those that are hailing saraki will cry for him if he is kicked out from the football field. For God sake,stop supporting thieves.
Finally, for those encouraging criminality,none of you will go unpunished .
You lots are shameless! Your president forged waec certificate and you all were beating your chest that even with nepa bill as certificate, you would still vote for him! Honestly you guys and your paymasters are hypocrites of international dimension. When this same Saraki and his cohorts destabilized the last administration, you all cheered him then only for him to join APC to continue in his ways and you lots are looking for sympathy, imagine that!!!!
If Saraki pulls through this bloody witchunt by the blood suckers, APC will never be same. You all better crush him now and completely if you CAN or else...
Cc: funlord
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by BeardedMeat(m): 8:37pm On Apr 14, 2016
989900B:
It's a shame some people DO NOT understand the gravity of what the Saraki led senate is trying to do.

Is one man, or some group of self-serving criminals worth plunging our future and kids future into a sink hole for?
How? I bet you don't know. Swerve abeg!
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by OLUWASEUNOJS(m): 8:39pm On Apr 14, 2016
This is amazing! House of Senate, ready to be drown with Saraki trial. Listen to me here, if Saraki play safe wit all dc Gimmick, PMB should ready for toughtime after. Ho! Tussle of Ambition as Citizens battle Suffering....... OMG
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by 989900B: 8:42pm On Apr 14, 2016
BeardedMeat:
How? I bet you don't know. Swerve abeg!

Another e-rat, next thing you'd be running to some c0ck-eyed mods like some deprived cry baby.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 8:42pm On Apr 14, 2016
swagzofroyalty:

A Law demanding for a Suspect or an accused to defend himself in private is a violation of section 36 of the constitution on open trial and same cannot invalidate a criminal trial. The reason for the calling was to clarify ambiguity if any exist but with the kind of Kwara State Government fund lodged in his personal Account, his fraudulent intentions has been established.
Point of correction, the requirement u r quoting is not for an accused, it is at the time of filling the form and not when he is been found culpable. The word accused is at the arraignment level. The essence of calling on the person is to ensure that the person is sure of the information he or she provided. This is the reason Tinubu was freed by same Justice Umar. He overruled himself because of the word " May" which I earlier made reference to.
On the issue of Kwara State government lodging money into his account, that is the reason we called it persecution. The CCT or CCB has no jurisdiction on it. That is simply an efcc matter because it bothers on Financial crime and not declaration of assets. I see no rational behind that statement from the witness and I am taken aback as to why didn't Saraki's lawyer object to such line of question because it has no relevancy to the case before the tribunal.
As a matter of principle, character evidence in criminal matter is inadmissible except the Defendant make a case out of it or the character of the Defendant or Accused is an Issue.
On relevancy of the evidence, see Julius Berger v. Useni a "celebra causa" on this.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 8:51pm On Apr 14, 2016
swagzofroyalty:

The act is simply a crime
Please try and read properly so u will comprehend my position before u quote me out of context. I never said the act is or not. I was talking about the Preliminary objection Saraki filed. He didn't coach it as "the alleged act" rather he challenged the generality of the Tribunal's criminal jurisdiction, which was a disservice on his counsel part.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by PentiumPro(f): 8:52pm On Apr 14, 2016
BeardedMeat:
[s]Until you can no longer access data to post on NL, then will you know that Buhary has failed. Your mates like beremx have seen the light, obiageli has deactivated, edcure is wailing, gbawe is feeling the heat. Defending buhary has never been harder. It sucks to be you right now mehn![/s]
Trash

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Jymsyno2004yahoocouk(m): 8:52pm On Apr 14, 2016
I foresee a major showdown between the executive and the legislature. They might just with hold accent to important bills from our presido pending him accenting this bill to law. Those senators with the 80 SANs are up to some fishy and u never can be too sure until the last card is played.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by PentiumPro(f): 8:55pm On Apr 14, 2016
stonemasonn:
then they accused Tinubu of trying to control the President. Lol. The guy go dey sidon look
Yes...these same people and their backers outside the NASS giving the president a hard time were the same that sold that line of thought to the politically naive President that Tinubu should be tamed.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by kissangel1: 8:58pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:
well done my brave senators!!! That amendment must be passed into law before the end of next month!!! lets speed it up and ensure it gets to the executive for assent before monday

You better repent and turn a new leaf from your evil ways.

