Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? (22066 Views)

Mechanic Creates 2-faced Car That Can Be Driven Forward & Back At The Same Time / Uber Car That Arrived To Pick Up A Lady In Ghana (Photos) / 12 Ways To Stop A Car With Faulty Brakes (2) (3) (4)

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by softtouch01: 8:25am On Apr 16, 2016
BlissP:
For auto, dont accelerate, gradually, d car will slow down! But make sure u navigate well till it gets to a safe heaven....its heart intensive though.... but its always better u run a pre-check on ur car b4 driving.
......... safe haven* pls note.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Marpol: 8:26am On Apr 16, 2016
Yomieluv:
If at speed,don't step on the brake instantly,else it can tumble.

Just hold on to the steering,and try to control to a halt.

The brake failed so what brake are you engaging? Stop confusing brake failure with burst tyre.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by akanniade10(m): 8:26am On Apr 16, 2016
Exponental:
put in neutral n turn off the engine.

Do not try this, I repeat!!! Do not try this

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by chigoizie7(m): 8:28am On Apr 16, 2016
oglalasioux:

You don't drive more than 40km/h in a crowded road. At that speed, if you keep your cool, you can still stop the car with little or no damage done to you or other road users.

By crowded road, I mean, driving on a free road and den u came towards the crowded road or congested area of the road (traffic) either because of a spoilt vehicle on the road,or a sudden damaged area of the road and den, u tried to apply your brakes and it failed, and den u realised u are very close to the crowded road, how do u do that?

I know one is not meant to be above 40km/h.

But the case I narrated is mostly what happens on naija roads.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by xtivin(m): 8:30am On Apr 16, 2016
oglalasioux:

As a first option it's very very bad. What if you kill the driver of the so called small car. Or are you going to call or send text to the driver that you are about to hit him? Many road accident victims die out of shock and not necessarily bodily harm.

If you suggest hitting a tree or electric pole it's better than hitting a small car. But in the principles of levers and gears, a vehicle stops faster if there is no acceleration while engaged in motion in low gears. All motor vehicles are designed that way.

Early last year an old
Papa driving Peace Mass parked in a hill.climbing
position
used my car as wedge,initially i was mad but i
later understood he choose between my front traffic
light and a very deep valley at d side of d road.we
shared.d cost of damage.offcourse d car was
loaded with passangers.he choose ryt
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by oglalasioux(m): 8:33am On Apr 16, 2016
vickylala239:

If u Hv been driving car...u will knw There are sum situation where u will b in speed not top speed,only Cuz the road is clear only for to round off bending n see cars lining up ahead of you..

Evn in a road Dat is usually clear u culd b shock to see cars lining up ahead of you...why police usual money collection ahead...in Nigeria where any where can b police check point...

I read all that Hv been posted of brake failure.. no one has a perfect answer...

Cuz I knw sum state has open gutter both side,some state road many lane,going opposite direction....

I feel if ur in Nigeria u will knw Wat am saying...

Ur not even talking abt crazy driver who cn stop at any point Jst to drop passengers....

I didn't give a perfect answer. I just gave suggestions. If my suggestions are terrible please ignore them and apply the one you know works for you.

However, a driver who rounds a bend in top speed is a terrible driver. You don't drive at top speeds in cities and towns with gutters either except you've been drinking.

And, yes, I'm in Nigeria and have been driving since 1998.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Livinusc(m): 8:39am On Apr 16, 2016
mankan2k7:
Start confessing
gringringrin
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by sben2308(m): 8:41am On Apr 16, 2016
neolboy:
For Manual cars, put it in neutral

Bro didn't u read d post that don't put d car in neutral .This is educative and Pls don't confuse pple cuz u r confusng pple and u need to b careful cuz wrong info may make pple lose their life's .So pls dis is not a joking matter .Thanks
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by oglalasioux(m): 8:42am On Apr 16, 2016
xtivin:

Early last year an old
Papa driving Peace Mass parked in a hill.climbing
position
used my car as wedge,initially i was mad but i
later understood he choose between my front traffic
light and a very deep valley at d side of d road.we
shared.d cost of damage.offcourse d car was
loaded with passangers.he choose ryt

