Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Diya Wept - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Diya Wept (4099 Views)

Anybody Complaining About Buhari Is Wasting His Time – Diya Oladipo / Abacha Offers Oladipo Diya Handkerchief To Wipe Rivers Of Tears / FG Pardons Diya, Yar'adua, Alamieyeseigha & Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diya Wept by oyinda3(f): 11:52pm On Aug 03, 2009
I hear about this infamous incident on NL pretty frequently and i'm wondering who was this guy and why did he weep?
I don't really know much about him except that he was interim president at some point? i really have no clue.
Re: Diya Wept by Nobody: 12:02am On Aug 04, 2009
he was implicated in a coup attempt, I think.

he may have wept during the tribunal hearings maybe.
Re: Diya Wept by Beaf: 12:16am On Aug 04, 2009
I was really let down the way he wept and begged on his knees. . . On TV! I knew Diya (through his kids peers) and visited a few times.
He was the defacto number 2 man under Abacha.

The man was a Lt. General and was implicated in a coup in December 1997. Before the incident, the man had told lots of stories and was breathing fire in public, there was general sympathy and outrage on his behalf (especially in Lagos and the West).
He submitted a pettition to Nigeria's Human Rights Violations Investigation Commission but ended up looking an idiot, because witness after witness potrayed him as a coward, liar and backbiter. It was shameful and all culminated in him on all fours, begging Abacha.

Diya was only outperformed by Major-General Abdulkarim Adisa who actually knelt down, wept and begged a lower ranking officer! shocked

1 Like

Re: Diya Wept by maxsiollun: 1:15am On Aug 04, 2009
Guys this was 1990s coup crazed, military governed Nigeria where the army was deeply politicised. Diya and Adisa were not the only ones who surbordinated themselves to junior officers.

The man they wept and knelt before was Major Hamza Al Mustapha - Abacha's Chief Security Officer and the dreaded head of the Strike Force (a personal killing outfit responsible for the murders of Rewane, Kudirat etc). Any wise person was careful and moderate around Mustapha. He wielded power over life and death.
Re: Diya Wept by oyinda3(f): 1:29am On Aug 04, 2009
ah thanks guys.
i really was confused about what position he held in naija politics. because some other guy was president after abacha not him. abubakar or abdulsallam i think? some name like that.
so i guess he cried because his coup failed. lol that's epic
Re: Diya Wept by Ijawman(m): 1:51am On Aug 04, 2009
How come only Yoruba ''generals'' (note generals in quote) wept and genuflected for a junior officer. Does it have to do with the famed cowardice, the desire to live for another Owambe day, or a reflection of their culture of kneeling down for both junior and senior? shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Diya Wept by oyinda3(f): 1:57am On Aug 04, 2009
yea we are cowards. u happy now, mr braveman anyways what exactly r u looking 4 on this topic ?
Re: Diya Wept by IGWEUSA(m): 2:07am On Aug 04, 2009
Ijawman:

How come only Yoruba ''generals'' (note generals in quote) wept and genuflected for a junior officer. Does it have to do with the famed cowardice, the desire to live for another Owambe day, or a reflection of their culture of kneeling down for both junior and senior? shocked shocked
ROTFLMAO grin grin
Re: Diya Wept by Beaf: 2:08am On Aug 04, 2009
IjawMan: How come only Yoruba ''generals'' (note generals in quote) wept and genuflected for a junior officer. Does it have to do with the famed cowardice, the desire to live for another Owambe day, or a reflection of their culture of kneeling down for both junior and senior?

Was Adisa an Ilorin Fulani or a Yoruba man? I'm not sure which.
Re: Diya Wept by AloyEmeka8: 2:54am On Aug 04, 2009
Make una dey there dey laugh Diya. Diya's case was a miracle for those who do not believe in miracle.
Re: Diya Wept by bawomolo(m): 2:58am On Aug 04, 2009
Beaf:

i thought he was a yoruba from ilorin (kwara)
Re: Diya Wept by AloyEmeka8: 3:04am On Aug 04, 2009
He was Yoruba whenever he needs something from the SW and Fulani anytime he travels to Abuja to scout for contract.
Re: Diya Wept by TheSeeker(m): 5:07am On Aug 04, 2009
Beaf:

A "dual-tribal" dubious man.
Re: Diya Wept by maxsiollun: 7:27pm On Aug 04, 2009
In the Abacha regime, Lt-Gen Diya was the Chief of General Staff (i.e. deputy to Abacha - akin to a Vice President). Maj-Gen Abdulsalam Abubakar was the Chief of Defence Staff (i.e.the number 3). Diya was arrested in December 1997 and tried for coup plotting. Thus he was removed from his position as CGS. No new CGS was appointed, so Abdulsalam effectively became the second highest ranking member of the govt in Diya's absence.

Abacha died in June 1998. When he died there was no obvious successor because the CGS/deputy Diya was in jail. The leading candidates were Maj-Gen Abdulsalam Abubakar - who was now effectively head of the armed forces in Abacha and Diya's absence, Lt-Gen Jerry Useni (Minister of the FCT), and Lt-Gen Mohammed Balarabe Haladu (Minister of Industries). Both Useni and Haladu had senior rank to Abdulsalam but neither was in the military chain of command because they were serving as cabinet ministers.

