Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You (1643 Views)

Do NOT Marry Someone Until You Can Honestly Answer These 20 Questions: / Can You Marry Someone From Another Cultural Back Ground?and Why / Can You Tell If A Girl Is Going To Get Fat When She Is Older? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by ichommy(m): 12:16pm On Aug 04, 2009
hi my fellow NL can you marry some one that is older than you cos as for me i can marry a lady that is older that cos it gave you more rep but on the order side some people hate it bt not a big deal as for me i cant cos i have a bro that is wife is 3 years older than him bt it such a respective wife bt some women it gave them oppurtinuty to disrespect

THANKS

ichommy
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by posakosa(m): 12:32pm On Aug 04, 2009
why would a man want an arugbo for a wife ? same age ok, younger than, better, old than, naaaah!
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by galatico(m): 2:00pm On Aug 04, 2009
There is nothing bad in a guy marrying a lady that is older than him, age is nothing but the number of days man,
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by ashaby(f): 2:36pm On Aug 04, 2009
I know of a guy who married a lady 6 years his senior. I was one of the critic who thought their relationship was not going to work. To the glory of God, they are now married and happy together. Their relationship taught me a lesson: Anything can work, if u are determined.
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by ichommy(m): 2:49pm On Aug 04, 2009
yes you are very right age is numbers
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by IFELEKE(m): 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2009
Age is in numbers but only few reason along that line. . .
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by tosyne007(m): 3:07pm On Aug 04, 2009
personally, i dont hav issues with the age difference. It depends on one's perspective and belief. It also depends on the type of partner one has. I've said it once and i will say it again, my current babe is a lil' bit older than i am (with months) but we are having a cool one.

So, it depends on the mentality of the partners and wat the relationship is based on.
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by TheSeeker(m): 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2009
Marriage works with different factors:
* Understanding

* Love

* Romance

* Fidelity

* Respect

* Being adventurous, etc.,

Of all these things, which does age have any relation with? Age is just a mere serial number that if it hadn't been for scientific reasons, we'd all have lost count.
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by ichommy(m): 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2009
@ ifeleke

u are right bt all the sane age is still a number
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by ichommy(m): 3:17pm On Aug 04, 2009
@ theseeker

nice post wink
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by whitelexi(m): 3:18pm On Aug 04, 2009
I'm a rather orthodox minded man and based on the fact that i'm the true son of my father, my answer would be a resounding NO. I would prefer to provide for my family and earn my respect that way, there is no restriction on the wife if she wants to work but there has to be a very well defined framework in place as to who is the man and the head of the family. To that effect, the age gap has to be a minimum of 5yrs to start with.

PS: I want my ishi-okuko on xmas day too grin grin grin

and no woman drama oh
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by steve49ja(m): 3:21pm On Aug 04, 2009
Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You

For what?? undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by TheSeeker(m): 3:27pm On Aug 04, 2009
whitelexi:

I'm a rather orthodox minded man and based on the fact that i'm the true son of my father, my answer would be a resounding NO. I would prefer to provide for my family and earn my respect that way, there is no restriction on the wife if she wants to work but there has to be a very well defined framework in place as to who is the man and the head of the family. To that effect, the age gap has to be a minimum of 5yrs to start with.

PS: I want my ishi-okuko on xmas day too grin grin grin

and no woman drama oh
My main man, what's good? Oya, let's dissect your comment. I understand you being all orthodox, not wanting to adopt the new western kind of system and all that. If your wife is older than you, does that stop you from earning your respect? If you're younger than your wife you're still the head of the family and nothing has changed that. It won't stop your "isi-okuko" too grin. As long as you maintain your maturity and treat your wife the right way you should, you'll always get your respect.

If you fail to perform your civic duties in your own home, if you're 20 years older than your wife, you'll still be less than a chaff to her. But I respect your opinion man, you got policy and that's what's up! They say a man's got two things -- his balls and his word.
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by whitelexi(m): 3:39pm On Aug 04, 2009
TheSeeker:

My main man, what's good? Oya, let's dissect your comment. I understand you being all orthodox, not wanting to adopt the new western kind of system and all that. If your wife is older than you, does that stop you from earning your respect? If you're younger than your wife you're still the head of the family and nothing has changed that. It won't stop your "isi-okuko" too grin. As long as you maintain your maturity and treat your wife the right way you should, you'll always get your respect.

If you fail to perform your civic duties in your own home, if you're 20 years older than your wife, you'll still be less than a chaff to her. But I respect your opinion man, you got policy and that's what's up! They say a man's got two things -- his balls and his word.