Because he is an old papa you believe he chose right? And how can that possibly happen in a hill climbing position? In a hill climbing position he can comfortably park the bus deep valley or not. If it's down hill I guess you must have got a very damaged car that 'papa' cannot easily settle.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by oglalasioux(m): 8:48am On Apr 16, 2016
chigoizie7:

By crowded road, I mean, driving on a free road and den u came towards the crowded road or congested area of the road (traffic) either because of a spoilt vehicle on the road,or a sudden damaged area of the road and den, u tried to apply your brakes and it failed, and den u realised u are very close to the crowded road, how do u do that?

I know one is not meant to be above 40km/h.

But the case I narrated is mostly what happens on naija roads.

You have a point. But read the topic again. The topic suggests a situation you are in motion but know your break has failed with some time to act. I guess the condition you posted is among the situations of unavoidable accidents which we hope doesn't happen.

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by FmO4(m): 8:50am On Apr 16, 2016
U 've done well.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Emeka71(m): 8:55am On Apr 16, 2016
bakynes:
For Manual remove ur leg from the accelerator, change to gear 1 and gradually pump your clutch. For Auto, remove ur leg from the accelerator, change to D1 as it slows down a bit pull ur hand brake and change to park.
That can apply on Ore-Benin highway where there is no go-slow with scanty vehicles (note the hills and valleys.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Nobody: 8:57am On Apr 16, 2016
oglalasioux:
1. Don't panic or let your passengers know what's happening. Their yells will complicate matters.

2. Don't switch off the engine.

3. Don't accelerate.

4. Gradually reduce to bottom gears (for automatic drive activate extra drive gradually from 3 to one. Don't engage neutral)

5. Look out for a safe field or empty road and divert.

6. Once the last low gear is engaged the car will rev, stop and stall.

Drive to stay alive. Your family needs you!

Oga your process is too long, accident will surely happen if your advice is taken. angry

1. Change down to the lowest gear

2. swithc off vehicle.

3 Apply handbrake.

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 16, 2016
1. Change to the lowest gear,

2. Manevour vehicle to safe lane

3. Apply hand brake

4 Switch off vehicle.

No 4 is very important for vehicles with automatic transmissions and speedsensors. These are known to accelerate on their own without throttle input from the driver. Notorious products 2003-2008 camry.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by oglalasioux(m): 9:01am On Apr 16, 2016
[quote author=kaeforum post=44747330][/quote]

Switch off engine?

You are bound for steering and hydraulic locks, man. Very dangerous. Applying hand break in speed of even 40km/h can send your car spinning unless you are a stunt driver.

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by xtivin(m): 9:07am On Apr 16, 2016
oglalasioux:

Because he is an old papa you believe he chose right? And how can that possibly happen in a hill climbing position? In a hill climbing position he can comfortably park the bus deep valley or not. If it's down hill I guess you must have got a very damaged car that 'papa' cannot easily settle.

The truth is break failure can happen to anybody and the primary cause is carelessness but when it happens wisdom is required.But lets be sincere even an experienced driver once in a while still drives like a learner thats y we r not perfect as humans.

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by OLUWAFUNMISE(f): 9:11am On Apr 16, 2016
Easier said than done cheesy just your live in the hands of God.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by OLUWAFUNMISE(f): 9:12am On Apr 16, 2016
OLUWAFUNMISE:
Easier said than done cheesy just commit your live in to the hands of God.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by foonshur(m): 9:14am On Apr 16, 2016
Untainted007:
1. Don't panic
2. Remove the gear from drive to neutral, the car's speed will start decreasing.
3. Ensure you are holding the steering firmly and be focused to navigate safely.
4. You may have to place your hand on the horn continuously in case we have some sluggish drivers at your front who have the space to clear off for you to move.
5. You may also have to put on your hazard light.

