Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,496 members, 7,836,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? (1567 Views)

2019: What Will Happen To Nigerians If Buhari Decides To Re-contest - Shehu Sani / Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate / If Government Can Pay Herdsmen From Killing Why Not Pay Niger Delta Militants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 16, 2016
Polygamy, a common practice in African culture, has led to increase in population overtime.

What are NLs reactions if government should prohibits Polygamy in Nigeria?

Source: Leadership Newspaper
http://leadership.ng/news/518656/react-government-decides-prohibit-polygamy-nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Galacious1: 11:26am On Apr 16, 2016
I'l b glad. Polygamy affected my childhood due to jealousy, animosity etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by chriskosherbal(m): 11:28am On Apr 16, 2016
I think polygamy practice in Africa is rooted in our tradition and religion and will be very hard to prohibit.

4 Likes

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by OPCNAIRALAND: 11:34am On Apr 16, 2016
FriendChoice:
Polygamy, a common practice in African culture, has led to increase in population overtime.

thank God we don't have a brainless, suicidal person like you in charge of government.
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by NobleAngell(f): 11:35am On Apr 16, 2016
That will be the best news everrrrrr. Are they even considering that?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by funlord(m): 11:37am On Apr 16, 2016
grin

With joy! Polygamy is meant for _stupid men only! Everyone knows it is not possible to satisfy more than 1 woman at a time!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 16, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

thank God we don't have a brainless, suicidal person like you in charge of government.

Why are you insulting me? Provide reason for that?

2 Likes

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Terry68: 11:41am On Apr 16, 2016
Still trying to figure why girls are on the increase to boys in the world today.

1 Like

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 16, 2016
Terry68:
Still trying to figure why girls are on the increase to boys in the world today.
The answer is simple. END TIME
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 16, 2016

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by enlightenedmind: 11:57am On Apr 16, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Be practical. There is a population increase. And the population increase is higher than our productive capacity, GDP revenue and level of wealth creation put together. Something needs to be done.

Not to kill people of course. Just reducing the number of children per family and eradicating any ancient traditions [not african traditions, i love africa, just unnecessary ones] that do not yield productive value.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:58am On Apr 16, 2016
FriendChoice:

For starters, nothing is wrong with population increase.

To your question, you mean government officials many of whom are Muslims would prohibit polygamy!

1 Like

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by enlightenedmind: 12:01pm On Apr 16, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

To your question, you mean government officials many of whom are Muslims would prohibit polygamy!

What is the essence of giving birth to 10 children and only one goes to bring and contribute to society positively. The rest are just dere doing nothing. Productivity is diminished bcoz u have to drag along so many other people. Be practical

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Terry68: 12:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
FriendChoice:

The answer is simple. END TIME

After thorough research I discovered; the probability of having a female child is much more than having a male child.

This is due to dominance and active state of Y-chromosome on its first day of ovulation; and gradually becomes recessive as ovulation continues theyby making rooms for X-chromosome to be active.

Back to the topic: it will be a nice idea cos the rapid increase in population is adversely affecting positive productivity

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Volksfuhrer(m): 12:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
NobleAngell:
That will be the best news everrrrrr. Are they even considering that?

Who would consider it? The Imams? Not in a hundred years.
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Volksfuhrer(m): 12:14pm On Apr 16, 2016
enlightenedmind:

What is the essence of giving birth to 10 children and only one goes to bring and contribute to society positively. The rest are just dere doing nothing. Productivity is diminished bcoz u have to drag along so many other people. Be practical

Your assumptions and presumptions are false. Are you saying monogamous families do not have many children! Heck! I've seen a 'poor' couple with 13 kids! And there are a considerable number of wealthy polygamous families who take good care of their children. So what exactly is your point?
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Fmartin(m): 12:31pm On Apr 16, 2016
Lesbianism wil b tripled... Insufficient husbands
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 16, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

I don't mean that it should be prohibited. I simply asked a question. Everyone have different opinion.
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by enlightenedmind: 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

Your assumptions and presumptions are false. Are you saying monogamous families do not have many children! Heck! I've seen a 'poor' couple with 13 kids! And there are a considerable number of wealthy polygamous families who take good care of their children. So what exactly is your point?

No i am saying if u want to marry 20 wives go ahead but a cap must be put on the amount of children each family can have.
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by enlightenedmind: 1:04pm On Apr 16, 2016
Terry68:

WW1 and WWII. Wiped out all the good men on earth in battle. Those events forever changed the balance in the world. Except you somehow find a way to kill 40 million females in a situation where 0 males are killed, it will forever be like that.

1 Like

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by olafum1(m): 1:10pm On Apr 16, 2016
Government should not only prohibits polygamy, but should also limits child bearing of every man to three. This will lessen the number of child born-to-suffer and the almajiri system as the case is in Nigeria.
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 16, 2016
Polygamy is a sin before God... I think its better to cheat on ur wife wit one hot gurl for a night since it's a smaller sin... cool

Hypocritical religious extremists will attack me naw
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 16, 2016
crixtex:
Polygamy is a sin before God... I think its better to cheat on ur wife wit one hot gurl for a night since it's a smaller sin... cool

Hypocritical religious extremists will attack me naw
Quran (4:3) - "Marry of the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four; and if you fear that ye cannot do justice (to so many) then one (only) or (the captives) that your right hands possess.