You are shameless. You and your bandits want to ruin the future of this country and our children. Instead,
May your children and generation reap the fruits of your wickedness and treachery.

You and your bandits are utterly shameless. We are watching and evil may run fast but good will always triumph.

Wicked and callous bunch of unrepentant thieves.

I am utterly disgusted. SHAME! Saraki, Dino and all the other senate miscreants. Shame on you all.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by BeardedMeat(m): 8:58pm On Apr 14, 2016
989900B:

Another e-rat, next thing you'd be running to some c0ck-eyed mods like some deprived cry baby.
Of course! I will press the button if you step out of turn so that the mods will send you back from where you are coming from.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by BeardedMeat(m): 9:03pm On Apr 14, 2016
PentiumPro:

Trash
grin E pain dem!
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by gfullmoon(m): 9:06pm On Apr 14, 2016
Senator Bukola Saraki and fellow Conspirators should prepare to amend EFFC, ICPC Acts etc. For if he succeeds in this episode, EFFC will start from where CCT stops. If this was OBJ era,you could have been wearing Former Senate President by now. But APC are really following you with "Christian" mind. Our NA has added re-writing Budget for the Executive to their function . This crop of NA are making "jinx like" history.
1. Mainstream party sharing power with opposition party
2. Opposition party more powerful than Mainstream party even with the possibility of producing the Senate President and Speaker Reps if they wish.
3. CCT amendment Bill which is least to Nigerian economic problems to be concluded and passed in recorded 1 month
4. Almost writing Budget for the Executive.
On the positive side, this 8th NA is the most cashless NA in CBN voice except the few being thrown by the Senate President at Members to accompany him to CCT. And if it continues like this people like Senator David Mark and Co who had spent above 12 years in the NA will prefer ending their Senator for Life mind set this time around to enjoy their money, than to be "suffering" for his people like this. The Executive Legislature Budget scandal was indirectly caused by lack of Ghana - must - Go now called in Ghana, Nigeria - must - Come exchanging hands usually in choice hotel or location at odd hours.
That"s why they induced some over zealous and greedy DGs and PSs to pad their Budget with the logical understanding that the President is already under pressure to sign without reading or complaining. Truthfully, PMB is under pressure in regards to the Budget. That"s the consequences of taking unnecessary time to form his Cabinet.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 14, 2016
Decibel:

You should know that Gbajabiamila is a paper tiger in the Green chamber as far as the herdsmen hold sway. cheesy

Lolz!! Gbajabiamilla is that powerful yet he was defeated in the election to produce the speaker!! Abegi make I hear word
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by UdehEbukaC(m): 9:07pm On Apr 14, 2016
JuanDeDios:

Why do you support crooks and conspiracies against Nigeria?
The only conspiracy against Nigeria is the attempt of the President and his cohorts to bridle and subjugate other arms of government.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by PentiumPro(f): 9:11pm On Apr 14, 2016
BeardedMeat:
grin E pain dem!

You must truly be very dumb if you truly believe the antics of some rogue politicians can pain me.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by 989900B: 9:13pm On Apr 14, 2016
BeardedMeat:
Of course! I will press the button if you step out of turn so that the mods will send you back from where you are coming from.

Oh, I'm so scareeeeed Mr. 'Cry-baby-oik' -- It depletes my income!

Which of them 'BeardedMeats' are you? Ewu?
smiley

3 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by 989900B: 9:16pm On Apr 14, 2016
gfullmoon:
Senator Bukola Saraki and fellow Conspirators should prepare to amend EFFC, ICPC Acts etc. For if he succeeds in this episode, EFFC will start from where CCT stops. If this was OBJ era,you could have been wearing Former Senate President by now. But APC are really following you with "Christian" mind. Our NA has added re-writing Budget for the Executive to their function . This crop of NA are making "jinx like" history.
1. Mainstream party sharing power opposition party
2. Opposition party more powerful than Mainstream party even with the possibility of producing the Senate President and Speaker Reps if they wish.
3. CCT amendment Bill which is least to Nigerian economic problems to be concluded and passed in recorded 1 month
On the positive side, this 8th NA is the most cashless NA in CBN voice except the few being thrown by the Senate President at Members to accompany him to CCT. And if it continues like this people like Senator David Mark and Co who had spent above 12 years in the NA will prefer ending their Senator for Life mind set this time around to enjoy their money, than to be "suffering" for his people like this. The Executive Legislature Budget scandal was indirectly caused by lack Ghana - must - Go now called in Ghana Nigeria - must - Come exchanging hands usually in choice hotel or location at odd hours.
That"s why they induced some over zealous and greedy DGs and PSs to pad their Budget with the logical understanding that the President is already under pressure to sign without reading or complaining. Truthfully, PMB is under pressure in regards to the Budget. That"s the consequences of taking unnecessary time to form his Cabinet.