May God help us all to remember all these things, cos if it dare happens our mind will not even be close to put all these in practice.
Obviously you don't know shit about driving! Remove gear from drive to neutral?
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Krismart(m): 9:16am On Apr 16, 2016
Yomieluv:

Which break again?
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by akuracy(m): 9:16am On Apr 16, 2016
Yomieluv:

bros, dem say brake don fail and you are talking about don't match break immediately. Are you talking about the spiritual brake?
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Krismart(m): 9:30am On Apr 16, 2016
Untainted007:
1. Don't panic
2. Remove the gear from drive to neutral, the car's speed will start decreasing.
3. Ensure you are holding the steering firmly and be focused to navigate safely.
4. You may have to place your hand on the horn continuously in case we have some sluggish drivers at your front who have the space to clear off for you to move.
5. You may also have to put on your hazard light.

May God help us all to remember all these things, cos if it dare happens our mind will not even be close to put all these in practice.
Never shift d gear to neutral cos that will put d car on free acceleration and u loose total control.

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by crackhouse(m): 9:40am On Apr 16, 2016
Yomieluv:

Olodo which brake again?
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by princfred(m): 9:46am On Apr 16, 2016
Hmmm, my brothers and sisters no be shmall tins oh just yesterday the break of my truck failed, Gods grace + most experienced com expertise of my driver as he is a mechanic too saved us. Guess what my driver did? Within 4 seconds he drove to a pavement and scratch the front and back tyres along the pavement long enough for the roadside pavement to hold the truck. If not by now I would still be cooling off in a cell cos the accident would have been very terrible as it was even in front of traffic warden. Thank God with fellow nairalanders. I suggest the auto builders put in a second brake system mainly to be used during break faluire of primary breaking system. Cos the issue of break and break failure is too critical and involves life and death more than any other issure. Its called redundancy or something in engineering.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by cybriz82(m): 9:57am On Apr 16, 2016
See advice abeg see how e dey sweet dem to type..dis 1 say dnt swiutc off d engine.dis 1 say put am for automatic gear.dis 1 say drive to safe haven abi na hell.dis 1 say dn panic..dnt panic if I hear...bt nobody tell u wetin u go do when u are in a plc like oshodi or mushin..nobody tell u how u go jump up with d car to avoid hitin anytin.bro my only advice is for people to stop buying a car witout a brake and dnt drink alumo bitter why drivin b4 u mistek d gearshift for a footbrake.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by divineappo(m): 9:59am On Apr 16, 2016
oglalasioux:
1. Don't panic or let your passengers know what's happening. Their yells will complicate matters.

2. Don't switch off the engine.

3. Don't accelerate.

4. Gradually reduce to bottom gears (for automatic drive activate extra drive gradually from 3 to one. Don't engage neutral)

5. Look out for a safe field or empty road and divert.

6. Once the last low gear is engaged the car will rev, stop and stall.

Drive to stay alive. Your family needs you!

for automatic drive, how do i activate extra drive gradually, enlighten us more
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 16, 2016
I have experienced this scenario driving an automatic down a hill. Looking back now it looked hilarious, my passenger, a guy, was trying to hold the car. Thank God for that Junction that saved our young lives.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by oglalasioux(m): 11:01am On Apr 16, 2016
divineappo:
for automatic drive, how do i activate extra drive gradually, enlighten us more

Most people don't know you can change gears in automatic drives. The numbers are indicated on the lever. While on it go from 3 downwards. Each downward change will reduce the speed of the vehicle.

It's just for temporary measures. It can't guarantee anything. It all depends on the knack of the driver (grace of God doesn't work when one is careless).

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by tickles2luv2016(m): 11:50am On Apr 16, 2016
Yomieluv:

He never said his tyre bursted but was talking about brake failure,so the issue of him not to apply his brake does not arise.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by notoriousbabe: 11:58am On Apr 16, 2016
That is why I prefer aeroplane

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by dandollaz: 12:08pm On Apr 16, 2016
Yomieluv:

step on failed brake.nnaa na wa ohh.

Jelani Aliyu Of General Motors Assumes Office As Director Of NADDC Today(photos) / 11 Interesting Facts About BENTLEY You Should Know / Picture Of The Latest Mode Of Transportation In Nigeria