Let us look at some of the verses from the Old Testament that allow polygamy:

In Exodus 21:10, a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3, King David had six wives and numerous concubines.

In 1 Kings 11:3, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21, King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.

In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

New Testament

Jesus said: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)"

Christians always say as an excuse "Oh this law doesn't exist in the New Testament, it is only the Old Testament." Well, according to Matthew 5:17-18 above, we clearly see that Jesus honored the Old Testament, and forces Christians to follow the unmodified laws of it that have not been replaced by newer ones in the New Testament. The Old Testament as we clearly see above does indeed allow polygamy without a shadow of a doubt !!.

2 Likes

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 16, 2016
FriendChoice:

Quran (4:3) - "Marry of the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four; and if you fear that ye cannot do justice (to so many) then one (only) or (the captives) that your right hands possess.

Let us look at some of the verses from the Old Testament that allow polygamy:

In Exodus 21:10, a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3, King David had six wives and numerous concubines.

In 1 Kings 11:3, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21, King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.

In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

New Testament

Jesus said: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)"

Christians always say as an excuse "Oh this law doesn't exist in the New Testament, it is only the Old Testament." Well, according to Matthew 5:17-18 above, we clearly see that Jesus honored the Old Testament, and forces Christians to follow the unmodified laws of it that have not been replaced by newer ones in the New Testament. The Old Testament as we clearly see above does indeed allow polygamy without a shadow of a doubt !!.

Lols... polygamy is prohibited in Christianity. ...

1 Like

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Volksfuhrer(m): 3:00pm On Apr 16, 2016
enlightenedmind:

No i am saying if u want to marry 20 wives go ahead but a cap must be put on the amount of children each family can have.

Your proposition is still vague. Are you limiting the number of children each woman should have or what? Whether 10 women are married to one guy (polygamy) or 10 different guys (monogamy) has no bearing on population growth if each woman is allowed the same number of children.

In any case, I see every human being as a great resource, the more the better. The Malthusian nonsense of overpopulation is Stone-Age economics. Many of the world's richest men owe their wealth directly or indirectly to huge population growth!

1 Like

Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Volksfuhrer(m): 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2016
olafum1:
Government should not only prohibits polygamy, but should also limits child bearing of every man to three. This will lessen the number of child born-to-suffer and the almajiri system as the case his in Nigeria.

Limiting polygamy is religious and cultural bigotry.
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by olafum1(m): 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

Limiting polygamy is religious and cultural bigotry.

You are wrong, and in the real sense my argument is against multiple birth in which polygamy plays a huge role. Some men can be very irresponsible causing nuisance to the society by giving birth to children they can't send to school or properly take care of.

The govt eventually Will take over the mess this children is creating everywhere, and that's why the govt role in enforcing a rule on this matter cannot be over emphasized. Think bro
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by olafum1(m): 4:05pm On Apr 16, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

Your proposition is still vague. Are you limiting the number of children each woman should have or what? Whether 10 women are married to one guy (polygamy) or 10 different guys (monogamy) has no bearing on population growth if each woman is allowed the same number of children.

In any case, I see every human being as a great resource, the more the better. The Malthusian nonsense of overpopulation is Stone-Age economics. Many of the world's richest men owe their wealth directly or indirectly to huge population growth!

Limiting the no of birth to 3/man will work contrary to ur assertion up there. So if u like marry four which means one of ur wife won't give birth, or you pay the govt consecutively every year for giving birth to a fourth.

As I said earlier, Just think Bro. I'm managing my phone ba3 and can't type Reasoning into you
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by OPCNAIRALAND: 4:24pm On Apr 16, 2016
FriendChoice:

Why are you insulting me? Provide reason for that?

If you were President of this country I will assassinate you first before you had chance to force me to forego multiple poussies. This is why I call you suicidal....

You are brainless because how do you expect to enrich cultural values when money I ought to spend at home with three wives is wasted outside on mistresses and pregnancies? eehn
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 16, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

If you were President of this country I will assassinate you first before you had chance to force me to forego multiple poussies. This is why I call you suicidal....

You are brainless because how do you expect to enrich cultural values when money I ought to spend at home with three wives is wasted outside on mistresses and pregnancies? eehn

Gerrarahia mehn. I only asked a question, you never know my own opinion, but you're here saying rubbish.
You would have asked my own opinion first.
Re: How Would You React If Government Decides To Prohibit Polygamy In Nigeria? by OPCNAIRALAND: 4:50pm On Apr 16, 2016
FriendChoice:

Gerrarahia mehn. I only asked a question, you never know my own opinion, but you're here saying rubbish.
You would have asked my own opinion first.

your opinion does not count. the mere fact that you want to turn our eligible women into prostitutes is enough reason to castrate you. when you become President please dont float this idea....if the women dont get you first I will. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking: Troops Kill 27 Boko Haram Terrorists In Borno (Photos) / See The Achievements Of APC In Just 16 Months / PHOTOS: Nsima Ekere Takes Over As NDDC Managing Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.