So it was a question of superior rank versus superior appointment. In the end Abubakar became head of state in succession to Abacha and was promoted to four star General over the heads of Diya, Useni and Haladu.

oyinda.:

ah thanks guys.
i really was confused about what position he held in naija politics. because some other guy was president after abacha not him. abubakar or abdulsallam i think? some name like that.
so i guess he cried because his coup failed. lol that's epic

1 Like

Re: Diya Wept by SapeleGuy: 8:13pm On Aug 04, 2009
Mek una leave the guy, not everybody can be like Sadam who saw the hangman and the noose and still maintained dignity and composure.

Who tell una say soldier no dey cry?
Re: Diya Wept by oyinda3(f): 8:47pm On Aug 04, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Mek una leave the guy, not everybody can be like Sadam who saw the hangman and the noose and still maintained dignity and composure.

Who tell una say soldier no dey cry?

true talk. most of these soldiers sef who don't cry because they say they are men end up with depression eating them up from the inside anyways. some commit suicide eventually.

I would prolly weep too if my life depended on it. lol
Re: Diya Wept by onyengbu1(m): 9:06pm On Aug 04, 2009
It is the ofe-mmanuness in them (Diya and Adisa) that made them weep like toddlers in fromt of a Major.

im not sure any other general from any other tribe will do that. Unless you are talking about Gowon who almost ran away from Lagos when he heard that nzogbu nzigbu chanting biafran soldiers are heading to lagos.

Now back to you guys. Kill ME!! tongue grin
Re: Diya Wept by oyinda3(f): 9:10pm On Aug 04, 2009
i read that azikiwe was in hiding abroad when the first coup took place.
and what does ofe-mmanumess mean? lol
Re: Diya Wept by Ijawman(m): 9:38pm On Aug 04, 2009
Was Azikiwe a soldier? Ofemmanuness means that you guys are cowards. Ogundipe did the same.
Re: Diya Wept by oyinda3(f): 10:05pm On Aug 04, 2009
so azikiwe's cowardice is excused because he was president not soldier? or u mean because he was not yoruba. lol ur funny.

well i heard that when i was young about yorubas being cowards. i didn't know they were referring to diya's case as reference point. but i've always wondered why ppl said that.

anyways, maxsiollun has given a very clear explanation to the topic so i guess the question has been answered.
Re: Diya Wept by back2back(f): 10:13pm On Aug 04, 2009
End of the day, Diya is alive and still enjoy some good time with his family!

You dont argue when you are cornered

that is the difference.
Re: Diya Wept by Ijawman(m): 10:23pm On Aug 04, 2009
June 12, 2003, saw most Yoruba elite run away, tails in-between their legs. Even MKO could not wait to ''reclaim his madate''. They have a history with cowardice
Re: Diya Wept by Ijawman(m): 10:24pm On Aug 04, 2009
Obj is the true Yoruba aleader. He was no coward.
Re: Diya Wept by oyinda3(f): 10:35pm On Aug 04, 2009
Ijawman:

Obj is the true Yoruba aleader. He was no coward.

ewww your leader not mine.

back2back:

End of the day, Diya is alive and still enjoy some good time with his family!

lol true talk
Re: Diya Wept by MrCrackles(m): 10:39pm On Aug 04, 2009
Diya feared death. . . . . I dont blame the old man jare! grin
Re: Diya Wept by nex(m): 11:28pm On Aug 04, 2009
@oyinda

the ibos call the yoruba cowards not because of Diya but because of people like Awolowo. A lot of them felt that the Yoruba would fight the Hausas during the civil war, but the Yorubas "cut liver" and subordinated to the bully.

Yoruba people naturally, love life too much. There is no principle in this world that Yoruba people will give their life up for. Even OBJ who is about the greatest Nigerian war hero, when Murtala Muhammed was killed, I heard OBJ conserved himself in an unknown location till the other officers begged him to come out and take the mantle of leadership.
Re: Diya Wept by texazzpete(m): 7:03am On Aug 05, 2009
I certainly won't mention Ojukwu's jetting out of the country as Biafra collapsed. That was clearly a strategic retreat, not running away as some have mentioned.

Seriously though, tribe has nothing to do with it. Self-preservation is paramount, especially if there's something to live for.

Now, question for you people; if your tribes/people are so bold to laugh in the face of certain death, why haven't we had the sort of revolution in Nigeria that we saw in Ukraine, Thailand and Iran?

please answer this quickly.
Re: Diya Wept by generalzango(m): 7:49am On Aug 05, 2009
Cry,cry General. ha ha ha
Re: Diya Wept by back2back(f): 7:54am On Aug 05, 2009
Even OBJ who is about the greatest Nigerian war hero, when Murtala Muhammed was killed

please get your fact CORRECT!

Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion, is the GREATEST NIGERIA WAR HERO!
Re: Diya Wept by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 05, 2009
Idiagbon is one of the few soldiers I had great respect for. That dude only laughed once in a year; every new year. shocked undecided

1 Like

Re: Diya Wept by youngies(m): 4:09pm On Aug 05, 2009
nuzo:

Idiagbon is one of the few soldiers I had great respect for. That dude only laughed once in a year; every new year. shocked undecided
nuzo source please? grin This wasn't the way I heard it
I heard that he only responds to greetings once in a year; every new year cheesy

1 Like

Re: Diya Wept by Ibime(m): 4:12pm On Aug 05, 2009
back2back:

please get your fact CORRECT!

Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion, is the GREATEST NIGERIA WAR HERO!

Yeah, thats why he shot Adaka Boro in the back! cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jurors In Tears As They Clear Nigerian Student Of despoil / June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts / Yoruba Pull Him Down Syndrome…yoruba Ronu!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.