I like the way u ended your above post - very nice.  The thing is that everything u've talked about will work if its a babe from any other part of the world, naija babes are different. . .  Just as they attach sooooooo much to respect coming with age - [ask a grown naija woman for her age, and on the average you'll get an answer that is in turn a question of its own - u dont get that when u ask a foreigner no matter their age.], they will also only respect u if they know u are well older than they are. . .   I guess proper love and proper respect creeps into the picture later when u start providing for her but the disrespect from the initial stages alone can crash the entire relationship if care is not taken. grin
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by debest1(m): 3:45pm On Aug 04, 2009
whitelexi:

I like the way u ended your above post - very nice. The thing is that everything u've talked about will work if its a babe from any other part of the world, naija babes are different. . . Just as they attach sooooooo much to respect coming with age - [ask a grown naija woman for her age, and on the average you'll get an answer that is in turn a question of its own - u dont get that when u ask a foreigner no matter their age.], they will also only respect u if they know u are well older than they are. . . I guess proper love and proper respect creeps into the picture later when u start providing for her but the disrespect from the initial stages alone can crash the entire relationship if care is not taken. grin
I have to agree with you m8, this would be a non-issue in europe or america, but in naija haaaaa; i dont think so. I have a friend who's been married to a woman 6yrs older than him for the past 11yrs and they are still going strong. The reason, well he's a pastor and she's a strong christian. Apart from the grace of God that would make an older woman submit to her younger husband, I can't see it happen in naija. The slightest argument and the woman go sey he no get respect
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by TheSeeker(m): 4:00pm On Aug 04, 2009
whitelexi:

I like the way u ended your above post - very nice.  The thing is that everything u've talked about will work if its a babe from any other part of the world, naija babes are different. . .  Just as they attach sooooooo much to respect coming with age - [ask a grown naija woman for her age, and on the average you'll get an answer that is in turn a question of its own - u dont get that when u ask a foreigner no matter their age.], they will also only respect u if they know u are well older than they are. . .   I guess proper love and proper respect creeps into the picture later when u start providing for her but the disrespect from the initial stages alone can crash the entire relationship if care is not taken. grin
Well, that's true. I do know a few couples whose husbands are younger than them. I understand where you're coming from though. It's part of what I've been saying on some threads, Nigeria needs to see beyond her cultural benchmarks. We have to advance in every aspect of life and start to see life as a free gift which we can only make the most of whilst we're in it.

We have to completely let go of all the stigma our supposed culture has barred us from. I don't see anything wrong with a man marrying who's older than him; but like you said, in Nigeria it's a big deal -- family pressure alone is enough to crash the relationship.
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by ichommy(m): 11:26am On Aug 05, 2009
@ thesekker you are right
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by Vladislav(m): 6:28pm On Aug 06, 2009
well , in my opinion, it all depends, on both parties,

i prefer older women , they're a lot easier to manage, they've been there and done that, And so they are very relaxed, and composed, they know when to move and when to sit.

mostly they're very passionate, they know what love truly is.
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by Ben13: 7:15pm On Aug 06, 2009
dis topic don too flwenty
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by Fiona0007: 10:08pm On Aug 06, 2009
We have to completely let go of all the stigma our supposed culture has barred us from. I don't see anything wrong with a man marrying who's older than him; but like you said, in Nigeria it's a big deal -- family pressure alone is enough to crash the relationship.[/color]
[quote][/quote]
shocked it's only a cultural thing, not a right or a wrong, or good or bad!
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by tine(f): 10:22pm On Aug 06, 2009
My Friend is married to a man much younger than her. in fact when we talk about the music we danced to in secondary school he is clueless. she refused to go out with him at first because of the age gap, and even i found it hard wrapping my head around it even though i adviced her to follow her heart. people sadly said a lot of nasty things even at the wedding, but they are now married and happy so I suppose it depends on the parties involved.
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by Hairat007(f): 10:29pm On Aug 06, 2009
steve49ja:

Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You

For what?? undecided

u re only being NIGERIAN dont really blame u lol. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by debest1(m): 10:33pm On Aug 06, 2009
Hairat007:

u re only being NIGERIAN dont really blame u lol. shocked shocked shocked

hairat wud u marry someone 4 yrs younger than u?
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by eleshin(m): 10:52pm On Aug 06, 2009
with all my pride i can do it if i have strong feeling for the girl.inshort i'm doing it right now wink
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by Hairat007(f): 10:57pm On Aug 06, 2009
debest1:

hairat wud u marry someone 4 yrs younger than u?

I wld marry any one younger or older as long as wat i feel 4 im is real LOVE

did i hear u say it doesnt exist? den u re mistaken. lol   wink wink
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by tine(f): 11:09pm On Aug 06, 2009
@ Hairat exactly, when there is love and respect age ceases to matter.
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by bluespice(f): 11:24pm On Aug 06, 2009
im no cougar
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by Fiona0007: 10:22pm On Aug 08, 2009
tine:

@ Hairat exactly, when there is love and respect age ceases to matter.

Turth! cheesy
Your partner can be years older or younger, what matters most is love and understanding.
Re: Can You Marry Someone That Is Older Than You by gowaga68: 11:28am On Aug 09, 2009
Is here love?? i hear someone say she can marry and one younger or older than her is there is Love hm.
For me i can marry any one ,be it old ,young,name it as long as the understanding between us.
well as of ppl that say love i dont believe in Love but Emotional Feelings and Understanding.

(1) (Reply)

Bedwetting Girlfriend Or Boyfriend / I Can't Get Him Off My Mind / I Had An All Night Fling With My Gurlfriends Elda Sista

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.