I have a question: if there is enough evidence against Saraki, what would happen if he is arrested by the EFCC?

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by gfullmoon(m): 9:17pm On Apr 14, 2016
1. Mainstream party sharing power with opposition party
3. CCT amendment Bill which is least to Nigerian economic problems, but to be concluded and passed in recorded 1 month
On the positive side, this 8th NA is the most cashless NA in CBN voice except the few being thrown by the Senate President at Members to accompany him to CCT. And if it continues like this people like Senator David Mark and Co who had spent above 12 years in the NA will prefer ending their Senator for Life mind set this time around to enjoy their money, than to be "suffering" for his people like this. The Executive Legislature Budget scandal was indirectly caused by lack of Ghana - must - Go now called in Ghana Nigeria - must - Come exchanging hands usually in choice hotel or location at odd hours.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 14, 2016
swagzofroyalty:

A Law demanding for a Suspect or an accused to defend himself in private is a violation of section 36 of the constitution on open trial and same cannot invalidate a criminal trial. The reason for the calling was to clarify ambiguity if any exist but with the kind of Kwara State Government fund lodged in his personal Account, his fraudulent intentions has been established.
Mehn! I've learned a lot from this thread
With respect to "clarifying the ambiguity", I agree with odikimi that the appellate courts may get Saraki off the hook based on that technicality.

As they say, the law is an ass

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by gfullmoon(m): 9:31pm On Apr 14, 2016
989900B:

I have a question: if there is enough evidence against Saraki, what would happen if he is arrested by the EFCC?
If EFFC does. Amendment of EFCC Act will commence instantly like that of CCT . Even if you try it. Amendment of your name will start in earnest in the Senate.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 9:32pm On Apr 14, 2016
gfullmoon:

If EFFC does. Amendment of EFCC Act will commence instantly like that of CCT . Even if you try it. Amendment of your name will start in earnest in the Senate.
grin grin
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Ryabcool(m): 9:35pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:
well done my brave senators!!! That amendment must be passed into law before the end of next month!!! lets speed it up and ensure it gets to the executive for assent before monday
no words to describe you

4 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Caseless: 9:35pm On Apr 14, 2016
PentiumPro:
APC in government
PDP in power.
Buhari messed up with his ideology of I'm for everybody and not for anybody. This embolden Saraki to carry out the coup against APC and Buhari stand on non-interference in how NASS leadership emerged.
He is paying the price.
spot-on!
This is one of the adverse effect of that stance. They've dealt with him on budget, and more is to come.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Caseless: 9:38pm On Apr 14, 2016
gfullmoon:

grin grin
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by 989900B: 9:43pm On Apr 14, 2016
gfullmoon:

LOL
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by gebest: 9:44pm On Apr 14, 2016
focus7:
You are so clueless to discern that this is not about Saraki being smarter than APC but Nigeria and its future, about your children and great grandchildren, then you may still be alive or even dead but your children will live to surfer the pain of the evil you hailed today.
u and ur family are maad for insulting me. Who hail evil, nonsense
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by precious1967(m): 9:53pm On Apr 14, 2016
these 8th nass senators are enemies of anti-corruption. the house is bunch of anti-progressive and capitalist. God ll punish them one by one.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by orakao8: 9:59pm On Apr 14, 2016
See Liverpool oooo shocked shocked shocked
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 14, 2016
Mynd44:

It is not treason. It is comical really.

The senate has forgotten that laws are not retro-active meaning even if they get that bill signed, it does not apply to Senator Saraki's trial.

Plus the President is not going to sign, they can't get 2/3 of the HOR to effect a veto.

This is a waste of legislative hours
I don't think the real issue here is Saraki per say, its the dangerous implications for the nation in the future . Also you might need to come to grips with the fact that the president won't use his veto

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bashir El-rufai Blasts New York Times For Mocking Buhari's 2nd Term Bid / Nnamdi Kanu To FG: Invite Us To Negotiate Peaceful Exit Of Biafra / Lagos Commissions Ojodu Berger Pedestrian Bridge As It Wears New Look

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.