Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? (22070 Views)

Mechanic Creates 2-faced Car That Can Be Driven Forward & Back At The Same Time / Uber Car That Arrived To Pick Up A Lady In Ghana (Photos) / 12 Ways To Stop A Car With Faulty Brakes (2) (3) (4)

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by tickles2luv2016(m): 12:13pm On Apr 16, 2016
bakynes:
For Manual remove ur leg from the accelerator, change to gear 1 and gradually pump your clutch. For Auto, remove ur leg from the accelerator, change to D1 as it slows down a bit pull ur hand brake and change to park.

Bros na wahh o ow u go engage from gear 4 or 5 to gear 1,its not done,engage from gear 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 nad as u do that the car slows down gradually but if u engage from gear 5 to 1 directly then you risk your car to sommersault .

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by spartanobad(m): 2:55pm On Apr 16, 2016
MrRichy:
Have been wondering, what if my car fails brake ?(God Forbid shaa) what would I do ?
am sure some of us who are new to the car worldk have similar thoughts.
so pls fellow Nairalanders tell us how to stop the car "biko"
I think maintaining ur car in a good shape and checking everything b4 going out for d day will go a long way in helping stop this...
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Emeritus18: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2016
mankan2k7:
Start confessing

Hahahahhahahha funny dude....why pessimism??
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by darealez(m): 3:42pm On Apr 16, 2016
marvelous000:
[size=13pt]
Really haven't seen what i was expecting from drivers here.

This is how i know it is done:-

MANUAL DRIVE

When brake fails and you're on speed.

*hold clutch and discharge all gear to the last gear(gear one).

*when that is done. Release your clutch completely and instantly. Your car will jerk back, hold the clutch again and release it, continue like that until it comes to a stop.

AUTOMATIC:

Lol.. This one na to phone Baba God say you dey showgrin

Well, God no go allow us experience bad thing
[/size]

The only mistake I believe you made was that you didn't turn off the ignition. That's why I prefer manual vehicles... I don't see a way of stopping auto vehicles.

I've stopped several cars by turning off the ignition after cluthing down with the gear back to the highest gear #1. If the ignition is on, then that might be equivalent to a "jump start"

I drove once without clutch... twas terrible and interesting tho but at least it saved me some embarrassment.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by hardeydhoying(m): 5:16pm On Apr 16, 2016
doskie:
dont think you can do anything about automatic. even the manual it has to be on a highway or relatively free way for you to maneuver the speed with the gear . and if you suddenly change from say 5 to 1 because you want to stop or slow so sporadically, it can be very dangerous.
If you're quite good with 'Rev-Matching', you won't have much problem downshifting from 5 - 1.
It all get down to remembering all what you know at that point in time.
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by hardeydhoying(m): 5:45pm On Apr 16, 2016
tickles2luv2016:

Bros na wahh o ow u go engage from gear 4 or 5 to gear 1,its not done,engage from gear 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 nad as u do that the car slows down gradually but if u engage from gear 5 to 1 directly then you risk your car to sommersault .

If you can Rev-Match properly, you can still downshift from 5 - 3 then 3 - 1.

Me I no dey if Im go try 5 - 1 oo
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by drealaz24(m): 8:42pm On Apr 16, 2016
TVTKOKO:
wa gbayi
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by drealaz24(m): 8:42pm On Apr 16, 2016
TVTKOKO:
wa gbayi
omo ladoke abi?
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by vickylala239: 12:57pm On Apr 17, 2016
oglalasioux:

I didn't give a perfect answer. I just gave suggestions. If my suggestions are terrible please ignore them and apply the one you know works for you.

However, a driver who rounds a bend in top speed is a terrible driver. You don't drive at top speeds in cities and towns with gutters either except you've been drinking.

And, yes, I'm in Nigeria and have been driving since 1998.

Bros we are Nt pissed here..

Am Nt talking abt sharp corners a car running @ 70 to 80 is moderate of free lane road...d issue is Evn @ 60 u cnt Evn control a car with gutters @ both with Crious accident...

Also brake Dnt fail in town or cities alone, u knw..does who are in cities travel out of cities too,does who are not in cities travel to cities too..is Nt a matter of town or city..

It may interest to knw Dat brake failure is Evn mre dangerous in cities Dan any other place...Evn at a low speed,cities are crowded with keke, bikes, sellers,passengers,commercial drivers etc...Evn to apply emergency parking or clearing is very very dangerous, as Ppl walk both sides..

If u knw Wat a car @ speed of 30 to 40kmp without brake culd do in city,u will Nt b saying this...

Common bicycle on motion,is vry dangerous to jump of it..without crious injuries...talk mre of a car....

All am basically saying is this...none of the suggestions here has a convinced Way of avoiding d damages Dat it will cause...

I also think the whites are basically missing on this as There is no solution....

11 Interesting Facts About BENTLEY You Should Know / Picture Of The Latest Mode Of Transportation In Nigeria / Man Smashes His £100,000 BMW M6 In Protest About Car’s Reliability